499 9th St
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.borgoitaliaoakland.com/index.html
- Phone: 5102511008
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Borgo Italia
Aromas of home cooking, a warm welcome, carefully prepared food and well-paired wines are what we feel make for a great meal. Come for lunch, dinner, or just a friendly chat over a glass of wine or morning cappuccino.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Borgo Italia reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great food and service ...MarkSTDined on 6/12/2013They need outdoor dinning on hot summer nights; otherwise, a delightful experience. We especially liked the brussels sprouts and Casanova Rosso. We look forward to going back and explorer more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kinda DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/5/2013Borgo Italia is my favorite local Italian restaurant. Normally everything is perfect, but it fell a little flat last time. Friendly service still, but hardly any attention (it was difficult to place orders). Great food, but some of the recipes appear to have been changed. It was also REALLY loud, which surprised me for a Wednesday. That being said, I'm hoping it was just an off night, & am looking forward to going back. Definitely check them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meallareinaDined on 5/28/2013The chicken cacciatore was light, exquisite and delicious, and the veal was exceptional. The toasted bread was a wonderful accompaniment (great for sopping up the last bits of sauce). I would highly recommended this place for all of your upcoming meal adventures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I regret goingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/25/2013I was served the most over-cooked, mushy lasagna noodles that I have ever tasted. Canned noodles have more body. I ordered a salad to start, and sure enough the lasagna also came with a salad. Earlier they were serving a vegetable. But they had no shame and did not offer a swap or to take the prior salad off the bill. It has great picture-windows and although nearly empty, they insisted on sitting people away from the windows--the best asset that they have. I don't get it and I will not go back.
- Great business lunch in OaklandBisluncherDined on 5/23/2013Beautiful Old Oakland historic spot. Elegant and approachable food. Gracious, warm service that struck the right balance between giving us space and being available when we needed it. I recommend this spot for business lunches and also for a fun "escape".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs some workOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/18/2013Our appetizer, soup and main entree were swimming in oil and not a quality oil at that. Everything was over cooked, the caponata was particularly awful. That said, both management and staff were hospitable and the ambience is quite nice. They need a review of quality food preparation and perhaps a new chef.
- Downtown GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2013Great find in downtown Oakland. Atmosphere is comfortable, food is great, nice selection of Itailian wines. I will be back!Special Features:
- Our meal was very good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/11/2013Our meal was very good, but was overpriced for what we received - the pastas and brussel sprouts in particular. We shared a salad with goat cheese (delicious), had three entrees - penne arriabiata, lasagna and eggplant parmesean and shared an order of brussel sprouts and, before tip, our bill was over $90. The penne which turned out to be only pasta with a red sauce (no meat) was $19 (more expensive than both the eggplant and lasagna!) and the brussel sprouts, a very small portion, were $10. We enjoyed the atmosphere and our servers were helpful and nice. We plan to return to give it another try, but will order differently.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2013We enjoyed an incredible dinner. The service was great, food delicious and a special atmosphere for celebrating a special birthday. The Fritto Mista , antipasto and pizzas are all worth experiencing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancynancyDined on 5/3/2013The food was Delicious and Sarah our server was awesome!! I've walked by this spot hundreds of times and am so happy I tried it, I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- how it adds upPSPSVIPDined on 5/2/2013no sound insulation + pounding music = no conversation. great sounding menu + only mediocre execution = no recommendation.
- Authentic Italian in Oakland!Oski925VIPDined on 4/30/2013My wife and I have dines at Borgo Italia three times in the last few weeks, and it has been consistently wonderful. We tell everyone we meet about the Torta Fritta. The Pastas are excellent -- the Bolognese ragu is as good as I've had outside of Bologna, and the gnocchi is the first I've had locally that was light and delicate. They have a modest, but interesting wine list, and the staff is charming. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Borgo – Parma Italia in Old OaklandOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Borgo is truly a neighborhood gem. I feel so fortunate to have a wonderful part of Parma, Italia within the heart of Old Oakland. Thank you!Special Features:
- Got a nice corner booth forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2013Got a nice corner booth for dinner along the window and started with the a simple nice deli platter with a puff pastry-type bread which seemed to be made to stuff the deli meats in. We had the Pizza Margherita (cheese, tomato sauce, basil), the gnocchi with pesto, the Spezzatino veal stew, sauteed Luganega pork sausage over polenta with red onions, a big t-bone steak with a balsamic glaze. Pizza was just decent, but everything else was great, especially the Luganega (my date had it, I was jealous). Finished off with a desert of chocolate desert "sausage" and the panna cotta, both really good. Service is ok, prolly cuz they're understaffed - our waiter was friendly and made a great wine recommendation. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Never again!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/24/2013I took a friend here for her birthday lunch and it was a disaster. The Bianca salad had no taste whatever; the marguerita pizza, which we waited 30 minutes for, was runny and almost inedible (they comped it and also gave us a free dessert). The tiramisu was nice, and the tagliatelle bolognese was quite good. The very apologetic waitress seemed harried by the fact that there was a large party in the house which seemed to be a problem that affected her and the kitchen.
- One of a only a few placesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2013One of a only a few places in downtown Oakland to have lunch with waitstaff. Service was friendly and efficient. However, quality of food has been steadily slipping over the past year, and this visit was a new low in terms of food quality and presentation. At their prices, the quality needs to get back to where it was a year ago, or they too, like several predecessors in this space, will be shuttered due to lack of repeat patrons.Special Features:
- A bit noisy, but fun. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013A bit noisy, but fun. Food was good, but needs finesses. Expensive. Service was slow. Host was friendly. Give it a B- C+ overall.
- A good Italian, basic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2013A good Italian, basic restaurant in downtown Oakland. The food is quite good, the service ranges from attentive to rushed to a bit forgetful - but friendly nevertheless. Some fun Italian wines on the moderate wine list. Will return again.
- Everything I read about thisNYEveDined on 4/17/2013Everything I read about this restaurant came true on the first visit. The food is absolutely authentic and fabulous. The hospitality offered by Fabbio was generous and genuine. The lasagna, gnocchi and eggplant were melt-in-your mouth amazing. Everything and our server, Bob, made it a delightful experience! Can't wait to go back. Grazie mille per una cena fantastica!Special Features:
- Yummm!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2013The food was very good, unique menu. Our waiter was outstanding, he was helpful by explaining the dishes and let us sample different types of wine.Special Features:
- I love the feel of this place;OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013I love the feel of this place; filled with aromas of home cooking, a warm welcome and great Italian wine list. I definitely would return to try more dishes! The fennel salad was wonderful and Torta Fritta Emiliana (puffy fried dough with salumi) was outstanding. Our server was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the food.Special Features:
- Old Oakland GemgyellinDined on 4/6/2013It's great to have a wonderful Italian restaurant in Oakland. It's located in an area now referred to as "Old Oakland", where the Victorian buildings have been rejuvenated, which adds to the "neighborhood trattoria" feeling you get when you go inside. The food is fantastic (you must try the Torta Fritta Emiliana", the wine list offers a very nice Valpolicella, and the decor is as put together and comfortable as it gets. Finally, Fabio Dalle Vacche, one of the restaurant's principals, is a charming, attentive presence, who is assisted by an excellent wait staff.Special Features:
- Amazing italian foodAribVIPDined on 4/5/2013Outstanding food and wine, main cpurse was late due to mixup in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Atmosphere better than foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/4/2013Love the atmosphere and the service. Food was good but not great with the exception of the balsamic oil for dipping the bread. The balsamic was amazing. Wait staff very good. Enjoyed it any may return but will try other places first.
- Bruschetta was so deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/4/2013Bruschetta was so delicious - my mouth is watering just writing about it. My son loved the gnocchi and I the spaghetti. Wonderful creamy pudding- type dessert served in a jar. Outstanding Italian wines - we both thought the Valpolicella was terrific!. Top-notch dinner and a lovely evening!Special Features:
- It is my second time for lunch.petersburg1VIPDined on 4/3/2013It is my second time for lunch. It is very nice to have a place with authentic food in Oakland. I am honestly tired of sandwiches. Double espresso was excellent,the best outside of Rome!Special Features:
- Second time dining @ BI. First/prioOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2013Second time dining @ BI. First/prior experience was lovely hence the returning visit. Second experience; my boyfriend & I brought my mom here as a "special" dinner, she was visting from out of town. The mood&ambience lovely. Service was better than good. The food, the primary reason for dining out was disappointing. I ordered gnocchi al pesto, my bf ordered sausage pizza, my mom ordered chicken cacciatore. Both my & my bf's main courses were fine. My moms meal was bland, disappointing, fatty & boney! The sauce/gravy was bland,the 4 pieces of chicken were 90% bone & fat, 10% small slivers of meat. We consulted w/our server, she said "Yeah that chicken is a little boney". She was apologetic & did comp the chicken.AVOID CHICKEN CACCIATORE!!!Special Features:
- Moderately priced wines, smallOaktownieVIPDined on 3/30/2013Moderately priced wines, small but nice selection, one Chianti was a little drier than first dry red Italian import; oversized, nicely dressed salads; tomato soup was sauce in bowl with flavor galore; pastas were served hot and tasty; fried polenta perfect; sausage a bit less favor than anticipated; and server made extra effort to concoct a cheese tray, while panacotta was creamy and delightful. We really enjoy Borgo, which adjusted at the last minute our reservation from two to three.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013Loved this place, when we walked in we were greeted right away with a friendly, smiling face. There were four of us and we each ordered something different - everyone loved what they ordered. The service was great, our waitress was attentive and answered any questions we had. I had read some older reviews which said it took forever to get service and some of the staff was rude.... did NOT have that experience at all! Nice little place in downtown Oakland, will be back.Special Features:
- We ordered the lasagna becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/29/2013We ordered the lasagna because it was delicious the Friday before but this time the lasagna was dry and didn't have enough bechamel sauce. Our waiter was great tho.Special Features:
- couldn't carry on a conversationneighborDined on 3/29/2013couldn't carry on a conversation it was sooo noisy. Need more pasta choices; one with fish or vegi's would be helpful.
- The food was very good, butgoodstowDined on 3/27/2013The food was very good, but a little expensive. I ordered a second glass of wine, but the server forgot. Besides that, the overall experience was very pleasant.
- Best yet in this location!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/26/2013We're been to this location, which has housed at least 4-5 different restaurants over the past 20+ years, many times, and this is the best we've experienced! Great, authentic food, the owner's mother's restaurant's furniture from Parma, and a warm, inviting atmosphere. Best tomato/bread soup ever, and the panna cotta was to die for. We'r going back in a few eeks with friends.Special Features:
- The service here was quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013The service here was quite simply amazing. We were given some fantastic wine choices, too, since my partner is a picky wine drinker. But the wine chosen for her she loved. We had risotto and gnocchi dishes that were fresh, and full of delicious flavors. I highly recommend this cool restaurant!Special Features:
- This lovely restaurant spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2013This lovely restaurant space has housed many excellent restaurants. Borgo Italia carries on this tradition. My companion and I split a salad and a chopped chicken entree with a delicious tomato sauce. Service was good and not overbearing. Wine selection by the glass was limited. They have added booths along the wall which we sat in. The only problem was they were elevated, which I forgot about and nearly fell getting up. The wait staff should probably warn people about that.Special Features:
- Neither my husband nor I wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2013Neither my husband nor I were very impressed by the food. My husband had a risotto and salad w. oranges and I had the veal stew. Food was OK but should have been better for the price. The fried bread and salumi appetizer was good but too much bread. Had a nice Italian Neboljo. And the service was good. I'd like to see more non-carb options on the menu e.g. sauteed fish, chicken piccata etc.
- Fabulous as always!! VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2013Fabulous as always!! Very authentic Italian menu. Unique dishes, warm welcoming atmosphere. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Run, don't walk to this newwagsVIPDined on 3/15/2013Run, don't walk to this new addition to Old Oakland. From the insulate di aranci which paired a glaze of balsamic vinegar over a slice of orange to the perfectly coated spaghetti alla amatriciana, I felt like I was in Italy again. The spezzatino di Vitello was melt in your mouth delicious and the zabaione the perfect finish to a wonderful meal. It was very busy and service got off to a slow start, but our waitress not only apologized but insisted on comping us an appetizer. She was so pleasant we forgave all.Special Features:
- Like a evening in Lucca---aGaryDined on 3/15/2013Like a evening in Lucca---a Lovely Italian Resturant-True Italy in a safe Oakland Neighborhood-wonderful food, service-a pleasant surprise-we will return! Grazie- Gary & DianeSpecial Features:
- Delicious, home-style foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/14/2013Delicious, home-style food in a very relaxed family feeling establishment. Everything we ordered was delicious...especially the veal stew and the polenta with meat ragout. We are short to a average in height, and it was uncomfortable to be seated on the high tables with high chairs, as beautiful as they were, our legs were dangling.Special Features: