1381 Boston Providence Hwy.
Norwood, MA 02067Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.boncaldo.com/
- Phone: (781) 255-5800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Adam Laliberte
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: BonCaldo Catering offers our guest the opportunity to have the same hand created Italian specialties from our main menu, at the location of your choice. Our Catering Menu offers many selections which are available for both delivery & pick-up. If you are planning any affair from 2 to 300 guests, BonCaldo can accommodate your every need including set-up, servers, bartenders, rentals and more. Please call for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: The Special Event Program at BonCaldo can accommodate groups from 10 to 85 guests. BonCaldo offers both private & semi-private space for any type of event. We specialize in large group dining, providing an extensive selection of menu choices, an award winning wine list; and exceptional service and professionalism. Please contact Special Event Manager, Adam Laliberte for booking availability.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Boncaldo 7812555800
- Special Events: BonCaldo offers monthly Chef created & Chef presented Regional Wine Dinners with wine selection from their multiple award winning wine list. Reservation are required for all wine dinners.
A word from BonCaldo
We at BonCaldo feel our menu is truly unique among Italian Restaurants. This is because we are dedicated to featuring authentic offerings from all the regions of Italy. The rich aroma and flavors of authentic open wood fired grilling, fresh made pasta, and homemade desserts will make you feel as if you've not just dined out for the evening, but embarked on a voyage to Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BonCaldo reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (26)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- It's one of our faves!slowrunnerDined on 11/22/2014We love it, it's consistently good, it's been a favorite for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time there not so great.ciaobellaVIPDined on 11/18/2014They couldn't find wine we asked for so the timing of meal was off (got salad before wine etc.). Once again salad (this time mista) was all greens with one piece of tomato and cucumber. Was too big for side salad and overdressed. Entrees were very good but were barely warm. Dessert was very good but no refills offered on coffee. Next time we feel like Italian...will drive to Luciano's down the road ( much better food and service for similar price).
- Good for Gluten FreeSLW1Dined on 11/15/2014I was happy to see that there were many gluten free options on the menu. Definitely make a reservation if you plan to be there during prime time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Nite OutBabyBack2BillVIPDined on 11/15/2014Loved the apppetizers, entrees and dessert. The service as attentive but not intrusive. We had a great time!Special Features:
- FoodLoverDined on 11/14/2014As usual everything was very good. My husband had the shrimp and clam scampi were to his liking. I had lobster ravioli which were very good - 5 large raviolis. I ate three took the other two home and the heated nicely with some red sauce. It was the first time that I had something with truffles and was able to taste the truffle. We had the calamari which were done just right. The desserts are ample - Moulton lava cake and blueberry bread pudding - and were very good where very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Food was adequate at best, there was very little meat included with a heavily sauced pasta dish. Our server barely engaged with us, and we only learned about specials as we listened in to the server at the table next to us.
- Back againDiners99Dined on 11/7/2014Tis has to be my 8th or 9th time at Bon Caldo. I'll keep coming back as long as I have positive experiences. So far they've all been positive. The food is consistently good and the staff is friendly. I like the ambiance. In short, there is nothing to deter me from returning.Special Features:
- Nice place to golilpiDined on 11/7/2014BonCaldo was good. I wouldn't say it would be one of my favorites but I would probably go again.Special Features:
- Had a bad piece of vealBlarney22Dined on 11/1/2014Our experience was very good for 3 of the 4 in our party. My wife however had a veal scalloponi, of which one of the 2 pieces of veal had gone bad. Not the end of the world, this stuff happens sometimes. Our waiter compensated us with a dessert. But, I might hesitate to get veal there again. This was our 2nd visit to BonCaldo, with the first visit/meal being excellent. In spite of this issue, I would still recommend this restaurant to others.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Dined here recently. Bolognese had very little meat sauce. My husband had pork dish - a few pieces of dried up pork. Won't be returning.Special Features:
- Love this placecfoodlvrDined on 10/23/2014The food, the atmosphere and the staff are beyond excellent and it is a great romantic spot for dinner or good for a group of friends. The food is out of this world and the wine list is beyond impressive! You'll keep coming back for more!Special Features:
- FabulousLindaDined on 10/18/2014I made our reservation on open table. I requested a very quiet table as my husband is hard of hearing. I was very surprised when they have us our own private room for the six of us. It was perfect. We could not have had a better table. The food was great. I would give this rest the highest recommendationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatoutVIPDined on 10/18/2014Food was absolutely delicious - our entrees were salmon and veal parm - appetizer was mussels - extensive wine list - homemade bread nice and warm with a special tomato sauce to dunk in - everything prepared beautifully - would definitely recommend and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Special OccasionNoorwooditeDined on 10/18/2014We received 3 Gift Certificates for our Anniversary 6 months ago. We brought the whole family plus a few extra's on this past Saturday night and really enjoyed it! The food was delicious and our waitress was outstanding! Having lived in Norwood for many years, we can't believe it was the first time we had been there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Solid Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I was pleasantly surprised. I had read some less than stellar reviews on other sites. i can honestly say everything about my meal was excellent. We had reservations @ 8pm on Friday, we arrived rather early and were still seated immediately. Service was prompt, friendly and attentive. We had decided to have glasses of wine, which they offered a nice selection by the glass and bottle. We had scallops wrapped in bacon and antipasti for starters, both excellent. For dinner I had Fruitte de Mare. Excellent also. We finished up with sharing a Tiramisu, very good! Overall. Restaurant was excellent. I will definitely go back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place for a special nightMadeaterDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I decided to make our 5th wedding anniversary a little more special by dining at BonCaldo. We first started out wife meatball appetizers. They were delicious! She had grilled shrimp and I had filet mignon. Both dishes were delicious with one problem. My potato cake was a little cold. I don't know if it was supposed to be that way? The Chardonnay I had was nice also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How are they still in business??runpvdDined on 9/30/2014Wow, what a bummer. We decided to go there for our 25th year anniversary. and wrote such on the reservation. There was no acknowledgment of that. But if that were the only issue, I would not have cared (just found it sloppy). The food was so mediocre. One dish was outstanding (scallops), others dishes -very average, it was disappointing. The waiter had zero knowledge of the wine menu and suggested that we wait a half hour until the person that knew came back-really :( The service was barely ok. We went through the entire meal feeling like going there on such a special occasion or even at all, was a poor choice. What happened Bon Caldo?? The only people that seemed to be enjoying it were the over 80's that seems to be their main clientelle.
- Birthday49Dined on 9/28/2014The food was outstanding! Unfortunately, we were seated right outside if the kitchen so it was quite noisy and disruptive. There were only 2 other groups of diners in the restaurant so it's hard to understand why they seated us there. The waitress was really rough around the edges....she was very loud and kept interrupting us without saying she was sorry. It was borderline embarrassing as we were hosting a family gathering of people who hadn't seen kind another in years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old-timey, but delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014It's an odd restaurant. It seems like they have one wave of customers. So if you don't have a reservation or don't want to wait, just go a bit late around 8pm. It's pretty much cleared out by then. We've been several times over the past year and everything we've had was delicious, with one exception. There was a white fish dish that was lacking in flavor and had overly cooked and heavily oiled veggies. The sauce they give you with the bread has a freshness similar to a bruschetta. The pasta sauce has some wine undertones. The chicken and veal parm are HUGE portions. The pappardelle with truffle oil and braised short rib is amazing!Special Features:
- Easy night outhungryinnorwoodDined on 9/13/2014We came to BonCaldo after a class that we took nearby in Norwood as a group of eight. We were done early, so I called over and the host was easy about advancing out reservation nearly 1/2 hour. The table was ready when we arrived. Service was efficient and the waitress knew the menu well and was helpful with the wine. The only negative was that we were near the kitchen and it was distracting with all the servers running in and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was blaahhh..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Alfredo sauce tasted pasty and way too much. Chicken tasted rubbery. Garlic bread was good.
- Foodie disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014Hi all, I have been to this restaurant many times in the past. I love, love love their fruite de Mare, but this time it was WAY over done and everything was tough and i had several grains of sand in the muscles. The sauce was good and the gluten free pasta was so so. They need to switch from the corn based pasta to brown rice. My wife's dinner was good, however the shrimp were overdone on hers as well. Come on! Can't you do 1 shellfish right? The 5 together in Fruiti De Mare is difficult, but 1!! I am just so disappointed since it is VERY hard to find a place that actually cooks everything right for fruiti De Mare.Special Features:
- Major DisappointmentmishthedishDined on 9/12/2014I would not recommend this spot. I made a reservation for a quiet/romantic table for a birthday dinner. Instead we were put at a table for two just outside the kitchen, we were on the delivery runway. Also they carry Double Cross Vodka as a house vodka with 4 different drink options, I order a DC martini only to be told they were out of Double Cross, our other drink order was wine which they needed to go to the basement for. The one positive part of our meal was the appetizer Lobster Ravioli, that was delicious. I ordered Bolognese with Pappardelle for my dinner and the pasta looked like Lasagna cut down the middle. My fiance had the Lobster Al Forno and was just hoping for a bigger serving. One piece of advise, I would shadow new servers!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We ate in the bar, it was much nicer there than the stuffy dining room. Waiter was unprofessional and appeared to just bring the wrong food order sizes to up the bill. It was my daughters birthday, we did not want dessert but he insisted on bringing a tiramisu, which he then charged us for! Food was good but prob won't go back.
- JEMOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014The food was excellent! Service was great too! And the deserts were fabulous! Everything was homemade, and you could tell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and it was delightful!KellyDined on 9/6/2014Hi Joseph! Thank you for making this first time dining experience at BonCaldo's delightful. Kelly Glynn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyWineNDineDined on 9/5/2014There were 7 of us who went to BonCaldo. There was not one person who was overly happy with their dinner. The price was very expensive for what you get. Small portions and just okay food. I don't mind paying for an expensive dinner when the food is fabulous but this place was not!
- Excellent serviceYummyDined on 9/3/2014My food was good, but the service was better. We had an early reservation and were the only customers in the restaurant. The waitress was very caring, attentive & pleasant...unfortunately, I do not recall her name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, could use some finesseYuriyGVIPDined on 8/28/2014Overall, a surprisingly nice neighborhood Italian place! Huge menu with many great options, and really interesting wine list for those into that sort of thing. Great variety of desserts too, and great portions without intense prices! So for the most part, a great option for those in this neck of the woods! But some rough edges could be fixed. Upscale vibe is a bit lost when waiters are extremely casual and almost diner-like (although she was very nice and we liked her!). The girl who brought out the food was stone-faced, and when pouring water, grabbed the glasses by the top (I hope she had clean hands?). When wine glasses came, they were just washed and had water splashes all over the inside. Some finesse could push BonCaldo to great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightOberst2212Dined on 8/24/2014Bon caldo is now one of my favorite places. The food was excellent and the portion size was more than generous. The whole experience was a true delight. My favorite touch was the opera music playing at a very reasonable volume. It set the perfect scene for a romantic dinner. I have never been so impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit, our first timeIoneliuDined on 8/24/2014We were very impressed with the ambience, nice, cozy, Italian feel, with great music in the background. The food was delicious – you cannot go wrong when you wrap the food in Prosciuto! The pork dish Maiale was simply delicious. The salmon dish was good, too. It was not too crowded that night and the service was very efficient. We had a great time and we’ll be back soon.Special Features:
- FireplaceLindaDined on 8/19/2014The food was great with a different flare. Wait staff very attentive to our needs. A birthday to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice introduction...DiscerningDadDined on 8/16/2014The turning point of our first meal at BonCaldo came when we realized that our daughter's risotto contained pesto. and she is allergic to pine nuts. This was clearly stated on the menu, but we just missed it. Without hesitation, the waitress took the plate back to the kitchen and they re-plated the entire meal. The four of us ordered quite different selections from the large menu of options and each of us was happy with their meal. The wine was very good and sorbet and gelato brought it all to a refreshing conclusion. Our server did seem to disappear for long periods as the room emptied at the end of our meal, but she had already earned her stars with the pesto performance.
- Superb!Carolruth23VIPDined on 8/12/2014As always the meal was excellent. Went with friends who had never been to BonCaldo and they loved it. Calamari was a great starter choice and just melted in your mouth. We all loved our our salads and entrees. It was a weekday and the restaurant was not as busy as a Saturday night, but that did not change the great service and food. We really enjoy this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Date NightScottDined on 8/9/2014Bon Caldo is the very good choice when dining out in Walpole/Norwood. I had been there once before and both times to food was very well prepared. The lighting is dim but bright enough to where you can see your surroundings. This time we had an older male waiter that had a very awkward sense of humor (made a joke about the fact that we didn't get dessert) but the quality of the food is definitely top tier for the area and we will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!PaulaCDined on 8/9/2014Love BonCaldo! Food and service is excellent!! Chicken Marsala out of this world and the scallop appetizer is to die for!Special Features:
- Inconsistent performancemadredelobolocoDined on 8/7/2014Old fashioned Italian - and their fabulous gnocchi and flavorful tomato sauces are spot on. Surprisingly good golden and red beet salad with goat cheese too. However the mussels in the appetizer with sausage and tomato sauce were old and very fishy; my adult son ate only 2 of them and told the server - they still showed up on our bill. Their lobster raviolis were chewy and non-descript. Drinks were fine but took WAY too long in coming (and without asking they substituted one drink for another - we had to send it back and again waited too long for the replacement - total of 30 minutes waiting to get our drinks). We are moving to the neighborhood; and on my birthday August 6th we had high hopes of finding a neighborhood gem. Disappointed.
- Good but not consistentcwc103Dined on 8/6/2014The presentation was magnificent; however, where were the figs stuffed w/ goat cheese described in the salad we ordered. Don't get me wrong - the salad was delicious but 3 large beet slices, many greens, with 2 giant lumps of goat cheese = not exactly what was promised. The potato crusted haddock was delicious, the rice pilaf ordinary with a nice touch of carrot pieces. The flank steak 2/ mushrooms was good but not overwhelming. The dessert sounded interesting..............yes, the few banana slices with sweet sauce was yummy, the gelato pretty good but not up to Italian standards; the phylo pastry had a strange, old oily taste/smell.............sitting around too long? We were quite glad that we paid a discount price and not full price.
- Bon Caldo does it again!delishdahliaDined on 7/31/2014As usual this restaurant lived up to our expectations. We took out a couple that had never been there before and BonCaldo did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 894 reviews are from the BonCaldo reviews archive.
- Buon Appetito!foodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meals - the Groupon was a bonus! Great spot to dine if you want to avoid the many chain restaurants on Rt. 1.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.