Bon Femme Cafe
66 W Lincoln Way
Valparaiso, IN 46383Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bon Femme Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bonfemme.com/
- Phone: 2195310612
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eddie Luick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: A full catering menu is available.
A word from Bon Femme Cafe
Elegance in a casual setting with warm and friendly service. One of Valparaiso premier restaurantsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bon Femme Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
- Nice atmosphereGingerDined on 5/21/2014Enjoyed a girls night out evening at this restaurant. When we first arrived it was very noisy because there was a middle school french class dining there - pretty loud for the first hour! However, once they left, the ambience was much better. Our waiter was not friendly at all - I think he was stressed out from serving all those kids. He served everything in a timely manner, but it was apparent he was in a very bad mood. Overall, we had a great time eating and drinking at Bon Femme and I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service/Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014Three people in our party and the very rude and flustered hostess offered us a table for two with an extra chair in the aisle. When we refused (since we had confirmed reservations) and decided to go elsewhere, a very kind female server offered to seat us in the bar at a fourtop. It was fine and should have been offered first. The waiter (male) ended up being very slow. We were told they were out of 2 bottles of wine before deciding on a third choice. Then he brought dessert menus and immediately after brought the check (at least one of us wanted dessert/coffee). It wasn't my first time with poor service, but we have dined here several times for the food, which is amazing.Special Features:
- Exactly what we hoped forMasterfulDined on 5/17/2014We needed something nice and romantic for our anniversary but we also needed something local. Bon Femme blew us away. The service was professional and you could easily see that it was not just another college student trying to make ends meat. The food was some of the best I have had in the region, also clearly prepared by a professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- are there new owners?kawdaleDined on 5/17/2014First of all, please excuse my French. didn't have my boulibay on the menu. Waiter came back 2 times to say they were out of something. ordered extra side of veggies trio, beans, squash and I don't know because I got mostly beans, one piece of squash and no other item. Ordered sweet taters, you were all out and they were still on the bill when we left, very disappointing experience for one of my favorite places. Sat at the piano, asked not to be, because the chairs were too tall, hostess said they were booked solid and there were at least 4 tables available. We did have reservations.
- You've got to be kidding mePicassoDined on 5/17/2014When we arrived we wanted to have an aperitif outside and were rudely told we could not move any chairs or tables, so we decided to go inside. The host and our future waiter were arguing about our reservation. This was all done in front of us. The waiter was not pleasant at all and should find another profession. We also found a hair in my daughter's chicken curry dish. He whisked it away and said a light apology. 15 mins later her new dish arrived and we assumed it was hair free. The dish was not discounted. The food was actually fairly good as was the price. It is too bad the service ruined the dinner and hampered our celebration. Would not recommend it due to service. Rude waiters cannot make up for good food!
- catchup lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014I met an old friend for a late lunch and we spent quite a bit of time catching up.. never once did we feel rushed (there were only 2 tables due to the time of our lunch). The service was great and so was the food.Special Features:
- Great value for classy diningTapsygirlDined on 5/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner at the Bon Femme very much! I had the spicy curry chicken and it was spiced perfectly, and the chicken was cooked very well. My husband at the meatloaf. He said it was delicious. We thought the bread was outstanding! However, I thought the little butter packets kind of cheapened the amazing bread. The atmosphere was very nice, quiet and romantic. The food was excellent and it was reasonably priced, which made it a great value. Our server was very polite and the service was paced perfectly. We split a piece of the chocolate peanut butter pie which was fantastic!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2014The quality of the food is always outstanding over many years. The server was very friendly, upbeat and caring. Finally the decor is just what you want for a special dinner.Special Features:
- Longing for Bon FemmeJumbojellybeansDined on 3/15/2014We travel to Valparaiso for business two times a year. Bon Femme is ALWAYS on our list of things to do! We love the food selections, the wait staff is always great and the ambience is always a changing experience. The owner always greets his guests and makes your evening a special event! I can't say enough great things about this place! Love it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back For MoreTootsDined on 3/15/2014Bon Femme is one of our favorite restaurants in Valparaiso. We expect and almost always get good food and service. This past Saturday we both ordered steaks, one an 8 oz tenderloin and the other the rib eye. The rib eye was too fatty and somewhat grisly. That's the first time I was every disappointed. I took half home (as is usual for me) and tried to finish the next day but could not eat it. I should have said something that night but we were enjoying everything else - the drinks and sides were wonderful. I'll definitely go back again but will speak up if I'm not 100% satisfied. The wait staff is always friendly and professional. I know if I had said something I could have had good results - that's my error. The decor is beautifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the seating too tightMinnieDined on 2/22/2014In a small section of the restaurant, there are a few 2-person tables that are too close to each other and we could hear the conversations on both sides of us. Other than that, it was overall great and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No big ComplaintsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014The only complaint I have about my most recent visit was that we ordered a bottle of wine and if I am not mistaken proper wine etiquette when ordering a bottle is for the server to offer the wine bottle for visual inspection, the server should then remove the cork and put it on the table in front of you, then the server should then pour a small amount of wine into your glass. However my serve did not present me the cork and it took a while for him to find the cork. To me I did not get the chance to properly inspect the wine and did not appreciate that too much. Other than that everything was great. I do not know if the server just was not trained properly or if his mind was elsewhere but the cork thing bothered me someSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceValentineLove14Dined on 2/14/2014This place is very nice. Food is really great and the service was good as well. Nothing to say negative about Bon Femme as my first time visiting and definitely wont be my last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in a small townYoderDined on 2/3/2014Valparaiso has a surprisingly good restaurant selection for such a small town, and Bon Femme is one of the best. I have never had a bad meal or bad service there.Special Features:
- Great PlaceNiteonthetownDined on 1/31/2014This was my first time eating here after having several of my friends recommend it. The fish n' chips were awesome! The martini's went down really smooth as well. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant was closed!ValporeviewerDined on 1/28/2014We have used Open Table to book this restaurant in the past, but when we showed up last Thursday night (with 2 of my husband's clients), they were closed. According to the hours on the door, they should have been open. We like Bon Femme very much but were disappointed that the system allowed a reservation to be made when the restaurant was closed. I'm not sure if this was a Bon Femme issue or an Open Table issue but an email or phone call alerting us to the closure would have been appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014My wife and I have been eating here for 8-9 years. The service and food have always been very good. Bon Femme never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Foodcj40Dined on 1/23/2014We ordered the spinach salad and stuffed chicken. The salad was ok. It was very bland tasting, so I put a lot of salt and pepper on it and that seemed to help a little. The stuffed chicken came with steamed vegetables and wild rice. The rice tasted like it came straight out of a box, very nasty. The vegetables had a waxy citrus taste that left a bad taste in your mouth. The chicken was so bland, dry and just gross. The sauce tasted like they opened up a can and poured it on the plate. Our food was barely warm as well. The server was very nice. If we would have had to pay for this out of pocket, we would have complained but, because it was a gift card we just let it go. Would never dine here again or recommend to anyone.
- Nice spot in ValpodrdukVIPDined on 1/11/2014Pleasant dinner Saturday night---cost moderate, food well prepared, clean, friendly service--give it a trySpecial Features:
- OK, but not the best in townJonoDined on 1/3/2014First, the food: a lobster/garlic/cherry tomato pasta that was very tasty; my date had a 6-oz. filet which was perfectly cooked but lacked seasoning. Next, the wine list was very good; we enjoyed a nice Viognier and a decent Cab. Unfortunately, our waitperson poured the Cab into my date's (thank God) empty Viognier glass. Poor technique. Service was glacially slow, a surprise because the restaurant was full, 90% by reservation, so they knew people were coming. . You got the feeling that they were 1-2 waiters short. Not a terrible experience, but there are 4 better choices within walking distance, though only one is as elegant in appearance.Special Features:
- Not badMikeDined on 12/31/2013Service was amazing. Barb was our waitress. Food was alright. Not bad but not great. I ordered a toasted almond martini which was tasty. My next drink was a mint chocolate martini which I sent back it tasted like water and scope. Barb brought back a toasted almond and assured it would be good and it was. If I am going to spend over $100 on dinner I expect it to be worth it. Unfortunately this just wasn't.
- I love Bon Femme. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/30/2013I love Bon Femme. The food is always outstanding with great specials, especially the 1/2 price bottle night on Monday with a piano player to add to the dining experience. The only reason I didn't give it five stars overall is that our server poured our second bottle of wine without allowing us to taste it first and it wasn't good, so unfortunately the benefit of 1/2 price bottle was lost since no one drank the second bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service so-soCyndaDined on 12/23/2013While the food was outstanding, the service was not. We had to ask for one of the cocktails that had been forgotten, ask for bread (which they are known for), ask for mayo (that was asked for when order placed) and ask for the check. It was a late lunch, so it was not too busy and I feel if you have to ask for four different things the service is certainly lacking. Upon leaving the owner was at the host stand and did not say thank you, or happy holidays. He is know to be arrogant - and he is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tickle you taste buds at Bon FemmeJumbojellybeansDined on 12/14/2013We get to Valparaiso two times a year. And Bon Femme restaurant is ALWAYS on our list of places to eat! The owner greets all of his guests with great enthusiasm and truly cares to get to know each. Then there are the drinks....the bartenders are well trained to know their trade. We have never been disappointed with the wait staff. They have that element of personal service down to a tee! The atmosphere always stays fresh and new. The menu really changes and there are always wonderful dishes from which to choose. If you are headed to or thru Valparaiso anytime soon. Be sure to look up this gem in the downtown, just a short trip off of Us 30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What It Use to BeFoodEDined on 12/14/2013Had not been to Bonne Femme since it changed ownership a few years ago. Noticeable difference in the menu, food quality, service and ambiance provided by previous ownership. Dined with group of six. Four were not satisfied with quality and portions provided in their meals. Service was very poor - waiter seemed confused and detached from guests. Drink orders were botched as well as billing. Thought the restaurant was noisy too. Not a pleasant evening all in all. Most likely will not return. Too many other good restaurants in the area to waste another evening there. Disappointing when remembering food and service provided by previous owners at that location - Clayton's and original Bonne Femme.
- favorite dining spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013Great dining spot downtown. Good variety of appetizers and salads. Fresh fish everyday. Waitstaff courteous and knowledgable..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb shank was great; whitefishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013Lamb shank was great; whitefish was not so good. After dinner drinks and dessert very nice.Special Features:
- Great food, attitude questionableLovesfoodandwineDined on 11/29/2013Great ambiance, food was excellent. Waiter was disconnected, seemingly rude and we felt like we were a bother. Owner was pretentious, especially his take on his wine selection. Must say the bartender was outstanding, welcoming and warm. Live piano music was a real plus. Aside from a snooty owner and rude waiter, I would probably return for the bar experience and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We specifically chose thisRJPierceDined on 11/25/2013We specifically chose this restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. The staff was extremely accommodating. Monisa served us both professionally and courteously with a demeanor that was friendly and personal. The owner walked by our table and Monisa introduced us. My wife's cosmo was so good, I asked the barman for the recipe so I could make them at home. Gratiously, he wrote it out and delivered it to our table personally. The evening was enhanced by the piano player located in the bar area. His music was beautiful while not overwhelming the intimate, bistro type restaurant. Requests were freely accepted and played flawlessly. Overall, a perfect evening of private celebration. Thank you Bon Femme! Ron & Janie PierceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Parisian ExperienenceparisdinerDined on 11/23/2013The food was nothing sort of extraordinary for all courses. The wait staff was quite friendly and provided great service. It was a birthday celebration and was noted as such in the reservation. However, nothing special occurred and our server didn't notice it until the end of our dining experience. This was disappointing. However, the food was great which made the mistake less noticeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal and superb serviceMusicDined on 11/23/2013Every time we dine at Bon Femme, we try different dishes. My husband and myself are both always happy with the meals. The service is outstanding and the relaxed feeling provides a very pleasant evening out. The noise level tends to be high which does create a problem for my husband since he wears hearing aides, but we keep going back because of the diverse menu, outstanding service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't wow usOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2013We were at the restaurant a few days ago to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I wouldn't necessarily say our experience was bad but it wasn't impressive either. The waiter was not rude but not every pleasant either. A few of the items were already over by the time we got there. Also the bottle of wine we had asked for wasn't available either. The food was good in parts. The crab cakes were slightly under -seasoned but tasted good with the sauces. The shrimp appetizer was pretty good. My husband had a filet mignon that he'd asked for medium-rare and it ended up being well-done. My salmon entree was excellent - the fish was cooked perfect. Overall a very average experience given the fact that this is a pretty highly rated restaurant in town.Special Features:
- Great Night Out with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Found this restaurant online so was worried about what we would find. I loved that I could make my reservation online. We arrived and were seated immediately. The food and service was outstanding. Several vegetarian options! It is a little pricey but definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Very niceAmazingDined on 11/2/2013Very nice restaurant with great food. Not kid friendly which was perfect for date night with my lovely wife! Would recommend for anyone looking for a nice restaurant to get away from the hustle of lifeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food. I had theBrittDined on 10/23/2013Excellent Food. I had the Osso Bucco and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it once wasLocalfrequentcustomerDined on 10/21/2013It seems that Bon Femme is on auto pilot on a slow descending course. What was once one of the premier and most consistent restaurants in town has turned into a hit or miss venue. Maybe it depends on which chef or manager is present but i have had multiple disappointing meals where once i could be confident that the experience would be excellent. No longer. The worst part is that management doesn't seem to care and multiple personal contacts regarding specific meals not meeting expectations are left unanswered. It seems Bon Femme is coasting downhill on past reputation. A shame. I no longer recommend bon femme.
- Tasty food, but surly serviceLuvsomefoodDined on 10/12/2013Having eaten there once prior and enjoying that experience, I really didn't expect to be so disappointed this time around. We were promptly greeted and shown to our table. We didn't have to wait very long to receive our meals and drinks, so that aspect of the service was fine. However, it was how our server talked down to my husband and insulted our friends that left a sour taste in my mouth for the establishment. The quality of the food was very good. It's unfortunate that the service was terrible. Too bad her surly attitude had to wreck what would have otherwise been a very positive experience. Hopefully, Bon Femme will refrain from tolerance of that kind of behavior and maybe then, we would return.
- ResturantCgalloDined on 10/5/2013The place was good but the service could have been better. Other than that great food and its not too expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet mid-weekjimbobDined on 9/25/2013Went for anniversary, and had to eat early (5PM) place was emtpy as expected midweek,early . wait staff adequate, friendly. not too knowledgable about the dishes/wine pairings. room is low light, romantic. my lambchops were a little done (ordered medium rare, got medium in some parts) tempura lobster was great. would try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellentMalc39Dined on 9/20/2013Excellent food, excellent service from a superb waitress and we had an enjoyable evening and will be back. Thanks for a great evening and a good menu / food selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.