Border Grill - Downtown LA
445 S. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Border Grill - Downtown LA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bordergrill.com/
- Phone: (213) 486-5171
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday - 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sunday through Thursday - 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Friday and Saturday - 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Monday through Friday - 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday - 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday – 3 p.m. to close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Michelle Lainez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Border Grill Catering
We’ll bring the party to you! Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger have been entertaining guests for more than 20 years at their popular and critically-acclaimed restaurants. Now you can bring their unique style to your next event.
Choose from an eclectic mix of flavors from the whole world with menus from Border Grill, as well as Mary Sue and Susan’s past restaurants City and Ciudad.
Call today for an unforgettable party! 213.486.5171
- Private Party Facilities: Throw your party at Border Grill DTLA! Border Grill was designed with parties in mind so we offer flexible options! Fountain Courtyard: Fabulous for parties of 50 to 75 guests. Bar/Cantina: Dining for parties of 15 to 40 people or cocktails for 75. Semi Private Dining Room: Seats up to 40 people. Private Meeting Room: Accommodates 45 people, A/V amenities available. Main Dining Room: Dining for 175. The Whole Enchilada: The entire restaurant accommodates 250 for sit-down dining or 400 for a cocktail party with tray-passed hors d'oeuvres and food stations. Outdoor Plaza: The neighboring Union Bank Plaza accommodates up to 1,000. Call today for an unforgettable party!
- Private Party Contact: Amber Craig 2134865171x
- Special Events: For special event details on everything from cooking classes to margarita dinners, go to www.bordergrill.com or sign up for the newsletter by going to http://marysueandsusan.com/newsletter.htm.
- Cross Street: 5th St.
- Public Transit: 7th & Metro Station
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: LUNCH: Self park available in Union Bank garage, Monday - Friday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., first 3 hours for $3 w/ validation.
DINNER: Self park available in Union Bank garage, $5 w/ validation from 4 p.m. to 12 midnight.
FREE SHUTTLE: To Disney Concert Hall, Music Center, and Staples/Nokia, Tuesday - Saturday evenings.
A word from Border Grill - Downtown LA
Enjoy upscale, modern Mexican food in a vibrant setting at Border Grill, the hip, urban cantina from Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales”. Presenting the bold foods and flavors of Mexico, Border Grill has established a new standard for gourmet Mexican fare. With a menu of complex authentic dishes based on the home cooking of Oaxaca and the Yucatan, Border Grill takes Mexican food to a whole new level!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Border Grill - Downtown LA reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)great for lunch (27)good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (23)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (12)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)romantic (4)Show More
- My Birthday at Border Grill Downtown LAMarkBVIPDined on 11/15/2014Celebrating my birthday with my family. Everything and everyone was so nice. Food and drinks cannot be beat--highest quality food prepared uniquely. Guacamole & ceviches were great starters, followed by fish tacos, potato tacos and short rib enchiladas (mmm!) that I kept eating after I was already stuffed because they were so good. Desserts (flan & mini-churros) were also great (and comped for my birthday)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday disappointmentSamPetersOnTheTownVIPDined on 11/9/2014Big fan of the Border Grills and all their restaurants. This Sunday's visit was the first major disappointment. Lax service, cold food -- definitely not handled with the care given in Santa Monica and Las Vegas. Better luck next time...
- service was a little off tonightRHgalDined on 11/7/2014Long time Border Grill patron and I would definitely recommend BG as one of my favorite restaurants. This last visit I found the immediacy of my waiter a bit delayed. Perhaps he had too much on his plate( pun sort of intended), but there was a delay in receiving the basics, ie water, chips and salsa, first drink order, etc. Fortunately, my first time guest was a pleasant conversationalist.Special Features:
- Great food and service!KittyConDinerDined on 11/1/2014We arrived a few minutes late for our 7:30 reservation. We were greeted warmly and seated immediately. The host brought us water and right behind him was the server to start us with drinks. We both had the special Pineapple Vanilla margarita. It was delicious. The bus person brought us fresh warm chips with 3 different salsas. All three of the salsas were fresh and amazing. We emptied the dishes while we were waiting for our food and someone was right there to offer us more. We started with the Quinoa Fritters. DELICIOUS! Next I had the Carne Asada Tacos and my friend had the Crispy Razas Tacos. So good!!! For dessert we had the Churro Tots and the Caramel tart. What a great dinner! Everything was perfect!Special Features:
- Delicious!MitziDined on 11/1/2014We dined at Border Grill Saturday evening before attending Trip to Bountiful at the Ahmanson. (They offer complementary shuttle service to the venue). The food was fresh and yummy, and sustainable, which I love. The service was attentive, professional and friendly. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunchlilicedtDined on 11/1/2014$29.99 AYCE brunch and $10 bottomless mimoas in all flavors. Our server was AMAZING and let us try all the mimosa flavors. Also ordered little treats for us (ceviche, tots) while we were waiting for our bigger orders to come through. It was seamless and wonderful. The food was excellent and delicious.Special Features:
- Slow Birthday at BGMartaVIPDined on 10/26/2014We enjoyed a long evening for my birthday, never rushed through our Cava and green corn tamales. We finally ordered starters and entrees, and lingered, savoring every bite of tortilla soup, salad, chile rellenos and short rib enchiladas. Sounds old school, but everything was perfectly updated, delicious, beautifully prepared and plated. Tres Leches cake (with a hint of espresso!) and good strong coffee topped off the leisurely evening. BG is everything I want in an upscale place, MINUS any snobbiness or pretension. The best!Special Features:
- Dinner with MomwannaeatDined on 10/26/2014I have heard many good things about the chefs that started this eatery. My mom needed a break, so I sold her on the fact to go to LA proper and have fantastic Mexican dinner at Border Grill. I had been excited as the founder/chefs I have seen on Top Chef Masters and the like. So a culinary trip we expected to have... unfortunately it was not to be. (My grand mother must have been flipping in her Mexican seaside grave.) In a word the joint was far below expectations. The food was fair... I really want to forward flattering feedback but I need to be honest,Special Features:
- DisappointingFamilyFriendlyFoodieDined on 10/25/2014Hadn't been here for a number of years. Remember it being so much better. Felt like they were relying on their name/reputation. Food was fair, entrees were not warm when arrived at table. Service was minimal and forgot one entree for table altogether. The manager comp'd the meal, but didn't feel like they really cared.Special Features:
- Noisy but great foodSoozeeQDined on 10/16/2014Went there with my brother and his wife before going to the Ahmanson Theater. It is one of the more reasonably priced restaurants in downtown LA, and the food is terrific. The chips that came with the trio of salsas were still hot and fresh. We all had tacos of various kinds, and all were very interesting. We knew from visits there before that it would be noisy....especially in the lively bar. One of the best things about Border Grill is the free shuttle to the Music Center and also the $5 parking with validation.....an amazing bargain for downtown LA.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2014We ate early to catch the symphony, not crowded, excellent attention from staff. For a relatively low cost meal, food was excellent, ambiance charming -- for foodies, food is probably good to very good. Much to our surprise and gratitude, they provided shuttle to and from Music Center and Disney Hall. Parking is in building with a generous validation -- we paid $5.00 for 4 hours +.Special Features:
- Great spot for happy hourGretchenDined on 10/9/2014Border grill is a fun spot. My sister and I ate there before attending a play at the ahmanson theatre. The food was great and flavorful and our service was wonderful from the time we walked j to the door to leaving. Great margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the downtown drivefoodiegirlDined on 10/8/2014We happened to be staying at the Westin right across the street, but I'd say this is worth a drive. Portions were good, not too big, but worth the price. We had our baby in a stroller and they were very accommodating and didn't request that we leave the stroller somewhere else. Really good take on what I might call Mexican fusion. The only missteps were the merengue in the dessert was too hard to really eat.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurantnewbyDined on 9/21/2014If you want small portions this is the place to go especially on a Sunday. One can feast on a variety of items from the menu and have an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!happyDined on 9/16/2014One diner from Mexico said it was the best Mexican food she had ever had in LA. We had a great dinner, sampling the appetizers (plantain empanadas, quinoa fritters, green corn tamales), incredible entrees (Yucatan pork, shrimp tacos and other dishes). I bring people here on a regular basis because it is our "go to" place near USC.Special Features:
- AtmosphereFred41VIPDined on 9/15/2014Lacks the atmosphere of the Santa Monica restaurant
- Salty to a ridiculous levelPasadenaeaterDined on 9/14/2014Had the small plates dinner. I know that salty food helps to sell drinks, but holy moly! Dessert was good, but you know you're in trouble when the French fries and tortilla chips are by far the least salty part of dinner.
- Great Lunchjkl2014VIPDined on 9/10/2014With the new restaurants opening, I had not been to Border Grill in at least a year. The lunch menu was fantastic, no longer serving heavy food more appropriate for dinner. The taco plates were perfect and the apptizers all were good. Am so glad I went back.
- Tuesday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014Ceviche Duo was delicious. Friends had lamb and beef tacos and loved them. Friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/26/2014I've eaten at Border Grill, Santa Monica, many times over the years. I was quite disappointed with the food here except for the tamales.Special Features:
- amazing!cinnamonDined on 8/24/2014We went to Border Grill because I'd heard great things about their brunch. It was everything I'd hoped for and then some -- everything tasted fantastic, the waiter was attentive, and the bottomless mimosas really were bottomless.Special Features:
- Better than the last timePointhoarderVIPDined on 8/24/2014The last time we ate here for the small dish Sunday brunch, several of the egg dishes came out cold. We waited four months and came back and didn't have any complaints. Great variety of items. Worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and DeliciousHappyDinerDined on 8/21/2014We went to the Border Grill after attending the matinee at the Ahmansen Theater. We ended up walking there, and taking their complementary shuttle back to the theater parking lot. Our experience at The Border grill was wonderful. We tried several of the small bites from the Happy Hour menu - they were delicious! The fish tacos, the brisket taquitos, the guacamole, the ceviche - were all good. The nachos were not as great, but the chicken we added was grilled to perfection. The service was excellent - our waitress and others made our experience really fun. It was my birthday and everyone created a special atmosphere - and brought us a complementary dessert complete with candle. We had a great time!Special Features:
- still great after all these yrslocovorelovingDined on 8/15/2014excellent food outstanding service very good value. the amuse bouche a little bite was excellent the entress including the slow simmered pork was good we tried many appetizers all excellent. just don't overeat those perfectly cooked chips as you need to save room for all the wonderful and generous courses.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureFoodieFunDined on 8/14/2014My sister & I love to meet at Border Grill Downtown for dinner before watching a play at the Mark Taper Forum. The food is fabulous! When you arrive, ask the waitress to reserve the free shuttle to take you to the Music Center. We usually order from the Happy Hour menu which has a great selection of tasty morsels and drinks. Everything is delicious and all the wait staff are wonderful! I'm not exaggerating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Border thrilled.Jjll51Dined on 8/13/2014Chad was fantastic. The amuse-bouche of a duck confit fritter was transcendent. Try the ceviche duo, you'll thank me. Also, there's a cute girl who works in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit was great!!StevenDined on 8/6/2014We found Border Grill as one of the local restaurants that help cater to theatre patrons. Not only was the food very good, but we found the service staff engaging and very helpful. In fact, after parking, we were a little disoriented and the head chef, Mike, helped us by taking us through the kitchen and into the restaurant!! It was very cool.....we were greeted nicely once we arrived and were seated immediately. The Music Center shuttle was on-time and got us there on time.....and took us back to where we parked after the show was done. All in all, it was a wonderful experience. We'll go back.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before or after theater gemfoodie4everDined on 8/3/2014Early dinner at Border Grill last Sunday after the Cal Phil matinee concert at Disney Hall. Their Sunday small plates menu at $5 per plate, or unlimited small plates for $25 per person was a great bargain. Braised shortribs on mashed potatoes, grilled mahi mahi tacos, spicy lamb meatballs, roasted shrimp on polenta and greens, steak tacos and wild mushroom quesadillas were among the varied and creative choices. A dessert plate, shared by the table, completed the meal. Great flavors and eyecatching presentation made this a great place for theater dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumVirgoDined on 7/31/2014Border Grill food is always wonderful and delicious. Service, very professional and caring. I love the patio on a summer evening.Special Features:
- The following 1179 reviews are from the Border Grill - Downtown LA reviews archive.
- Loved it, will be backsavagejimVIPDined on 7/27/2014We went on a Sunday night, which is "small plate" night, great way to try a sampling of everything. Service was great, great food!Special Features:
- did not eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Went to restaurant before show. We were told that it would take longer than 45 minutes to get a meal which would impact us getting a shuttle to show. The hostess suggested the bar menu, we looked at it and decided it wasn't what we wanted. They validated and we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went hard!Odaliz1VIPDined on 7/24/2014Border Grill never fails! Their Happy Hour and staff is great from start to finish! The only request would be for the restaurant evening hours to be extended. For those of us that love to quench our thirst, 9:00pm is far too early. Until next time!Special Features:
- Great!erikDined on 7/20/2014Absolutely perfect service and fantastic food. First time having the small plates menu and was really impressed! Great value compared to many other small-plates or tapas style meals. My whole family left flu, happy, and impressed. Have been to the Santa Monica, Las Vegas, and now downtown Los Angeles location. All are great and unique in their own way. This location is quieter than the others, but the service and food were just as excellent. Best guacamole in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayLBmamaDined on 7/19/2014For what I paid, I was not impressed. My meat was very fatty, some may like that, but not me. By the time I picked all the fat off, I was left with very little meat. Kid steak tacos were good. Nacho appetizer was covered in some weird cheese that left every single chip soggy. Chips on table were very delicious and obviously homemade--would have loved some salt, but there was none on the table. I grew up with a grandmother who made fresh tortillas every day and authentic Mexican food. This food was mediocre in my opinion.Special Features:
- MeeksDined on 7/18/2014There for dineLA. Good food but too rich for the chocolate desert. Service could have been better.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/15/2014From the food to the service - everything was more than what I expected. The food was full of flavor and the portions were huge. The service - our waitress Jessie was wonderful and sweet. The place wasn't very crowded when we were dining so it was kind of nice and quiet. The space between tables are far - that way you don't hear other people's conversation and they don't hear yours. the restaurant was clean and spacious. Pretty much just about everything was beyond what I expected. Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Great BirthdayCoastalCarolDined on 7/12/2014Wonderful food and a great waiter (Jermaine). He suggested several things I never would have thought of. The small plates were lots of fun to try all kinds of things with no huge commitment.Special Features:
- Great Dining Spot before theaterSueBDined on 7/11/2014The Border Grill is a great and delicious spot to dine before going to the theater. A wonderful that included fish tacos and a perfect margarita. The restaurant also took us to the Music Center and picked us about after the play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chefs know what to do with peppers!ninny13Dined on 7/7/2014Best enchilada sauce I have ever had! This is certainly not your run-of-the-mill Mexican restaurant. The chef(s) have really made an effort to maximize flavor on every dish, using some unusual ingredients. Downtown LA location was in walking distance from the Omni Hotel (though walking around Bunker Hill was rather confusing with all the pedestrian walkways, escalators,etc.) Outdoor dining was fun and surprisingly quiet. We were there on a Sunday night, but my guess is this place is much more crowded on weekdays at lunchtime considering the downtown location.Special Features:
- We're not in Vegas anymoredisappointeddinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Border Grill is my favorite restaurant in Vegas because of the ambiance and the food is always over-the-top good, especially for a GF vegetarian. I live in LA but, for some reason, had never gone here even though we used to go when it was Ciudad. Such a bummer! The black bean soup was tasteless and the chilaquiles were a joke! One half cup (if that) of squash is not enough to call the sopping wet mess of chips chilaquiles. I wanted rice and beans because my husband's looked good and it was dry and old. More disappointed I could not have been. The patio is very "big city" so maybe the food tastes better out there? I thought the mojitos would help but who makes mojitos warm? Not the refreshing drink you look forward to on a warm summer night.Special Features: