1381 Boston Providence Hwy.
Norwood, MA 02067Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.boncaldo.com/
- Phone: 7812555800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Adam Laliberte
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: BonCaldo Catering offers our guest the opportunity to have the same hand created Italian specialties from our main menu, at the location of your choice. Our Catering Menu offers many selections which are available for both delivery & pick-up. If you are planning any affair from 2 to 300 guests, BonCaldo can accommodate your every need including set-up, servers, bartenders, rentals and more. Please call for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: The Special Event Program at BonCaldo can accommodate groups from 10 to 85 guests. BonCaldo offers both private & semi-private space for any type of event. We specialize in large group dining, providing an extensive selection of menu choices, an award winning wine list; and exceptional service and professionalism. Please contact Special Event Manager, Adam Laliberte for booking availability.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Boncaldo 7812555800
- Special Events: BonCaldo offers monthly Chef created & Chef presented Regional Wine Dinners with wine selection from their multiple award winning wine list. Reservation are required for all wine dinners.
A word from BonCaldo
We at BonCaldo feel our menu is truly unique among Italian Restaurants. This is because we are dedicated to featuring authentic offerings from all the regions of Italy. The rich aroma and flavors of authentic open wood fired grilling, fresh made pasta, and homemade desserts will make you feel as if you've not just dined out for the evening, but embarked on a voyage to Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BonCaldo reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
romantic (33)special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (21)good for groups (19)fit for foodies (18)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Old-timey, but delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014It's an odd restaurant. It seems like they have one wave of customers. So if you don't have a reservation or don't want to wait, just go a bit late around 8pm. It's pretty much cleared out by then. We've been several times over the past year and everything we've had was delicious, with one exception. There was a white fish dish that was lacking in flavor and had overly cooked and heavily oiled veggies. The sauce they give you with the bread has a freshness similar to a bruschetta. The pasta sauce has some wine undertones. The chicken and veal parm are HUGE portions. The pappardelle with truffle oil and braised short rib is amazing!Special Features:
- Easy night outhungryinnorwoodDined on 9/13/2014We came to BonCaldo after a class that we took nearby in Norwood as a group of eight. We were done early, so I called over and the host was easy about advancing out reservation nearly 1/2 hour. The table was ready when we arrived. Service was efficient and the waitress knew the menu well and was helpful with the wine. The only negative was that we were near the kitchen and it was distracting with all the servers running in and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was blaahhh..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Alfredo sauce tasted pasty and way too much. Chicken tasted rubbery. Garlic bread was good.
- Foodie disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014Hi all, I have been to this restaurant many times in the past. I love, love love their fruite de Mare, but this time it was WAY over done and everything was tough and i had several grains of sand in the muscles. The sauce was good and the gluten free pasta was so so. They need to switch from the corn based pasta to brown rice. My wife's dinner was good, however the shrimp were overdone on hers as well. Come on! Can't you do 1 shellfish right? The 5 together in Fruiti De Mare is difficult, but 1!! I am just so disappointed since it is VERY hard to find a place that actually cooks everything right for fruiti De Mare.Special Features:
- Major DisappointmentmishthedishDined on 9/12/2014I would not recommend this spot. I made a reservation for a quiet/romantic table for a birthday dinner. Instead we were put at a table for two just outside the kitchen, we were on the delivery runway. Also they carry Double Cross Vodka as a house vodka with 4 different drink options, I order a DC martini only to be told they were out of Double Cross, our other drink order was wine which they needed to go to the basement for. The one positive part of our meal was the appetizer Lobster Ravioli, that was delicious. I ordered Bolognese with Pappardelle for my dinner and the pasta looked like Lasagna cut down the middle. My fiance had the Lobster Al Forno and was just hoping for a bigger serving. One piece of advise, I would shadow new servers!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We ate in the bar, it was much nicer there than the stuffy dining room. Waiter was unprofessional and appeared to just bring the wrong food order sizes to up the bill. It was my daughters birthday, we did not want dessert but he insisted on bringing a tiramisu, which he then charged us for! Food was good but prob won't go back.
- JEMOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014The food was excellent! Service was great too! And the deserts were fabulous! Everything was homemade, and you could tell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and it was delightful!KellyDined on 9/6/2014Hi Joseph! Thank you for making this first time dining experience at BonCaldo's delightful. Kelly Glynn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyWineNDineDined on 9/5/2014There were 7 of us who went to BonCaldo. There was not one person who was overly happy with their dinner. The price was very expensive for what you get. Small portions and just okay food. I don't mind paying for an expensive dinner when the food is fabulous but this place was not!
- Excellent serviceYummyDined on 9/3/2014My food was good, but the service was better. We had an early reservation and were the only customers in the restaurant. The waitress was very caring, attentive & pleasant...unfortunately, I do not recall her name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, could use some finesseYuriyGVIPDined on 8/28/2014Overall, a surprisingly nice neighborhood Italian place! Huge menu with many great options, and really interesting wine list for those into that sort of thing. Great variety of desserts too, and great portions without intense prices! So for the most part, a great option for those in this neck of the woods! But some rough edges could be fixed. Upscale vibe is a bit lost when waiters are extremely casual and almost diner-like (although she was very nice and we liked her!). The girl who brought out the food was stone-faced, and when pouring water, grabbed the glasses by the top (I hope she had clean hands?). When wine glasses came, they were just washed and had water splashes all over the inside. Some finesse could push BonCaldo to great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightOberst2212Dined on 8/24/2014Bon caldo is now one of my favorite places. The food was excellent and the portion size was more than generous. The whole experience was a true delight. My favorite touch was the opera music playing at a very reasonable volume. It set the perfect scene for a romantic dinner. I have never been so impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit, our first timeIoneliuDined on 8/24/2014We were very impressed with the ambience, nice, cozy, Italian feel, with great music in the background. The food was delicious – you cannot go wrong when you wrap the food in Prosciuto! The pork dish Maiale was simply delicious. The salmon dish was good, too. It was not too crowded that night and the service was very efficient. We had a great time and we’ll be back soon.Special Features:
- FireplaceLindaDined on 8/19/2014The food was great with a different flare. Wait staff very attentive to our needs. A birthday to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice introduction...DiscerningDadDined on 8/16/2014The turning point of our first meal at BonCaldo came when we realized that our daughter's risotto contained pesto. and she is allergic to pine nuts. This was clearly stated on the menu, but we just missed it. Without hesitation, the waitress took the plate back to the kitchen and they re-plated the entire meal. The four of us ordered quite different selections from the large menu of options and each of us was happy with their meal. The wine was very good and sorbet and gelato brought it all to a refreshing conclusion. Our server did seem to disappear for long periods as the room emptied at the end of our meal, but she had already earned her stars with the pesto performance.
- Good Date NightScottDined on 8/9/2014Bon Caldo is the very good choice when dining out in Walpole/Norwood. I had been there once before and both times to food was very well prepared. The lighting is dim but bright enough to where you can see your surroundings. This time we had an older male waiter that had a very awkward sense of humor (made a joke about the fact that we didn't get dessert) but the quality of the food is definitely top tier for the area and we will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!PaulaCDined on 8/9/2014Love BonCaldo! Food and service is excellent!! Chicken Marsala out of this world and the scallop appetizer is to die for!Special Features:
- Inconsistent performancemadredelobolocoDined on 8/7/2014Old fashioned Italian - and their fabulous gnocchi and flavorful tomato sauces are spot on. Surprisingly good golden and red beet salad with goat cheese too. However the mussels in the appetizer with sausage and tomato sauce were old and very fishy; my adult son ate only 2 of them and told the server - they still showed up on our bill. Their lobster raviolis were chewy and non-descript. Drinks were fine but took WAY too long in coming (and without asking they substituted one drink for another - we had to send it back and again waited too long for the replacement - total of 30 minutes waiting to get our drinks). We are moving to the neighborhood; and on my birthday August 6th we had high hopes of finding a neighborhood gem. Disappointed.
- Good but not consistentcwc103Dined on 8/6/2014The presentation was magnificent; however, where were the figs stuffed w/ goat cheese described in the salad we ordered. Don't get me wrong - the salad was delicious but 3 large beet slices, many greens, with 2 giant lumps of goat cheese = not exactly what was promised. The potato crusted haddock was delicious, the rice pilaf ordinary with a nice touch of carrot pieces. The flank steak 2/ mushrooms was good but not overwhelming. The dessert sounded interesting..............yes, the few banana slices with sweet sauce was yummy, the gelato pretty good but not up to Italian standards; the phylo pastry had a strange, old oily taste/smell.............sitting around too long? We were quite glad that we paid a discount price and not full price.
- Bon Caldo does it again!delishdahliaDined on 7/31/2014As usual this restaurant lived up to our expectations. We took out a couple that had never been there before and BonCaldo did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buon Appetito!foodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meals - the Groupon was a bonus! Great spot to dine if you want to avoid the many chain restaurants on Rt. 1.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed long time dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014We have enjoyed this local restaurant for many years as our go to place for many occasions but our recent visit was not up to it's usual standards They failed to deliver 3 drinks as ordered and all of our entrees that we have enjoyed in the past were not the same and seem to be cost improved. Not likely to return.
- always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014Enjoyed a relaxed meal and very good service . The food choice was good , many items to pick from. We were not rushed and had a wonderful homemade tiramasu !! Free parking a bonus!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseGingerishDined on 7/9/2014Would not have expected such well thought and executed food right on Rte 1. Friendly, good service; wonderful wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointedBlueSky88Dined on 7/3/2014I decided to purchase a Groupon offer for this restaurant after I saw a lot of good review. I liked the ambiance, so romantic and causy, but the food; inedible! We ordered fried calamari for apetiser, it was delisious. But our entries; pasta carpadella and the viel, both inedible and expensive.Special Features:
- Poorly prepared foodYRUL84TVIPDined on 6/28/2014Some dishes were OK (e.g., calimari), the rest were poorly prepared. If the food isn't good, the overall rating must be POOR. The mixed salad was a disgrace (but not expensive, I'll give it that) the way it was assembled and appeared. Lettuce leaves had seen crisper days. The parpadelle main course was a piles of clumped noodles so dark and chewy as to be indistinguishable from the mushrooms. The short ribs in the dish barely noticeable. The sauce was like watered down canned soup with a heavy hand on truffle-flavored olive oil. The service was perfectly fine and pleasant. The other pasta dish was over sauced. A better feed is available at any Olive Garden and I don't really care for Olive Garden. Avoid!
- Wonder Find!inhigearDined on 6/25/2014Bondalco is a great place for a great meal. Romantic, quiet and great service. Joe, the owner, was great about accommodating my special requests as well as a my vegetarian date. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was deliciousBruins21Dined on 6/21/2014Only thing that was bad was that it was freezing cold and that they ran out of bread and told us that they had to run over to stop and shop to pick some up. Everything else was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014This was the third time. Mixed food reviews. My swordfish was amazing, as was our calamari appetizer however the Veal Saltimbocca was mediocre. However, our server was excellent!! Dinner the time before was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodDebbieDined on 6/20/2014We went there for the Lobster Specials. It was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and staffout2lunchDined on 6/19/2014Great and friendly service. Food was good but I have had better italian food especially for the price. Good portion sizes and very adaptable to special requests. Prices are a little high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- supOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014good dining experience.........meals were delivered timely and were good.....special requests were handled well....reservation made online w/ no glitches.... more parking out front would be nice..but plenty out backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ikeyDined on 6/17/2014I went here as I had a Phantom Gourmet gift card. I read the reviews and was excited to try it. However, I was extremely dissapointed. The service was slow, and the waiter was disinterested. The antipasto platter, had meat that looked dry, and it was covered in olive oil to moisten it. Lobster had no flavor. Pork was overdone, and we were never asked how we wanted it prepared
- Our first time hereArleneDined on 6/14/2014The food was really good and they served a large portion. The was service was ok, it seemed like if they just wanted us eat and leave. We did not feel welcome. The waiter would try to remove our plates before we were done eating and every time they would refill our glasses with water they would reach over our food without saying excuse me or even asking if we wanted more water. Although the food was delicious we will be returning.
- Consistently ExcellentTrixieDined on 6/14/2014This is my third visit to Boncaldo over the years and each time has been consistently excellent. I ordered the potato flake crusted haddock which was fresh, flaky and excellent. It was accompanied by parmigiano pesto risotto which was outstanding! My companion ordered the bolognese which was great as well. We each had the pera salad to start as well as gamberi (fire grilled tiger shrimp). Wonderful Wine list leaves a bit to be desired for the discerning palate, basic, however it was acceptable. I would visit again and again.Special Features:
- luv fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Great atmosphere - food was excellent. We were celebrating a special occasion and our experience was indeed memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinnereatingwellsince87Dined on 6/11/2014I just went to Bon Caldo earlier this week for my birthday dinner. It was a group of 10 and none of us had been there before. It was delicious! Everyone was extremely happy with their dinner choices. Bread and sauce is served as a pre-appetizer and we all shared a different dessert. None of which was less than delicious! I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- DisappointingyngproDined on 6/8/2014This has been one of my favorite restaurants for awhile, until this last time. The service and ambiance are always great, but this time the food was gross. I ordered the salmon ravioli special and it tasted like glue. The waiter did replace the dish with my "go to" the lobster ravioli and it was just edible. The drastic difference between this past time and the norm was shocking.Special Features:
- Great night outLocalserverAliDined on 6/5/2014I had a lovely dinner at Boncaldo. The calamari appetizer is out of this world-and I order calamari all the time. I had the baked haddock dinner which had a huge piece of perfectly cooked fish. The risotto was cooked to perfection, I could've done without the broccoli rabe as it was too bitter for the rest of the dish. My boyfriend got the shrimp scampi which had huge shrimp and amazing tomatoes. We ended up getting the mousse for dessert which was fantastic; my boyfriend usually doesn't like dessert but we were fighting over the last bite! Our server could use some menu refreshers but was pleasant and welcoming. It has a great atmosphere. All in all one of my best dining experiences in recent memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatoutDined on 6/5/2014service could have been a little more attentive - my veal parm was delish - wine was outstanding - my hubbys veal saltimbocca he didn't really care for - bread was great with the tomato sauce dunk - been here many times - will go back again - do recommend - must say a very clean restaurant which is unusual in a romantic setting