730 Washington Ave N, Ste 114
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.boroughmpls.com/
- Phone: 6123543135x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Monday: 5pm to 12am
Tuesday-Saturday: 5pm to 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tyler Shipton & Nick O'Leary
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have event options. Please contact us to discuss your next big event!
- Private Party Contact: Keely Nyquist 6123543135x
- Special Events: Borough Block Party on August 10th! $5 entry fee. From noon to 7pm.
Good food, drinks and live bands! Featuring:
Black Market Brass
A word from Borough
Borough was created to represent the chefs point of view of simplicity. We are a casual eatery with an ever changing menu that focuses on simple ingredients that are seasonal and sourced locally. This ever changing menu allows our chefs to stay creative with the changing of the seasons and the food that is offered by foragers during them.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Borough reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (209)special occasion (138)great for outdoor dining (101)neighborhood gem (98)romantic (94)hot spot (94)vibrant bar scene (48)notable wine list (41)late-night find (34)good for groups (33)scenic view (7)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Excellent evening for our 20th anniversary. Have suggested it to many friends. Great ourdoor bar.Special Features:
- Doing it small at Borough.ParkFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Great First and Second Courses and Entrees to share and sample. Servicer Chris H. was fabulous and gave great pairing suggestings of food and cocktails for food we tried. Need an open mind, since it is a mix of gastro-pub, game fair, and experimentation. Truly worth a go, and not for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too fancy for me!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Great place, we sat on the patio. The service was also good. The food was pretty more than substantial, and some people would appreciate that. I prefer a big plate of food!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Borough was suggested to me by a doctor I work with. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it because if that. I was quite surprised by everything. The food was experimental yet comforting. The chef did a great job of marrying world flavors and Midwestern ideas. The ambiance was exciting and fast paced, lots of people moving about but in a very casual way. I would definitely suggest Borough to others and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014My boyfriend and I had a lovely meal at Borough this weekend while we were visiting Minneapolis from Chicago. Our plane was delayed by 2 1/2 hours and I called the restaurant and they were able to push back our reservation for us even though the opentable website said there were no reservations until 9:30pm. The food was very good-we especially loved the beef tartar first course. The service was wonderful-there was a little wait for our cocktails to arrive at the table and they generously took them off our bill for us due to the delay. After dinner we went down for a couple of drinks at Parlour which is a happening scene-the music was great and the drinks were interesting and delicious. We had a great night! Thank you Borough and Parlour!Special Features:
- Modern Bistro in North LoopjcdmplsDined on 9/13/2014Perfectly suited to its architecture with large-paned windows, wide subway tiled walls, screaming high ceilings, and an outdoor patio on an old loading dock. Our server suggested as a couple for our first visit that we follow a 2-2-1 strategy which was perfect. The menu has modern takes on French, Asian, and Indian themes with wonderful results. First courses: Burrata- brilliant, Duck- pate too bland. Seconds: Steak- very delicious, Octopus- fantastic. Entree: Opah- really lovely and a nice light finish. We had no room for dessert. Four out of five stars for dishes. No wonder Borough is on the top list of Minneapolis restaurants and was in Bon Appetit's 2013 list. Stop by the Parlour Bar downstairs too, great vibe.Special Features:
- ExcellentUpextracoldDined on 9/13/2014Server was outstanding, entertaining and fun without an attitude. Seating for two was a bit cozy and not so private. Great wine and bar menu, but intentionally missing some top shelf brands to be unique. Dinner menu was also limited, but all of our selections we were amazing. Will definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LMR006Dined on 9/8/2014Service was great and food was unique and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing however the service was terrible. We asked for more water and extra bread when our food came and received them both when they were clearing our plates. We are not unusually fast eaters but that was just how slow the service was. It was ashame because the food was honestly the best food I have ever had. I would recommend it to a friend however the service was so poor I don't consider this one of my top Minneapolis dinner spots.Special Features:
- Worth the trip!TasteComesFirstDined on 8/31/2014I travelled from Texas (and before that from Australia) and had read about about Borough and was keen for some good food. I was not disappointed. The duck pate was well presented and was combined with several elements including small cured duck breast slices (think prosciutto). The lightly battered chicken was excellent with the breast pieces incredibly tender and moist yet quite hot (as in straight from the pan, not from spices). My waitress was very pleasant and the restaurant itself is very well presented with both indoor and outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Incredible FoodmaltesaDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding meal. The Burrata was beautifully plated and absolutely delicious. But my favourite was the Sturgeon which was served with a corn broth / sauce and corn, tomato and chanterelle mushroom side. I would never have imagined combining these flavours would have been so delicious. And the corn broth was absolutely addictive. It could have been served as a soup which is likely why they also give you a soup spoon. We thought the octopus was OK but still good. Chocolate dessert was good. Only room for improvement is ambience. Indoor dining room was cold and outdoor patio music was too loud. But the outstanding inventive meal made up for this. Waitress was extremely helpful giving excellent detailed descriptions of menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food by folks who careSparkyDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I truly enjoyed the entire dining experience. All our menu choices were excellent and each was explained clearly by our wait person. A great place for a memorable meal with your spouse or a small group. We'll be back.Special Features:
- toothyDined on 8/30/2014Food wasn't good, service was sub-par, drinks good. The marlin looked fancy and had foam and all the "gourmet" stuff, but fish wasn't fresh. Nothing was very good, even the butter served with the bread was too salty. Except the dessert, it was awesome, got the chocolate one.
- Outstanding MenuSORfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Loved everything we ordered - food and cocktails. Beef tartare first course was incredible. Then headed downstairs to Parlour for dessert and night cap. Great evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeSweetmanVIPDined on 8/29/2014All we knew about Borough was that it was new and popular, so when we could get in on short notice on a Friday night we went for it. Honestly, when we first looked at the menu we thought "how do we gracefully get out of here; this isn't for us". But the waiter was very helpful in terms of describing menu items and sharing his opinions. The first course was only OK (believe it was called Burrata). The second course (Cauliflower) was out-of-this-world, as were the entrees (chicken and strip steak). Every item has a variety of ingredients, spices, and preparation that make each bite as surprisingly and delightful as the last. The chocolate malt cake dessert was also outstanding!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014After all the hype about this restaurant, I was disappointed. The service was inattentive and slow. We arrived two hours before theater time, thinking that would give us plenty of time. But the waiter made no attempt to speed things along--even after we told him we needed to get to the theater. He did not once offer a refill of our iced teas. He just didn't seem very interested in serving us. Maybe he was miffed that we weren't drinking the famed and expensive cocktails. The food was good, if a bit too "deconstructed" for my taste. The prices were above what I would have expected given the very small portion sizes. I would probably not go back. There are just too many other good choices in Minneapolis these days.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceEatoutaddictDined on 8/25/2014The food was memorable and we loved the presentation. The service was great and the waiter was very knowledgable about the menu and specific ingredients. We weren't there during a busy time so not sure of the noise level when it is full. We will returnSpecial Features:
- LovejoyeatsoutDined on 8/23/2014This is one of my favorites in the TC area! They simply know food. The chef has mastered the art of fusion and other modern day artistic expression without over doing it. The food bursts with perfect textures and flavors. Foodies will absolutely love this place!!! It’s laid back but also great for special occasions. They just have it right. BTW: The marlin crudo is a must, as is the octopus!Special Features:
- No sturgeonKLJ16Dined on 8/21/2014Everything was good until I ate the sturgeon which tasted like I took a bite of lake Superior. The sides were too bland to cover it up. The server asked me how it was and I told him and he basically just walked away. I waited so long to eat here and was very disappointed with the menu choices. I knew sturgeon sounded too strange but thought them could pull it off. Guess I was wrong about one thing
- Fun flavorsloves2eatVIPDined on 8/18/2014We really enjoyed the various courses wee tried. The ginger soup and borretta, pasta, and especially the dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious and creativeMinnieFoodieDined on 8/16/2014My husband loves to mix everything together on his plate. This deconstructed plate meal was the best meal he's had! Great flavor! Amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firsts and secondsLuniesDined on 8/14/2014The next time we go I will concentrate on these, especially the octopus and the tartare. Those and their berry flavored gin and tonic are on my do again list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceHungrybobVIPDined on 8/13/2014Amazingly creative offerings, perfectly prepared. I would become a regular here if the service were better. Ordered drinks shortly after taking our seats, and the waiter came by three times to tell us he was going to get our drinks. Finally got our drinks more than 20 minutes after sitting down. He didn't even offer to take our dinner order until we had been there half an hour. We were actually looking forward to dessert, but by the time we had finished dinner we were out of time. Still, I would recommend, because the food is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive and tasty menuFoodieintrainingVIPDined on 8/13/2014Had dinner the other night at The Borough. Our waitperson was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and was able to offer suggestions to our group of 4. We ended up sharing many of the dishes since it was too hard to choose just one or two. Signature octopus dish is fantastic! Very creative menu with respect to both flavors and presentation. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rather expensive...and left hungry!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Amazing atmosphere....but the food is extremely expensive and a bit over the top in terms of presentation, etc. Delivering dishes that are artistic and gorgeous is great, but feeling satiated is always a good idea too!
- Fun night outsvenskatjejVIPDined on 8/9/2014Glad we could get a table outside on a beautiful summer night. Enjoyed the block party also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSandramerleVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had eaten there a few weeks prior and had excellent food. On our return, food was very mediocre, service very good, but i don't think we would rich back. We are all foodies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014One of the few Minneapolis restaurants that lives up to its reviews. The food was outstanding. On a scale of Alma or Le Belle Vie. We will be back.Special Features:
- Good food in nice surroundingsSureshotDined on 8/6/2014The meat cleaver on their sign was deceiving as the relatively small menu was not that of a steak house but a surprisingly fine restaurant with rather interesting preparations. Service was attentive but non-intrusive. The wine list was adequate. An enjoyable meal out.Special Features:
- Great Birthday ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014Went there to have romantic Birthday dinner and it exceeded expectations. Great food, great service, and they didn't rush the portions. It was timed perfectly.Special Features:
- Awesome!jeffDined on 8/3/2014One of the top 3 restaurant experiences since I have been in Minneapolis. The food was absolutely fantastic and the ambiance was great. We went on a Sunday night and had a whole section to ourselves, so it was a nice romantic dinner, undisturbed by other guests. The service was equally great, as were the drinks. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Doesn't live up to hypeGyea98VIPDined on 8/1/2014Had the strip steak, was very tough, not much flavor either. Prawn appetizer had a funny aftertaste. Wife liked the octopus and fish she had but overall we were underwhelmed by our experience, for $140 dinner we expect more.
- Beautiful FoodMike0060Dined on 7/31/2014We were blow away by the presentation of the unique three-course dinner menu; colors, smells, tastes that surprised us for this location. Cocktails started us off for on a foodie journey that was only walking distance from the office. All three courses were amazingly diverse and as wonderfully delicious. Portions were perfect, with a variety of flavors and textures that left us wanting more; until desert pushed us over the edge. It was a fabulous experience all around - a real gem that is not easy to beat.Special Features:
- Was kinda bummed!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014I'm a huge foodie and was so excited to bring my date to Borough. I'd been there before and loved it. We went on a Tuesday night and it was very quiet. The crowd was on the older side. The food took forever which was so surprising since it wasn't busy. After a noticeably long time, the Mgr came over, apologized and said the food was prepared incorrectly and was being redone, which was what took so long. The problem was that they told us way too long into our wait (my date had left to reload our parking meter!). He was disappointed and I was finding myself trying to convince him this place was sure to please. The food was immaculate and delicious-AND they took care of our first cocktail and first course (the right thing to do).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/28/2014What an excellent restaurant! The food was beautiful, unique and absolutely delectable.Special Features:
- Great Food!FirstDined on 7/28/2014The only reason why I gave them 2 stars for ambience was because they had an episode of fruit flies when I visited. The food and service were outstanding with a free dessert due to the situation. I will give them a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Borough - at nightMikeMcDined on 7/25/2014Everything was very good. We went there after a play at the Guthrie so it was late, 11 pm. Even so, the food was great, the service attentive. It was a fun evening. Especially since we could sit outside and watch the people coming and going in the area. It was restaurant week so they had a prix fixe menu which was great. Innovative and fun.Special Features:
- Restaraunt Week MenuCocoaBeanDined on 7/25/2014The menu was very nice. Would have liked one more 2nd course offering. We ordered the fish- excellent! The chanterelles melted in our mouths. The radish dessert was superb! Looking forward to the Borough block Party...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Ooo27Dined on 7/24/2014We had a fabulous time. The food, service, and ambiance was perfect! Will absolutely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked but could be betterStaceyTVIPDined on 7/24/2014Went to Borough finally for restaurant week. Menu for restaurant week was not my taste so we ordered off the regular menu. The food was beautiful but not quite as yummy as it could've been. Was a little warm in there. Also was by the windows that open very wide but they were shut and there were some gnats flying around. I liked it but not as well as I thought I would.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.