443 rue St-Francois-Xavier
Montreal, QC H2Y 2T1Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantbonaparte.com/
- Phone: 5148444368
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Gérard Fort
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Salle privée pour groupe de 15 à 20 personnes et de 50 à 70 personnes Private room for group of 15 to 20 persons and from 50 to 70 persons
- Private Party Contact: Maryse Leblond 514-844-3510
A word from Bonaparte
Trois salles ravissantes très fleuries et décorées avec goût, dans la sobriété du style Empire qui a marqué l'époque napoléonienne, donnent au restaurant un lustre d'intimité que les convives apprécient toujours. La cuisine du Bonaparte est tout sourire, basée sur la fraîcheur des produits. / Three delightfully decorated halls in the Empire style that dominated the Napoleonic era give the restaurant the intimate character that guests treasure. An exquisite cuisine, prepared with French savoir-faire and showcasing the finest fresh regional products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Bonaparte - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Bonaparte reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (118)romantic (107)fit for foodies (95)notable wine list (64)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (20)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Amazing MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014We found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and could not have been happier. Our Server Marc was very discreet and knowledgeable. He knew when to come to the table and when to leave us alone. The menu was amazing. Three difference types of tasting menus plus a full regular menu if you should so choose. We choose the Autumn menu and were not disappointed. The food was wonderful and the portions perfect for that type of meal. The only downside is that they did not offer was a wine pairings option. However Marc, was able to offer wines by the glass that were perfect compliments to the meal we had chosen. The variety of food ran from seafood to game and everything in the middle. I will definitely go back when in Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have asked for anythingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014more. Despite being ridiculously late the maitre'd took great care of us. The food was superb. AND we had a show to catch!? They hustled the service AND we had their fantastic grand marnier souffle. It was all divine and we made our show! Wow. I would recommend their creme brulee foie gras as a starter - unique and delicious. Also that gorgeous scallop and mushroom entree. My husband said his tuna was truly perfectly cooked, tender, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively Historic Area Food FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We chose Bonaparte because of its reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed and in fact were happy to hear that foodie friends of ours that had recently been in Montreal rated this restaurant as their favorite.The place is tucked away in the historic section of Old Port. The decor is upscale French with hints of history. We dined in the bricked in patio at the back, which made for a loud evening due to a foursome that was really enjoying themselves. This room had the brick wall, tile floors, and wood walls causing it to be very loud until our fellow diners left the room. Wine list was superb and it was refreshing to order half bottles when clearly a full was too much. We chose the fabulous 7 course prix fixe. We will return!Special Features:
- Visiting from USRepeatVIPDined on 10/17/2014In Montreal for a conference, wanted to experience a nice French restaurant in Old Montreal. With the help Open Table, Bonoparte was chosen. It had five stars and great reviews, plus it was walking distance from hotel. We a had party of six, great food, wine and service. Like most European restaurants a meal is something to be enjoyed and not rushed, we spent 2 1/2 hours there, talking eating, it was great. French Wine selection was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location in old MontrealBrattydinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014We made last minute reservations but found the restaurant very accommodating. The wine list was limited for glasses and half bottles, and when I ordered a glass a different wine was substituted with no discussion except-"it is very good too" Food was ok-the menu seemed a bit tired-so perhaps the chef is tired of preparing it. Lots of better restaurants in the area-try Bocata!!!Special Features:
- exceptional service amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014l. Food was great. All courses were cooked perfectly. Wife had Dover sole. Children had chicken with brie and lobster. I had seafood pasta. With desserts and a bottle of wine. totally worth it. This was the best meal for the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurantHawkeyeDined on 10/5/2014I always try to schedule a dinner here when visiting this great city. The price fixed tasting menus are always excellent. Presentation is superb. The food is delicious, the portions are sensible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bonaparte Perfect AnniversarylovemontrealDined on 10/5/2014The Food was Delicious! The Service was great. There was one very large group, however that was a bit loud, but that did no interfere with our meal. The meal was served at the right pace for a special relaxing dinner, as ours was. We were celebrating our 26th Anniversary. This is not an everyday restaurant as it is quite expensive, but perfect for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Montreal TreasureKarateDined on 10/5/2014We are first-timers in this gorgeous city. We found this restaurant, not unexpectedly, to be very French, and a definite for our next visit. As lovers of French cuisine, we were totally blown away by the quality of the meals, the choice of wines and the modesty of the cost. A tip for enthusiastic diners - save room for the unbelievably good soufflé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service; Bad TimingmaxfaxDined on 10/4/2014Nice, old fashioned and superb ... really excellent service ... but, half of section in which the 2 of us were seated (very nice) was spacious and all seats filled ... but, other half of section contained what seemed like hundreds of folks in a tour group who were packed in tightly ... and uncomprehendingly noisy beyond anything I"ve seen in any 5-star want-to-be. On the other hand, the Captain apologized saying he was as surprised as we were ... if not for that, 5 stars every time.Special Features:
- anniversary celebrationgetrealDined on 10/1/2014couldn't have been better, ever thing was great, would definitely go againSpecial Features:
- haute cuisine at lastcuisinierDined on 10/1/2014After several days in Quebec City, eating at nice but too touristy locales, fine cuisine at last. Seasonal table d'hote was exceptional with enough ch oices to suit most people. Staff substituted a calvados soufflé for dessert with no problem. Service instantaneous but not hovering. Thanks to all in Quebec City and Montreal who allowed me to dust off very rusty French and actually seemed pleased I tried. Merci beaucoup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MTLExpatDined on 9/27/2014I found Bonaparte via Yelp and made a reservation for my wife and I to celebrate our 3-year wedding anniversary. We are new to the Montreal area and wanted to dine in an area of town where we could do some appetizers and drinks beforehand...Bonaparte is definitely in a good are for that. Also, we wanted to try a place with excellent food reviews for French cuisine...Bonaparte fits that description as well. The food was delicious, and while it could be a bit pricey, the value compared to some other similarly rated restaurants was tremendous. A 5 course tasting menu for $54 was perfect for each of us. The veal and duck were amazing...would go back for those again. Service was very friendly, but a bit slow at times. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Montreal Gemazoo17Dined on 9/27/2014The venue is cozy and understated. The service is excellent. The menu provides many food choices and price point combinations for a variety of budgets yet all the food that our party of four ordered was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Place to Take Josephine!billbuzzDined on 9/27/2014Not only is the food and wine great, the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively, energetic placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Very much enjoyed it. Yes, a bit pricey, but was in line with fare at this level. Would definitely go back. Reminds me of my favorite bistro in Savannah, Ga.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I took my wife to Bonaparte toVincentVIPDined on 9/26/2014celebrate her birthday. It was wonderful. The food was terrific and the waitress was exceptional. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbsavannahDined on 9/23/2014The menu has many choices and all four of us had superb meals. We were seated in a back room that was quiet but still pleasant but the front of teh restaurant had tables with street views of charming old Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in the old towndude65Dined on 9/21/2014Had a table d'hote 5 course menu which was very good. Not cheap but worth every penny. Wine list is very expensive though. Next time in Montreal we will return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Lovely, Classic RestaurantKat324Dined on 9/20/2014Classic spot that lives up to the expectation of French dining in Montreal. Good food.Special Features:
- Decent, Just DecentryanhowaVIPDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I dined on our anniversary, so we were looking for a romantic restaurant with great service, great wine, and great food. Bonaparte delivers on atmosphere, service, and wine selection. The food, however, was mediocre. We each opted for the tasting menu with recommendations from our attentive waiter. - The lobster bisque was perfect in texture, but lacking in body and taste. There was no complexity to this dish. - The foie gras creme brulee was decent. - The filet was too spicy, although perfectly cooked. I could only eat half of this beautiful steak because the pepper was burdensome. - The lamb was very good. - Side items plated with food had no imagination. Other items were forgettable.
- Always wonderfulMichelaDined on 9/18/2014We dine at Bonaparte every time we come to Montreal. We love the lobster stew in vanilla sauce. This year they added perch to the recipe, but it was still great. The service is wonderful in every respect. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for French and found it2goodDined on 9/15/2014Great location in old Montreal, friendly, attentive service shared by all the wait staff, wonderful duck and scallops, creme brûlée is 5 star.bSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got more than we expectedCalgaryMumDined on 9/15/2014Even though this restaurant is well rated, it is less known/not as popular as other great Montreal restaurants, so we didn't know what to expect. We had invited friends to join us and had a child with us. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food/service/experience. The menu had items to please everyone, from the plain meat/potato/veg person to the sophisticated gourmet. The setting/decoration was beautiful and the staff was very friendly/welcoming. This is a fancy but accessible restaurant. Would strongly recommend it.Special Features:
- SuperbDisappointedVIPDined on 9/14/2014Dover sole and Filet mignon were scrumptious. Excellent presentation and service. "I will return."Special Features:
- Lovely gourmet dinnerPatfloridanjDined on 9/13/2014There were four people in our party. We all enjoyed our meals. The only negative comment from one of the ladies was that the plates were very hot and should have been very warm. I did not have a problem with the hot plates. We were seated in one of their smaller dining rooms and the air was warm. When we asked for a cooler room the waiter lowered the temperature and everyone was happy. The mushroom ravioli appetizer was wonderful, the pasta was very thin and the mushroom centers were sublime. The rack of lamb was also superb, in a light wine sauce. The baby vegetables were not too hard or soft.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Fabulous fabulous fabulous!!!!!!! Wonderful service with a great wait staff and the good was beyond amazing! All positive comments to make. The food was great, atmosphere was great, and on a great location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for older crowdsMtlfoodieDined on 9/12/2014I have to say that the food and service were really good but my boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s and we thought this place to be more for an older crowd. If you're looking for a modern and trendy place to wine and dine, this place is not for you.Special Features:
- Great find in old MontrealAlwaysGREATDined on 9/10/2014What a great restaurant! There are many restaurants in Old Montreal, but if you're looking for one for a special occasion, one with great food, great service and class, you can't beat Bonaparte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014Food was very good, the service was attentive but we were not rushed. Understated ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to snuffKrustyDined on 9/7/2014Wonderful, very knowledgeable and helpful waiter who found us a nice wine. The atmosphere is genial. Dinner very slow to arrive though, and my plate was a very optimistically named Navarin de homard, featuring randomly selected parts of a 1# lobster, which (both navarin and homard) were unworthy of being listed on the menu.Special Features:
- First and lastDerekDined on 9/6/2014First and last Cold onion soup, dramatic wine 70 CAD unacceptable Never againSpecial Features:
- A place on its ownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Bonaparte should on l'y ne judged against top world restaurants. It's menu selection is well balanced yet unique. The wine list will fit the finest wine connairseur. The service, presentation, quality and taste experience fit any world known 5 star restaurant. It's pricy but worth every penny. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceJeanVIPDined on 9/2/2014Another great dinner experience with friends from Australia getting off a cruiseship... They thought the food was better than what they experienced on Seabourn. Beef was extremely tender with an amazing juice; Dover sole was very tasty and cooked to perfection... The chef seems to be able to keep a constant level of quality of food. Place to return for a nice classic French cuisine experience with a younger twist in service.Special Features:
- 50th Birthday CelebrationBostonFamilyDined on 8/31/2014We went to Bonaparte to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. We had our teenagers with us. The restaurant is very pretty inside. The food was very good and beautifully presented. The entrees were not too exotic which appealed to our teenagers. We had both duck dishes, the salmon, and the filet mgnon. All were beautifully prepared. The service was great. We all loved the faux gras soufflette. We were looking for a special occasion meal and this restaurant wet our expectations.Special Features:
- Gorgeou presentation delish soufflélikegoodfoodanywhereDined on 8/31/2014The presentation of all the food was spectacular. Of note the vanilla lobster - a perfectly picked lobster served with its shell but the meat, pasta and veggies arranged in the shape of a lobster with the claw meat as the claws. We really enjoyed the soufflé - each of us ordered a different one which was over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French CuisineAliCatVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had an outstanding experience at Bonaparte. The service was excellent, and the food was delicious. We highly recommend the tasting menu. The filet mignon was amazing. The seating area we were in was, by far, the nicest. It was in the back under a beautiful skylight.Special Features:
- French cuisine at it's bestSwrocketVIPDined on 8/29/2014I visited Montreal with my wife and two kids (10 and 8) and booked this restaurant using open table. The service we received was top notch, they were very friendly and easy with the kids and the menu had a lot of choice (we took al la carte), so we went back again the next night (by request of the kids) with equally good results. In particular the Duck breast and the french onion soup were amazing, as was the desert combo (symphony). My wife had the veal medallions and the Dover Sole, both of which were excellent. If you find yourself in old port Montreal, this place is a MUST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabfoodDined on 8/26/2014We eat at this restaurant every time we visit Montreal. The service is extremely professional and the food is always superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSomeoneSomewhereVIPDined on 8/26/2014Bonaparte could be the best French restaurant not actually in France. (No, I haven't tried them all, but I've tried many French restaurants across North America - and in Paris as well - and keep returning to Bonaparte.) Outstanding food, reasonably priced on the table d'hote menu or even a la carte. This is probably the sixth time I've eaten here, and I keep returning. This time I brought my family!Special Features: