41618 Big Bear blvd.
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315Neighborhood:
Big Bear Lake
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (909) 758-8484
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Wednesday - Monday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Italian, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
A word from Botana
"Italian-Mexican fusion Cuisine" Gourmet food in a casual environment at the lowest price. All recipes created by Master Chef Hector Uvence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Botana - Best Restaurants in Big Bear Lake ›
Botana reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (7)good for groups (5)romantic (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Wonderful place to eatdeislerfamDined on 11/20/2014Owner David makes eating at his restaurant truly enjoyable = his personality, attention to detail, friendliness make this place so enjoyable. The food is unique for Big Bear and reasonalbly priced. Every course is delicious and beautifully presented. We come again and again and have never had the same thing twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique local gemphrslcDined on 11/9/2014My wife and I were looking for a nice quiet evening meal and found Botana. There is no menu, and the meal is price fixed ($54 for two). We had a five course meal, which was a lot of food. It was very good: soup, salad, pasta, entre, and desert. The personal and engaging service was outstanding. We asked about wine (no wine menu), and were offered a reasonably priced, outstanding red to match our meal. The lack of a menu may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it worked for us, and we enjoyed our dinner experience there.Special Features:
- Great Addition to Big BearLindaVIPDined on 11/8/2014A reasonably priced prix fixe menu that delivered fabulous tastes. David takes time to chat with customers about his background and passion for the food. I will look forward the seasonal changes in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique placeRonPDined on 10/25/2014Botana does not have a standard restaurant menu, it offers a dinner based upon what the chef created for the day. Food was excellent, the service unbeatable. Go with an open mind and savor the food, wine, and service offered.Special Features:
- Absolutely Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/10/2014Arriving in Big Bear hungry we went to yelp and this came up with great reviews. We decided to check it out and we now will add our voices to the praise -- David is terrific in warmly greeting everyone and it feels an intimate dinner party with no menus - you get what they are cooking that night as a prix fixe, although they have vegetarian options, etc. to accomodate people's needs/preferences. Food was delicious and the whole experience was a treat. Also, the kid maitre d' is a bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience & Distant Gempet4daisyVIPDined on 10/8/2014My only complaint is distance. David (owner & chef) spent time finding out about special needs. He only does a prefixed 5 course dinner using fresh organic products--tonight: cream of mushroom soup, a salad with greens & about 7 different kinds of fruit (some new ones to me) with a vinaigrette dressing, pasta with a very light Alfredo sauce, a stuffed (cheese & greens) pork roast with a rice/corn side, & the best chocolate brownie/cake topped with melted chocolate, whipped cream & a special fruit sauce. There wasn't a miss-step in the entire meal. Servings were sized right. David took time between course to talk to us & to explain what he was serving. Will return to Big Bear just to go to dinner here. Thanks David! :)Special Features:
- Foodies adventure awaitsvisitorDined on 10/5/2014We ate at Botano on Oct. 5. It was a Sunday night in Big Bear and somewhat quiet. In spite of that, there were 20 folks dining while we were there. David, the host was so welcoming and enthusiastic about our dining. It was an epicurean adventure from the creamy mushroom soup through to the deletable chocolate dessert. A big hit for us was the exotic salad with an oilless dressing made from a fruit with red pulp from Mexico together with greens, melon, grapes and cucumbers--very refreshing. It was also VERY reasonable. LeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kekaVIPDined on 10/1/2014Italian-Mexican Fusion.?!?!? No Menus. reasonable price. Fresh, seasonal ingredients were used to prepare ONE Five course dinner meal for all diners. OK. we were intrigued. The meal was wonderful. Fresh apple soup, field greens with fruit in a citrus vinaigrette, stuffed red pepper with beef & veges, chix filet in a poblano chili sauce, and brownie cheesecake bites with cherry sauce. We will return to this restaurant anytime we're in Big Bear, just to see what's cooking.Special Features:
- Friendly owner and great foodcaryDined on 9/26/2014The owner is very friendly, he greet us at the door. This resultant doesn't have menu, what they have for dinner is a five courses dishes. The owner describe each dish and how they prepared very detail. The salad is the best, especial the dressing, After i finished the salad, Owner pureed the dressing to my plate, suggest me to drink, It was so tasting. safely to say is the best dressing I ever have. The main dish is pork stuff with vegetable , Pork is tender and savory. The carrot soup is a plus, and the chocolate cake is also very good. It is a small but very quite restaurant The service is great. I like it very much..Special Features:
- Innovative and delicious!BlueHighwaymanDined on 9/13/2014The menu here is fixed daily, three courses at lunch, five for dinner. The owner, who acts as host and guide, describes the cuisine as Italian-Mexican fusion. Our dinner had a strongly Mayan influence: chayote soup; lettuce-melon salad with jamaica flower dressing; portobello mushroom stuffed with cotija cheese and chopped vegetables; a beef, chicken, and shrimp kabob; a simple fruit granita for dessert. Every dish was carefully prepared and tasty, while our hands-down favorite was the stuffed mushroom. The service was friendly, helpful and attentive. We asked lots of questions and experienced the host family's enthusiasm for their work. Physically, the restaurant is nothing special; the energy here goes into food and customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unorganized, but wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I knew from the yelp reviews that it was a 6 course meal that was preset. When we got there no one explained how it worked to us or the prices. We got our seats and food just started coming out. Each dish was a surprise and each dish was delicious!Special Features:
- Do not MissEnjoyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Took a day trip to Big Bear and checked Open Table. Saw this one and the great reviews, so I looked at the other large review sites. WOW, well reviewed, so we booked it. Don't be distracted by the neighborhood- on a busy street, parking lot is modest. Go in! The owner spoke to us and helped us personally. Menu is Prix-Fixe and changes daily. 3 course lunch or 5 course dinner. Nothing comes from a can here- all organic, natural and great. Lunch was....Apple Soup (amazing- and I'm not a fan of such items normally), refreshing salad (too unique to describe but really good) and a Chicken Chimichanga (I know it sounds pedestrian but it was so well executed, so tasty, I feel bad describing as such). Anyway, go immediately.You won't be disapointedSpecial Features:
- Excellent preset menu!Lucielovesfood2Dined on 8/27/2014The food served by the chef was excellent, creative and fresh! It is a preset menu of 5 courses and all were excellent. We were 6 dining and all went back the next day for a fabulous lunch!Special Features:
- made a special occassion specialwhats4dinnerDined on 8/8/2014We loved the idea of being served a 4 course meal without the decision of what it was going to be. The Chef is very personable and takes time with all his guests. The chef recommended a wine to go with the meal and it was excellent. The price per person was extremely reasonable. you do have to pay for wine/beer/mixed drinks separately but that is not any different than any other place you go. would highly recommend Botana. The dishes were not huge so that you would need to take home a "doggy bag" but more than enough for dinner. We plan on returning in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findyummerooniesDined on 8/4/2014A wonderful and creative meal, skillfully done - each course an experience to savor.Special Features:
- The following 13 reviews are from the Botana reviews archive.
- JustMeDined on 7/24/2014Loved this restaurant. Great value, great food. 5 courses of freshly prepared food. The chef easily accommarws us for gluten, soy & egg free items. Don't miss this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful gem in Big BearTraceyRVIPDined on 7/4/2014When visiting Big Bear, I always just dealt with the fact that it was difficult to find a healthy and good quality meal...until recently. We came across Botana after reading some reviews on Trip Advisor and it did not disappoint. They use all organic ingredients and prepare each meal from scratch and it shows. And while the menu is prix fixe (and very affordable), they are able to accommodate for dietary restrictions like lactose intolerance, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc. It was an exceptional treat that they made a carrot soup with coconut milk (delicious) for my daughter and I while everyone else had the traditional recipe made with cream. Just wish they would get rid of the fake flocked pine tree when you first walk in.Special Features:
- somethings up revievs dont match ??sherisDined on 7/3/2014i read several reviews for this place the one i dont under stand was 32$ for 2 people an drinks i on the other hand was charged 59$ thats a far cry from all the reviews i read about how cheep the price was for a so call 6 corse meal soup an salad were great the next corse was small tortilla with cheese an tomato sauce on top an the dinner was pasta with a small peace of beef with moley on top deseart was a spoon full of rice pudding i asumed this was a nice restaurant it was nothing but bad mexican food in small portions way over priced i made a reservation on line an he didnt even know about it an my husband is a vegetarian an this was a big fail for big bear every where else we ate was great huge plates full of food for good prices !!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Food was quite good, but the service was a bit rushed. It was a 5 course fixed price meal, and each next course arrived before the previous one was finished. We mentioned it to the owner, and he is working on that.Special Features:
- Should NOT be overlooked!WinendineDined on 6/22/2014This is not your typical dining experience. If you enjoy Italian and Mexican food, you will love the new things that Chef David creates! The cuisine is a fusion between the two. He creates a five course meal each day and that is what is on the menu. Everything we had for dinner was absolutely wonderful. The wine he suggested paired perfectly with the food served. The apple soup was to die for. He explains the menu and what ingredients he uses, if you need him to switch something out... he willingly accommodates. Please give this new spot a try, if you are open minded and adventurous in your dining experiences.... you will enjoy it very much! David was delightful and we received fabulous service. One of our new favorite places to eat!!Special Features:
- Calling All Foodies!lskesq95VIPDined on 6/21/2014It's fun to find a new place...but Italian-Mexican Fusion? We didn't completely understand it then, but we sure do now! (Think jalapeño risotto.) The owner is a well traveled Italian (50%)/Mexican (50%) who landed in Big Bear. He put his highly refined palate to work and decided to open a restaurant. He is both the food and wine menu --super fun! There is no menu, per se. There is a different, inspired 5-course meal served each night, and they happily cater to vegetarians and vegans, as well as the non-fussy types. Each course that arrived (and I did vegetarian) was fabulous. We loved the wine! The highly personalized service added to the experience. All in all, it's like eating a gourmet meal at a friend's house. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Dining AdventureJosephVIPDined on 5/31/2014Owner/Chef David took great care in explaining each of the five courses and paired an amazing wine with his Italian/Mexican fusion creations! We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and we will definately be back for a return visit the next time we are in Big Bear Lake! The fixed menu made dining easy and fun - the wonderful staff just brings it on. Don't be in a hurry-just enjoy. We loved it!Special Features:
- Fixed Price GemcarollVIPDined on 5/24/2014Wow. We didn't quite know what to expect from the description of "Italian Mexican Fusion". All I can say it is very good food and worth visiting. The owner-chef David is very engaging. We started with warm apple soup. Yes, apple soup. All 6 of us love it. There were 5 courses. The main course was chicken. According to David, he can easily accommodate vegetarians and vegans too. We will definitely try Botana again. The cost of the evening was extremely reasonable. There is no pretension here-just great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Botana is wonderful!gennanieDined on 4/24/2014The delicious, reasonably pricef organic food at Botana is a treasure. The menu is never the same. Owner Davide is a charming host and very knowledgeable about his menu and in suggesting a wine pairing for the meal. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Bear 1st VisitAnnivNo7VIPDined on 4/12/2014Decided to give this place a try from comments on Trip Advisor. The food was good and tasty. It is a set menu each day. They do sort of have portion control going as each dish is brought to you in a common bowl/plate and you divide up from there. The food was good, and the price for the two of us for dinner + San Pellegrino's and coffee was $41 + tip. Our only problem was that when we arrived, they said they need to take cash only as their system had crashed, so no MC, Visa, Amex. They did not know what I meant when I said we had an Open Table reservation. We will go back again to try another set menu and see how it goes a second time. The prices make it worthwhile. Just opened this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was different but excellent.RosieDined on 3/6/2014Food was different but excellent. Service was great. Recommend tablecloths to add to the ambiance.Special Features:
- we loved the set menu andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014we loved the set menu and look forward to another food adventureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLauvegDined on 2/17/2014There is a dif menu every night. Great quality food and dif tastes that you will love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.