Bostonia Public House
131 State St.
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bostonia Public House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bostoniapublichouse.com/
- Phone: 6179489800x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Ketchum
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bostonia Public House
Located in the landmark Board of Trade building at the intersection of State and Broad streets; Bostonia Public House celebrates the history and tradition of Boston. This Tanya Nayak design thoughtfully combines, rustic elements, modern accents and unique finishes that will remind Bostonians of their rich and colorful heritage. Cognac and coffee tones, tufted banquets, vintage and modern lounge seating promote a warm environment. Bostonia Public House will offer a ‘refined rustic’ menu within a vibrant bar atmosphere. An exposed kitchen, bars on two floors, private rooms and quiet spaces for intimate dining make Bostonia Public House a genuinely alluring gathering spot. Spearheaded by hospitality veteran John Fitzgerald, the food & beverage offerings are intended to be approachable and simply stylish. Imaginative and locally inspired cuisine, intelligent wine and cocktail lineups, and elegant live entertainment combine to deliver just the right amount of sociable sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bostonia Public House reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (31)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (20)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (9)special occasion (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- So noisy and chain-like foodStefanoDined on 10/18/2014Bar over flow into dining area made it too crowded to enjoy a meal, and so loud we had to shout. Wouldn't have minded if the food was good, but only the baked beans were. Never again.Special Features:
- Good SpotB6685Dined on 10/3/2014This place is located in the Financial District, so you have a large afterwork crowd, which make this a very loud bar. There also is live music which adds to the noise. Luckily, after about 8/8:30 the noise starts to die down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is excellentlocaldinerDined on 9/27/2014Casey was our server and she was perfectly attentive as was the bartender who came to our table to briefly chat as did the manager to take the pulse of our experience. The music was bluesy/jazz and happened to be perfect for what we wanted in the night.Special Features:
- Worst Service in BostonDolson13Dined on 9/20/2014I was amazed at how great the food was and how terrible the service was...I will not reccommend this place to anyone. The attitude of our server was snobbish and he seemed put off to have us there. There definately needs to be someone there to make sure your customers are being taken care of...We will not be back.
- Best of BostonBananasplitDined on 9/7/2014Our server Jacob was a true professional an expert waiter and a great representative for Bostonian. He made our evening there really enjoyable, top marks for a great service and great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Not bad for the neighborhood. Service is akin to the turn and burn you would expect from the touristy area. Nice bar with a solid cocktail and wine list. Plenty of selections and decent pricing. Food was good- nothing unbelievable but you get what is ordered and its decent quality; more so than any of its neighbors.Special Features:
- Creative food & drink choicesfrugalfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Kind of a mixed review, absolutely loved the food and beverage choices but the noise level was borderline too much. This isn't so much a restaurant with a bar as a bar with some restaurant amenities. Clearly, this is more of a place for people to go after work and hang out, enjoy unique and delicious food and cocktails and enjoy the piano bar and the generally socially conducive lay-out. If you are looking for a place to hold a conversation perhaps the outdoor tables would be your best option as it is near impossible to chat without losing your voice inside. However, this is not a negative review - the food is excellent! The service is friendly and attentive and the pricing is about average for Boston. You must try the donut hole dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gluten free optionsChrissieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Love Bostonia Public House!! Great menu! Excellent service! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but very priceyworldtravellerVIPDined on 8/26/20142 apps, 2 salads and 2 cocktails = $90 Food is good but small portions and very very expensive for pub fare.
- Skip Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/18/2014Great place to have drinks after work, dead after rush hour. food stinks, service is bad. Our waiter was higher than Dave Chapelle and couldn't see straight.
- Lobster rules!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/18/2014We had the lobster rolls and they were well worth the price!Special Features:
- Great spotBourneyDined on 8/15/2014We came with family. Everyone was impressed and our waiter Jason was unbelievable. I definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencefinedinerDined on 8/14/2014We had a great night out. Service was very good. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Annoyed by filming next doorgotringsDined on 8/12/2014An otherwise perfect meal was marred by a film crew next door with idling trucks, etc. They did not have a record of my open table reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedFoodforrealDined on 8/9/2014The Interrior was nice for the most part. The food was okay. The service was terrible. Friendly, but basically non existent. We waited over an hour for food that was simple for 4 adults and 2 babies under 15 mo. The service was nice when orders were taken, etc. but back of house was beyond slow. The restaurant was basically deserted. About a total of 25 or 30 people in the entire establishment. Lots of employees appearing to be waiting around, yet incredibly slow with food prep. This place won't last long...Special Features:
- Lively and lovely, CMO approvedCondoCookVIPDined on 8/6/2014My colleagues and I took our CMO here for dinner. When I previewed the menu, read reviews, and recalled his menu choices previously, I thought this would be a great pick. I have been getting compliments on my restaurant pick for a week, and will likely go back, not just because I got such great reviews for picking it, but because it was DELICIOUS and fun. The piano player was an added bonus, and our table was far enough away we could enjoy a company discussion and the liveliness of the establishment. I ordered the scallops and thought they were amazing!Special Features:
- BPH's First Brunch ServiceholmesmdDined on 8/3/2014I happened to notice that BPH was having it's 1st brunch service. I was excited for a downtown brunch spot, esp. with a live band (though definitely not New Orleans jazz like they advertised *sadness*). The menu was ok, you really have to love seafood and/or high fatty foods. The one healthy option that could be filling was the salad + meat of your choosing, but at $24 for a basic salad it could not be justified. We ordered the standard Benedict and lobster omelet. Both were really great, as was the coffee (grateful they have non-whole milk). Cocktails were *very* watered down. Waitress was the perkiest person I'd ever met, she checked in every 5 minutes, which is good and bad. Lovely, but won't return until there's a menu change.Special Features:
- BostoniaJoeSandyStephDined on 8/3/2014We went for their brunch with music this past Sunday, 8-3-14. The music was great, the food and drinks even better. But the best part was our server, Lily, she was just the best, great bubbly attitude, her suggestions were on target.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Took over an hour to get our food. No attention from server and did little to rectify the problem. Asked server about a certain meal and they forgot to come back tonusbwith an answer.
- Nice but really loudDH325Dined on 7/30/2014Food was excellent although prices are not for the faint of heart. The scallop appetizer and the warm seafood dip were particularly memorable. Service was good - although I did expect it to be at that price point. The wine list was very nice - so dont get fooled by the "public house" label. I did find the noise level a negative. It was not "energetic" it was LOUD for a Wednesday night = and on top of it, they had a piano player!Special Features:
- LaCharmeDined on 7/24/2014It was a quick lunch, but everything was great from greeting, to seating, to server (Dom), to the food. I would definitely recommend Bostonia Public House and I will surely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014Live music was great, service fair and disjointed, apps good, entree's fair, good bar vibe, friendly waitstaff though management crankySpecial Features:
- Friday evening mealWombatVIPDined on 7/18/2014Had a dinner-for-two (date night) on a recent Friday evening. Menu was relatively limited with entrée choices but did have a nice and unique variety of snacks/appetizers, one of which we did try. Expected somewhat more in terms of service/food at a location where the average entrée price was >$25/person. My chopped salad with steak (est. 6oz) was $25. If we were offered to sit further away from the bar/TV's or upstairs, that would have been appreciated. Would come back for drinks with mates but for the cost/experience, would likely consider other options for dinner.Special Features:
- No accessible tablesJlittle1977VIPDined on 7/16/2014All tables are high tops so if you have a disabled person in your party this isn't the place for you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, though not a large menubruhamaDined on 7/15/2014We had heard how this was quickly becoming a popular spot. Located only a block away from Quincy Marketplace, we had a reservation for a weeknight at 6, so the huge bar which is one of their attractions had a lot of after-work patrons. It was too noisy for us. They say they have a "quiet" section for dining, but our booth was "all they had" and was located right alongside the standing bar patrons. Unfortunately we had to virtually shout at each other in our own booth, had to have both wait staff and us repeat ourselves far too many times. Overall, the food was good, however -- crab-crusted cod, lobster rolls, chowder, oysters, salad were all part of our meal and everyone enjoyed.Special Features:
- Very accessible good foodChrisR007Dined on 7/13/2014We were shacked up in the financial district over the weekend so were delighted to find Bostonia Public House on our doorstep. The staff were very welcoming and the food was much more European than the usual American fare. Lovely salads and my son had the Lobster Roll. Very relaxed and enjoyable. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great new spotBarbODined on 7/12/2014The lobster roll was unique and delicious. Only a butter knife was needed to cut the filet, which was perfectly cooked and flavorful. The wait staff was attentive but gave us plenty of time to relax and enjoy our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in a Fun SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014Wonderful menu, with so many options it's hard to choose. The service was attentive but not overbearing. The drinks are very well made and I love that they had both a kids' menu and a "Young Adults" menu. The food was outstanding! We had a wonderful risotto cake special for an appetizer and whatever you do, don't miss out on the sweet potato doughnuts!Special Features:
- Not openOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2014We got to the restaurant and it was closed because there was a watermain break. If the break had recently occurred I understand why we would not be contacted but it had been going on for about 5 hours according to the police there. A pretty big hassle to try and find reservations at 8 on a Friday night in the middle of a storm with no transportation.
- Expensive but DeliciousJacMKDined on 7/3/2014The lunch menu is pricey! But there are some great options that pair well with all of their beers and wines. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Good!ChrissieVIPDined on 7/1/2014Love Bostonia! Dom has been our server twice & he is top notch! Really wonderful Gluten Free choices!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/28/2014We shared the Baby Spinach salad, spare ribs and scallops and everything was absolutely fantastic!Special Features:
- JROGDined on 6/27/2014Best place for food and drinks in Boston. As a professional in Boston, I find it to be the best place for business lunches and after work gatherings for food and drinks. The atmosphere is classy but very comfortable, the food is outstanding, but most importantly, the staff is the best team I have come across in all my years in Boston! 5 stars without question!Special Features:
- The following 26 reviews are from the Bostonia Public House reviews archive.
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014The food here is delicious, and service is wonderful. Make reservations since this place gets packed later in the evening. We had the steamed mussels which were awesome, and then also a great cod dish which was a great size. The live jazz band starts at 9pm on Saturdays, which makes for a great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Saturday night at Bostonia PublicSeconddateDined on 6/14/2014We were seated right away. We were a half hour early for our reservation. Our waitress was excellent. She made suggestions and showed my date the gluten free menu. The food was very good. I had pork, she had steak. The atmosphere is a little loud but not bad. Overall a very nice dining expierience.Special Features:
- A New Restaurant GemJVigzDined on 6/13/2014We loved everything about this place! Our server Jacob was fantastic and very personable. The ambience and food were outstanding. Will definitely be back to this restaurant gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gluten free choices!!ChrissieVIPDined on 6/12/2014Really great gf menu!! Waitstaff was excellent!! Everyone in our party loved their lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not cheapnoankpearlVIPDined on 6/11/2014Had a stunningly delicious piece of cod for lunch, but at $29, that won't happen on a regular basis. Perhaps next time I'll try the apps or salads.Special Features:
- DonnaDined on 6/7/2014Loved polenta fries,Beet salad outstanding,the batender was awesome as was our waitress. Many waitresses stopped by to see if we were OK and needed anything. Excellent service. Loved the selection of music during dinner. I was alittle disappointed in lobster roll. Although tasty not enough lobster salad in roll.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceBDdinners2VIPDined on 6/6/2014This new dining option shows great promise as led by its excellent Executive Chef, Kyle Kitchum. Portions are ample and full of flavor, and there are great options for all taste. The noise from the bar can be a distraction, once you taste the food, is becomes less of an issue. As a new restaurant, open only ten weeks, they are quickly working out the usual start up issues so it will be a "four star" dining experience shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.