Bookers BBQ + Crab Shack
316 3 St SE
Calgary, AB T2G 2S4Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: CAN$30 and under
Bookers BBQ + Crab Shack
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bookersbbq.com/
- Phone: (403) 264-6419
- Hours of Operation:
Mon – Thurs open from 11:30 am to 11:00 pm
Fri open from 11:30 am to 1:00 am (food served until 10:30 pm)
Sat open from 5:00 pm to 1:00 am (food served until 10:30 pm)
Sun open from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Myles Learning
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Carolyn Stephure 403-705-0577x
- Entertainment: Live local bands Friday and Saturday nights starting at 9pm. No cover charge.
- Special Events: Live Music Saturday nights. All-You-Can-Eat Crab on Sunday and Monday evenings. All-you-can-eat ribs Monday evenings.
A word from Bookers BBQ + Crab Shack
Established in 1998 in a century-old brick warehouse, Bookers is a hidden gem at the gateway to Calgary's East Village. Our seasoned BBQ chefs slow-smoke over 200 lbs of Alberta chicken, beef, and pork every day and serve it up along with fresh seafood, local produce, and original rubs and sauces. With daily features, weekly specials, and live music on weekends, we offer authentic Southern hospitality and a comfortable, upbeat dining and drinking experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bookers BBQ + Crab Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (51)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (21)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (15)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Crab ShackmushroomsDined on 11/16/2014Great food and great service, if you enjoy the Cajun crab shack style dinning. I have gone a few times for their Sunday/Monday all you can eat special. Great times and they deliver what they offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Place was really great and the food was delectable to the palate! I truly enjoyed the atmosphere, decor and food. The only drawback was the noise and as a hard of hearing person, I had to focus on listening to my hearing friends. I'll come back to Booker's during quiet times so I can make the most of my dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalkirDined on 11/16/2014This was my first time to Bookers and I booked a reservation in advance for a special occassion. We were seated upstairs where it was extremely cold - so much so that I was uncomfortable. We were advised by the server that the smoker had broken so there were no ribs. I asked if the price for the all you can eat crab and ribs was less since ribs were not available and was told flat out NO. When the food came we did not receive any crackers for the crab. I asked if we could get some and was simply told "they are in the wash". I advised it was a little difficult to eat the crab without the crackers. Also, we were only given one butter dish for the 3 of us as they also were "in the wash". The all you can eat crab is fine if you have all night to wait for your waitress. Unfortunately since the service was poor we did not get our share of the "all you can eat". We asked for water twice and never did receive it. All in all I will not be back and will be sure to tell everyone I know about the horrible service I received there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I was upset when I order the bucket of crab legs and I only got TWO legs for $28.00. For that much money and to receive only two legs I dont think I or my party of 7 people will be coming back.
- Crab fansGend77Dined on 11/14/2014I go there for the crab. $18/pound. It's a fun place and the ambiance is good. I love how the bar is setup. The thing I don't like is the high tables by the bar; if you go there with a friend they make you sit side by side, which is a little awkward. Besides that, I would recommend to all my friends. Not much parking either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKathyODined on 11/13/2014We were celebrating two birthdays in a group of five and were crammed into a small table. As a result a butter warmer got knocked over barely missing a guests trousers. No attempt to wipe it up was offered by a server. The service was extremely slow - even having to call for our bill. We were warned that the fried pickles would be very hot - instead they were cold inside. The whole experience was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceJaxxDined on 11/10/2014Our waitress forgot many things we had ordered and looked very confused every time we asked her a question. Had to ask for a glass of water 5 times. Food was good, however the Catfish was very small and looked very disappointing compare to many of the other dishes we ordered (there was 6 of us).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dashanceDined on 11/9/2014It's been a super looong time since I went for a crab dinner , not to mention all-I-can eats. It was awesome!!! REally missed the fact that my water was served in a Rogue glass, a beer which was no longer served,... but for which is easily my most favourite! You goin' to bring it back perchance?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014I try to make it every week for Crab night. I Never ate seafood in my life and came here with relatives who visited Calgary. I have made it my go to restaurant of choice in the city. Great service and good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceCurtixManDined on 11/9/2014We have been to Boookers many times for all you can eat crab and ribs and every time we come we invite friends. Occasionally the service can be a little lacking as it can be very busy with people trying to get w bargain. This time out server Tasha was top shelf. Fully attentive and constantly there when we needed her for a drink or a crab/rib refill. I would go back either way but more servers like Tasha sure won't hurt Bookers. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time I see the sign . . .carpedogDined on 11/9/2014at the 4th Street flyover I make a mental note that I should try out Bookers. From the outside it looks delightfully grotty, like you would see in Louisiana. Finally, after 20 years of mental notes, we went and it was great. Not grotty at all but with just the right amount of exposed brick and iron (I think it's an old warehouse). We, of course, had the all-you-can eat crab and ribs. You can't get good dry-rub barbeque (which is perfectly done) like this anywhere else in Calgary. the only negatives were that the corn bread was a bit burnt and the portion small. And, although I dislike servers who hover, the staff could have been just a bit more attentive. so: food great, service okay, experience still terrific. Oh, and bring wetnaps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Saturday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014We thought we'd grab an early and quick bite with the kids in tow, so Booker's should have fit the bill. We were seated at our table for at least ten minutes until someone came over to ask if anyone had served us - who then walked away because she wasn't out server. Just didn't set the night off on a positive tone. The food was very good, if a little expensive side(including a rib and pulled pork platter), but the beer was warm and the service was slow and relatively mediocre. There's Nothing to bring me back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed with foodspartacatVIPDined on 11/4/2014We hadn't been to Booker's in years and tried it out again the other night. We were quite unimpressed with the food which we found to be quite tasteless. The crab cake appie was mediocre at best. I ordered the catfish entree and got a little slab of fish with a bit of seasoning, yam fries and corn on the cob on the side. My yam fries tasted like they were sitting too close to a cleaner when they were getting put on the plate, and happened to pick up remnant from that cleaner - it was fowl. My husband ordered the ribs which he said were very good. His mac and cheese side though was tasteless. You would get more taste from making pasta mixed with cheese whiz. We would not go back based on the food experience alone.
- Unlimited Crab at BookersallihiDined on 11/3/2014As per usual the food at Bookers was unbelievable. My two friends and I had unlimited Crab and Ribs. They kept the crab coming and it was amazing. Unfortunately our service left a little to be desired. I can't even count how many times we had to ask for more water and butter. As a frequent diner at Bookers, I would still 100% recommend it. Usually the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bookers Sunday NightShlinkDined on 11/2/2014All you can eat crab and ribs for $42 a person. The food was outstanding and our waitress was outstanding.Special Features:
- Bookers Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014The all you can eat Crab & Ribs on Sunday night not worth it if you have a small appetite, and they will only order one at a time so you either order ribs or crab first then they will order the other once you have started eating the first. You would be better off ordering a meal with two sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bbq???FoodieDined on 10/30/2014Worst BBQ I've ever had. The price value does not match the quality of the food at all. You guys should try seasoning your meat so that it taste like something. I ordered the bbq beef ribs which was 2 big Slabs of fat.
- ExcellentPickyFoodyDined on 10/30/2014Had a Birtday Dinner Party. The food and service was very good. I placed the reservation on line and Bookers were fast to respond. I am so impressed with them. The resturant is clean and comfortable. I had told my friends about Bookers and they will give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great crab, sevice wasn't the bestWranglerDined on 10/26/2014After enjoying some great beers on tap we ordered the all you can eat crab and ribs. The wait time for our crab was way to long as other tables that say around us had theirs much sooner. This continued for 9 buckets but was a server issues. Other then that great experience and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All you can eat.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The food was good. Ribs fabulous. Only complaint was a bit of a wait sometimes for the all you can eat crab and ribs to arrive as we competed with two large tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ribs or crab legs?AlwayseatingoutDined on 10/26/2014Then this place is for you on Sundays and Mondays they have unlimited king crab legs and ribs for a reason price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok scene but wouldn't go again.BigmoDined on 10/25/2014Went to bookers excited for some BBQ and crab but found it to be way over prices for what you get. Ordered a King crab dinner and got 4 legs for $50??? Big rip off, side weren't that great either. Maybe better to go in a all you can eat night. Left hungry and wouldn't recommend to friends unless maybe all you can eat night. Atmosphere was good for drinks but for a dinner go elsewhere.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Our first experience with Bookers. It was amazing. The food was delicious, the service phenomenal. We cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- datenightdinerDatenightdiningDined on 10/24/2014we were looking forward to this Cajun restaurant, but were disappointed with the noise level and the slow service. The food was good however. The parking was not. We likely will not be back.
- Has potentialBBQChrisDined on 10/21/2014Great atmosphere while the hockey game was on many of the big screen tv's. I ordered an Old Fashoned Whiskey and the cup was overflowing with ice machine ice and quickly watered down the drink taking away all the flavour. For dinner I had ribs and crab legs. The ribs were mushy and overcooked (almost like they were boiled) but had a nice smokey flavour. There was no other real flavour until I covered them in what I think was BBQ sauce. (None of the three bottles were labeled at the table) The grab legs were lacking in the meat department and were also very mushy. The cornbread and Jalapeño Mac and Cheese were delishious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!CrabloverDined on 10/19/2014I've been there twice for all you can eat crab. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Not only a great price, considering it's snow crab, but the quality was pretty good too. Hot, quick refills without having to ask. Only complaint would be that it would've been nice to see more of our server for beverage refills but it's a busy place, so wasn't that offended, hence the 4 star rating for that particular element.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Second time to Bookers and it was just as great as the first. Was my hubbies first time there ... he loved it. The sports bar feel with the old warehouse atmosphere is great. He is a crab lover and was not disappointrd. The food was fantastic, love the pick 2 combos ...lets you savour more options. Look forward to our next trip to Calgary so we can come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Very sad they were out of brisket at 7:00 (odd as it is a main feature) other food was still good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a book...GottaEatWellDined on 10/13/2014Really good BBQ in a really unassuming location. Nothing special from the outside but if you can find the door it gets much better inside. As soon as you walk in you can smell the BBQ. Lots of TV's for both Monday night football and baseball playoffs with comfortable and casual surroundings. Beer selection was good with some Calgary brews on tap but the food was the star of the night. I'm sure it's not the same as southern BBQ but I thought it was pretty good for Calgary. The brisket ends and wings were great appetizers. The ribs weren't your usual sauce smothered type (which I like by the way!) but smoked and rubbed with some great tasting spices. Other great bites at our table was the brisket, a huge Caesar salad and a seafood platter.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed our dinner.BadFoodDined on 10/10/2014Upon first arriving at the Crab Shack I chose to go inside to confirm it was kid friendly. It struck me as more of a bar than a restaraunt. The inside was the same. But Kidd friendly it is. It was very busy. The servic suffered slightly but not to the point that I minded. It was also very loud. I'm not a "bar person" so this was a little out of my comfort zone. The food was worth the inconveniences. The brisket appetizer was simply the best beer dish I have ever tried. The crab meal was also excellent. My kids enjoyed watching NASCAR on the screen. I will definitely return at least once more. I need to try the Brisket dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FirstOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014What an atmosphere for our first snow crab experience. We will be back and bring friends.Special Features:
- MehNotthistineDined on 10/5/2014The waitress ladies are great at there job and try their best to make you happy... But te all you can eat grab and ribs... Better tell them to make sure it's hot!! Cause if not you'll get served grab that's cold and ribs that seem to be cooked in a microwaveable I sitting at a table made from an old door that flexed with food is not a good way to serve a family if 7 that we had and when asked for Another table was told non available while tables had been left empty for our entire mealsSpecial Features:
- What a shockOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Heard nothing but great things about this place.... Boy what a surprize .
- Rude manager.ZachWDined on 9/30/2014We showed up, after booking through Open Table, and the Manager said, "Your reservation didn't go through, but I guess (loud sigh) we could fit you in." He also made me print off the vouhcer I had in the office upstairs rather than accepting it from my smartphone. My fiancee was very offended and she did not feel we were all that welcome. Thankfully the food was very, very tasty and pretty quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place in East VillageglutenfreeDined on 9/26/2014Awesome food in this historic little place. Despite being a pub atmosphere, the food is awesome. A great menue selection with some unique signature items. Lots of great energy in this place. Although there were not any items labelled gluten free, there were many things I could eat. I loved the food and so did my friend and her child. The noisier atmosphere actually made it terrific for having a child with as any grumbling or crankiness didn't bother other diners. There were other children there too, so I guess they already learned that noise helps when dining out with their kidsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday OutingIgetoutoccasionallyDined on 9/26/2014Great find! Food excellent, service decent. Only knock was our servers attention was hard to get. Once you had it she was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting Hot Spotkalypso18Dined on 9/19/2014First time to Bookers and my Husband and I were celebrating out 10th wedding anniversary. The service was EXCELLENT but I wish we had not been seated in a booth in view of the kitchen. I would have rather been able to enjoy the scene in the restaurant. Food was great except we did not expect the salt and pepper wings to be spicy.Special Features:
- Good value for your dollarFrecklesDined on 9/19/2014Disappointment that crab is not available for Groupon deals (not listed on terms and conditions). However, the wings are great as appetizer. Burgers are just super if you are hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance!Boston09Dined on 9/16/2014Cool restaurant with great, interesting decor. Loved the tin cups with the lemonade and the table top made from an old door. Pictures were great too. Food was really really tasty, but lunch buns were too hard. Didn't eat it with my sandwich ordered, and neither did another of our party. Need to be very fresh for the ultimate dining experience. Restaurant was out of a certain Ceasar drink that we wanted to order. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Slow service and sub par foodCalgaryDinerDined on 9/13/2014Our first and last experience at Bookers. It took 10 minutes to order a drink and another for it come out. Food was just as slow, sat for over an hour for our food.Special Features: