Border Grill - Downtown LA
445 S. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Border Grill - Downtown LA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bordergrill.com/
- Phone: 2134865171
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday - 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sunday through Thursday - 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Friday and Saturday - 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Monday through Friday - 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday - 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday – 3 p.m. to close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alex Moreno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Border Grill Catering
We’ll bring the party to you! Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger have been entertaining guests for more than 20 years at their popular and critically-acclaimed restaurants. Now you can bring their unique style to your next event.
Choose from an eclectic mix of flavors from the whole world with menus from Border Grill, as well as Mary Sue and Susan’s past restaurants City and Ciudad.
Call today for an unforgettable party! 213.486.5171
- Private Party Facilities: Throw your party at Border Grill DTLA! Border Grill was designed with parties in mind so we offer flexible options! Fountain Courtyard: Fabulous for parties of 50 to 75 guests. Bar/Cantina: Dining for parties of 15 to 40 people or cocktails for 75. Semi Private Dining Room: Seats up to 40 people. Private Meeting Room: Accommodates 45 people, A/V amenities available. Main Dining Room: Dining for 175. The Whole Enchilada: The entire restaurant accommodates 250 for sit-down dining or 400 for a cocktail party with tray-passed hors d'oeuvres and food stations. Outdoor Plaza: The neighboring Union Bank Plaza accommodates up to 1,000. Call today for an unforgettable party!
- Private Party Contact: Amber Craig 2134865171x
- Special Events: For special event details on everything from cooking classes to margarita dinners, go to www.bordergrill.com or sign up for the newsletter by going to http://marysueandsusan.com/newsletter.htm.
- Cross Street: 5th St.
- Public Transit: 7th & Metro Station
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: LUNCH: Self park available in Union Bank garage, Monday - Friday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., first 3 hours for $3 w/ validation.
DINNER: Self park available in Union Bank garage, $5 w/ validation from 4 p.m. to 12 midnight.
FREE SHUTTLE: To Disney Concert Hall, Music Center, and Staples/Nokia, Tuesday - Saturday evenings.
A word from Border Grill - Downtown LA
Enjoy upscale, modern Mexican food in a vibrant setting at Border Grill, the hip, urban cantina from Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales”. Presenting the bold foods and flavors of Mexico, Border Grill has established a new standard for gourmet Mexican fare. With a menu of complex authentic dishes based on the home cooking of Oaxaca and the Yucatan, Border Grill takes Mexican food to a whole new level!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Border Grill - Downtown LA - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Border Grill - Downtown LA reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)good for groups (42)great for outdoor dining (38)great for lunch (30)neighborhood gem (24)great for brunch (23)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (18)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (11)late-night find (6)romantic (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/26/2014I've eaten at Border Grill, Santa Monica, many times over the years. I was quite disappointed with the food here except for the tamales.Special Features:
- amazing!cinnamonDined on 8/24/2014We went to Border Grill because I'd heard great things about their brunch. It was everything I'd hoped for and then some -- everything tasted fantastic, the waiter was attentive, and the bottomless mimosas really were bottomless.Special Features:
- Better than the last timePointhoarderVIPDined on 8/24/2014The last time we ate here for the small dish Sunday brunch, several of the egg dishes came out cold. We waited four months and came back and didn't have any complaints. Great variety of items. Worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and DeliciousHappyDinerDined on 8/21/2014We went to the Border Grill after attending the matinee at the Ahmansen Theater. We ended up walking there, and taking their complementary shuttle back to the theater parking lot. Our experience at The Border grill was wonderful. We tried several of the small bites from the Happy Hour menu - they were delicious! The fish tacos, the brisket taquitos, the guacamole, the ceviche - were all good. The nachos were not as great, but the chicken we added was grilled to perfection. The service was excellent - our waitress and others made our experience really fun. It was my birthday and everyone created a special atmosphere - and brought us a complementary dessert complete with candle. We had a great time!Special Features:
- still great after all these yrslocovorelovingDined on 8/15/2014excellent food outstanding service very good value. the amuse bouche a little bite was excellent the entress including the slow simmered pork was good we tried many appetizers all excellent. just don't overeat those perfectly cooked chips as you need to save room for all the wonderful and generous courses.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureFoodieFunDined on 8/14/2014My sister & I love to meet at Border Grill Downtown for dinner before watching a play at the Mark Taper Forum. The food is fabulous! When you arrive, ask the waitress to reserve the free shuttle to take you to the Music Center. We usually order from the Happy Hour menu which has a great selection of tasty morsels and drinks. Everything is delicious and all the wait staff are wonderful! I'm not exaggerating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Border thrilled.Jjll51Dined on 8/13/2014Chad was fantastic. The amuse-bouche of a duck confit fritter was transcendent. Try the ceviche duo, you'll thank me. Also, there's a cute girl who works in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit was great!!StevenDined on 8/6/2014We found Border Grill as one of the local restaurants that help cater to theatre patrons. Not only was the food very good, but we found the service staff engaging and very helpful. In fact, after parking, we were a little disoriented and the head chef, Mike, helped us by taking us through the kitchen and into the restaurant!! It was very cool.....we were greeted nicely once we arrived and were seated immediately. The Music Center shuttle was on-time and got us there on time.....and took us back to where we parked after the show was done. All in all, it was a wonderful experience. We'll go back.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before or after theater gemfoodie4everDined on 8/3/2014Early dinner at Border Grill last Sunday after the Cal Phil matinee concert at Disney Hall. Their Sunday small plates menu at $5 per plate, or unlimited small plates for $25 per person was a great bargain. Braised shortribs on mashed potatoes, grilled mahi mahi tacos, spicy lamb meatballs, roasted shrimp on polenta and greens, steak tacos and wild mushroom quesadillas were among the varied and creative choices. A dessert plate, shared by the table, completed the meal. Great flavors and eyecatching presentation made this a great place for theater dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumVirgoDined on 7/31/2014Border Grill food is always wonderful and delicious. Service, very professional and caring. I love the patio on a summer evening.Special Features:
- Loved it, will be backsavagejimVIPDined on 7/27/2014We went on a Sunday night, which is "small plate" night, great way to try a sampling of everything. Service was great, great food!Special Features:
- did not eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Went to restaurant before show. We were told that it would take longer than 45 minutes to get a meal which would impact us getting a shuttle to show. The hostess suggested the bar menu, we looked at it and decided it wasn't what we wanted. They validated and we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went hard!Odaliz1VIPDined on 7/24/2014Border Grill never fails! Their Happy Hour and staff is great from start to finish! The only request would be for the restaurant evening hours to be extended. For those of us that love to quench our thirst, 9:00pm is far too early. Until next time!Special Features:
- Great!erikDined on 7/20/2014Absolutely perfect service and fantastic food. First time having the small plates menu and was really impressed! Great value compared to many other small-plates or tapas style meals. My whole family left flu, happy, and impressed. Have been to the Santa Monica, Las Vegas, and now downtown Los Angeles location. All are great and unique in their own way. This location is quieter than the others, but the service and food were just as excellent. Best guacamole in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayLBmamaDined on 7/19/2014For what I paid, I was not impressed. My meat was very fatty, some may like that, but not me. By the time I picked all the fat off, I was left with very little meat. Kid steak tacos were good. Nacho appetizer was covered in some weird cheese that left every single chip soggy. Chips on table were very delicious and obviously homemade--would have loved some salt, but there was none on the table. I grew up with a grandmother who made fresh tortillas every day and authentic Mexican food. This food was mediocre in my opinion.Special Features:
- MeeksDined on 7/18/2014There for dineLA. Good food but too rich for the chocolate desert. Service could have been better.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/15/2014From the food to the service - everything was more than what I expected. The food was full of flavor and the portions were huge. The service - our waitress Jessie was wonderful and sweet. The place wasn't very crowded when we were dining so it was kind of nice and quiet. The space between tables are far - that way you don't hear other people's conversation and they don't hear yours. the restaurant was clean and spacious. Pretty much just about everything was beyond what I expected. Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Great BirthdayCoastalCarolDined on 7/12/2014Wonderful food and a great waiter (Jermaine). He suggested several things I never would have thought of. The small plates were lots of fun to try all kinds of things with no huge commitment.Special Features:
- Great Dining Spot before theaterSueBDined on 7/11/2014The Border Grill is a great and delicious spot to dine before going to the theater. A wonderful that included fish tacos and a perfect margarita. The restaurant also took us to the Music Center and picked us about after the play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chefs know what to do with peppers!ninny13Dined on 7/7/2014Best enchilada sauce I have ever had! This is certainly not your run-of-the-mill Mexican restaurant. The chef(s) have really made an effort to maximize flavor on every dish, using some unusual ingredients. Downtown LA location was in walking distance from the Omni Hotel (though walking around Bunker Hill was rather confusing with all the pedestrian walkways, escalators,etc.) Outdoor dining was fun and surprisingly quiet. We were there on a Sunday night, but my guess is this place is much more crowded on weekdays at lunchtime considering the downtown location.Special Features:
- We're not in Vegas anymoredisappointeddinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Border Grill is my favorite restaurant in Vegas because of the ambiance and the food is always over-the-top good, especially for a GF vegetarian. I live in LA but, for some reason, had never gone here even though we used to go when it was Ciudad. Such a bummer! The black bean soup was tasteless and the chilaquiles were a joke! One half cup (if that) of squash is not enough to call the sopping wet mess of chips chilaquiles. I wanted rice and beans because my husband's looked good and it was dry and old. More disappointed I could not have been. The patio is very "big city" so maybe the food tastes better out there? I thought the mojitos would help but who makes mojitos warm? Not the refreshing drink you look forward to on a warm summer night.Special Features:
- ARodVIPDined on 7/1/2014The staff could not have been lovelier and the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Stumbed but ApologizedWrongPlaceTimeDined on 6/29/2014They stumbled with the reservation and numerous other accommodations. However, the next day I received a call from the manager, very apologetic. So this may have just been a bad day for the Border Grill. I don't think my experience is indicative of them overall.Special Features:
- Casual formal ambience works.TryItOnceDined on 6/28/2014Loved your 3 kinds of salsa dips and the paper thin chips. Your special of the day and the entrées are very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeeDeeDined on 6/28/2014The food is tasty & unique; the cocktail selections are a twist on standards. Very convienent for getting to the music center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty drinks!GeraminaDined on 6/28/2014We really enjoyed our sangria and pineapple margarita. They had pure and clean flavors. The braised pork enchiladas were melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Our server was very friendly and helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysmerpDined on 6/28/2014I think that border grill has the best brunch in Downtown LA! Staff is extremely nice!Special Features:
- Delicious!DeeDeeDined on 6/22/2014We arrived on Sunday Evening in time for Happy Hour. The $3.00 taco were soooo delicious and the drinks were good too. I am definitely going to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still thirsty!FurballDined on 6/21/2014Being a long-time Border Grill fan, I was disappointed in the food last night. My dining companions and I all found the foods excessively salty. The recipes were very good, otherwise, and out waitress was very friendly and provided excellent service. The drinks (ours were non-alcoholic) were excellent. So please, BG, lighten up on the salt shaker!Special Features:
- blondieDined on 6/20/2014my chili relleno was cold. I sent it back to heat it up. It came back cold. I gave up. I would probably not go back.
- Great expectations butLooking4gudfudDined on 6/18/2014I had high hopes and an appetite. I love a good bar and service. Bartender barely acknowledge me and friend. Cucumber jalapeño Mag incredibly disappointing. Bartender never checked back. We went into dinner and I have never been so rushed for service. Server was nice but kept pressing us for our orders. Let me enjoy. We did not order appetizers or dessert because of it. Chairs are really hard maybe he was doing us favor. It is a good location to meet. I had the Guadalajara special. Nice fish and sauce but that was it and did not remind me of home.
- pac28VIPDined on 6/16/2014Chicken Poblano Mushroom Enchiladas, were awesome. Had Green corn tamales, very good too, on the sweet side, would order as a side instead of an appetizer.
- Stay Away on SundayDonnaDined on 6/15/2014I have been to Border Grill many times ...that statement speaks for itself. Unfortunately, for our party of six I had never been on Sunday. The Sunday menu is horrid. Lots and lots of carbs, extremely slow food arrival, ridiculous small plates, served family style with poorly presented food that was for the most part inedible. Never again. If you are looking for a Sunday brunch downtown LA there are numerous options so so so much better than Sunday brunch at Border Grill. Tony, the manager, did try to compensate. But really, what is the point of heaping even more inedible food at the customer? Still...he tried.
- Birthday LunchWeezieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Great food, but it was too noisy to have a conversation without practically yelling at each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnWillreturnDined on 6/5/2014Excellent as always. The crab cake special was delicious. I wish an order of guacamole consisted only of guacamole -- two thirds of the plate consisted of chopped salad.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/3/2014Food was good as always, the service was adequate, but not anticipatory of needs. A bit on the slow side due to some large parties on the patio. Our table of two was clearly not a priority
- Innovative menu, fun atmosphereGailDined on 6/1/2014We have eaten at all The Border Grill restaurants over the years. Each one has been consistently good whenever we go. Sunday's small plate menu is fun & tasty with lots of variety. We highly recommend eating at The Border Grill at whichever location you choose.Special Features:
- Fun way to celebrate a birthdaysgray98Dined on 5/31/2014six of us went for dinner after a Disney Hall matinee on Saturday. It was a friend's birthday. Food was terrific, service terrific, the patio is lovely. Definitely a great place to come for any occasion.Special Features:
- Not run of the mill cusine!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/28/2014Out in LA for a nice meal before we went to the theater- Border Grill was fantastic! Juan, our server was knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the menu. We had the wild mushroom quesadilla, ENCHILADAS DE COSTILLAS (braised short rib enchiladas) and CHICKEN POBLANO ENCHILADAS. All of our items were "share worthy" and the aroma from the short ribs was amazing. We also love our Margaritas which were perfect and not too sweet! Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Border GrillMojitos14Dined on 5/28/2014We work nearby, this place is great for special occasions for groups. This time we went to celebrate a coworker's birthday. We've been going their for years for lunch. Love the virgin mojitos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.