287 Exeter Road
Hampton, NH 03842Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bonta.net/
- Phone: 6039297972x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday and Saturday Lunch 11:00 am
Tuesday - Saturday 4PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bonta hosts both luncheon and dinner events at the restaurant. The Private Tuscan Dining Room is available for your special event or corporate function. The Tuscan Room will comfortably seat 42 for an elegant sit down dinner or up to 55 for a cocktail party. The entire restaurant can also be booked for larger events of up to 180 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Holly Sault 6039297972x
A word from Bonta
As the Seacoast's premier Italian restaurant, Bonta excels in quality food, impeccable service and an unmatched ambiance. From a specialty martini at the mahogany bar to dinner in the private dining room, the setting is perfect for any night out or special occasion. The fresh seasonal food is prepared simply but elegantly allowing a unique signature to be placed on every dish. We pride ourselves on our house made pastas, breads, desserts, gelatos,sorbets, cheeses and meats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bonta - Best Restaurants in Hampton ›
Bonta reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (10)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (6)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/3/2014when we arrived the restaurant was closed and gone out of business in mid June. We were very surprised why we had not heard from Open table about this. Apparently it had been sold in early June and closed around the 13th of June. We would have thought that Open table would know this and let us know in advance. so the both Open table and the Restaurant get a zero
- Bonta...good but closing...PatBDined on 6/13/2014We have had several great dinners at Bonta. it's a shame that it's closing/purchased by new owners. They have a lot to live up to,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- going out of businessSaarlanderFoodieDined on 6/7/2014Staff was just informed that Bonta's sold and their last day would be next Sat. It showed. Missing bread plates. Wine came w/ no drip cloth, they were out of Salmon, one of the few items on the menu. This was at 7pm. The table next to us, seated at 7:30 was not able to choose 3 entrees listed on the menu, leaving for a very limited selection. Paid $11 for 5 very small oysters that lacked any flavor. Ordered the Mosel Riesling. Rec'd a Finger Lakes Riesling (only one Riesling listed on the wine menu). The wine was fine, but the server had no idea what we were talking about when we pointed out the discrepancy. New owners are supposed to take the summer to remodel and reopen as a bistro/steakhouse in Sept., according to the staff.
- Nice spot in Southern NHScottVIPDined on 6/6/2014We have been to Bonta a few times and the food always left us disappointed. This time, the food was much better. The linguini with fresh clams was one of the best I have had. My companion had the lobster risotto and thought it needed a little more time but was tasty. Service was very friendly and accommodating, but a bit slow. The menu is eclectic and interesting but the prices are a little high for the area. We would go to Bonta again and hopefully they will work out the kinks and continue to improve.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGradmom2014Dined on 6/6/2014Eclectic decor, spacious and so inviting. The food was delicious, so fresh and left you looking forward to your next plate. Great atmosphere, friendly servers...just an overall fabulous experience! Highly recommend, will definitely be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but skip dessertVTBlueDined on 5/30/2014Strangely, the only place Bonta stumbled was dessert. The food, service, wine list and atmosphere were all quite good, but the desserts were flat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off nightsteveDined on 5/27/2014We have been here several times and the service and food were great. Unfortunately Tuesday night 5/27 must have been an off night. 7pm reservation did not have drinks til 735pm . Oh the paint party took up the bar tenders time. Out of the champagne we wanted for a birthday celebration and then the bus girl poured regular water into sparkling water so that all had to be changed out. Even though the waitress was nice it just was not a relaxing night . IT just seem no one was watching the over the staff.
- Always leave Sated and ContentWeCook2Dined on 5/21/2014Bonta is definitely my favorite local restaurant. Second is Savory Square Bistro downtown Hampton, third is Hagan's Grill. I tend to order the specials at Bonta leaning towards earthy meat dishes that are not served up elsewhere and rarely if ever at home. Over the last few years I've lucked into Lamb Osso Bucco and the other night Braised Beef Short Ribs. Bonta doesn't overdue it with the typical upscale restaurant's long list of rare ingredients and over-the-top preparation and presentation - just the right amount. The Short Ribs were beautifully prepared and presented and the first mouthful was as it should be, beefy - an edible flower was not on this plate nor should it be. Show early and spend the time in the bar. Dress up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJustmeDined on 5/17/2014I've been wanting to to Bonta for so long and finally got my husband to go and Took some friends, the food was okay, nothing special and came out warm not hot. Ordered a bottle a champagne which popped open before it got to the table so when the bottle got to the table there was a lot missing out of it. When paying over $100 for a bottle of champagne I would expect to have a full bottle. They offered nothing. I wouldn't be returning anytime:(
- Absolutely fantasticWalkswoodsDined on 5/15/2014One of the best meals I have has ever. All fresh and wonderfully combined food. Unusual and delicious.Special Features:
- Love it here!TomcherDined on 5/10/2014When an Italian tells you an Italian restaurant is wonderful, you know the food is great! The veal meatball appetizer is AMAZING! We've dined here 3 times in the past year and we have never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningdabronxDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I had been going through some uncomfortable times with work and health. Bonta was the perfect remedy for what ailed us. Great service, wonderful food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 524 reviews are from the Bonta reviews archive.
- DeLight!potionrxDined on 5/3/2014I met a colleague-friend here for dinner because it was on our travel route. What a delightful surprise. We ended up spending 3.5 hours at our table! warm, upscale chic décor, excellent wine list, and authentic Italian cuisine. The pasta was homemade, and the sauces were beautifully constructed. I would not hesitate to make this a repeat destination....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night at BontaDJL222Dined on 4/29/2014Had the special, which was a stewed pork in tomato sauce over gnocchi. It was da morire (to die for). I am told that they are going to put it on the menu permanently. My wife had a pasta with fried basil and absolutely loved it. Our guest loved the veal meatballs. Atmosphere was great - very private and elegant. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Outstanding... Food and ServiceRandBDined on 4/26/2014This was our first time visiting Bonta and found it to be quite nice. The food was delicious and the waitstaff was very attentive. We'd definitely go again! Great place for a special occasion... Not your average Italian food fare. Thank you for a nice night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MisreprsentedNinaDined on 4/20/2014When I placed the reservation there was no indication that they were servicing a limited menu. Disappointed. Inaddition, my dish was to have crab in it... which I could find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerBirthdayDined on 4/20/2014Everything was A+ !!! No lie, I love this place-food was fantastic!!!! You all HAVE to try it!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014Always a wonderful experience with great service and delicious food. Great Sunday brunch! Good decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rjhBobHDined on 4/17/2014Excellent food, service and ambiance. Quiet restaurant and easily accessible off Rte 101. We were very pleased with the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatly improved service & foodCathyVIPDined on 4/11/2014Tried Bonta again after a review in the local newspaper. Service has improved markedly (no more 'disappearing' servers - very attentive service without being intrusive. While the menu seemed smaller there is a good variety of pastas, meat and seafood dishes. Reasonably sized portions (i.e. not the 'food for 3' often found at restaurants), carefully prepared. A bit too much salt for me but my husband love the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat near PortsmouthkringleDined on 4/8/2014It was a delight to walk into such a welcoming place, both in terms of ambience and a great greeting. The food was very good. I started with fried calamari; a little tough and not well-breaded. Then clams over linguine;excellent. Bread is made on the premises; good. Finished with chocolate cake; excellent. Restaurant is just off the interstate; easy to get to. It is south of the historic town of Portsmouth but away from the hustle and and crowds of that town. This is a great place to relax and unwind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good food and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014And have vegetarian option. Nice atmosphere if you like reserved dining great for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful PlaceRickGDined on 4/5/2014This restaurant was in a very nice wooded setting. The ambience was great for a romantic dinner for two as well as for small groups. The food was wonderful and had great selections on the menu. The décor was very appealing. I will definitely return to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/5/2014European flair and comfortable for everyone. The food is fantastic. But you can read my full review in the Portsmouth Herald on Thursday, April 10 because I'm a professional!Special Features:
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014Excellent food, beautifully presented, staff welcoming, pleasant service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great foodMWMitchellDined on 3/29/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Bonta, seated before the fireplace and served by excellent, professional waitstaff. The food was tasty and well-prepared. We were not rushed to finish, but rather lingered and enjoyed our wine, appetizers, main course, and dessert - the latter being particularly beautifully presented. Because it was a special occasion, we didn't object to what seemed like high prices for the entrees. A very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming RestaurantCentralNHDined on 3/29/2014I found Bonta on a web search. The atmosphere is lovely and the staff are very friendly. The food is delicious and I was surprised to hear that they make all their pasta, bread, and dessert in-house every day. It's not your everyday type of restaurant, with higher than average prices, however you won't be disappointed. Give it try for a lovely evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYummyinmytummyDined on 3/18/2014Overall I had a great experience at Bonta. The atmosphere was very quiet and relaxed. I felt that the servers were very efficient and check up on us appropriately. We asked about the wine list and the server was very knowledgeable. I got the butternut squash soup and lobster raviolis. Both were delicious! The first glance the soup was a bit small but it is very rich so I found the size to be appropriate. The raviolis were also very good! Great place that I would definitely go to again and recommend to friends. The only think that could be improved was the bread. I loved the pita but found the bread to be a bit bland and would be better heated up a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happeneddiningoutoftenVIPDined on 3/6/2014Was once amazing - now it's just horrible. I would never be so hard but my meal was completely in edible. Server said it was chefs favorite. How scary is that.
- Great food and dessertsPnazzDined on 3/1/2014Meatball appetizer Was Delicious, Had The Chicken Parm For Main Course With The Fresh Pasta And That Was Great A Well. We AgatesSome Desserts, Peanut Butter Cookie Was Small But Amazing. My Wife Had The Duck Breast And Loved It. Would Recommend For Sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiance +mickeyDined on 2/25/2014lovely setting , fireplaces really nice. quiet, enjoyable ,delicoius gourmet food, excellent service. highly reccommend it. meatball appetizer, clalmari delicious, scallops, pork shank wonderful. sorbet my favorite dessert. we have been 3-4 times in past year. wonderful experience put it on your bucket listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestarauntOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Love Bonta, Third time there. Always have a wonderful meal, it's reasonably priced, and the atomsphere can't be beat.Special Features:
- Great atmospherenewenglanderDined on 2/22/2014What a great environment this is to have a nice dinner in an energetic environment. Bonta is elegant but not intimidating. The staff makes you feel right at home and are so great. Food was excellent. Got the meatballs as an appetizer which were amazing. Scallops fresh and yummy and pasta is so fresh and light. Plan to go back for many more special occasions!Special Features:
- Classy diningFDlovRDined on 2/14/2014We love Bonta. We used to go there often. It's not quite the same without the superb service Alec offered but it's still very nice. The food is excellent. But the personal attention and service is not quite as good. Valentines Day was nice but felt a little rushed and impersonal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and attentivelou56Dined on 2/14/2014When I booked this restaurant for Valentines Day I should have read the fine print. I was expecting my choice of the menu - I was in the mood for Italian. That evening it was a set menu - the food was very good, but I struggled to fit the option to my appetite. The soup was lukewarm and steak overcooked but they quickly fixed that. All in all I still think its a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerBruceDined on 2/11/2014First time at Bonta's our meal was excellent! Loved the linguini with clams. Our meatball appetizer was delicious. The staff was knowledgeable about the menu, friendly and helpful. The environment was relaxing,pleasant and enjoyable. We sat near the fireplace and had a romantic dinner. Will definitely go back. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DissappointingBill603VIPDined on 2/9/2014There were three other occupied tables when we arrived and it was 30 min. before Hannah took our app. order. The antipasto freddo, was the smallest antipasto and not worth the $15 price tag. We tried to order a bottle of Malbec, of which they offered three. 10 minutes later we were told they had NO Malbec in stock. We could get Malbec by the glass, but there was not enough left to pour two glasses. Lorraine accepted that but I ordered a popular 7 zins Zinfandel. 10 minutes later I was told they were also out of that Zin. They brought a bottle of 2012 Cline Zinfandel and advised it was a "far better wine than" my choice... My duck breast was very good. I was not surprised to see the $32 wine charge. It was corrected, however.Special Features:
- First visitMaisyDined on 2/8/2014But won't be my last. Very nice, warm and friendly. Good was excellent. There were 6 of us and we all felt the same way. The name is deceiving as I thought it was an Asian restauramt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect nightDennisDined on 1/31/2014Thank you again for the perfect night as always you did not dissapointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bonta the BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014Best Italian food I have had. Great atmosphere and cozy. Are waitress was awesome and staff just very nice. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.