80 Wagaraw Road
Hawthorne, NJ 07506Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bottagra.com/
- Phone: (973) 423-4433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Carlo Carbonaro/Robert Vicari John Chomenko pastry
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bottagra offers a full off-site and on premise. Catering menu available anytime.
- Private Party Facilities: For a Private dining experience, Bottagra Restaurant offers three separate and very distinct rooms. Perfectly suited for corporate events, intimate weddings, or even just a casual dinner with friends our facilities can cater to all you needs. Our Private Dining Room, with seating for up to twenty, features french doors and separate butlers entrance. Our Lounge, with space for fifteen, has an inviting fireplace as well as flat screen television with state-of-the-art audio visual capabilities. Lastly our Wine Room is large enough to accommodate forty quests and is accented with another fireplace and also showcases Bottagra"s extensive collection of fine wines from around the world.
- Private Party Contact: David Arsenault 9734234433x
- Entertainment: Bottagra Features live music every Friday night as well as special engagements throughout the year. Please check our website for date listings.
A word from Bottagra
Located in Hawthorne"s historic Degray house, Bottagra Restaurant opened its doors in early 2008. What was once used as an encampment for General Lafayette's troops during the Revolutionary War has been transformed into a modern, elegant restaurant with the feel and charm of a Tuscan villa. Chef-Owners Robert Vicari and Carlo Carbonara have fused their extensive restaurant experience together to offer a variety of dishes hailing from both the northern and southern regions of Italy. Offering a full bar and extensive wine list, as well as private rooms, BottagraContinued
is a diners' dream for gatherings both large and small.
is a diners' dream for gatherings both large and small.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bottagra reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (50)fit for foodies (48)good for groups (44)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (21)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Yet Another Great MealTravelerJohnDined on 11/22/2014Been here a few times and, again, we were not disappointed. The menu is thorough with a varied and exceptional selection. The specials are always first rate. Two of us had the Special Salad which was filled with greens, fruit and feta cheese. We also had clams and oysters from the Specials menu. Very good. I ordered linguine vongole which had to be the best I eve ate. We also had pompano and scallops. I cannot complain about anything. Desert was my favorite treat, zepolis with nutella.I can't remember what the others had but there was none left. Service was very good too. Be all means, be sure to go here. You will be not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great nightSarahx4lDined on 11/21/2014Waiter we had was fantastic. Kept the atmosphere and environment energetic. Food was phenomenal. Couldn't have asked for a better nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014This was the 3rd time visiting with my family. We always have a great experience at this place and the food is always excellent. The service was great and the waiter was very accommodating with my 3 kids (6 and under). My wife ordered Filet Mignon and it was a bit over done but they replaced it right away. Otherwise everything we ordered was so delicious. I would highly recommend Linguini Vongole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Forks UpAliZDined on 11/15/2014Not only was the food phenomenal, the service was spot on! Doting and conscientious wait staff served the absolutely delicious meal without any hiccups. I would highly recommend Bottagra!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knowlegable wait staffwelovetoeatDined on 11/8/2014Our waiter recited the specials with great enthusiasm and knowledge. I ordered a half portion of the Pasta Funghi for an appetizer and it was a dinner size portion. It was very good. I had a stuffed prawn, a special, for dinner. It was small, but it went well with size of the pasta. My husband ordered the seafood raw bar sampler for an appetizer and venison osso bucco. Both were excellent. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Expected better from other reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014The food was ok. Nothing special and a little bland. They ran out of a few items we wanted including oysters. The service started out ok but then went downhill fast. They forgot several things through the course of the night. There are a lot better places to eat in North Jersey.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The only downside is the noise level. I don't think having music played as loud as it is helps. I had to yell at the person sitting next to me. Having said that, the food, service and wine list is great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Measure upOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Our 1st visit here will not be our last. Perfect for a special celebration! Had the monkfish special and was highly impressed! Overall a MEMORABLE experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!Jeanette88Dined on 10/25/2014I had my sons christening party here 4 years ago and it was fabulous! Just went Saturday night with a few other couples and had amazing time! Food was DELICIOUS and service was amazing! I had the quail appetizer which was delicious and the braised short ribs that melted in my mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stevecDined on 10/25/2014I was expecting a great dining experience and it didn't disappoint,I like to dine out once a month high end with my wife and enjoy top notch Italian food.Pricing was as expected for this type of atmosphere so no suprises.I will be returning for sure due to the menu being so eclectic and taste worthy.Desserts were very different from the norm 'the usual tiramisu/cannoli/tartufo variety'cofee bar alone is worth noting as its unique in selections.Bravo...Special Features:
- Favorite ReasturantYummyDined on 10/24/2014The staff is amazing and the chef Rob has a great personality and an overall sweet guy. You can tell this is his passion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!justmedeeDined on 10/19/2014This is the second time we have been here. The service is always great and the menu specials are always different. Twice I have been surprised with the specials...because they are items that are hard to find in other places. Wait staff is very helpful and accommodating.Special Features:
- FaboulousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Service was top Notch very attentive staff& Dan the Manager a true professional food was excellent we had the venisen, & duck special which was supurb! I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingbrianDined on 10/18/2014Loved every part! Food was great. Service couldn't be any better. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful food, service is great.LisagraceDined on 10/17/2014Bottagra is a great restaurant. I always look forward to the list of amazing specials the chef comes up with. The wait staff go above and beyond to make your experience memorable. The only thing I can't understand is the noise level in the main dining room. It's way too noisy, especially if you are only a couple out for dinner. I think I will request to sit in the more private room next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014This was our first time here. Our waiter, Joe, was his first night on the job there and we were his first table. He was great. Knowledgeable, curteous and very attentive. We enjoyed our experience very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014we have been at Bottagra many times. On this visit, the service was not the best. Party of 6 - three people got their meals first, then two of us had to wait quite awhile before our meals were served. The sixth person's meal (I think they forgot about)- we had to ask for it. Also, some meals were screwed up, for instance, I had Chicken francese with linguine. My plate came with mashed potatoes and vegetable. Our friend ordered veal parm and mashed potatoes and vegetables, his meal came with pasta. I gave him my mashed potatoes and vegetable. This is the first time that there was a problem. In spite of all this, the food was outstanding and we will of course go to this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReikiDined on 10/4/2014As always the food is very good. However on a Saturday evening the noise level was so high that it is was very difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- GreatKdinardoDined on 9/26/2014Great meal from appetizer, to pasta,to salad, to entree, to dessert. Everything was excellent!Special Features:
- Thoroughly Enjoyedluv2dineDined on 9/20/2014My husband had never been here before, I had (for an early-bird special, which by the way was incredible for the price). We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, the food AND THE SERVICE. It was absolutely perfect and we will be there again soon.Special Features:
- WaiterYummyDined on 9/19/2014Our waiter, Antonio was Fabulous! The food was scrumptious! Our date night couldn't have been more perfect! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!WessieDined on 9/13/2014Friends and I had dinner this past Saturday night, the food was fabulous and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottagra a let downlike2eatDined on 9/13/2014Bottagra was a disappointment. The restaurant was uncomfortably cold, too loud and the service only fair. This dinner was for our anniversary and disappointed us. We would not recommend this restaurant to friends.
- Little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant is very nice and the staff is as well. The food is wonderful and would recommend it. The noise level is too high therefore, I enjoy sitting in a booth and prefer it. The service Saturday, was very poor. This remark is in no way a reflection on our waiter. He was very attentive when possible. It appeared there was a problem in the kitchen.Special Features:
- A True Neighborhood GemSadieDined on 9/6/2014We had a very enjoyable meal at Bottagra on Saturday night. The food was very good and the staff is very competent and friendly. Bottagra is a great location for a meal with family, friends or a couple. The atmosphere is informal, there is a good wine selection, the food is consistently good, and the prices are reasonable. I especially enjoyed the special fig appetizer. Fresh figs were stuffed with Gorgonzola, wrapped in prociutto and baked. They were delicious! We also enjoyed the mahi mahi special and the braised short ribs served with garlic mashed potatoes. We have eaten here several times and are always pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!GinoVIPDined on 8/30/2014This was our second time at Battagra, and even better than the first. We were seated in a private booth which accentuated the romantic atmosphere. Stuffed artichokes and seafood salad as appetizers both prepared with care and well presented. Wife and I both had veal for main coarse and again just excellent. Our dinners were served by our wonderful waiter Antonio. He was friendly, professional, helpful and sociable. The entire evening was wonderful experience! We'll be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I very recently moved to Hawthorne NJ and came across Bottagra. What a great find! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fitzfer921fitzfer921Dined on 8/30/2014NICE FIND THANKS TO OPEN TABLE SUGGESTION.FOOD WAS VERY GOOD.WINE LIST WAS MODERATE.SERVICE BY ALL WAS EXCEPTIONAL ESPECIALLY ANTONIOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Pay attention to the specials....had a pecan crusted tile fish---wow. These reviews get boring because the food is always so good.Special Features:
- Romantic Date NightWillbeback23Dined on 8/16/2014Was given a great, quiet table that provided a great chance to have a conversation with my date. The service was outstanding and very attentive but also did not rush us thru dinner ( which is a big thing for me). The food was amazing and we both enjoyed each course tremendously !Special Features:
- Return Visit - Still Very GoodTravelerJohnDined on 8/16/2014Not much to say. Been here before and not disappointed. Food is exceptional, especially the specials. Service is good, even the busboys. Wine list is adequate and seems reasonably priced. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014Terrific service and wonderful food, I would definitely come back to this restaurant . A gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlo is the bestsuchafoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Carlo has been serving up great Italian food, both traditional and modern, for many years. He just keeps getting better. Every course for each of our four diners was great and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful experienceMoviemanDined on 8/2/2014This is a delightful place for dinner. The staff could not be nicer or more accommodating. The food is delicious and prepared exactly the way you like it. The atmosphere is lovely. The room temperature tends to be on the coolish side but management is working on making it more comfortable. Would recommend it to anyone.
- The following 333 reviews are from the Bottagra reviews archive.
- Expensive but wonderfulepicuriouserinDined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I went here for my birthday. I ordered the carpaccio and oysters. Oysters were delicious & carpaccio was good, although not the best I've had. It was difficult to eat & stuck to the plate, though the arugula salad that went along with it was very good. My boyfriend ordered one of the specials, a strawberry, peach, gorgonzola salad. He liked it very much. We both ordered specials for the entrees. He ordered the hanger steak with potato gratin & broccoli rabe. The steak had a great char & was cooked very well. The potato gratin was to die for, and was a fan of the broccoli rabe. I got the grouper with polenta crust on seafood risotto. EXCELLENT! Can't speak more highly...as a special occasion spot, I definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindFoodloverDined on 7/19/2014Excellent service, Martini and wine. The menu is very creative and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. It wasn't a special occasion but our waiter made it feel like one.Special Features:
- A wonderful eveningMoviemanDined on 7/18/2014The staff at Bottagra was friendly and accommodating and went out of their way to make us comfortable. They were willing to make food in any way we wanted and were concerned that it was to our liking. We had a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLuluDined on 7/17/2014Better than the last time!!! My now "go to" spot for any occasion!!!Special Features:
- LuluDined on 7/2/2014Food is very good. However, the specials were a bit overpriced. Stick to the regular menu.Special Features:
- Good FindReviewmanVIPDined on 6/22/2014First time at restaurant. Very odd location -- next to a place that sells giant (and I mean GIANT) tires. My meal -- chicken parm was very good. Wife thought the special spinach fettuccine had too much pancetta and some of it was under cooked. I tried it and liked it however. Service is good. One odd thing -- I asked the woman who sat us if there was a wine list and the request seemed to throw her. Unsure if most people just buy by the glass or if she was new. Not a big deal, our waiter brought the list. It's just never happened before. I plan on going back to try a second time!Special Features: