700 Post St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
IndonesianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.borobudursf.com/
- Phone: 4157751512
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30AM - 5:00PM
Sunday: 1:00PM - 5:00PM
Dinner: Sunday- Thursday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Vegetarian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Yunita Gouw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies)
- Catering: We will gladly cater you office lunch, birthday party or wedding.
A word from Borobudur
Borobudur is an award winning Indonesian Restaurant. The television show “Check Please” regarded Borobudur as the Best Indonesian Restaurant in the Bay Area. The restaurant was founded by a husband and wife, Soe Bin Ang and Yunita Gouw. Having more than twenty years of experience as Chef of Indonesian cuisine, they have created contemporary authentic Indonesian foods. Through creativity, they transform traditional Indonesian spices to create Indonesian foods that are perfect for our modern taste bud, but still maintain the tradition. Up to this day, they continue to mix their own Indonesian spices to maintain quality and truly deliver an award winning Indonesian cuisine.Continued
Please be advised that we DO NOT accept any vouchers or discount coupons.
Please be advised that we DO NOT accept any vouchers or discount coupons.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Borobudur reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (10)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- lost consistancyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014I have been to Borobudor 5 times now. Every other time it was amazing. This time the food was barely fair.
- Indonesian Food in San FranciscoCliffDined on 7/20/2014Modest establishment, friendly staff, serving tasty, good sized portions of Indonesian food. Tried two dihes, one lamb, one seafood, which were nicely spiced and well cooked. For hungrier folks there is a ris tafel comprising many portions at a very reasonable price in the upper mid-twenties. This is proported to be the best Indonesian food in town, so I plan to bring an Indonesian friend of mine to see what she says. Report will follow. Stayed tuned.Special Features:
- Don't bother goingAK19VIPDined on 7/16/2014Surly service. Mediocre food. Will not be going again
- Excellent FoodDineTownVIPDined on 6/27/2014The food is excellent as always. However, they definitely need to work on their service. A little cheering up won't hurt.
- Glad we found it!PinksterDined on 6/19/2014My friend and I always look for a place to eat near the theater. Using streetview, my friend found this restaurant, it was fantastic! I took the Yelp suggestions & tried the honey chicken- Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeunhappyDined on 6/11/2014Have eaten here many times and food has always been delicious with good quality. This time one dish, spinach with garlic, was stems of spinach with dry garlic sprinkles. There were no spinach leaves nor fresh garlic whatsoever. The other dishes were fine. Next time will ask before ordering any dish to avoid same experience.Special Features:
- TastyObserverVIPDined on 6/9/2014Very pleased with the food and ambiance. Very good Indonesian food, would like more 1-person-meal options.Special Features:
- good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014Having lived in Indonesia I was expecting the food to be a little more authentic. The gado gado, spring rolls, chicken and shrimp dishes as well as the black rice dessert were all excellent. I wasn't as fond of the soto ayam or the randang. Both needed more spice. The tempe was my least favorite on the ristaffle. The presentation was great and the service excellent. Value for money was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersDeaconDined on 6/1/2014We like trying different types of food, and this was our first shot at Indonesian. Like any first experience there is a potential for wonder and despair. We didn't like Indonesian food as well as we had hoped. Nothing against Borobrodur; I'm sure the food was great for those with different tastes. Service was great, despite a crowded restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indonesian good in SFSanFranciscodinerDined on 5/24/2014I grew up eating my mom's Indonesian home cooking. I also went to Indonesia and got a taste of the local food. I love Indonesian food and therefore have expectations how it should taste like. I would recommend this restaurant for those who crave good Indonesian food. It is not quite like my mom's cooking but I think this is the best in SF.Special Features:
- disappointingtravelerDined on 5/22/2014Atmosphere was good with a selection of vegetarian dishes but food was overcooked and sauces were heavy and not flavorful.
- Delicious bargain!twofunsfDined on 5/3/2014We went to Borobudur for a Saturday night out. What a great deal! we ordered the Rijsttafel special for $26.50 each, and we got 11 dishes! Each dish was unique and flavorful. They included beef, shrimp, chicken, tofu, and vegetable dishes. The noise level was very loud, but in their defense there was a part of at least 20 there, celebrating a birthday. We loved each dish, although my wife thought a couple were a bit too spicy, But hey! it's Indonesian cuisine so it's expected. I though each dish had a distinct flavor profile and texture. Highlights were the beef Rendang and gado-Gado (a vegetable dish). We hed more food than we could eat, and loved it all! Not a very romantic place, but the food is outstanding and service is attentive.Special Features:
- Unique for usWinnterrDined on 5/2/2014Met our expectations as a new cuisine. We liked the spicey flavors. It would be better with a larger group to try a variety of dishesSpecial Features:
- First time for VietnameseToddDined on 4/29/2014I can't compare it to other Vietnamese restaurants, but many of the flavors were similar to Thai. I thought everything we ate was delicious. The service was a little slow and could be friendlier, but not terrible (3 stars). The decor is uninspired. If I'm in the neighborhood, looking for a casual meal, I'd go back. Prices were fair.
- The Best Indonesian...OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/22/2014i've tried outside of Indonesian. I "discovered" Borobodur over a decade ago when few people knew about them. Now, more people are familiar or curious enough to try Indonesian and the restaurant has become popular.Special Features:
- The following 145 reviews are from the Borobudur reviews archive.
- Indonesian SamplerWaltVIPDined on 3/30/2014This unassuming restaurant on the corner of Post and Jones Streets, Borobodur is a great introduction to Indonesian cuisine. If you are unsure what to order, try their sampler; but fair warning--bring an appetite! Three of us took half of that meal home with us; and it was just as good the next for lunch. It is now on our list of restaurants to revisit whenever we are back in San Francisco--about four times each year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2014the food and service were very good. Interesting menu . Esther was very attentive and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingkrsiDined on 3/12/2014Of the three dishes we ordered at Borobodur, one was enjoyable, one was acceptable and one was completely off. The chef seems to have no understanding of how to make murtabok. The server was pleasant and efficient. The restaurant was rundown and in need of repair and cleaning, an unpleasant ambiance.
- Good FoodritusmartVIPDined on 3/8/2014Good food for cheap, don't miss out the Roti Prata. All the menu is good.Special Features:
- Average Indonesian FoodYelFerDined on 2/20/2014It is a shame that San Francisco does not have an Indonesian restaurant that rivals the real thing you can find in Joga, Bali or Singapore. The flavors were kind of there, and the restaurant is very pleasant. The service was excellent. But I have had better street food Throughout Malasia, Java and Bali, I had the Rijstaffel, which is the traditional banquet assortment and it was all just ordinary. If you have never sampled the flavors before, then you should try this cuisine and Borobudur is a good start. But to really see what Indonesian food tastes like, you will need to hop on a plane.
- Great Food - Great ServicesfcbDined on 2/16/2014Always a treat to eat at Borobudur! Delicious food (my favourite is the marinated honey beef - how do they get it that tender?!). The staff is wonderful and attentive (without being intrusive). I recommend them to everyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am not familiar with IndonesianWabbitDined on 2/4/2014I am not familiar with Indonesian cuisine, but the "Rice Table", a tastey sampler of 9 dishes, including dessert, is well worth the visit and, at just $30 per person, a great way to be introduced to this food culture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014Everything we had was delicious. Would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Best Indonesian in townPickyforareasonDined on 1/23/2014I lived in Java for a year and Singapore for two and miss the food from that region. Borobudur has all my favorites and they do it well. Try the roti prata to start and the beef rendang. They actually have water spinach on the menu (kang kong), which I've never seen in SF. It is seasonal and they didn't have it in January but I'll try it next time. That and the soto ayam. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Pre-Theater OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/18/2014Good exposure to Indonesian food. Quick enough for a pre-theater dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/17/2014After being seated we were virtually ignored. They barely took our order and threw the food out in about 20 minutes. The service was very unwelcoming and when we would look back at the employees they would look back and the ignore us. The food was much better when were there last, about 8 months ago. The prices are too much for the amount of food and the food was lackluster.
- Great Food, Need More WaitstaffRobynDined on 1/8/2014When we walked into the restaurant, we were warmly greeted by the server. She was very friendly, with a big smile, and showed us where to sit. She was very helpful with the menu. She was the only one working on the floor. More tables were filling up and she just got really busy. The food was slow to come out as more people started ordering. The food was excellent, very tasty, and all six of us loved our dishes. Try the curry, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Indonesian Food!SFdiningDined on 1/4/2014Food was very tasty, authentic and the price is very reasonable. It was my first time eating here. I brought my boyfriend with me and we were both just blown away. If you are up for some good authentic Indonesian food with quality, and you don't want to break your wallet, then I highly encourage you to try Borobudur. I promise you that you will not be dissapointed! We'll definitely be coming back! ;)Special Features:
- Indonesian GemEJR9006Dined on 12/26/2013Authentic Indonesian cuisine. You know you have the real deal when all the other patrons are Indonesians!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hole-in-the-wallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2013Had their rijsttafel, and enjoyed it immensely. The decor is pretty understated for the quality of food (ala hole-in-the-wall). The service is very friendly and adept (which I'm totally fine with, hence my high service rating), but not of the calibre you'd find at fine dining establishments. Really loved the black-rice pudding after the meal, and I don't even like rice pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place on edge of tenderloinajg94040Dined on 12/22/2013Only downside about this restaurant is its location. We made the mistake of walking from the Asian Art Museum thru the Tenderloin. It was broad daylight so it was not dangerous to see the human tragedy of the Tenderloin. Food is fantastic - just approach this restaurant from Union Square side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food!sfcbDined on 12/12/2013Never had anything bad at Borobudur! The best is the marinated honey beef: cut-with-a-fork tender and so flavorful.Special Features:
- Excellent Food; Mediocre ServiceDineTownVIPDined on 12/7/2013The service was not that great. The food was AWESOME however. We loved the Rendeng beef stew and the satays. Parking was almost impossible in San Francisco on a Saturday night. However, it was worth the struggle to eat at this place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Panda Express w/ a SE Asia flairSweetBrieVIPDined on 12/6/2013Service was very slow and inattentive. I would describe the food as Southeast Asian cuisine that has been westernized, ie Panda Express plus coconut milk and curry. Most of the dishes were a bit on the greasy side but it was fitting for the cold and rainy night we visited. We had a hard time finding healthy options on the menu despite the large number of vegetarian dishes...everything was fried and the stir fries were exceptionally greasy.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving Indonesian StylelipsmackrDined on 11/28/2013It was great to leave the cooking to Borobudur. The food was good and we are again so glad they were serving but the service was quite slow. We ran out of wine and dishes piled up. Prices were very reasonable and they had an amazing selection of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tenderloin gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/28/2013Even though the restaurant is not in the best part of town, the food is certainly worth the adventure getting there. Their soto ayam was fragrant, delicious and light. The grilled chicken was wonderfully seasoned, grilled with a nice kick from the heat department. They even have soda gembira (happy soda) which made me very happy. A definite return when we are back in the city!Special Features:
- Always Good and ConsistentLuv2eatDined on 11/16/2013If you like, are curious or even interested in Indonesian food this is the go to place in downtown San Francisco. I had a friend visiting from San Diego and thought he would enjoy the experience of Borobudur's rijsttafel which is their rice-table dinner. It was a good way to sample their many traditional dishes. Reasonably priced for 2 at around $27.00 each which included a choice of appetizer, soup and then a selection of 6 generous dishes and then a choice of dessert. My friend enjoyed his rijsttafel experience and thought the food delicious. I have been going to Borobudur on and off since the mid 1990's and never had a bad meal no matter what I chose to eat. Their Gado Gado salad is one of the best of have had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Indonesian!JayceVIPDined on 11/8/2013I’ve been here more than 5x and I live in the East Coast. Being an Indonesian, I can assure you that Borobudur serves authentic Indonesian delicacies!Special Features:
- Good food, pleasant placelive2eatDined on 10/25/2013We always enjoy our meals at Borobudur. The service was again friendly, efficient, and helpful without being intrusive. I went on a Friday and by the time I left the place was (deservedly) full, so be sure to reserve on weekend nights.Special Features:
- Authentic!Sleepless989Dined on 9/7/2013I've first tasted Indonesian food in the Netherlands and I love it! My Dutch friend recommended this restaurant in SF. And I'm impressed! Celebrated my birthday with good food! I now know where to bring my friends and family....It was worth the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.