Border Grill - Santa Monica
1445 4th St.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Border Grill - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bordergrill.com/
- Phone: 3104511655x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday - 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 10:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 10:00a.m. to 3 p.m. (in addition to Lunch menu)
Monday through Thursday - 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday - 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Saturday - 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Sunday - 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Monday thru Friday - 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday and Saturday - 9 p.m. to close
Sunday - all day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef/Owners: Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, Bravo's "Top Chef Masters" and Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales”, have been entertaining guests for more than 25 years at their popular, critically-acclaimed restaurants. Now you can bring their unique style and expertise to your next event.
Choose from a mix of modern, bold flavors with menus from Border Grill and Border Grill Truck, as well as the cosmopolitan flavors of Mary Sue and Susan’s first restaurant CITY.
Call today for an unforgettable party! 213.486.5171
- Private Party Facilities: Throw your party at Border Grill Santa Monica! Border Grill was designed with parties in mind so we offer flexible options!
Upstairs Private Party Room: Sit-down dining for up to 43 guests, cocktail parties for 50, or boardroom style meetings for 25.
Main Dining Room: Dining for 150 seated or 200 for a cocktail party with tray-passed hors d'oeuvres and food stations.
The Whole Enchilada: Have the entire place for up to 300 friends!
Call today for an unforgettable party! 310.451.1655
- Private Party Contact: Kim Gile 3104511655x
- Special Events: For special event details on everything from cooking classes to margarita tasting dinners, go to www.bordergrill.com.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: SELF PARKING: Parking structure #5 is directly across the street from the restaurant on 4th St. The cost is a $3 flat rate after 6:00 p.m.
VALET PARKING: United Valet Parking Service is located at Grisby’s Santa Monica Automotive Service, 401 Broadway, Santa Monica, CA 90401. It is on the corner of 4th St. and Broadway two doors down from Border Grill. The cost is $8.
A word from Border Grill - Santa Monica
Enjoy upscale, modern Mexican food in a vibrant setting at Border Grill, the hip, urban cantina from Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales”. Presenting the bold foods and flavors of Mexico, Border Grill has established a new standard for gourmet Mexican fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Border Grill - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (32)great for brunch (22)hot spot (19)special occasion (18)great for lunch (17)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (9)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DisappointingRegularDined on 10/15/2014Not worth going to. Food is forgettable. Don't spend time or money here.
- Good Margaritas. Interesting menu.SMWillDined on 9/16/2014The Cadillac Margarita is much better than the syrupy version sold at most restaurants in this price range. Salsas are fresh. Menu includes dishes from South America - - not just the usual Tex-Mex. Try the moqueca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service - Incredible FoodFromagerVIPDined on 9/12/2014Tonight I dined on the Queso Fundido and the Mahi Mahi Veracruz. The QF was okay. I found it somehow lacking in cheese, and overly heavy on chorizo. Because of this, we decided to share the Veracruz, which was SPECTACULAR! The fish was incredibly fresh, the sauce light and full flavored. Absolutely memorable!!!! Something worthy of considerable mention was the quality of the service. We felt pampered from the minute we entered until the moment we said our goodbyes. I've been in the restaurant business for 35 years, and I can count the times I received service this fine on one hand. The server was attentive and knowledgeable, really at the top of her game. I left a 25% gratuity.Special Features:
- Still Good after all these yearsRebelDined on 9/11/2014I've been a regular customer of the Border Grill way back when it was on Melrose - I've been a fan of Susan and Mary Sue's other restaurants and truly miss City Restaurant from way back when. But I can always count on the Border Grill - never have had a bad meal, best margaritas in town. I especially love the Grilled Turkey steak which is a holdout from City (thank you very much). I've never been disappointed in either the one in Santa Monica or downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Border Grill delivers the goodsJazzmanDined on 8/30/2014This was our second time dining here and it was every bit as enjoyable as the first time. We brought an out-or-town friend for his first visit and he concurred. If there was a downside to the experience it was the high tab. With 2 drinks each and one appetizer between us, we were a bit shocked by the bill of $170 but of course we ordered what we wanted and were just not used to paying that much in a "Mexican" restaurant. Not to worry, though, it was that much better than your standard Mexican fare. We will be back!Special Features:
- CoastinghighlandsteveDined on 8/30/2014We've eaten here before and were eager to come back upon a long-delayed trip to Santa Monica. Despite the "Two Hot Tamales" pedigree, there's little evidence of their inspiration left in the kitchen. Nothing was bad, but nothing was ooh-ahh either. It may be a cut above generic Mexican food dumbed down for American tastes, but I was expecting to be a little more dazzled than I was. For example, I made it through my $23 Yucatan pork OK, but it was easy to forget about it five minutes later. Plus: friendly service, kid-friendly and decent if somewhat overpriced cocktails.Special Features:
- Food was okay; service was slowSouthpas61VIPDined on 8/25/2014The best thing about this place is that there was availability and it's directly across the street from the public parking garage. Other than that, the food was passable and the service was slow so don't expect a quick lunch. Bus boy provided probably the best service.
- Even better with age....Easyguy711Dined on 8/24/2014I've been following the Border Grill since Melrose a million years ago. The "Hot Tamales" are better than ever. It started out excellent and has gotten better over the years. It is often not given the recognition it deserves. This was my first time for brunch. The quality of the ingredients and the proper handling and balance of the food is inspiring. They have taken Latin cuisine to new heights while being true to it's roots and not "California-izing" or fusing it. The unlimited small plates were excellent. The server steered us right. We enjoyed the plates that involved eggs the most. The room design and oversized art is the coolest of any restaurant I've been to. The value was there for sure. Go. It won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tha bomb dot com!BrownhornetDined on 8/22/2014A great place to eat I reccomend the Yucatan pork and the guacho steak! Yum.. don't get caught sleeping on this place. Border grill is the real deal! Enjoy! CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/17/2014Brunch service is slow, so do not come super hungry.Special Features:
- loved itsavoryDined on 8/5/2014Food was great, we are vegetarians and there was a a good selection and they were very accommodating to our wishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, not great for groupsnoneDined on 7/30/2014Food was good. Not great for groups. We made reservation for 8, confirmed by phone and were on time. Plenty of room in dining room, yet hostess picked least desirable section to pull two tables together to keep a corridor of empty tables between us and the rest of the dinners, away from light, but plenty close to the noise of the kitchen. Plenty of room in dining room when we left, so it wasn't that the better situated tables were taken.Special Features:
- adventurousguestDined on 7/22/2014dineLA menu offered tasty items to choose from, some new & not on the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineLA 2014Luv2eatDined on 7/19/2014I came with a group of friends and ordered of the DineLA menu. I was impressed as they has many tasty options. The Border Grill empanadas and tamale were very tasty. The Sateed shrimp was a bit too lemony, but edible.My favorite part was dessert, Choco tacos are a must! service was great! Our waiter was very attentive and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious spot every timePcgrieco13Dined on 7/19/2014Everytime we go to Border Grille, it's awesome! Delicious food, friendly staff and never disappoints. Love the turkey dinner, and the taco's! So good. And try the jalapeno margaritas! Yum.Special Features:
- Great Food- Time For A UpdatemsohnenVIPDined on 7/19/2014So, Let me start by saying that I ate at Border Grill when they were on Melrose...a long time ago. I have returned over the years and always felt that the food was really good. I have also followed the two Chef Owners as well and have always admired their accomplishments. I went to the Border Grill in Santa Monica this last weekend. I found the food to be as I remembered it...very good. Having said that, I don't think I will go back. It does not happen to me very often, but I felt like taking a shower when I got home. The restaurant is in need of a fresh coat of paint, and more importantly...a deep clean. Simply said, I felt that it was quite dirty.Special Features:
- Border Grill - good diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014Enjoyed the food and bar. We met an friend from out of town and it was well worth the dining. My wife and I had some drinks at the bar before he arrived and the margaritas were very good. One complaint when my wife ordered a 2nd drink and it took so long we had to cancel it when our friend arrived. Once we sat down, the service was enjoyable. Place is a little loud, but not so bad we couldn't talk. Overall thumbs up for the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experiencecc1983VIPDined on 7/17/2014Food was very unique, but worth it. Pork belly was delicious, and came with fried plantains and rice, and was well seasoned. Friends of mine at the table had the burger which made me jealous. Very nice experience.Special Features:
- MehcallthemlikeitastethemDined on 7/13/2014Food was only so-so. My friend's skirt steak was so over done, the edges were hard like charcoal. My food was lukewarm from sitting and mushy. Would not return. Also, over-priced for what it was.
- Food2loveVIPDined on 7/12/2014Service was a stand-out! Both the host and our waiter, John, went out out of their way to accomodate.
- A must for GF food lovershapychpyDined on 7/12/2014As one who enjoys ALL Mexican food - from cheap taco's to high end cuisine, this is my absolute favorite "must have" when we visit Santa Monica! I have to eat GF and was impressed an delighted by their extensive menu choices.Special Features:
- sheebaDined on 7/6/2014would not recommend this restaurant. it was recommended from our hotel looking for authentic upscale mexican. food was very sub par. i ordered a pork dish that was basically inedible. wait service however was very attentive and friendly
- Love the food!McgeekDined on 7/6/2014Great tacos and guacamole! The house margarita was amazing as well! Would love to come here again!Special Features:
- Great Brunch!curlycherylDined on 7/6/2014Our service was wonderful and I love that you can order as many dishes as you want from the brunch menu. The dishes are small so if you don't like what you ordered you can order again! The menu is unique and my party had fun trying and sharing many wonderful dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!laj623Dined on 6/29/2014Being from the east coast, it can be difficult to find great Mexican food. The Border Grill exceeded my wildest expectations. While not exactly cheap, I was so impressed by the menu, the happy hour deals and even the complementary chips and salsa. The poblano quesadilla appetizer was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. Our server was extremely friendly and the atmosphere was welcoming. I would come here again and recommend it to anybody without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodECLenDined on 6/26/2014Went for an early dinner on a Thursday night. Service was friendly, attentive w/out being overbearing (I hate when servers come by a lot and ask if everything's ok). I am not a foodie, all I know is the dishes we had were delicious with interesting flavors and a laid back, comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- DisappointingKimberlyNYCDined on 6/25/2014This is the first negative review I've taken the time to write. Nothing horrible happened, per se, but overall, it was a disappointing experience. We were entertaining colleagues, who are locals of the area. I'd heard great things and was familiar with the chefs/owners, so had high expectations. The ambience felt a bit dated, from the dirty carpet and painted furniture to tableware. Service was OK but confusing. We were waited on by 3 different people throughout a 90-minute dinner. Seemed to be a lack of awareness; i.e. asking for food orders when drinks hadn't arrived yet. Food was mediocre - mine came out room temp. Resembled cuisine any other Mexican chain restaurant could offer. I was embarrassed, having made the reservation.Special Features:
- The following 1114 reviews are from the Border Grill - Santa Monica reviews archive.
- Top favorite in Los Angeles!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2014Food is unlike you will find anywhere else. An all you can eat brunch of unlimited small pllates of their unique food (and I wouldn't call them small plates..the portions are sizeable) for $30 is an unheard of bargain with $10 bottomless mimosas. When a restaurant can elevate an artfully served plate of green and white rice and black beans to 5 star presentation and melt in your mouth taste, it is definitely a foodie find. The plantains are HIGHLY recommended.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014The food was not as flavorful as I thought it was going to be. The tables were sticky and the floor was dirty. Would not visit again.
- Great Service / Quiet RoomMaryDined on 6/15/2014They gave us a quiet room upstairs where we had elderly family members who appreciated the quiet. They catered to our every need and we had the place to ourselves with a chance to enjoy each other completely it was very nice!Special Features:
- Good food but loudSarahgDined on 6/15/2014Food is good but was served cold. Loud music is a problem. If you actually want to have a conversation while eating, don't go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST in Santa MonicaEColeDined on 6/14/2014If you're not eating at The Border Grill, you're wrong. This is, by far, my favorite Mexican restaurant in California, and one of the only things I'll make the drive from OC to Santa Monica for. The Red Chilequiles are AMAZING, and the steak was, quite possibly, the best I've ever had. The pomegranate margarita is fantastic. Go. Eat, drink, and have a blast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Really GoodJamboVIPDined on 6/14/2014Coming from San Diego - I think our local taco shops (. . . . Bertos) are the gold standard for mexican food north of the border, but for something a bit more refined, without getting overly sophisticated, this is the spot. Great flavors, especially the steak and carnitas. Great margies too.Special Features:
- ToniDined on 6/10/2014very noisy a bit too loud had to raise voices to be heardSpecial Features:
- Dee-lish!Texastraveler1Dined on 6/10/2014Great food, great prices. Our waiter suggested the special sampler plate which allowed us to have three different entrees. This was great since I was having trouble selecting which one to order!Special Features:
- Good food, excellent serviceNomnomDined on 6/7/2014Food was great. Service was excellent. Have been here a few times and never had a bad meal. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Very good Tacos and Chips. The margarita was not so goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Sunday BrunchjoehDined on 6/2/2014Unlimited small plates on Sunday for $30/person. Food was better than average mexican. Service was attentive
- Festive and Fun BrunchDiscerningdinnerVIPDined on 6/1/2014Having so many choices, and being able to try so many wonderful dishes, each served on a small plate in small quantities made brunch very fun. Add that the food was tasty, each dish having distinct flavors, and it made for a festive day of food tasting. The Oaxacan Pancakes, the Yucatan Eggs Benedict Slider, Grilled Fish Taco, and the Baja Ceviche Tostadita were our favorites. And yes, we ate all that and more because each item is a couple of bites and we shared. Although we each had to have our own order of Oaxacan Pancakes!Special Features:
- The excellent Border GrillbirthdaygalsDined on 5/30/2014I had never eaten at Border Grill before. On this particular occasion I was with a colleague and we were having dinner before attending a local theatre event in the area. The food was delicious and fresh, the service was excellent and our waiter made great recommendations. The house staff was also attentive and made sure that we were well taken care of!Special Features: