443 rue St-Francois-Xavier
Montreal, QC H2Y 2T1Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantbonaparte.com/
- Phone: 5148444368
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Gérard Fort
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Salle privée pour groupe de 15 à 20 personnes et de 50 à 70 personnes Private room for group of 15 to 20 persons and from 50 to 70 persons
- Private Party Contact: Maryse Leblond 514-844-3510
A word from Bonaparte
Trois salles ravissantes très fleuries et décorées avec goût, dans la sobriété du style Empire qui a marqué l'époque napoléonienne, donnent au restaurant un lustre d'intimité que les convives apprécient toujours. La cuisine du Bonaparte est tout sourire, basée sur la fraîcheur des produits. / Three delightfully decorated halls in the Empire style that dominated the Napoleonic era give the restaurant the intimate character that guests treasure. An exquisite cuisine, prepared with French savoir-faire and showcasing the finest fresh regional products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bonaparte - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Bonaparte reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)romantic (105)fit for foodies (96)notable wine list (58)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (21)late-night find (10)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (7)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Looking for French and found it2goodDined on 9/15/2014Great location in old Montreal, friendly, attentive service shared by all the wait staff, wonderful duck and scallops, creme brûlée is 5 star.bSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbDisappointedVIPDined on 9/14/2014Dover sole and Filet mignon were scrumptious. Excellent presentation and service. "I will return."Special Features:
- Lovely gourmet dinnerPatfloridanjDined on 9/13/2014There were four people in our party. We all enjoyed our meals. The only negative comment from one of the ladies was that the plates were very hot and should have been very warm. I did not have a problem with the hot plates. We were seated in one of their smaller dining rooms and the air was warm. When we asked for a cooler room the waiter lowered the temperature and everyone was happy. The mushroom ravioli appetizer was wonderful, the pasta was very thin and the mushroom centers were sublime. The rack of lamb was also superb, in a light wine sauce. The baby vegetables were not too hard or soft.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Fabulous fabulous fabulous!!!!!!! Wonderful service with a great wait staff and the good was beyond amazing! All positive comments to make. The food was great, atmosphere was great, and on a great location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for older crowdsMtlfoodieDined on 9/12/2014I have to say that the food and service were really good but my boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s and we thought this place to be more for an older crowd. If you're looking for a modern and trendy place to wine and dine, this place is not for you.Special Features:
- Great find in old MontrealAlwaysGREATDined on 9/10/2014What a great restaurant! There are many restaurants in Old Montreal, but if you're looking for one for a special occasion, one with great food, great service and class, you can't beat Bonaparte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014Food was very good, the service was attentive but we were not rushed. Understated ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to snuffKrustyDined on 9/7/2014Wonderful, very knowledgeable and helpful waiter who found us a nice wine. The atmosphere is genial. Dinner very slow to arrive though, and my plate was a very optimistically named Navarin de homard, featuring randomly selected parts of a 1# lobster, which (both navarin and homard) were unworthy of being listed on the menu.Special Features:
- First and lastDerekDined on 9/6/2014First and last Cold onion soup, dramatic wine 70 CAD unacceptable Never againSpecial Features:
- A place on its ownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Bonaparte should on l'y ne judged against top world restaurants. It's menu selection is well balanced yet unique. The wine list will fit the finest wine connairseur. The service, presentation, quality and taste experience fit any world known 5 star restaurant. It's pricy but worth every penny. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceJeanVIPDined on 9/2/2014Another great dinner experience with friends from Australia getting off a cruiseship... They thought the food was better than what they experienced on Seabourn. Beef was extremely tender with an amazing juice; Dover sole was very tasty and cooked to perfection... The chef seems to be able to keep a constant level of quality of food. Place to return for a nice classic French cuisine experience with a younger twist in service.Special Features:
- 50th Birthday CelebrationBostonFamilyDined on 8/31/2014We went to Bonaparte to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. We had our teenagers with us. The restaurant is very pretty inside. The food was very good and beautifully presented. The entrees were not too exotic which appealed to our teenagers. We had both duck dishes, the salmon, and the filet mgnon. All were beautifully prepared. The service was great. We all loved the faux gras soufflette. We were looking for a special occasion meal and this restaurant wet our expectations.Special Features:
- Gorgeou presentation delish soufflélikegoodfoodanywhereDined on 8/31/2014The presentation of all the food was spectacular. Of note the vanilla lobster - a perfectly picked lobster served with its shell but the meat, pasta and veggies arranged in the shape of a lobster with the claw meat as the claws. We really enjoyed the soufflé - each of us ordered a different one which was over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French CuisineAliCatVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had an outstanding experience at Bonaparte. The service was excellent, and the food was delicious. We highly recommend the tasting menu. The filet mignon was amazing. The seating area we were in was, by far, the nicest. It was in the back under a beautiful skylight.Special Features:
- French cuisine at it's bestSwrocketVIPDined on 8/29/2014I visited Montreal with my wife and two kids (10 and 8) and booked this restaurant using open table. The service we received was top notch, they were very friendly and easy with the kids and the menu had a lot of choice (we took al la carte), so we went back again the next night (by request of the kids) with equally good results. In particular the Duck breast and the french onion soup were amazing, as was the desert combo (symphony). My wife had the veal medallions and the Dover Sole, both of which were excellent. If you find yourself in old port Montreal, this place is a MUST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabfoodDined on 8/26/2014We eat at this restaurant every time we visit Montreal. The service is extremely professional and the food is always superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSomeoneSomewhereVIPDined on 8/26/2014Bonaparte could be the best French restaurant not actually in France. (No, I haven't tried them all, but I've tried many French restaurants across North America - and in Paris as well - and keep returning to Bonaparte.) Outstanding food, reasonably priced on the table d'hote menu or even a la carte. This is probably the sixth time I've eaten here, and I keep returning. This time I brought my family!Special Features:
- ExcellentOnlythebestDined on 8/23/2014One of the top restaurants in all of Montreal. The food is of exceptional quality, flavour and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in a whilegluttonDined on 8/23/2014I am very pleased with my experience at Bonaparte. The a la carte and tasting menus looked great (quite large for an upscale restaurant), but my party opted for the three course option. In terms of price, it is a great deal, and the menu included roughly five options per course. Everyone in my party ordered something different, and we all loved our food. The atmosphere was equally compelling. We were seated in a beautiful, cozy room. Intimate lighting for dinner time, but with natural light coming from the ceiling. Some artwork and candles lined the walls. The noise level was just right. You hear peoples' voices, but not their conversations. Well-paced service, very friendly staff. Then you're in the old port for post-meal stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itBravoandieVIPDined on 8/23/2014We dined here Sat Aug 23, 2014 for dinner. I ordered opted to order ala carte, my dining partner got the pixe priz menu. The restaurant was full, but that is no excuse for the horrible service we received from our waiter. The rest of the staff was fantastic and attentive. The lobster bisque was tasteless but the seafood gnocchi delicious. I had lamb chops which were good, not great. I never write reviews, but unless you plan on doing the large, I think it's 8 courses, tasting menu- skip this place.Special Features:
- A real Montreal experience!RichDined on 8/22/2014From the moment you walk in you feel like you could be in Europe! The staff is excellent and we lucked in to a private table with a window view! All the food was great but the Mushroom Ravioli was the superstar! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent, excellent, excellent!!! Every aspect of our experience was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bonaparte Restaurant excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food art with amazing taste! End of night asked for a taxi for my 88 year old Mom and myself and they asked the taxi company to enter the facility and assist with "the client". They go above and beyond....my Mom was thrilled with the evening!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by a friend. She had gone there years ago. It was easy to find. We had a reservation and were seated right away. Our seat was 1 removed from the front window seats. It was OK. I wasnt blown away by the atmosphere. But the waiter we had was excellent. My husband said he was the best waiter he'd ever had. We choose the tasting menu. Everything was delicious. They dont rush you, but everything also came out in a timely manner. Overall an excellent dinner and experience.Special Features:
- A beautiful eveningMichaelDined on 8/15/2014Friday evening we visited Bonaparte for our first meal out since moving to Montréal two weeks ago. Wow. We had a delightful experience, enjoyed the fireplace and ambience and the setting in the Old Port. The meal was perfect. The timing of the courses allowed us time to interact and enjoy each other and the evening. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitermarinersDined on 8/15/2014Our waiter was border-line rude and uninformed. As usual, the food was very good but the waiter was a put-off. Will probably go there again; hopefully, we won't get the same jerk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014We loved the food, our waiter was excellent. We went back for a late night dessert the following evening. It was divine!Special Features:
- Trad French Food in Old TownTape342Dined on 8/10/2014We were looking for a traditional French dining experience, hoping to avoid the haute cuisine that seems to be the current trend in dining. In short, Bonaparte served the finest multiple course French meal I have ever experienced - in North America, Asia or Europe. The staff was exceptional, the dining area elegant and quiet, and the food was beyond anything expectation I could've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!MiguelMadridDined on 8/9/2014Great fine french dinner in Vieux Montréal. Everything was great, except for the noise. There was a large group in a table next to ours, and they talked too loud, which made it a little less charming than it could have been.Special Features:
- Delightful French GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014As non-French speaking tourists, this gem of a restaurant in Montreal was delightful. The staff was professional and accommodating without the typical stuffiness we've experienced in other French restaurants. My husband and I chose the À table sous l’empire tasting menu (a menu based on dinners served at the ‘Tuileries’ and Joséphine’s Château Malmaison in 1809 ) along with the wine pairing option. Our children ordered a la carte. The food was beautifully prepared and not over-complicated. If we ever visit the Montreal area again, Bonaparte will most assuredly be part of our dining itinerary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendJohnSDined on 8/8/2014Really glad we booked at Bonaparte for our weekend away in Montreal. We chose the reasonably-priced tasting menu and enjoyed an excellent array of tasty and well presented dishes. Service was very welcoming and some nice half-bottles allowed us to vary our wines accordingly. Considering the prices compared to other top Montreal restaurants, Bonaparte is a little gem. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalLoveFineDiningDined on 8/6/2014Excellent quality food and service. Would certainly eat here again.Special Features:
- The whole packageprimpysheepDined on 8/4/2014My husband and I had dinner here on our anniversary and it was the perfect meal to honor our special day. I requested a table in one of the four little window alcoves, so we looked out onto the street. The servers were polite, attentive and accommodating. The food was fantastic and there was amazing attention to detail--for example, even the garnishes were lightly salted and dressed with olive oil. It was a pleasant surprise! My lobster with vanilla muscat sauce was divine, and the kitchen expertly translated my husband's ambiguous request for his filet to be cooked "between medium and medium rare." They nailed it and he was very happy. I should note that we also stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and the entire experience was fantastic.Special Features:
- Definitely not a WaterloobobbarbaraVIPDined on 8/3/2014A classic Classic French restaurant located in the incomparable Old Town. A must if you must have great cuisine, service and ambience at at a cost that is acceptably high. But you absolutely get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal2docsDined on 8/2/2014The chefs special tasting menu had collection that were over-the-top. Service was almost perfect A little pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was consistenly greatDucklingVIPDined on 7/31/2014This is a 'Must Go' restaurant. I have been to Bonaparte more than 5 times. Both food and service have consistently been great. I ordered the tasting menu every time. The menu didn't change much yet I will continue to have the tasting menu. My favourites are foie gras crème burlee and chocolate soufflé.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysGatorfanDined on 7/29/2014This restaurant is a perfect spot for a romantic dining experience in old Montreal. Ask for a window seat with your reservation - usually window seats are for two people. Food is outstanding. Have been a couple times and first time was three years ago, both were excellent. Service is exceptional as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will not be dissappointed!faroutandaboutDined on 7/28/2014Visiting Montreal for a congress I selected Bonaparte for a dinner with some friends from US and Portugal. We were very impressed with the food, service and selection of wines. Definitely will return next time I am in Montreal and would highly recommend to any visitor to the city. Located walking distance from the Congress Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingrt54Dined on 7/26/2014The reservation was in place with excellent communication from Bonaparte. The food and service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food however...IsThisAShifterCarDined on 7/26/2014We had made a reservation for 2 for our anniversary and showed up dressed to kill and expecting the best Montreal had to offer. We were quickly seated, despite there being several other open tables, at a four-top adjacent to the servers station and essentially in the doorway to the back room where a small wedding reception was being held clinking glasses and all. We asked to be moved and with what seemed like some reluctance we were placed at a very nice table in another room. We had already heard te specials and received water so out server was slightly thrown off and the rest of the night seemed slightly uncomfortable. The food was excellent and would have been exactly what we were looking for had we been seated there originally.Special Features: