443 rue St-Francois-Xavier
Montreal, QC H2Y 2T1Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantbonaparte.com/
- Phone: 5148444368
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Gérard Fort
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Salle privée pour groupe de 15 à 20 personnes et de 50 à 70 personnes Private room for group of 15 to 20 persons and from 50 to 70 persons
- Private Party Contact: Maryse Leblond 514-844-3510
A word from Bonaparte
Trois salles ravissantes très fleuries et décorées avec goût, dans la sobriété du style Empire qui a marqué l'époque napoléonienne, donnent au restaurant un lustre d'intimité que les convives apprécient toujours. La cuisine du Bonaparte est tout sourire, basée sur la fraîcheur des produits. / Three delightfully decorated halls in the Empire style that dominated the Napoleonic era give the restaurant the intimate character that guests treasure. An exquisite cuisine, prepared with French savoir-faire and showcasing the finest fresh regional products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bonaparte - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Bonaparte reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (96)romantic (93)fit for foodies (86)notable wine list (53)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (22)great for lunch (10)scenic view (9)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We eat at this restaurant every time we visit Montreal. The service is extremely professional and the food is always superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSomeoneSomewhereVIPDined on 8/26/2014Bonaparte could be the best French restaurant not actually in France. (No, I haven't tried them all, but I've tried many French restaurants across North America - and in Paris as well - and keep returning to Bonaparte.) Outstanding food, reasonably priced on the table d'hote menu or even a la carte. This is probably the sixth time I've eaten here, and I keep returning. This time I brought my family!Special Features:
- ExcellentOnlythebestDined on 8/23/2014One of the top restaurants in all of Montreal. The food is of exceptional quality, flavour and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in a whilegluttonDined on 8/23/2014I am very pleased with my experience at Bonaparte. The a la carte and tasting menus looked great (quite large for an upscale restaurant), but my party opted for the three course option. In terms of price, it is a great deal, and the menu included roughly five options per course. Everyone in my party ordered something different, and we all loved our food. The atmosphere was equally compelling. We were seated in a beautiful, cozy room. Intimate lighting for dinner time, but with natural light coming from the ceiling. Some artwork and candles lined the walls. The noise level was just right. You hear peoples' voices, but not their conversations. Well-paced service, very friendly staff. Then you're in the old port for post-meal stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itBravoandieVIPDined on 8/23/2014We dined here Sat Aug 23, 2014 for dinner. I ordered opted to order ala carte, my dining partner got the pixe priz menu. The restaurant was full, but that is no excuse for the horrible service we received from our waiter. The rest of the staff was fantastic and attentive. The lobster bisque was tasteless but the seafood gnocchi delicious. I had lamb chops which were good, not great. I never write reviews, but unless you plan on doing the large, I think it's 8 courses, tasting menu- skip this place.Special Features:
- A real Montreal experience!RichDined on 8/22/2014From the moment you walk in you feel like you could be in Europe! The staff is excellent and we lucked in to a private table with a window view! All the food was great but the Mushroom Ravioli was the superstar! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent, excellent, excellent!!! Every aspect of our experience was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bonaparte Restaurant excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food art with amazing taste! End of night asked for a taxi for my 88 year old Mom and myself and they asked the taxi company to enter the facility and assist with "the client". They go above and beyond....my Mom was thrilled with the evening!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by a friend. She had gone there years ago. It was easy to find. We had a reservation and were seated right away. Our seat was 1 removed from the front window seats. It was OK. I wasnt blown away by the atmosphere. But the waiter we had was excellent. My husband said he was the best waiter he'd ever had. We choose the tasting menu. Everything was delicious. They dont rush you, but everything also came out in a timely manner. Overall an excellent dinner and experience.Special Features:
- A beautiful eveningMichaelDined on 8/15/2014Friday evening we visited Bonaparte for our first meal out since moving to Montréal two weeks ago. Wow. We had a delightful experience, enjoyed the fireplace and ambience and the setting in the Old Port. The meal was perfect. The timing of the courses allowed us time to interact and enjoy each other and the evening. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitermarinersDined on 8/15/2014Our waiter was border-line rude and uninformed. As usual, the food was very good but the waiter was a put-off. Will probably go there again; hopefully, we won't get the same jerk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014We loved the food, our waiter was excellent. We went back for a late night dessert the following evening. It was divine!Special Features:
- Trad French Food in Old TownTape342Dined on 8/10/2014We were looking for a traditional French dining experience, hoping to avoid the haute cuisine that seems to be the current trend in dining. In short, Bonaparte served the finest multiple course French meal I have ever experienced - in North America, Asia or Europe. The staff was exceptional, the dining area elegant and quiet, and the food was beyond anything expectation I could've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!MiguelMadridDined on 8/9/2014Great fine french dinner in Vieux Montréal. Everything was great, except for the noise. There was a large group in a table next to ours, and they talked too loud, which made it a little less charming than it could have been.Special Features:
- Delightful French GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014As non-French speaking tourists, this gem of a restaurant in Montreal was delightful. The staff was professional and accommodating without the typical stuffiness we've experienced in other French restaurants. My husband and I chose the À table sous l’empire tasting menu (a menu based on dinners served at the ‘Tuileries’ and Joséphine’s Château Malmaison in 1809 ) along with the wine pairing option. Our children ordered a la carte. The food was beautifully prepared and not over-complicated. If we ever visit the Montreal area again, Bonaparte will most assuredly be part of our dining itinerary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendJohnSDined on 8/8/2014Really glad we booked at Bonaparte for our weekend away in Montreal. We chose the reasonably-priced tasting menu and enjoyed an excellent array of tasty and well presented dishes. Service was very welcoming and some nice half-bottles allowed us to vary our wines accordingly. Considering the prices compared to other top Montreal restaurants, Bonaparte is a little gem. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalLoveFineDiningDined on 8/6/2014Excellent quality food and service. Would certainly eat here again.Special Features:
- The whole packageprimpysheepDined on 8/4/2014My husband and I had dinner here on our anniversary and it was the perfect meal to honor our special day. I requested a table in one of the four little window alcoves, so we looked out onto the street. The servers were polite, attentive and accommodating. The food was fantastic and there was amazing attention to detail--for example, even the garnishes were lightly salted and dressed with olive oil. It was a pleasant surprise! My lobster with vanilla muscat sauce was divine, and the kitchen expertly translated my husband's ambiguous request for his filet to be cooked "between medium and medium rare." They nailed it and he was very happy. I should note that we also stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and the entire experience was fantastic.Special Features:
- Definitely not a WaterloobobbarbaraVIPDined on 8/3/2014A classic Classic French restaurant located in the incomparable Old Town. A must if you must have great cuisine, service and ambience at at a cost that is acceptably high. But you absolutely get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal2docsDined on 8/2/2014The chefs special tasting menu had collection that were over-the-top. Service was almost perfect A little pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was consistenly greatDucklingVIPDined on 7/31/2014This is a 'Must Go' restaurant. I have been to Bonaparte more than 5 times. Both food and service have consistently been great. I ordered the tasting menu every time. The menu didn't change much yet I will continue to have the tasting menu. My favourites are foie gras crème burlee and chocolate soufflé.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysGatorfanDined on 7/29/2014This restaurant is a perfect spot for a romantic dining experience in old Montreal. Ask for a window seat with your reservation - usually window seats are for two people. Food is outstanding. Have been a couple times and first time was three years ago, both were excellent. Service is exceptional as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will not be dissappointed!faroutandaboutDined on 7/28/2014Visiting Montreal for a congress I selected Bonaparte for a dinner with some friends from US and Portugal. We were very impressed with the food, service and selection of wines. Definitely will return next time I am in Montreal and would highly recommend to any visitor to the city. Located walking distance from the Congress Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingrt54Dined on 7/26/2014The reservation was in place with excellent communication from Bonaparte. The food and service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food however...IsThisAShifterCarDined on 7/26/2014We had made a reservation for 2 for our anniversary and showed up dressed to kill and expecting the best Montreal had to offer. We were quickly seated, despite there being several other open tables, at a four-top adjacent to the servers station and essentially in the doorway to the back room where a small wedding reception was being held clinking glasses and all. We asked to be moved and with what seemed like some reluctance we were placed at a very nice table in another room. We had already heard te specials and received water so out server was slightly thrown off and the rest of the night seemed slightly uncomfortable. The food was excellent and would have been exactly what we were looking for had we been seated there originally.Special Features:
- A great findJandRVIPDined on 7/25/2014A nice spot for visitors from Toronto to find for a dinner on a one night stay in Montreal. We were staying at the hotel so the restaurant was very convenient. The food and service were excellent. And the bartender was very skilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceservenotDined on 7/24/2014Food was top drawer as usual, however service left a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- Excellent special-occasion place!AlanJDined on 7/24/2014My wife and I had our anniversary dinner at Bonaparte on a Thursday night. It was our first time there, and only our third time ever in Montreal. The food was excellent! My wife had lamb and pronounced it the best she had ever had. It was extremely tender and flavorful. I had scallops on a bed of mushrooms and that, too, was wonderful. The room where we were seated had 15 or so tables, and was mostly full, but even with a large party directly behind us, the noise level was never an issue. We could talk in regular conversational tones. If we come to Momntreal again for a special occasion, we would definitely come to Bonaparte again.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceAnneVTVIPDined on 7/23/2014We can't say enough about this restaurant. The food was wonderful and the service was great. As English speakers visiting Montreal we had not as warm a welcome in other places. The ambiance was very Old Montreal and the noise level was fine to carry on a conversation. Top food choices - I had the table d'hôte with game terrine, haddock and creme brûlée for dessert. Amazing. The lamb, the rabbit confit aslso were delicious. The preparation was elegant and artistic and the portions just right. So far our favorite place in MontrealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vraiment tres bienAnnickVIPDined on 7/21/2014Superbe nourriture, superbe service, lunch memorable en saveurs. Bravo au Chef!Special Features:
- Excellent experiencejondeeDined on 7/20/2014Great food, down-to-earth professional staff, great location. Thank you for a memorable experience!Special Features:
- Old-style French, masterfully donedhenwoodDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant feels like something from another era. Classic French food, beautifully done, with excellent and friendly service. Duck confit, foie gras, yum.Special Features:
- Beautiful eveningTastingmenu7Dined on 7/14/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 46th wedding anniversary with their 7 course tasting menu. All of the courses were excellent as was the main man Christophe who took care of us throughout the evening. His gracious attitude along with the wonderful food and great table by the window made for a thoroughly enjoyable evening. I highly recommend the Bonaparte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but nothing specialDisappointedDinerDined on 7/14/2014Ambience was great. Service was very good. Maitre d' took full responsibility for two bottles of red wine that had to be sent back due to secondary fermentation. Food was only fair. In fairness, our table all ate from the Table D'hote which was very reasonable at about $35/person. The a la carte menu was much more extensive and expensive and perhaps this is where you have to go if you want to taste the kind of food you would expect from such a well-respected restaurant. With so many outstanding restaurants in Montreal, the food simply did not cut it and despite the other desirable characteristics of Bonaparte, we will likely not return.Special Features:
- Great FoodgoodbutVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a great meal. Two different tasting menus (actually good value) on the same table. Highlights, mushroom ravioli, sole, veal, terrine. Saturday night was busy and at one point the food service was slow - the waiter came with a glass of champagne for us all and that saw us through very well. Will definitely go back when looking for a good meal in the old port.Special Features:
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Overall the evening was great. The service was excellent, knowledgeable wait staff, attentive also. Room was upscale, and we had a great table with a nice view of Old Montreal. The food was very good, and really the only complaints we had were that the smoked salmon in one of the dishes was a little too salty, as well as one of the fish dishes was a little salty for the person who ordered it. The lobster bisque was great, the crème brulee foie gras was exceptional, the warm goat chese in filo, was also a hit. For the mains, the duck, lamb, and fillet mignon were all done perfectly, the only miss was the dover sole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply perfectTravelerDined on 7/5/2014Wonderful from beginning to end. Friendly, efficient service in charming atmosphere. Food perfectly prepared with great presentation. Menu degustation worth every penny.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantkeithmVIPDined on 7/4/2014The food here was outstanding as was the service to detail. We chose the tasting. We started with Lobster Bisque & Crispy Goat cheese & salad. Both full of flavor. Next up was the Creme Brulee of Foie Gras & Escargots & mushrooms. Both outstanding. Mains were Lamb Rack & Filets of Dover Sole. Really nice. From there we did the symphony of desserts, which consists of small tastings of their desserts. Very nice. Portions are a bit small, but this is a tasting. For larger portions, just "choose" Al a Carte. We do plan on dining here again upon our return. Many restaurants in the "Old Port" are more or less tourist traps. This place was truley outstanding,as many reviews will point out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SonnyDined on 7/3/2014Had the lobster bisque and red tuna steak. Best tuna ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonapartetravellingdinerDined on 7/3/2014Very good food, the duck was excellent, and so was the chicken with brie. Nice presentation and attentive service.Special Features: