Bombay Spice Grill & Wine
450 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Bombay Spice Grill & Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bombayspice.com/
- Phone: 3124777657
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM, Saturday & Sunday: 12:30pm to 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Sunil Kumar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sit back and let Chef Sunil and his culinary team entertain your guests, we accommodate from a simple appetizer dessert to full a la carte off site catering functions.
- Special Events: Happy Hour happening at bombay Spice Monday to Friday from 2pm to 5pm enjoy our Happy hour food selections at a 50% discount
A word from Bombay Spice Grill & Wine
The cuisine of Bombay Spice Grill & Wine focuses on healthy, quality and seasonal ingredients, with menus featuring all regions of India. The restaurant offers a wide selection of spices, flat breads, rustic curry dishes, simple yet flavorful vegetarian and vegan preparations, and Indian Specialties with contemporary healthy twists. We also feature house made desserts!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bombay Spice Grill & Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good food with Vegan optionsOpenTable Diner Since 1990VIPDined on 9/17/2013They have a great build your own that canbe vegan. YummI would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable ConsistencyMeeTooVIPDined on 7/29/2013We eat there regularly and we are pleased to get what we expect along with pleasant service.
- Consistently goodSosoDined on 7/27/2013I love Indian food and have found this chicken masala to be excellent. The chicken korma is delicious as well. I've gone a few times now and will continue to return. The food is great, service is a bit slow/un-aggressive and drinks are just ok. I also recommend the samosa and pita stuffed with potato/veg appetizers. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotILoveFoodDined on 7/25/2013The food is fresh, delicious, inexpensive, and I think it's one of our healthier options in the area. It always looks and smells clean. I always order bhel puri, and usually share another appetizer or salad with my husband. The service was great at my most recent reservation. That's awesome, cause I was with my out-of-town boss. Good job! You made me look smart!Special Features:
- Constantly ConsistantMeeTooVIPDined on 7/22/2013Consistent good food and service keeps us coming back
- spice was too hotlittlemissvioletDined on 7/14/2013i did not have the best experience. i traveled from milwaukee and have had an amazing meal here before, so i was very excited to return. we ordered two dishes, one being the vindaloo. we knew the vindaloo would be hot, so we ordered the other medium for a little balance. i like a little kick in my food and can handle some spice. my medium was just as hot as the vindaloo and both were so spicy we couldn't enjoy either of them. our waitress hardly came out to check on us, so i pushed through and ate what i could and didn't bother trying to send it back.
- An Indian Delight!SalCVIPDined on 7/4/2013Easily one of the best Indian restaurants in Chicago. Delicious, aromatic food (try the Lentil Tower as a starter), succulent meats, strong cocktails and friendly service. Especially enjoyed the opportunity to build our own entrees and the expert guidance from our server. This is exactly what Indian food should be at very reasonable prices. Loved the Bollywood music videos playing in the background!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprised...!!!ErvMelJoyDined on 7/3/2013Food was great! Healthy options were a plus! Tasted their lamb and chicken. The portions were a nice size and my fiancee' and I shared 2 appetizers and an entree. We had food left over. Definitely money well spent and the fact that we had the restaurant practically to ourselves was a huge plus. Everyone was at american restaurants for the 4th of July. I definitely recommend this place to anyone in search of healthy food choices and indian food. Rachel was great and what service should be like every time one dines out.Special Features:
- Worked for usOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2013Chicago for a conference. On a Saturday night a group of 9 academics from 5 different countries with 2 vegetarians among them wanted to go out to dinner together. Where to find a restaurant that would produce a table for 9 and food for vegetarians and meat lovers alike? Bombay Spice Grill worked for us, though I was not impressed with my lentil dish (lentils weren't cooked all the way through). The restaurant was virtually empty when we arrived at 7:30 pm on a Saturday night in June. I like the idea of being able to create your own dish, it was just that the dish wasn't cooked well and the seasoning lacked the brightness of Indian flavors. As I said for a large group with different tastes, it worked...Special Features:
- Healthy yet tasty and calorieToralVIPDined on 6/5/2013Healthy yet tasty and calorie conscious north Indian fusion cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast, healthy, and goodMeeTooVIPDined on 5/12/2013Yes we would return. The people there were pleasant and helpful to our party. If you are expecting "traditional" Indian dining it is not however it is a great modern alternative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed their menu last month.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/25/2013Changed their menu last month. All my favorite items are gone, menu now contains bare minumum. I would go somewhere else for Indian food.
- Contempory decor, full bar,DillPickleVIPDined on 3/31/2013Contempory decor, full bar, great menu selection and outstanding food and service! We thought the "Step One, Step Two, Step Three" option on the menu was very creative.Special Features:
- We went early around 5pm,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2013We went early around 5pm, so it was pretty quiet. The food was super flavorful and very fresh. The waitress was very nice and even brought us Indian pickle when we asked, even though it wasn't on the menu.Special Features:
- Food was average. OrderedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/23/2013Food was average. Ordered two dishes (one chicken and one vegetarian) and they both tasted and looked almost identical. However, the hummus appetizer was delicious.
- This is the second visit forLilyTheValleyVIPDined on 2/23/2013This is the second visit for me with an Indian friend. I am surprised the rating is much lower than what I felt from the two experiences. I inclined not to go to Indian for the the cuisine being very high in fat. However, this place prepare authentic Indian food in very healthy way, and I love it! We shared Bhel Puri, Tofu, Eggplant and Mango Salad for lunch. Plenty. The offered shots of chai tea free at the end of the meal. It is a casual place and not fancy. I wish they had a bit more variety of wine for a wine lover like me. I will definitely go back there again, probably for lunch again:-)Special Features:
- Very good food, and (thankfully)NorgeVIPDined on 2/15/2013Very good food, and (thankfully) different than the usual fare. Drinks are delish!
- ATMOSPHERE MORE CASUAL THAN PICTUREOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/31/2013Please ignore ratings above. I had to select to complete this form. We didnt actually dine here. We went, but the actual place was more like a casual store front restaurant and not a nice dining experience for a more upscale evening. I would try this in future for more of a casual night.
- The food was excellent....bewareOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2013The food was excellent....beware of the sevice, they price you high on everything.Special Features:
- Great little indian spotJohnnyDined on 12/9/2012Great food, nice little private place and great locationSpecial Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/24/2012Awesome place, great food, beautiful design and friendly staffSpecial Features:
- I liked the build your ownOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012I liked the build your own premise, made Indian much more approchable. Reservations were honored - table was ready and waiting, which was great!Special Features:
- Healthy tasty authentic IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2012Healthy tasty authentic Indian food with a great ambiance!Special Features:
- Great lunch spot. The CreateOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/2/2012Great lunch spot. The Create an Entree is perfect for someone new to Indian cuisine or for someone who only likes certain ingredients. The sauces are all described in detail, which is helpful. Our group loved the hot chai tea. It was delicious.
- a neat little place with veryjemanhattanVIPDined on 10/24/2012a neat little place with very fresh and tasty Indian food. uses a 'big bowl' type approach to putting your meal together, but it was very painless and the food is prepared to order--which makes it different than the surrounding Indian buffet places that proliferate in River North/West. Great place for a quick business lunch!Special Features:
- The service was awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2012The service was awesome. They were moderately busy but the hostess and our server were very attentive. I highly recommend the appetizers, they are unique - great tasting and visually appealing. Didn't love the entrees, I like the idea of picking your base, sauce and meat/veggies - however it tasted like something I can get out of a prepackage box and then pour over rice. Not enough base (rice, quinoa) and way too saucy, we had to ask for more base. I ordered chicken as my meat and my mom got the veggies, neither of these were actually grilled, just seemed cooked and then drowned in saucy. The entrees looked rushed and sloppy. I would recommend this place but stick to the appetizers!Special Features:
- Brunch on Sunday is the regularlpeteVIPDined on 10/14/2012Brunch on Sunday is the regular menu. I had the make your own -- basmati rice,vindaloo and chicken. Potatoes are automatically added to the vindaloo. It was just the right amount of spice for me, but would be too much for most people I know. I thought everything was delicious and reasonably priced.
- We found the place when weLilyTheValleyVIPDined on 10/14/2012We found the place when we went to the next door restaurant Roka Akor. We were explained that Bombay Spice is owned by the same owner. We loved Roka, so we thought why not checking out the other restaurant? We went out for Sunday lunch. They kept the door open because the outside temperature was just perfect. The decor is upscale, too. Food wise, starting from Behl Puri, it gave me a great first impression. We shared Seared Tofu, Lentil Cake Tower, Vegetable Biryani and Dessert Flight. My most favorite of all was Behl Puri (as on low carb diet, I would ask them to substitute potato to some other veggie next time,) but all tasted great. The server said the chef makes everything fresh. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Many vegetarian option andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2012Many vegetarian option and relatively healthy Indian food. Loved it, will be backSpecial Features:
- Good Indian food and interestingJamesVIPDined on 10/4/2012Good Indian food and interesting choose your sauce, filling, and base concept for entree. The seared eggplant appetizer was outstanding, the service knowledgable and prompt. In fact my only complaint was the noise which was too much by far for a relaxing dinner.
- I love this place. I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/16/2012I love this place. I have been about 10 times now, and it's a great option if you love wine and Indian food but not the heavy ghee-infused Indian food you can find at other places. The service is always friendly, prompt, and excellent!Special Features:
- The food was much lighterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2012The food was much lighter and healthier tasting than traditional Indian fare. The puffed rice appetizer dish was delicious. The build your own style entree menu was good but not amazing and the choices are inherently limited. But the restaurant is a great value for the location.Special Features:
- This was a great find andChicagoDiner07VIPDined on 8/31/2012This was a great find and we will return. They are a 'healthy' version of Indian, not traditional. It is a great neighborhood location to meet friends and enjoy good food.Special Features:
- Tasty and healthy + great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2012Tasty and healthy, great service, ample portions. The menu has several entrees ready to go, and also offers a build-to-order option with a grain choice (basmati, brown rice, or quinoa), vegetables, meats, and a wonderful array of Indian sauces. It's sort of the Indian version of build-your-own pizza, and it works wonderfully. It's also a great place to be vegetarian or even vegan, though there are plenty of meaty choices as well.Special Features:
- Vegan havenFlexifoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2012Bombay Spice has a variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes, as well as meat and fish, that make it a pleasure to eat here. The menu permits one to create the dish with specific rice or bean base, vegetables, meat, and sauce.
- Have a varied menu with allfoodbefreeVIPDined on 8/25/2012Have a varied menu with all the meat stuff too but also very good for dietary restrictions--it doesn't have the dedicated gluten free menu that the one in Phoenix seems to have, but they were very accomodating so we didn't have an issue. Prices are reasonable, place is small but pleasant and clean--food was delicious---I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE FOOD,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE FOOD, SUPERB TASTE, AND SUPER HEALTHY; LOVED THIS PLACE WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT VISIT EVERY TIME I AM IN TOWN - BEST FOOD AT THE MOST AFFORDABLE PRICES AND EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE!Special Features:
- Two visits months apart: FirstOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2012Two visits months apart: First was impressive, in the second, we felt like we were eating the leftovers from the first visit! Nothing was fresh.
- Excellent food and good explanationbuschmanDined on 8/20/2012Excellent food and good explanations of the menu items in case you are unfamiliar with Indian food.Special Features:
- This is our fourth visit toBaby4foodDined on 8/3/2012This is our fourth visit to this restuarant. While our previous experience was always good , this last Friday was very disappointing.The menu while never elaborate was even more streamlined. They have eliminated scallops and most lamb dishes. Cocktails was always good but this time, the Mango Mojito, was mango syrup over ice! This was suppose to be the cocktail special of the evening. The waitress was completely clueless. She took my order for a Watermelon cocktail,then apologized for running out of watermelon puree & this is at 7 in the evening.The chicken sheesh kebab was like sautéed chicken sausage with onions and peppers. The rest of the food ,however , tasted just fine.Healthy Indian food at a moderate price.