401 Locust St.
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bosdesmoines.com/
- Phone: 5152841267
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 12:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Andres
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We would be delighted to accommodate your group in BOS! Whether corporate or social, formal or informal, it"s our pleasure to serve you. Our contemporary private dining room offers an intimate dining setting for groups of up to 36 guests. Situated between our elegant glass-enclosed wine cabinet and charming windows overlooking downtown Des Moines, BOS will provide you and your guests a memorable experience. BOS private dining is available seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. BOS has a fully stocked premium bar and extensive wine list of more than 100 bottles to complement your dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Jenifer Ingram 5153657233
A word from BOS
Discover something wonderfully new at BOS! Serving made-from-scratch homegrown cuisine, BOS offers an intriguing dining experience with exceptional ambiance. Indulge in our hand-crafted cocktails made with freshly-squeezed fruit juices, or enjoy the magnificent wine selection. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner BOS is located in the heart of downtown Des Moines adjacent to the Civic Center and just blocks away from Wells Fargo Arena.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BOS reviews from OpenTable diners
- Would not recommendWinncienzoDined on 2/15/2014Don't waste your time with BOS. Average food, below average service, high prices. The place was less than half full, yet waitstaff seemed pretty harried the entire time. Overall, service was very slow. It took 10- 15 minutes for someone to take our drink order. I had to ask for a bread basket. I had the prosciutto wrapped scallops which just did not work. The prosciutto was so overpowering I removed all of it. Just incredibly salty. The scallops were average at best. My husband got the pepper crusted steak which he described as having a little bit of pepper on it, but certainly not pepper crusted. We had the creme brulee for desert. Flavor was good, but the custard hadn't set, so it was basically runny pudding with burnt sugar on top.
- Bad Dining ExperienceKCMOVIPDined on 2/14/2014My mother once said, "if you have nothing good to say, then don't say it." I have nothing good to say about my experience at BOS.
- Good, but could be betterryanDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went to BOS for Valentine's Day and we both opted for the four course dinner. I have to say that I was really impressed with the food. Everything from the crostini to the salad and the cinnamon-braised short ribs and dessert were absolutely fantastic. It was without a doubt one of the best meals I've had out in Des Moines in quite some time. The service needs quite a bit of work. Our server seemed rushed and a bit forgetful. He forgot to bring wine, then brought wine for both of us, even tho my wife didn't order it. He also forgot to bill us for the wine, so I reminded him of that. I don't if he was offended or what, but not once during or after the dinner did he ask if we enjoyed our meal. We'll give it another chance.Special Features:
- Disappointing experiencesharcDined on 12/31/2013First time dining here. Restaurant was not busy. Not acknowledged by server for 10-15 minutes after being seated. Had to take our drink order twice and then it still took another 20 minutes to get our drinks. Server was unfamiliar with menu. Struggled to name anything on the menu when asked for suggestions. Described the pistachio ice cream with biscotti dessert as biscotto ice cream with a biscuit. Water was refilled by sous chef when server failed to do so. Mixed reviews on the food. Sweet potato fries were burnt and shrimp was overseasoned but everything else our table had was okay or good. Overall, the experience was very disappointing and the service was horrible. Will be our first and last time dining here.
- When we arrived we were seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013When we arrived we were seated promptly next to a large group that was less than arms length away. While I'd excuse this if it were crowded, there were maybe 5 other tables in the restaurant that had someone sitting at them,and the rest were empty. The waitress did not seen to know about the wine and told us twice that she could not find the bottles we wanted. The food was good but a little pricey for the quality and took a long time to arrive. Overall, I would not recommend this restaurant, there are far better choices in town. If you do plan to make a reservation do not go in with high expectations like we did.
- Downtown gem!Looking4greatdiningDined on 12/31/2013Excellent flavor with great presentation. I ordered the grilled Atlantic salmon that was prepared in a delectable sauce. My date had the steak with a Cabernet mushroom sauce which was melt in your mouth delicious. This is a wonderful find that I will return to. The service was very good. The restaurant is located downtown within a few moments of the Des Moines Performing Arts Center making it very convenient for dining before the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceris8890Dined on 12/6/2013The food was great. Unfortunately, everything was slow and they did not seem to be busy.
- Thanksgiving dinner disappointmenthungryinIowaDined on 11/28/2013The Thanksgiving buffet was an unappetizing, soggy, salty mess. Food was not really hot, not presented well, not prepared well and way to expensive. Have never been to BOS for their regular menu, but the Thanksgiving experience does not make me want to go there ever again.
- Good meal and very good serviceAllanDined on 11/16/2013The food was very good and the service was excellent. Restaurant was a bit more crowded than usual (that is good and I'm happy to see that) but it resulted in a somewhat higher noise level. A pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Near the Civic Center1GirlBikerDined on 11/10/2013I chose BOS because it is near the Civic Center in downtown Des Moines and was open on Sunday. The atmosphere was nice and the food was satisfactory. Our waiter was quite overzealous, however, and significantly affected the experience for me. His suggestions were appreciated but the insistance to engage in small talk was not. I will be back to BOS if I need a quick Sunday meal in downtown, but I will not plan it as part of a special day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodJlinderbDined on 11/8/2013Overall, we had a very good time at the restaurant. The music was a little to be desired (really annoying elevator music). Our server was lovely. The menu sounded amazing. I got the sirloin steak with Cabernet mushroom sauce. The steak must not have rested enough as blood oozed out into my sauce when I cut into it (med temp). It was a bit spongy, but seasoned ok. The sauce seemed more like a raw garlic cream sauce instead. My mashed potatoes were ok, but the side veggies were awesome. My husband's pot pie was pretty good, though for $16 (it was pretty small)....well just seemed kind of pricey. Desserts were pretty and tasted okay. Overall for the prices, the food was not good enough to return.
- The food was good but didOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013The food was good but did not make up for the poor service. The corn and bacon dip for the homemade chips was delicious, though the chips were a little overcooked. Both entrees, the mushroom risotto and the chicken pot pie were quite tasty, and the biscuit on the pot pie was amaziningly flakly and light. However, we ordered drinks, appetizers, and entrees all at once. However, it took 20-25 minutes to recieve our appetizers, and then our entrees arrived less than 2 minutes later. Our drinks did not arrive for another 10 minutes. We were informed that the bar was swamped, but did not recieve any appologies or other considerations.Special Features:
- Wonderful ambiancecoquette07Dined on 11/1/2013If you're looking for a classic restaurant that entertains casual to fine dining, then you've found your spot. Close to the Des Moines Center for Performing Arts, BOS provides a great dining experience for theatre-goers. The food was delicious, and the chef was happy to personalize each meal. The only aspect that keeps me from granting BOS five stars was the service, which was subpar for the relatively low number of diners. Otherwise, this restaurant is a gem!Special Features:
- Ordered somewhat light - notAllanDined on 10/19/2013Ordered somewhat light - not that hungry. Food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Good prime ribAllanDined on 9/14/2013The prime rib was served exactly as ordered. At my request the wait staff furnished freshly sharpened knives which made the experience even more pleasant. Staff was attentive but did not inform us that we could receive a discount by presenting our symphony tickets (found out later in the symphony program).Special Features:
- Great place to dineDickDined on 8/2/2013We had to eat early because of other commitments so the restaurant was not very busy but the food and service were outstanding. We enjoyed the dining experience at BOS very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good for a hotel restaurantJudgeVIPDined on 7/9/2013My son and I were visiting Des Moines. BOS was a nice walk from our hotel. There were very few diners on a weekday evening. Service was attentive, with good recommendations. Son loved chicken pot pie. I enjoyed a steak. Cookie in a skillet with ice cream on top (I put the rest of the toppings on the side) was creative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!DaveyDined on 6/28/2013Good menu, friendly staff, delicious food, enough said! Underrated downtown spot.Special Features:
- Bad NightSicanguVIPDined on 5/11/2013Ww were celebrating my son's college graduation. We did not know that they had booked a major private party over top of our dinner. As a result the service was bad, the food was not good and the ambience was insulting. Thank goodness the executive chef who recognized the situation and did all he could to make it right. For this reason I rank the restaurant very good. I will try it again when back in Des Moines.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BOS not the experience I hoped forkjs33Dined on 5/11/2013We visited BOS on a Saturday evening. They were understaffed and everything took longer than it should have. When our food finally arrived, my husband's pork medallions were very over cooked, although they did remove his meal from our bill. I had the scallops, and aside from the prosciutto being extremely salty, they were quite delicious. The restaurant lacked ambiance, was overly bright (lighting) for evening dining, and doesn't really qualify as fine dining even though it is priced as such. There were a mix of people from those dressed up and heading to a show at the Civic Center to high school kids in gym shorts. In all fairness this is a restaurant inside of a downtown Des Moines hotel, so the mix of people was not a complete surprise.Special Features:
- Good eveningAllanDined on 5/11/2013I was an enjoyable dinner - not rushed and comfortable. Noise level was a bit higher than usual - they were busier.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful meal withsatisfiedinerDined on 4/22/2013Had a wonderful meal with several friends. Food was very good and would definitely return. We enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent prime rib served.AllanDined on 4/13/2013Excellent prime rib served. Very accommodating wait staff.Special Features:
- Excellent Waiter Suddu!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Excellent Waiter Suddu!! Very good food. Woud love to return and try their menu since we were ther for Easter brunch.Special Features:
- My family and I went to BOSOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013My family and I went to BOS for Easter brunch. The service was awesome. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Going here made our Easter very special.Special Features:
- Delicious foodVictoriaJZDined on 3/21/2013BOS is located in the Hotel Savery and suffers from that [hotel restaurants can be an afterthought]. But, we found the food excellent [I had scallops which were perfectly done, tasty and well presented] and while the menu was not extensive, it was certainly sufficient. The service was very accommodating and prompt [we had been seated under a speaker with music which was too loud and were moved].
- Understated EleganceJoelODined on 3/16/2013We had a very good dining experience. The food was excellent! We would order the same entrees again. The food was also well-presented. The kitchen was a bit slow, but there were many diners early on, so the wait was understandable. We will come back.Special Features:
- Terrible service with dated decorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013Our service was completely inexperienced and did not know how to manage a table. We had to wait an unusually long time to be helped, and when he did come to our table, he couldn't answer basic questions and had to keep going back to find out answers. When we did place our order, he asked "What do you want?" and wrote it down on a piece of notebook paper he pulled out of his back pocket. Even then, he didn't relay my wife's request to leave out pepper on her dish (which she can't eat). We didn't have time to get the right dish, so we were just out of luck. The decor is dated and the lighting is not nice. You can see what they'd like to do with the inventive menu, but the experience far overshadows that. We won't be going back.
- Good food and service. MoreAllanDined on 3/16/2013Good food and service. More people but not too noisy.Special Features:
- I usually go to BOS when IOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013I usually go to BOS when I attend the Civic Center shows. I am usually pleased with the food and service, which is why I go back each time.Special Features:
- Small menu, seating felt kindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013Small menu, seating felt kind of "exposed". I cam ein a group before a gala and it felt like we were sitting in the middle of an arena being watched. The steak was TERRific, BUT the mashed potatoes tasted like they came out of the box!!Special Features:
- The food was excellent andAllanDined on 2/23/2013The food was excellent and the service outstanding. It was a very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent service along withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Excellent service along with very tasty entres. The dessert 'll was to die for. Really enjoyed meeting the chef.Special Features:
- Stressed out staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013At least our waitress was way overworked/understaffed and it was valentines day! Service was slow, despite her busting her tail. I was stressed out for her! Our wine was bad. We sent it back -it took forever to get a new bottle; well into the main course before wine???!! How about a sommolier for Valentines day at least? I will say it was a beautiful ambiance -love the remodel, and the bar was cool. still, likely won't go back.Special Features:
- The food was amazing! Quality,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food was amazing! Quality, quantity and presentation all outstanding.Special Features:
- The host was welcoming, andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The host was welcoming, and we had no wait which was very nice. The lighting was nice for a romantic evening, but the music from the neighboring bar(CODA) was very loud and made it difficult to enjoy a nice conversation. Our server was nice, but was a little loud and overbearing. She visited quite often and we wanted privacy. The food was mediocre.Special Features:
- Awkward ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013It's hard to describe my experience. The food was good, but not great. The prices were about right, but you could make the argument that for the same price you could get better food elsewhere. The strange part was the service. The wait staff was nice, but seemed uncomfortable or inexperienced. We had reservations and met our party there, and the host just could not understand our situation, and led us into the dining room but kind of just left us, and we had no idea where he wanted us to sit. Our server seemed uncomfortable or nervous the entire night. It just seems like staffing was the last thing on the owner's mind. The guys were friendly, but seemed out of their element.Special Features:
- Great place to go before goingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013Great place to go before going to the Civic Center.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner at BOSIowanontheRoadDined on 1/25/2013We have eaten many breakfasts at BOS, but were reluctant to try it for dinner. This time, we were staying at the hotel for several days, and needed a dinner close to the theater venue, where we could access the skywalk, and found most of our choices were already booked because of the sold out performance at the Civic Center. OpenTable offered BOS, and we're glad we accepted. The food was gently prepared, extremely well-plated, and served with a smile. The menu was small but true to its mission (corn was offered in several ways), and the final tab was reasonable. The only thing that kept us from a fifth star for atmosphere was the coffee shop lighting, decor and seating. Change the booth tables and the lighting and get that fifth staSpecial Features:
- We had been warned that BOSOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012We had been warned that BOS wasn't great but we tried it anyways. It's very much hotel food. Very safe. Not very exciting. Some things taste like they came from a can. Drinks ($11 each) was too expensive.