Bon Rouge Bistro
611 Courtney Street
Victoria, BC V8W 1B7Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$30 and under
Bon Rouge Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bonrouge.ca/
- Phone: 250-220-8008
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Smid
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a selection of group menus for larger parties which can be customized depending on the guest's needs. Options to book a portion of or the entire restaurant are available again depending on the number of guests and the menu required.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Cole 250-220-8008
- Entertainment: Every Sunday evening, we feature a local performer who offers a selection of gypsy jazz, acoustic blues or folk.
- Cross Street: Gordon Street
- Public Transit: Major bus route 1 block away from the restaurant. As well, in the summer months, we are on the direct route of the free downtown shuttle moving tourists around the downtown core.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Ample street parking available in front of restaurant and in the near vicinity.
5 level parkade also available across the street
A word from Bon Rouge Bistro
Just steps away from Victoria's spectacular Inner Harbour, Bon Rouge French Bistro is located in a renovated 1920's building. Bon Rouge can best be described as French inspired with a West Coast spin. With a definite appeal to passionate eaters and commitment to local, seasonal fresh produce, seafood, game, cheese and wine, Bon Rouge promises to shine as one of Victoria's brightest dining establishments. Indulge the senses, relish the food and soak up the ambience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bon Rouge Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Celebration for SixOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013Our group of 6 had a fantasic experience at Bon Rouge. We made reservations but still needed to wait approx. 20 minutes. The restaurant addressed the incovenience by offering the first round of drinks on the house. After that, we indulged in amazing food and recieved top-notch service.Special Features:
- My wife and I celebrated ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013My wife and I celebrated our 59th wedding anniversary at Bon Rouge Bistro with our daughter last Wednesday, and we were thoroughly delighted with every aspect of that experience, from the food to the service to the ambience. Thank you for making everything so special!Special Features:
- Excellent and friendly service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2013Excellent and friendly service. Flavourful food and well presented. Prix fixe is an excellent valueSpecial Features:
- Had eaten here once beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Had eaten here once before and was impressed so we had company to meet downtown so my husband and I recommended meeting at Bon Rouge. Was not disappointed. Good service and the food and drink were divine.Special Features:
- Excellent menu and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Excellent menu and delicious consistently fabulous meals. I have enjoyed both lunches and dinners and keep coming back. Seafood so fresh and enjoyable. Rave reviews for the scallops with pork belly; moules frites and kale appy were delicious too! Well done!!Special Features:
- This was my third visit toFoodfinderDined on 3/9/2013This was my third visit to Bon Rouge. Arrived for my reservation on time. It was a Saturday. I had requested a booth for me and my daughters, who had never been to Bon Rouge. The booth was the last one closest to the grill. Smokey and noisey. Only four other tables occuppied and service was mediocre. Drinks ordered finally arrived with meals. King crab salad is now more shrimp than crab. Chicken Goat cheese Lasagne was old and cold. Sent it back for another piece and got a 5% discount on bill. Based on this visit, I am not going back.
- Terrific as usual. Food,ambianceLinderDined on 3/7/2013Terrific as usual. Food,ambiance superb. Our waiter was a little lively.Special Features:
- The experience was nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2013The experience was nothing special and it is too large a space for the feeling of cosiness that I associate with a true bistro restaurant. It wasn't bad - a friendly atmosphere, decent enough food & very good service . It just wasn't special in any way, at least for my husband & me.
- Sadly we were seated besideOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Sadly we were seated beside a very loud table and right in the middle of the room. The servers kept bumping into the back of our chairs as there was not enough space for a table where they had us. The food was excellent. Service was average. I thought our server was very abrupt and sort of rushed through orders etc. At one point two of our parties dishes were delivered to the wrong table and then when she realized that she took them to the wrong place she picked them up and put them on our table with apologies. I would still go again. This isn't our normal experience when we dine here.Special Features:
- I love Bon Rouge and wouldCryksDined on 2/27/2013I love Bon Rouge and would recommend it to anyone. So cute.Special Features:
- My wife and I were in VictoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013My wife and I were in Victoria to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary. We chose the Bon Rouge for it's French flair and menu. The meal and the ambiance were wonderful and our waiter, Scotty, was exceptional. We'll definitely go back when we're in Victoria again.Special Features:
- We were a group of 6 and allcomptonDined on 2/20/2013We were a group of 6 and all enjoyed their meal. Service was good and the wine suggested was very goodSpecial Features:
- Absolutely superb! LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013Absolutely superb! Lovely location, impeccable design and low lighting, delectable menu, delish cocktails, friendly and knowledgabe server...all for a very reasonable price. I really enjoyed my dinner out here with close friends- we were never rushed and the food/service will have us coming back again! Just wish you had a similar spot in Vancouver. ;)Special Features:
- Very Good Food & a Romantic SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Service was good, and the food was very good (Steak frites and creme brulee) to excellent (trout). There is a limited number of dishes on the menu, which allows restaurant to focus on preparing them all well. We really enjoyed the romantic atmosphere with French decor touches - the dining room is located in a heritage building and features large windows and dark wood walls. Dinner was by candlelight, and though the dining room was crowded, noise was moderate, allowing conversation at normal volume.Special Features:
- Was looking for somethingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013Was looking for something different and decided to try it. Very noisy and crowded. Servers were run off their feet. They could have used more staff. Food was good but not memorable. Prices were not bad, but could have been slightly lower. Extensive wine list, but it is a French restaurant so it is to be expected. Overall, a good but not a great experience. Perhaps Saturday night is not the best time to go because of the crowds. If we go next time we will try mid week to compare.Special Features:
- very good food; limited menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013very good food; limited menu, which is a good thing, with specials being excellent. busy waiters, but good knowledge on menu items. somewhat chaotic reservation schedule, relying on customers finishing on time. we had to forego our booth and settle for an open room table, with a considerable amount of noise in the main room. this was a distraction, but didn't really have a negative impact on the dining experience. we were well pleased with the meal, service, wine list and overall impression.Special Features:
- Bon Rouge gets better every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2013I've been to Bon Rouge Bistro a few times, and each time my experience improves. I made a reservation (obviously) through Open Table, and sometimes restaurants don't look at the included notes -- this time I requested to be seated somewhere warm (last time we were near a door that kept opening and I get quite chilly). Unlike many restaurants, they actually read the notes and seated us right next to the fire. Our server was friendly and prompt and the food was perfect. The only thing I'd change? Butter for the bread would be room temperature in stead of cold. :-)Special Features:
- Bon Rouge Bistro is excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Excellent food, service and ambiance, can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Not our first time to BonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Not our first time to Bon Rouge, it always impresses! This was Valentine's Day, and they did a great job. Service was a little bit slow, but it was packed with reservations and they were very attentive when they did get to us. A Victoria classic, you definitely need to check it out!andrSpecial Features:
- This place was wonderful forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013This place was wonderful for Valentine's Day - dark and romantic, but playful because they put red balloons everywhere! The escargot was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten, but I was a bit disappointed with the duck; the meat was delicious, but the bean in sauce side that came with it left something to be desired. Overall, I would love to return to try more of their dishes. The service was quick and friendly (especially on a special occasion), and it was a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- We had a very special ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We had a very special Valentines dinner at Bon Rouge. The staff really made an effort to set the ambiance and it showed. The service was amazing and the food was honestly some of the best I've ever had. Very impressed with our experience.Special Features:
- Our first visit was lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2013Our first visit was lunch at 1:00, not overly busy however two of the specials we were originally told about were not available when it was time to order a few minutes later . Odd. The menu did not inspire, and I would have to say disappointing after all the good comments I had heard from friends. Hesitant to try dinner.
- great experience, exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013great experience, exceptional knowledgeable service waiting tables, above expectations food quality and tasteSpecial Features:
- Bon Rouge is Amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013Bon Rouge is a wonderful place. Our food was wonderful and our server was just excellent. He was great to talk to and helped make our 5 Year Anniversary dinner special by making suggestions about the menu and truly going out of his way for us. As far as the food, this is the closest to real French dining I've had since I was in Paris. And as our server was from Paris, he understood when I mentioned "This creme brulee is the best I've had since Chez Clemont." The lighting was romantic, though just a *touch* too dim. Overall a great restaurant. If you're looking up places to go and juggling between a few, definitely select this one, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- the salad special I had wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013the salad special I had was overpriced and not that good. The main course was average. I wasn't impressed.
- This was our 3rd visit inpatsyjDined on 1/31/2013This was our 3rd visit in the last 12 months and it is consistently very good each time. The 1st was Dine Around in 2012, the 2nd Mother 's Day 2012 when many restaurants disappoint and the last for my Mother's birthday. Like e local food focus and attentive service by staff and quality of food.Special Features:
- well rounded and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2013Loved our recent business lunch at Bon Rouge. Fabulous soups, salads, moules frites and crepes. Very French but not cloying, chic but also romantic -- good for business or pleasure. I will definitely go again when visiting Victoria.Special Features:
- I had brunch there on theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/13/2013I had brunch there on the occasion of my Mother's 95th birthday. She is very "with it" and enjoyed the meal & ambiance very much.Special Features:
- A brunch favorite.LinderDined on 1/13/2013. When in Victoria, having brunch at Bon Rouge is a must. The menu items are unique, full of flavors and texture and the presentation is top notch. Enjoy this affordable 5 star dining spot.Special Features:
- Friendly and welcoming. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/9/2013Friendly and welcoming. Service was attentive and friendly, maybe a little too casual but that seems to be the style these days. The food was good. The waiter warned me off the beef bourguignon but I ordered it anyway and he was right. It was OK but a bit dry. My fault. The fish my companions had was excellent, all three dishes: trout, scallops and salmon. The wine selection was limited but good with a range of styles and prices. The waiter was knowledgeable about the wines and had excellent suggestions. We had a relaxed and enjoyable evening. The restaurant was quiet but it was a Wednesday night. I have seen in on other times when it gets very busy. All in all, we had a very good evening. The price was reasonable. RecommendedSpecial Features:
- My friend and I had a fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013My friend and I had a fabulous night. Our server was great at reading our energy and really knew the food and wine and what went well together. It's January so we didn't eat outside, but their patio looks lovely and I will definitely be spending time there in the summer :)Special Features:
- Food was medium and serviceAlexDined on 1/4/2013Food was medium and service was poor. quite disappointing. the place looks amazing and located in the heart of downtown. but if you are looking for good French restaurants, you should probably go to the other ones. (nor far from this location). will not visit there again.
- Friendly staff and good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/30/2012Friendly staff and good service. Excellent value for money. Food was tasty, imaginative and fresh.Special Features:
- Our service and dinners wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/27/2012Our service and dinners were lovely. The pork cheeks dish was one of the best I've tasted in awhile. Unfortunately, we were seated near the kitchen, and it became very smoky...unpleasantly so. We hurried to finish and leave. Otherwise, a great meal.Special Features:
- Victoria Fine DiningRobertDined on 12/25/2012Near Courtney and Government St in downtown Victoria, Bon Rouge is a fantastic little French bistro near the harbour. The food is excellent, with reasonable prices to very high quality food. The restaurant also has great prix fixe deals, and excellent holiday food. My wife and I stopped in one night, made a reservation for the Christmas dinner and were very impressed with the food. They also have a good amount of Sherry and Port for after dinner, as well as excellent coffee. The lamb was particularly fantastic, and the chocolate mousse was delectable! On Christmas, some of the temporary servers had a bit of attitude, but otherwise the food and service were excellent!Special Features:
- was extremely expensive splurgepaulaDined on 12/25/2012was extremely expensive splurge for Christmas Day, fixed price menu. while meal was very good, not exceptional in quality nor service at $65 per person for only the meal (3 course). Charming atmosphere. Would return but not on a fixed price agenda.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)SeatrvlrDined on 12/25/2012Can't really provide a full experience review. As this visit was on Christmas day, restaurant had a set menu for the day. (this is a common Canadian thing). What we did have was excellent. Mustard glazed prime rib, seasoned puréed potatoes, salad, wonderful bread pudding (mmm caramel sauce).Special Features:
- Food and service good table notRoseDined on 12/24/2012I made dinner reservations in advance for Christmas eve dinner for my husband and me. Our reservations were early at 5 PM. When we arrived at the restaurant there were a few people there and lots of open tables. The hostess proceeded to sit us at a table where there is a hallway between dining rooms and high traffic area. I shook my head wondering what the heck is this person thinking? We requested a different table a got one right away though not in the real dining room. Service was great and so was the food. As we concluded our meal, the restaurant never filled up with people and many good tables still available. Again, are hostesses so oblivious that we really wanted to pay high dollar for our meal and sit in a high traffic area?Special Features:
- We have been several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2012We have been several times & Bon Rouge is consistently good.Special Features:
- Amazing food! Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2012Amazing food! Great service. Loved the atmosphere and would go again in a minute :)Special Features: