41618 Big Bear blvd.
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315Neighborhood:
Big Bear Lake
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 9097588484
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Wednesday - Monday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Italian, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
A word from Botana
"Italian-Mexican fusion Cuisine" Gourmet food in a casual environment at the lowest price. All recipes created by Master Chef Hector Uvence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Botana reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (3)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Innovative and delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The menu here is fixed daily, three courses at lunch, five for dinner. The owner, who acts as host and guide, describes the cuisine as Italian-Mexican fusion. Our dinner had a strongly Mayan influence: chayote soup; lettuce-melon salad with jamaica flower dressing; portobello mushroom stuffed with cotija cheese and chopped vegetables; a beef, chicken, and shrimp kabob; a simple fruit granita for dessert. Every dish was carefully prepared and tasty, while our hands-down favorite was the stuffed mushroom. The service was friendly, helpful and attentive. We asked lots of questions and experienced the host family's enthusiasm for their work. Physically, the restaurant is nothing special; the energy here goes into food and customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not MissEnjoyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Took a day trip to Big Bear and checked Open Table. Saw this one and the great reviews, so I looked at the other large review sites. WOW, well reviewed, so we booked it. Don't be distracted by the neighborhood- on a busy street, parking lot is modest. Go in! The owner spoke to us and helped us personally. Menu is Prix-Fixe and changes daily. 3 course lunch or 5 course dinner. Nothing comes from a can here- all organic, natural and great. Lunch was....Apple Soup (amazing- and I'm not a fan of such items normally), refreshing salad (too unique to describe but really good) and a Chicken Chimichanga (I know it sounds pedestrian but it was so well executed, so tasty, I feel bad describing as such). Anyway, go immediately.You won't be disapointedSpecial Features:
- Excellent preset menu!Lucielovesfood2Dined on 8/27/2014The food served by the chef was excellent, creative and fresh! It is a preset menu of 5 courses and all were excellent. We were 6 dining and all went back the next day for a fabulous lunch!Special Features:
- made a special occassion specialwhats4dinnerDined on 8/8/2014We loved the idea of being served a 4 course meal without the decision of what it was going to be. The Chef is very personable and takes time with all his guests. The chef recommended a wine to go with the meal and it was excellent. The price per person was extremely reasonable. you do have to pay for wine/beer/mixed drinks separately but that is not any different than any other place you go. would highly recommend Botana. The dishes were not huge so that you would need to take home a "doggy bag" but more than enough for dinner. We plan on returning in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findyummerooniesDined on 8/4/2014A wonderful and creative meal, skillfully done - each course an experience to savor.Special Features:
- JustMeDined on 7/24/2014Loved this restaurant. Great value, great food. 5 courses of freshly prepared food. The chef easily accommarws us for gluten, soy & egg free items. Don't miss this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful gem in Big BearTraceyRVIPDined on 7/4/2014When visiting Big Bear, I always just dealt with the fact that it was difficult to find a healthy and good quality meal...until recently. We came across Botana after reading some reviews on Trip Advisor and it did not disappoint. They use all organic ingredients and prepare each meal from scratch and it shows. And while the menu is prix fixe (and very affordable), they are able to accommodate for dietary restrictions like lactose intolerance, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc. It was an exceptional treat that they made a carrot soup with coconut milk (delicious) for my daughter and I while everyone else had the traditional recipe made with cream. Just wish they would get rid of the fake flocked pine tree when you first walk in.Special Features:
- somethings up revievs dont match ??sherisDined on 7/3/2014i read several reviews for this place the one i dont under stand was 32$ for 2 people an drinks i on the other hand was charged 59$ thats a far cry from all the reviews i read about how cheep the price was for a so call 6 corse meal soup an salad were great the next corse was small tortilla with cheese an tomato sauce on top an the dinner was pasta with a small peace of beef with moley on top deseart was a spoon full of rice pudding i asumed this was a nice restaurant it was nothing but bad mexican food in small portions way over priced i made a reservation on line an he didnt even know about it an my husband is a vegetarian an this was a big fail for big bear every where else we ate was great huge plates full of food for good prices !!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Food was quite good, but the service was a bit rushed. It was a 5 course fixed price meal, and each next course arrived before the previous one was finished. We mentioned it to the owner, and he is working on that.Special Features:
- Should NOT be overlooked!WinendineDined on 6/22/2014This is not your typical dining experience. If you enjoy Italian and Mexican food, you will love the new things that Chef David creates! The cuisine is a fusion between the two. He creates a five course meal each day and that is what is on the menu. Everything we had for dinner was absolutely wonderful. The wine he suggested paired perfectly with the food served. The apple soup was to die for. He explains the menu and what ingredients he uses, if you need him to switch something out... he willingly accommodates. Please give this new spot a try, if you are open minded and adventurous in your dining experiences.... you will enjoy it very much! David was delightful and we received fabulous service. One of our new favorite places to eat!!Special Features:
- Calling All Foodies!lskesq95VIPDined on 6/21/2014It's fun to find a new place...but Italian-Mexican Fusion? We didn't completely understand it then, but we sure do now! (Think jalapeño risotto.) The owner is a well traveled Italian (50%)/Mexican (50%) who landed in Big Bear. He put his highly refined palate to work and decided to open a restaurant. He is both the food and wine menu --super fun! There is no menu, per se. There is a different, inspired 5-course meal served each night, and they happily cater to vegetarians and vegans, as well as the non-fussy types. Each course that arrived (and I did vegetarian) was fabulous. We loved the wine! The highly personalized service added to the experience. All in all, it's like eating a gourmet meal at a friend's house. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Dining AdventureJosephVIPDined on 5/31/2014Owner/Chef David took great care in explaining each of the five courses and paired an amazing wine with his Italian/Mexican fusion creations! We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and we will definately be back for a return visit the next time we are in Big Bear Lake! The fixed menu made dining easy and fun - the wonderful staff just brings it on. Don't be in a hurry-just enjoy. We loved it!Special Features:
- Fixed Price GemcarollVIPDined on 5/24/2014Wow. We didn't quite know what to expect from the description of "Italian Mexican Fusion". All I can say it is very good food and worth visiting. The owner-chef David is very engaging. We started with warm apple soup. Yes, apple soup. All 6 of us love it. There were 5 courses. The main course was chicken. According to David, he can easily accommodate vegetarians and vegans too. We will definitely try Botana again. The cost of the evening was extremely reasonable. There is no pretension here-just great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 5 reviews are from the Botana reviews archive.
- Botana is wonderful!gennanieDined on 4/24/2014The delicious, reasonably pricef organic food at Botana is a treasure. The menu is never the same. Owner Davide is a charming host and very knowledgeable about his menu and in suggesting a wine pairing for the meal. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Bear 1st VisitAnnivNo7VIPDined on 4/12/2014Decided to give this place a try from comments on Trip Advisor. The food was good and tasty. It is a set menu each day. They do sort of have portion control going as each dish is brought to you in a common bowl/plate and you divide up from there. The food was good, and the price for the two of us for dinner + San Pellegrino's and coffee was $41 + tip. Our only problem was that when we arrived, they said they need to take cash only as their system had crashed, so no MC, Visa, Amex. They did not know what I meant when I said we had an Open Table reservation. We will go back again to try another set menu and see how it goes a second time. The prices make it worthwhile. Just opened this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was different but excellent.RosieDined on 3/6/2014Food was different but excellent. Service was great. Recommend tablecloths to add to the ambiance.Special Features:
- we loved the set menu andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014we loved the set menu and look forward to another food adventureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLauvegDined on 2/17/2014There is a dif menu every night. Great quality food and dif tastes that you will love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.