1381 Boston Providence Hwy.
Norwood, MA 02067Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.boncaldo.com/
- Phone: 7812555800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Adam Laliberte
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: BonCaldo Catering offers our guest the opportunity to have the same hand created Italian specialties from our main menu, at the location of your choice. Our Catering Menu offers many selections which are available for both delivery & pick-up. If you are planning any affair from 2 to 300 guests, BonCaldo can accommodate your every need including set-up, servers, bartenders, rentals and more. Please call for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: The Special Event Program at BonCaldo can accommodate groups from 10 to 85 guests. BonCaldo offers both private & semi-private space for any type of event. We specialize in large group dining, providing an extensive selection of menu choices, an award winning wine list; and exceptional service and professionalism. Please contact Special Event Manager, Adam Laliberte for booking availability.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Boncaldo 7812555800
- Special Events: BonCaldo offers monthly Chef created & Chef presented Regional Wine Dinners with wine selection from their multiple award winning wine list. Reservation are required for all wine dinners.
A word from BonCaldo
We at BonCaldo feel our menu is truly unique among Italian Restaurants. This is because we are dedicated to featuring authentic offerings from all the regions of Italy. The rich aroma and flavors of authentic open wood fired grilling, fresh made pasta, and homemade desserts will make you feel as if you've not just dined out for the evening, but embarked on a voyage to Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BonCaldo reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)romantic (39)notable wine list (33)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (19)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A delightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Bon caldo is now one of my favorite places. The food was excellent and the portion size was more than generous. The whole experience was a true delight. My favorite touch was the opera music playing at a very reasonable volume. It set the perfect scene for a romantic dinner. I have never been so impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit, our first timeIoneliuDined on 8/24/2014We were very impressed with the ambience, nice, cozy, Italian feel, with great music in the background. The food was delicious – you cannot go wrong when you wrap the food in Prosciuto! The pork dish Maiale was simply delicious. The salmon dish was good, too. It was not too crowded that night and the service was very efficient. We had a great time and we’ll be back soon.Special Features:
- FireplaceLindaDined on 8/19/2014The food was great with a different flare. Wait staff very attentive to our needs. A birthday to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice introduction...DiscerningDadDined on 8/16/2014The turning point of our first meal at BonCaldo came when we realized that our daughter's risotto contained pesto. and she is allergic to pine nuts. This was clearly stated on the menu, but we just missed it. Without hesitation, the waitress took the plate back to the kitchen and they re-plated the entire meal. The four of us ordered quite different selections from the large menu of options and each of us was happy with their meal. The wine was very good and sorbet and gelato brought it all to a refreshing conclusion. Our server did seem to disappear for long periods as the room emptied at the end of our meal, but she had already earned her stars with the pesto performance.
- Good Date NightScottDined on 8/9/2014Bon Caldo is the very good choice when dining out in Walpole/Norwood. I had been there once before and both times to food was very well prepared. The lighting is dim but bright enough to where you can see your surroundings. This time we had an older male waiter that had a very awkward sense of humor (made a joke about the fact that we didn't get dessert) but the quality of the food is definitely top tier for the area and we will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!PaulaCDined on 8/9/2014Love BonCaldo! Food and service is excellent!! Chicken Marsala out of this world and the scallop appetizer is to die for!Special Features:
- Inconsistent performancemadredelobolocoDined on 8/7/2014Old fashioned Italian - and their fabulous gnocchi and flavorful tomato sauces are spot on. Surprisingly good golden and red beet salad with goat cheese too. However the mussels in the appetizer with sausage and tomato sauce were old and very fishy; my adult son ate only 2 of them and told the server - they still showed up on our bill. Their lobster raviolis were chewy and non-descript. Drinks were fine but took WAY too long in coming (and without asking they substituted one drink for another - we had to send it back and again waited too long for the replacement - total of 30 minutes waiting to get our drinks). We are moving to the neighborhood; and on my birthday August 6th we had high hopes of finding a neighborhood gem. Disappointed.
- Good but not consistentcwc103Dined on 8/6/2014The presentation was magnificent; however, where were the figs stuffed w/ goat cheese described in the salad we ordered. Don't get me wrong - the salad was delicious but 3 large beet slices, many greens, with 2 giant lumps of goat cheese = not exactly what was promised. The potato crusted haddock was delicious, the rice pilaf ordinary with a nice touch of carrot pieces. The flank steak 2/ mushrooms was good but not overwhelming. The dessert sounded interesting..............yes, the few banana slices with sweet sauce was yummy, the gelato pretty good but not up to Italian standards; the phylo pastry had a strange, old oily taste/smell.............sitting around too long? We were quite glad that we paid a discount price and not full price.
- Bon Caldo does it again!delishdahliaDined on 7/31/2014As usual this restaurant lived up to our expectations. We took out a couple that had never been there before and BonCaldo did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buon Appetito!foodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meals - the Groupon was a bonus! Great spot to dine if you want to avoid the many chain restaurants on Rt. 1.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed long time dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014We have enjoyed this local restaurant for many years as our go to place for many occasions but our recent visit was not up to it's usual standards They failed to deliver 3 drinks as ordered and all of our entrees that we have enjoyed in the past were not the same and seem to be cost improved. Not likely to return.
- always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014Enjoyed a relaxed meal and very good service . The food choice was good , many items to pick from. We were not rushed and had a wonderful homemade tiramasu !! Free parking a bonus!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseGingerishDined on 7/9/2014Would not have expected such well thought and executed food right on Rte 1. Friendly, good service; wonderful wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointedBlueSky88Dined on 7/3/2014I decided to purchase a Groupon offer for this restaurant after I saw a lot of good review. I liked the ambiance, so romantic and causy, but the food; inedible! We ordered fried calamari for apetiser, it was delisious. But our entries; pasta carpadella and the viel, both inedible and expensive.Special Features:
- Poorly prepared foodYRUL84TVIPDined on 6/28/2014Some dishes were OK (e.g., calimari), the rest were poorly prepared. If the food isn't good, the overall rating must be POOR. The mixed salad was a disgrace (but not expensive, I'll give it that) the way it was assembled and appeared. Lettuce leaves had seen crisper days. The parpadelle main course was a piles of clumped noodles so dark and chewy as to be indistinguishable from the mushrooms. The short ribs in the dish barely noticeable. The sauce was like watered down canned soup with a heavy hand on truffle-flavored olive oil. The service was perfectly fine and pleasant. The other pasta dish was over sauced. A better feed is available at any Olive Garden and I don't really care for Olive Garden. Avoid!
- Wonder Find!inhigearDined on 6/25/2014Bondalco is a great place for a great meal. Romantic, quiet and great service. Joe, the owner, was great about accommodating my special requests as well as a my vegetarian date. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was deliciousBruins21Dined on 6/21/2014Only thing that was bad was that it was freezing cold and that they ran out of bread and told us that they had to run over to stop and shop to pick some up. Everything else was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014This was the third time. Mixed food reviews. My swordfish was amazing, as was our calamari appetizer however the Veal Saltimbocca was mediocre. However, our server was excellent!! Dinner the time before was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodDebbieDined on 6/20/2014We went there for the Lobster Specials. It was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and staffout2lunchDined on 6/19/2014Great and friendly service. Food was good but I have had better italian food especially for the price. Good portion sizes and very adaptable to special requests. Prices are a little high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- supOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014good dining experience.........meals were delivered timely and were good.....special requests were handled well....reservation made online w/ no glitches.... more parking out front would be nice..but plenty out backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ikeyDined on 6/17/2014I went here as I had a Phantom Gourmet gift card. I read the reviews and was excited to try it. However, I was extremely dissapointed. The service was slow, and the waiter was disinterested. The antipasto platter, had meat that looked dry, and it was covered in olive oil to moisten it. Lobster had no flavor. Pork was overdone, and we were never asked how we wanted it prepared
- Our first time hereArleneDined on 6/14/2014The food was really good and they served a large portion. The was service was ok, it seemed like if they just wanted us eat and leave. We did not feel welcome. The waiter would try to remove our plates before we were done eating and every time they would refill our glasses with water they would reach over our food without saying excuse me or even asking if we wanted more water. Although the food was delicious we will be returning.
- Consistently ExcellentTrixieDined on 6/14/2014This is my third visit to Boncaldo over the years and each time has been consistently excellent. I ordered the potato flake crusted haddock which was fresh, flaky and excellent. It was accompanied by parmigiano pesto risotto which was outstanding! My companion ordered the bolognese which was great as well. We each had the pera salad to start as well as gamberi (fire grilled tiger shrimp). Wonderful Wine list leaves a bit to be desired for the discerning palate, basic, however it was acceptable. I would visit again and again.Special Features:
- luv fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Great atmosphere - food was excellent. We were celebrating a special occasion and our experience was indeed memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinnereatingwellsince87Dined on 6/11/2014I just went to Bon Caldo earlier this week for my birthday dinner. It was a group of 10 and none of us had been there before. It was delicious! Everyone was extremely happy with their dinner choices. Bread and sauce is served as a pre-appetizer and we all shared a different dessert. None of which was less than delicious! I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- DisappointingyngproDined on 6/8/2014This has been one of my favorite restaurants for awhile, until this last time. The service and ambiance are always great, but this time the food was gross. I ordered the salmon ravioli special and it tasted like glue. The waiter did replace the dish with my "go to" the lobster ravioli and it was just edible. The drastic difference between this past time and the norm was shocking.Special Features:
- Great night outLocalserverAliDined on 6/5/2014I had a lovely dinner at Boncaldo. The calamari appetizer is out of this world-and I order calamari all the time. I had the baked haddock dinner which had a huge piece of perfectly cooked fish. The risotto was cooked to perfection, I could've done without the broccoli rabe as it was too bitter for the rest of the dish. My boyfriend got the shrimp scampi which had huge shrimp and amazing tomatoes. We ended up getting the mousse for dessert which was fantastic; my boyfriend usually doesn't like dessert but we were fighting over the last bite! Our server could use some menu refreshers but was pleasant and welcoming. It has a great atmosphere. All in all one of my best dining experiences in recent memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatoutDined on 6/5/2014service could have been a little more attentive - my veal parm was delish - wine was outstanding - my hubbys veal saltimbocca he didn't really care for - bread was great with the tomato sauce dunk - been here many times - will go back again - do recommend - must say a very clean restaurant which is unusual in a romantic setting
- Great food, great placenewtonmomVIPDined on 6/5/2014I met my old college roommates there for dinner on a Thursday night. The food was incredible - we all were happy with our meals and cleared our plates. I will definitely go back, and definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- HelenLouDined on 6/1/2014Dining at Bon Caldo is a trip to Italy, with rustic decor and romantic Italian music playing in the background. Attentive service and superb food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent food quality.Afh714Dined on 5/30/2014My husband and I had dinner there the other night after many years. It was not nearly as good as I remembered. There were not enough servers. Our waiter seemed to have too many tables so service was very slow. We ordered two appetizers one of which was very good. We ordered two entrees one of which was very good. My salmon was very overlooked and dry. I don't think we will be going back.
- goodEEEsteDined on 5/25/2014Very nice food..pleasant dinner........ Much better than our last time there although the seating process with the hostess still needs refining.Special Features:
- Nice place!BigreddogDined on 5/18/2014We truly enjoyed this restaurant. Everything from the food to the apmosphere was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014This time around the visit was much better. We had better service and the selections we chose were delicious. Calamari was fantastic. Willing to go back again since this visit was much better than the one a few months ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Might recommend it to my parentsMrsTazDined on 5/17/2014The food was average here, totally fine but nothing stood out in terms of flavor or wide variety within the Italian foods. The best thing about it was the mixed drink I had was a strong one, not watered down. The thing that I would change is the overhead music; too loud and there seemed to be a lot of opera-like singing. Everything else was ok but the overall restaurant was just not my type. My husband and I were easily the youngest people there and we are in our mid 40's! My parents would probably have like this place. Other patrons seemed to be enjoying their meal. The veal saltimbocca and braised short ribs were pretty good but I would rather try another restaurant in the future.
- Just averageAverageDined on 5/16/2014Boncaldo was an average experience overall. I thought my haddock was under seasoned and relatively bland in taste, while my wife was happy enough with her personal pizza. I will say the wine list is very nice and reasonable. The dessert tiramisu was terrific and gave an extra star on this review. Service was again average, seemed more like a chain mentality versus expectations at a fine dining restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Italian FoodeecmDined on 5/16/2014Good italian food with a nice atmosphere. Service is OK.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014The food was good but the service was very slow. I think they were shorthanded on Mother's Day. Have Ben several other times without that problem.
- Nice AtmosphereRiastarDined on 5/11/2014Mother's day brunch at Bon Caldo was wonderful. Great selection of foods and desserts that were expertly prepared. The service was very good and the atmosphere was homey and comfortable. I will go back to try additional dishes even though I sampled quite a bit off the buffet already. I highly recommend Bon Caldo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.