7217 E 1st St.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bootleggersaz.com/
- Phone: 4804049984
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: James Fox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offsite catering available for all occasions!!!
- Private Party Facilities: We are equipped to handle any private or corporate party needs including A/V and sound ability.
- Private Party Contact: Josh Wesley 4804049984x
A word from Bootleggers Scottsdale
Bootleggers offers an extensive menu of upscale comfort food with an award-winning BBQ program. We also feature the Valley's only Moonshine list. We are under the stewardship of well-known Chef/Restaurateur Matt Carter, of Zinc Bistro, Mission and House Brasserie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bootleggers Scottsdale reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)special occasion (2)Show More
- Bachelor party reviewLovebeerDined on 7/19/2014I had a good time here for the start to my bachelor party. The Beer selection is amazing, The bootlegger burger is awesome, and the 3 moonshines we got are perfect. The scene is awesome to have a small dinner party because it isn't to loud and you can hear everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apple Pie MoonshineDebbieDined on 7/4/2014The flight of Moonshine choices was a great way to try 3! Apple Pie moonshine was by far the best and so smooth going down! The 4 of us had the beef brisket, links, and shredded pork. The beef brisket was quite fatty but the other entree's were very good. The bacon board and nacho's for appetizers were a hit! Neat presentation for both. I believe this restaurant is now in the old Pischky's Paradise location for those of you who have lived here for 25+ years! Such a new and different dinner place for Scottsdale. Service was wonderful!Special Features:
- DrDanDined on 6/22/2014This was our first time eating at Bootleggers. It was my Daughter's 18th Birthday and she picked a winner to visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lackinglovegoodfoodDined on 6/16/2014Nachos on happy hour menu was expected, but menu had changed dropping our favorite. Pulled pork was extremely greasy, grilled cauliflower was not evenly covered with onions and cheese. Brisket greasy and a lot of fat not seen previously. Water had a strange taste. Only the server was a pleasant experience, friendly and helpful
- Food OK, great service!azgyrlDined on 6/15/2014The food was just OK...I've had better BBQ and more of it for a better price. For the portions it was a bit overpriced. Also, the kids meal did not mention that there was Dijon Mustard dressing on the sliders. We had to send the kids' meals back, although they did comp us for them. We were also told that the beef brisket portion was enough to share, but it was not. On the positive side, the service was excellent, the cold slaw amazingly good, and the home made tortillas excellent as well.Special Features:
- Over priced foodweluvtoeatDined on 6/7/2014While the food was appealing on the menu, it was way overpriced for the paltry amount you received. Mac & cheese for $4 or $8 the higher priced portion was certainly NOT $8 worth. The sides were not what any of our party were expecting and not as tasty as we hoped for. The BBC was tasty but for the amount of money we spent, Dave ' s BBC is a much better deal and their sides taste great.
- SmokedScottydaleDined on 6/6/2014Good solid BBQ in Scottsdale, not easy to find great BBQ in area....if you are a bacon lover I would suggest the Bacon Plate - It will knock your socks off!!! Great service and Great food - will be back again soon - PORK FAT RULES!!!!Special Features:
- Great Old Town restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014Fantastic food and drinks. Service was exceptional.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/29/2014We had three in our party. Two shared the BBQ sampler plate and I had the ½ rack of ribs. They also gave us a taste of their Apple Moonshine. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was tasty. We will go back.Special Features:
- Won't Rush BackKittyVIPDined on 5/26/2014The great part is the burgers and BBQ are excellent. Buttt, the service was soo awfully slow, it ruined the experience. Also, the chips with the burger were stale. AND they didn't have the first entree choice at all (ahi tuna slider) OR the beer desired (mere Corona lite!). Not a good start to the meal. Bottom line: Try another place first....
- vegetarian-baneOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2014Excited to finally get a taste of Bootleggers after hearing so much! I was surprised at the lack of people in Scottsdale at 6pm on a Tuesday night for Restaurant week. Our server was attentive and made good suggestions. Bacon Board was a must and the flavors and combinations were tasty and whet our appetite for what was to come. The true appetizer wonder was the Nacho Flat though. That could have been dinner - amazing tender brisket and refreshing avocado. I sense happy hours in the future. Sampler plate seemed the best place to start. Rib was tender and succulent, bbq pork and brisket were moist and flavorful but I really enjoyed the smoked turkey most of all. Cobbler and Cherry Pie Shake were ok but not really needed. A must try!Special Features:
- Appetizers Amazing!MizBDined on 5/17/2014Loved the Bacon Board, Nachos and Shrimp/Grits during Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerBigLDined on 5/10/2014Bootleggers was a great find, read about it in Phoenix magazine. The food was great flavor a different,I had the short rib and it was one if the best I have had in the valley! Great ambience pleasantly different than the Scottsdale norm, loved the orange chairs at the dining tables and the mixture of booths, tables and half booths makes for intimate seating for all size. A little dark at the table( for reading menus) for the baby boomer but the iPhone light app is helpful. Our wait person was upbeat, knowledgable and very attentive. Special treat was getting to say hello to a past co-worker GM Josh Wesley!!!! A great time was had by all in our party of 4:we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Bootleggers Scottsdale reviews archive.
- some carnivores and a vegetarianmy3kinderVIPDined on 4/25/2014I picked this restaurant for 2 reasons 1) my dad is total carnivore (even though I myself am a vegetarian), and 2) I had heard some great reviews!! I was pleasantly surprised to see that they offered several yummy looking salads, and even ahi tuna burgers ( i do indulge in fish from time to time) my dad and step mom both had the rack of ribs and both raved about them. everyone was in love with the coleslaw!! arguably the best coleslaw we have ever had! I also sipped on the apple pie moonshine, which was very sweet and didn't taste like it had any alcohol it in whatsoever!! (dangerous stuff lol!) All in all, we all decided we would definitely go again!! good job!Special Features:
- Phenomenal bbqrnk1Dined on 4/19/2014A friend and I had a splendid time dining at this venue, we were seated as we walked in and were served immediately. The staff was informative and made great suggestions, including getting the bacon board for appetizers, which was wonderful followed by the sampler. Definitely recommending this venue and looking forward to making this my usual spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good mealscottsdaledinerVIPDined on 4/12/2014I had 6 people and was concerned about getting into a downtown Scottsdale restaurant during high season. I was able to make a reservation at Bootleggers and we were seated promptly. The pacing of the service and the service itself was very good. The food was good, but not great. Appetizers were very good and a nice size for sharing. My praise is not so high on the main dinners. I had a steak sandwich special that was touted as excellent, but I would rate it average at best. My fellow diners felt the same about their choices. A good but not great place to go for a bite to eat when spending the evening in downtown Scottsdale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family get togetherAlbinopeacockgirlDined on 4/5/2014We decided to meet at Bootleggers in Scottsdale because it was centrally located & in a nice neighborhood. We did valet parking ($5) because we couldn't find public parking nearby. Much easier solution that we wouldn't hesitate to use again. Booth for 6 people was built for 10 & very comfortable. The bacon board is a must. We all had something different from the menu & no complaints at all. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Average Old Town restaurantFinedining63Dined on 3/29/2014Decor is nice but food not so much. Mac and cheese was runny and had no taste. The coleslaw was not good Ribs were great but don't have them put sauce on them. Music way too loud.
- Had a family gathering forRickDined on 3/29/2014Had a family gathering for my wife's birthday. Shared a Bacon Board that was enjoyed by all. Great Barbecue selection. Pork Tenderloin, Brisket, Ribs were especially good. The outdoor patio seated a large group. She was tested like royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What was that about?BMJ799Dined on 3/28/2014We don't know if it was that it was a slow Friday night, or because it was a table of minorities, but it seemed like the waitstaff were overly concerned with the status of their dishes, napkins and tableware. We could hardly eat or pause for conversation without someone coming by trying to clear our plates and glasses. The mac & cheese was so/so. The bacon board was very tasty. One person had the kale salad, VERY yummy. The Apple Pie Moonshine was tasty and definitely would have gone well with some ice cream. Over all it wasn't a bad experience, luckily we had a lot of laughs about the waitstaff behavior, but it did make us go, hmmm.... Lastly, they didn't have our OpenTable reservation in their system.Special Features:
- This is the only BBQ placeRickDined on 3/22/2014This is the only BBQ place in the Scottsdale area. The menu was very limited (we were very surprised that an advertised BBQ place didn't serve BBQ chicken). The food was OK, portions were moderate size. The prices were high for the food served. If one truly wants BBQ, they were be better served searching other restaurants in the Phoenix area.
- BarbecueMKMNVIPDined on 3/21/2014We had the variety plate, which included brisket, turkey, pork, sausage, and ribs. They told us that the meat was slow-cooked for 14 hours. As a result we expected very tender meat, but were very disappointed. The meat was tough and there was way too much thick, syrupy sauce on it for our taste.
- Nothing Special but priceyAZBoizDined on 3/19/2014Drinks had a very little alcohol, the BBQ ribs were dry and the sauce had very little taste. The turkey leg was delicious as was the Mac n cheese. The desert (blueberry peach crumble) had very little taste. Overall, not worth the money. It was 7:00 pm and there were only 2 other occupied tables in the place. While it wasn't bad, there are too many other awesome dining options in Scottsdale to waste our time going back.
- Met expectation.Famof4Dined on 3/17/2014Enjoyed the food; good flavor and combination. Rock shrimp starter was excellent! Decent prices. Service was commendable. Orange seats too narrow for avg/athletic build, but option to sit on booth compensates for most tables.Special Features:
- What a discoveryMBfamilyDined on 3/16/2014We have a group of eight that spends four days in Scottsdale for spring training. We happened upon the Booteggers because we needed a reservation for eight which was a bit hard to find. Upon arriving we found out they were only open three months. They do real BBQ in a big slow smoker, as attested to by our own expert. The food and service was very good, even though they might have not staffed for the crowd they had. We were impressed and plan to go back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/16/2014We were pleasantly surprised. We didn't expect the food to be as good as it was. This restaurant is not your run of the mill BBQ place. The food was delicious ---just enough bbq on the food. We had the pork which was very tender and the brisket also tender and both very well seasoned with a sauce that was not from a bottle. The service was excellent. The waitress was very knowledgeable. We had a shrimp appetizer that we so good I could have ordered 2 more dishes of it and would have enjoyed it for my entree.Special Features:
- Old Scottsdale BBQ GemCBACDined on 3/15/2014We had a great all round experience! Our server (wish I remembered her name) was great. She recommended the Bacon Board to start and it was amazing. We all enjoyed our entrees and sides. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scottsdale MitchJSMAZVIPDined on 3/3/2014If you haven't experienced this new Old Town Scottsdale gem, you need to! Incredible food, beverages, staff, and ambiance makes for a true Win-Win restaurant experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bar B Que with a twistmediamixDined on 2/22/2014The short back ribs were WONDERFUL. Tried the Moonshine and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bootleggersannazVIPDined on 2/22/2014Food was very good. Restaurant was just too noisy, loud to carry on any decent conversation. In future i'd order to go food!
- Customers first-not!PickyDined on 2/21/2014The food at Bootleggers is very good, but the service was terrible. The young man who was our waiter was very inexperienced. I had made reservations for 7 and when we walked in the door, no hostess, just the bartender who said to sit wherever we wanted. No table had been prepared for us. The music was quite loud and difficult to carry on a conversation in a normal tone. The appetizer we chose "homemade chips and dip" was not available; however all the sandwiches came with the chips. The waiter was inattentive at best. Now the food was excellent so I'm sorry that I don't think this place will make it when there are too many good restaurants in Old Town.
- Old Town Gem!JSMAZVIPDined on 2/15/2014Fantastic barbeque, service, ambiance, and craft beer selections...plus a tremendous Scottsdale Old Town area location with easy parking behind the restaurant. The staff was professional, courteous, friendly, and truly a joy to deal with! A MUST for any restaurant foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Sue987654Dined on 2/14/2014Just really yummy food, great bar, great service, and the parking was easy!!!Special Features:
- Only if you really like baconBBQFanVIPDined on 2/9/2014We were very excited to try this new BBQ place in Scottsdale. We had heard very good comments about the "Bacon Board", which was really incredible. Everything else was inedible. Ribs were overcooked and tough, turkey was bland, and everything was swimming in an overly sweet sauce. Service was spotty but friendly. Country songs at full volume, which is not my cup of tea.
- My husband and I stumbledWmgldgVIPDined on 2/1/2014My husband and I stumbled across this when visiting Scottsdale and we are SO glad we did. We had a great experience. Service was friendly and attentive. Food was FANTASTIC. We split a Caesar salad, which I recommend doing as the salad was huge! We also shared our entrees. I got the brisket and he got the smoked turkey.. It was hard to figure out which was better, they were both so tasty. The cauliflower steak was also note worthy. I had never had it prepared that way and it was delicious. Dessert sounded good, but we were too full! Please make reservations though so you won't be disappointed. It is a hoppin' place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and MissSundayDinerDined on 1/19/2014I have dined at Bootleggers three times now and the best I can say is the experience has been mixed. The draft beer menu in no way reflects the craft beer that is actually available. After three tries, I am still clueless as to the draft beers actually available. One member of our party ordered cottage fries that were clearly left from some previous day, hard and cold. Other members of our party shared a side order of the cottage fries which were prepared fresh and so the difference was clearly seen at the table. The fish sandwich ordered was overly salty. The BBQ sampler platter was missing the sausage element. Finally, BBQ places should not have basic wine choices for $13 a pop. I will try one more time because other dishes are good.
- BBQ is really good. PortionsLovesFoodVIPDined on 1/17/2014BBQ is really good. Portions are nice size (big). Good menu items to pick fromSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BBQ I'm used too.PaulieWalnutsDined on 1/17/2014I just prefer more of a competition style BBQ where I can taste the flavor of the smoke in the meat. Not BBQ slathered in so much sauce you can't taste just the flavor of the meat. I'd probably return to the restraint again for the bacon board and the cobbler again. And also to try some more cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/10/2014We had a 7:30pm reservation and finally received our (cold) food at 9:00pm. No acknowledgement nor apology from management. Really, really poor service.
- It's all about the baconComidaLocaDined on 1/10/2014I basically picked this restaurant because of the bacon board and it didn't disappoint. Six different delicious options served with spreads and bread to cut the salt. The BBQ sample was just ok and the drinks were not anything to write home about. Bigger disappointment was the service. Our server seemed to be amused by making us guess about the menu and was generally disengaged. If you can sit in restaurant not bar half of space, might get better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.