730 Washington Ave N, Ste 114
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.boroughmpls.com/
- Phone: 6123543135x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Monday: 5pm to 12am
Tuesday-Saturday: 5pm to 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tyler Shipton & Nick O'Leary
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have event options. Please contact us to discuss your next big event!
- Private Party Contact: Keely Nyquist 6123543135x
- Special Events: Borough Block Party on August 10th! $5 entry fee. From noon to 7pm.
Good food, drinks and live bands! Featuring:
Black Market Brass
A word from Borough
Borough was created to represent the chefs point of view of simplicity. We are a casual eatery with an ever changing menu that focuses on simple ingredients that are seasonal and sourced locally. This ever changing menu allows our chefs to stay creative with the changing of the seasons and the food that is offered by foragers during them.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Borough reviews from OpenTable diners
260 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (219)special occasion (143)romantic (101)hot spot (98)neighborhood gem (92)great for outdoor dining (87)vibrant bar scene (46)notable wine list (35)good for groups (33)late-night find (31)scenic view (10)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (4)Show More
- DisappointedsuefDined on 10/19/2014The menu is limited, the host staff was neither welcoming or service oriented. Our waiter Chris was great. Food was good but not memorable. If you are looking for a romantic dinner for two, make reservations elsewhere as the seating is tight and you easily heard the conversation at the nearby tables. Would not recommend this restaurant.
- Food and service were 5-star!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014You can't go wrong with this restaurant! Loved the ambiance and the food was outstanding! The staff, though, really set it apart. From the host to the bartender to the server, everyone was incredibly knowledgable, accommodating, personable, and just down-right nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014The place is very nice, food is absolutely delicious. Glass of wine is served less than normal level.Special Features:
- JazzyVIPDined on 10/17/2014One of the best restaurants I'm Minneapolis! Will return the next time I'm in the city!Special Features:
- Always amazing!CRFoodieDined on 10/17/2014Can never go wrong with this fabulous restaurant. The incredibly unique and fantastic cocktails created by Jesse Held are worth the trip alone, they are always out of the world. Great comfortable atmosphere in Parlour, laid back, but hip. We always start out in the bar and make our way upstairs for the food which is always "on point" and served up by an incredible staff.Special Features:
- Great FoodNella39Dined on 10/16/2014We enjoyed a very special meal of different dishes that were uniquely prepared and delicious. These ranged from from pork belly and octopus to three different cuts of lamb on a single dish. We enjoyed this food in a very pleasant atmosphere. This was one of our a favorite dining experiences in the last couple of years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third PartydingdongcuckooDined on 10/11/2014This was the second time I dined at The Borough -- we had a 9:00 reservation and the restaurant was quieting down by the time we left at midnight. The food and service was terrific -- nice pace to the meal, never felt rushed, lots of good suggestions with food choices and wine. Our waiter was friendly and informative. Really nice evening! Well worth what we spent!!Special Features:
- Food was fine, service greatclosetfoodieDined on 10/11/2014Did not knock our socks off. The food was good but the service was great. It was loud and hard to have a chat without yelling. Maybe good for a large group not so much for a couple. Would like to try the outside seating next summer.
- Great dinnerServiceRulesDined on 10/10/2014The tables were very close together so it's tough to move around, but the decor was neat. The food was orginal, innovative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was outstanding!DateNiteDiningDined on 10/10/2014First time at Borough and we will definitely be back (provided that the woman sitting at the table next to us is NOT (really, I don't need to hear your entire medical history while I'm eating the sweetbreads which were delicious)). The service was prompt and knowledgeable. I enjoyed the latest cocktail with a donation to cancer research fund (a great tie-in, I can drink and still be socially conscious, works for me. I was drinking for charity). Food presentation was lovely.Special Features:
- Date nightRonMDined on 10/10/2014If you like to experiment with unique combinations of tastes, textures put together with artistic excellence you'll like The Borough. Steak Tartare was awesome. Our server (Clare) recommended a wine that turned out to be fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable dinnerjoefDined on 10/10/2014borough has a decent menu with interesting selections. we had an early reservation so it was not too busy. all dishes we had were good. the lamb was excellent.Special Features:
- A little light on executionMkd628Dined on 10/9/2014Great service and atmosphere. Menu was eclectic and intriguing. My wife and I shared 6 dishes. Unfortunately, all were served lukewarm. Sweetbreads were over cooked and not hot. Duck soup was superb. Pork belly was spot on. Octopus was done perfectly and sauce was perfect match. Salmon and oxtail was low point. Too many items on plate conflicting. Lamb 3 ways was well done. Again all brought down by sitting too long before serving. Was Thursday night and not real busy?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chef karl tomallaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014a former neighbor and nice man. we enjoyed the creativity of the menu items. our waiter was professional and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with limited menuDuckyDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant is really for people that want a foodies experience. The menu is really limited, not for the picky simple menu diner. All the dishes were a work of art , labor intensive , and excellent flavor. Service was very good and loved all the wonderful windows facing Washington ave.Special Features:
- Borough...always a fine choiceTimmerDined on 10/1/2014The folks at Borough know how to create and deliver a great dining experience. On this trip, I hosted two business colleagues - both were first-timers to Borough and both are sophisticated eaters/travelers. We all loved the dining experience, the atmosphere, the view from the huge windows, Katherine's excellent tableside knowledge of the dishes and matching wines/cocktails, the manager's (Keely) mid-meal check in, plenty of space to chat and relax, and a great value for the time we spent. If you haven't been, check out Borough. Right away.Special Features:
- outstanding!lovemplsxoxoDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful dining experience - from the atmosphere, to the food, to the service...we will definitely be back and be recommending Borough to our friends! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite ObscureBirthdayGirlDined on 9/26/2014Food flavors didn't quite meld together. Service was Ok but then lacked attention after dinner. Overpriced. OK for a drink but saw others look at menu then leave. Not crowded and many open tables during prime time.
- loved boroughOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2014Everything was so great. We ate outside which was lovely. The food was so tasty and interesting and the service was great tooSpecial Features:
- Another great find!xpditeVIPDined on 9/21/2014Brought my wife here for our 24th anniversary. The food was amazing! The octopus and the Opah were some of the best dishes I've had in a long time. Our server explained all the nuances of each dish with great detail and passion and helped us craft the perfect 3 course dinning event! Enjoyed our meal outside on the deck! An excellent way to kick off another year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Excellent evening for our 20th anniversary. Have suggested it to many friends. Great ourdoor bar.Special Features:
- Doing it small at Borough.ParkFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Great First and Second Courses and Entrees to share and sample. Servicer Chris H. was fabulous and gave great pairing suggestings of food and cocktails for food we tried. Need an open mind, since it is a mix of gastro-pub, game fair, and experimentation. Truly worth a go, and not for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too fancy for me!Run2EatDined on 9/17/2014Great place, we sat on the patio. The service was also good. The food was pretty more than substantial, and some people would appreciate that. I prefer a big plate of food!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Borough was suggested to me by a doctor I work with. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it because if that. I was quite surprised by everything. The food was experimental yet comforting. The chef did a great job of marrying world flavors and Midwestern ideas. The ambiance was exciting and fast paced, lots of people moving about but in a very casual way. I would definitely suggest Borough to others and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014My boyfriend and I had a lovely meal at Borough this weekend while we were visiting Minneapolis from Chicago. Our plane was delayed by 2 1/2 hours and I called the restaurant and they were able to push back our reservation for us even though the opentable website said there were no reservations until 9:30pm. The food was very good-we especially loved the beef tartar first course. The service was wonderful-there was a little wait for our cocktails to arrive at the table and they generously took them off our bill for us due to the delay. After dinner we went down for a couple of drinks at Parlour which is a happening scene-the music was great and the drinks were interesting and delicious. We had a great night! Thank you Borough and Parlour!Special Features:
- Modern Bistro in North LoopjcdmplsDined on 9/13/2014Perfectly suited to its architecture with large-paned windows, wide subway tiled walls, screaming high ceilings, and an outdoor patio on an old loading dock. Our server suggested as a couple for our first visit that we follow a 2-2-1 strategy which was perfect. The menu has modern takes on French, Asian, and Indian themes with wonderful results. First courses: Burrata- brilliant, Duck- pate too bland. Seconds: Steak- very delicious, Octopus- fantastic. Entree: Opah- really lovely and a nice light finish. We had no room for dessert. Four out of five stars for dishes. No wonder Borough is on the top list of Minneapolis restaurants and was in Bon Appetit's 2013 list. Stop by the Parlour Bar downstairs too, great vibe.Special Features:
- ExcellentUpextracoldDined on 9/13/2014Server was outstanding, entertaining and fun without an attitude. Seating for two was a bit cozy and not so private. Great wine and bar menu, but intentionally missing some top shelf brands to be unique. Dinner menu was also limited, but all of our selections we were amazing. Will definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LMR006Dined on 9/8/2014Service was great and food was unique and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing however the service was terrible. We asked for more water and extra bread when our food came and received them both when they were clearing our plates. We are not unusually fast eaters but that was just how slow the service was. It was ashame because the food was honestly the best food I have ever had. I would recommend it to a friend however the service was so poor I don't consider this one of my top Minneapolis dinner spots.Special Features:
- Worth the trip!TasteComesFirstDined on 8/31/2014I travelled from Texas (and before that from Australia) and had read about about Borough and was keen for some good food. I was not disappointed. The duck pate was well presented and was combined with several elements including small cured duck breast slices (think prosciutto). The lightly battered chicken was excellent with the breast pieces incredibly tender and moist yet quite hot (as in straight from the pan, not from spices). My waitress was very pleasant and the restaurant itself is very well presented with both indoor and outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Incredible FoodmaltesaDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding meal. The Burrata was beautifully plated and absolutely delicious. But my favourite was the Sturgeon which was served with a corn broth / sauce and corn, tomato and chanterelle mushroom side. I would never have imagined combining these flavours would have been so delicious. And the corn broth was absolutely addictive. It could have been served as a soup which is likely why they also give you a soup spoon. We thought the octopus was OK but still good. Chocolate dessert was good. Only room for improvement is ambience. Indoor dining room was cold and outdoor patio music was too loud. But the outstanding inventive meal made up for this. Waitress was extremely helpful giving excellent detailed descriptions of menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food by folks who careSparkyDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I truly enjoyed the entire dining experience. All our menu choices were excellent and each was explained clearly by our wait person. A great place for a memorable meal with your spouse or a small group. We'll be back.Special Features:
- toothyDined on 8/30/2014Food wasn't good, service was sub-par, drinks good. The marlin looked fancy and had foam and all the "gourmet" stuff, but fish wasn't fresh. Nothing was very good, even the butter served with the bread was too salty. Except the dessert, it was awesome, got the chocolate one.
- Outstanding MenuSORfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Loved everything we ordered - food and cocktails. Beef tartare first course was incredible. Then headed downstairs to Parlour for dessert and night cap. Great evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeSweetmanVIPDined on 8/29/2014All we knew about Borough was that it was new and popular, so when we could get in on short notice on a Friday night we went for it. Honestly, when we first looked at the menu we thought "how do we gracefully get out of here; this isn't for us". But the waiter was very helpful in terms of describing menu items and sharing his opinions. The first course was only OK (believe it was called Burrata). The second course (Cauliflower) was out-of-this-world, as were the entrees (chicken and strip steak). Every item has a variety of ingredients, spices, and preparation that make each bite as surprisingly and delightful as the last. The chocolate malt cake dessert was also outstanding!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014After all the hype about this restaurant, I was disappointed. The service was inattentive and slow. We arrived two hours before theater time, thinking that would give us plenty of time. But the waiter made no attempt to speed things along--even after we told him we needed to get to the theater. He did not once offer a refill of our iced teas. He just didn't seem very interested in serving us. Maybe he was miffed that we weren't drinking the famed and expensive cocktails. The food was good, if a bit too "deconstructed" for my taste. The prices were above what I would have expected given the very small portion sizes. I would probably not go back. There are just too many other good choices in Minneapolis these days.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceEatoutaddictDined on 8/25/2014The food was memorable and we loved the presentation. The service was great and the waiter was very knowledgable about the menu and specific ingredients. We weren't there during a busy time so not sure of the noise level when it is full. We will returnSpecial Features:
- LovejoyeatsoutDined on 8/23/2014This is one of my favorites in the TC area! They simply know food. The chef has mastered the art of fusion and other modern day artistic expression without over doing it. The food bursts with perfect textures and flavors. Foodies will absolutely love this place!!! It’s laid back but also great for special occasions. They just have it right. BTW: The marlin crudo is a must, as is the octopus!Special Features:
- No sturgeonKLJ16Dined on 8/21/2014Everything was good until I ate the sturgeon which tasted like I took a bite of lake Superior. The sides were too bland to cover it up. The server asked me how it was and I told him and he basically just walked away. I waited so long to eat here and was very disappointed with the menu choices. I knew sturgeon sounded too strange but thought them could pull it off. Guess I was wrong about one thing
- Fun flavorsloves2eatVIPDined on 8/18/2014We really enjoyed the various courses wee tried. The ginger soup and borretta, pasta, and especially the dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.