Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India
3960 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bombayrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (619) 297-7777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Buffet: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Ashley Popat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Monsoon Group Catering
- Entertainment: Bellydancer belly dancer every friday and saturday night!
- Special Events: http://www.bombayrestaurant.com/sapphire-room
A word from Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India
A fanciful curtain of monsoon rain, visible through floor-to-ceiling glass doors, is a friendly greeting as guests enter the spacious and elegant dining room at Bombay restaurant. Aromas of exotic spices promise a feast of flavors. The kitchen serves to satisfy expectations and the attentive wait staff ensures a delectable dining experience that you'll want to repeat over and over again. Flavorful, mysterious fruit drinks and cocktails along with a variety of wines complement the spices of magical India.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (11)romantic (11)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (8)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great decor!FoodieDined on 4/12/2014Was expecting the food to be better than it was, after hearing rave reviews. The decor was very nice, love the waterfall. Might go back for a drink but definately not in a hurry to eat here again.Special Features:
- Best Indian Food I've ever tasted.abouttownDined on 4/5/2014My husband and I can't wait to go back to Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India. Everything about the place; the ambiance, service, selection, the food, the food, the food. Next time we are going back at lunchtime so we can taste other delicacies. Truly outstanding food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian in HillcrestSD4BrianVIPDined on 4/5/2014Bombay has been our favorite for nearly two years and the food is always delicious and quality. The Sat. buffet is stocked full of their popular dishes and are quite a bargain for just less than $10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service & cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014When they get busy, they serve terribly. Our three main dishes were terribly cold. Our table waiter did never come back when needed, at least a few times. (I even did not have a main dish fork, and it was hard for us to call anyone for my fork to start eating). They may have been busy, but if they cannot handle a crowd, they should not operate as a restaurant.
- Way overpriced!! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/3/2014Way overpriced!! The food was good, but nothing special. But each dish was at least double the price of the same items at other Indian restaurants.Special Features:
- AMAZING EXPERIENCE!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014My husband took me here for my birthday. What a BEAUTIFUL restaurant! The hostess was very pleasant and made us feel special. They brought me out a birthday dessert too! The staff was so attentive to us too. We never had to ask for anything, they came over almost immediately when our glasses were empty to refill them. EXCELLENT customer service! It was a very quiet and romantic atmosphere. The food was amazing! The flavors and spices were so delicious! Will DEFINITELY be returning! A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, OK servicecleodenileDined on 3/30/2014Tasty food. Not too expensive. Gorgeous decor. However, they probably need to hire more people since the waiter took a very long time to get our orders and he didn't seem to come around much. They were still very nice nonetheless. I recommend you go lunch to try the buffet if you wouldn't know where to start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tisdale served as house wine...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2014Terrible experience! Fish was overlooked and very chewy, quality of vegetables was very poor. $26 house wine bottle was Tisdale. We had to ask for a server to take our order and when she came over she did not seem confident in helping us. I found the prices to be very high, especially since the meals were so bad. The only item that was really good was a $4 piece of naan.
- Amazing experienceLicanDined on 3/28/2014Didn't know what to expect, it was our first time eating Indian food, we found the place by groupon. The service was extremely helpful and friendly, the food was exquisite and we had a great time.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/26/2014Fabulous food. Excellent service. Hostess and servers were all friendly, efficient, personable. It made for a wonderful dining experience. Would definitely recommend and return again. Thank you for a great night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very beautiful setting andBklynJoe718Dined on 3/21/2014Very beautiful setting and great professional staff. I was on a strict diet when my wife and I went and the waiter had no problem explaining the menu and alternate food options that accommodate my diet. Everyone there was friendly, the place looks great, the music and vibe was on point. A+ and would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beDisappointedVIPDined on 3/15/2014Service was poor; we literally had to run after our waiter to ask about our drink order after having waited for 30 minutes. Had to again seek out waiter to get our bill. The food is usually very good but this time it was extremely salty. Bombay India, what has happened to you?
- Always a Treat.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014We love this place and go once per month and have been for a few years. For a great date night, have dinner here and go next door to the Wine Lover after. Outstanding paring!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent India Cuisine.CoopUKDined on 3/15/2014We have eaten at Bombay Exotic Indian before and enjoy the food immensely. We made a reservation this time and still the service to get you seated and served is disorganized. We seated ourselves once we had checked in as there was only one table prepared on the patio, no reserved sign though; we were the only guests outside at that time. It was chaos just inside the doors where other guests were trying to get seated. On the tables were menus so even better we thought; finally when a waiter did appear he took the order of a couple that had come in after us; when I asked him to acknowledge us as being there prior to anyone else outside he put his hand up to stop me talking. Their sister restaurant downtown is so well organized and caring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian FoodSDResidentDined on 3/9/2014I had the best Indian food of my life here. Everything I tried was delicious! The ambiance is really cool and fun. It was great. I walked away stuffed and satisfied. Great place.Special Features:
- BombayJattiDined on 3/9/2014Food was good but expensive. Portions were small. Restaurant needs some fans to cool the interior. Decorations and ambience were excelllentSpecial Features:
- No snakes, thankyouverymuchNoUglyOneYetDined on 3/8/2014I would have preferred that my dinner experience be snakeless, though the belly dancer WAS entertaining. The food was very good - note that the "spice level" isn't very accurate; I am a wimp when it comes to spice, and found the "mild plus" to not have any spice at all, whereas my husband asked the server what level he should choose if he really liked spiciness, and she recommended medium (maybe because we're white?). He ordered one level up (medium plus) and still found the spice level to be underwhelming (even I could eat & enjoy the dish). Our last visit to this restaurant was on a weekday, and the experience was markedly different; the noise level was such that conversation was difficult & the service was MUCH slower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday DinnerKimberlyDined on 2/22/2014I had a party of ten for a birthday party and although the food and entertainment were fantastic, the service was horrible. It took almost 15 miuntes to get waters and drinks for the table (and they were not that busy). One of the waiter was rude and ran into one of the people in my party and didn't say excuse me (just gave irrated look). Thank goodness the food is good there, because service is something they definately lack.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice environment with good foodGoodfoodDined on 2/22/2014I set a reservation for 4 people. When we got there we were seated at a table that was really close to another table. So the fit of the table was squeezed in just enough to fit through and sit down. The waiter was a little slow but it didn't bother me much. Other then that the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating and deliciousRedsaltaDined on 2/21/2014I have lived Bombay for years but after I went vegan in July of 2012 I had not eaten there. I missed it, but alas, my favorite dishes are all cream based. Imagine my delight when I discovered that Bombay can make those cream based dishes vegan by substituting coconut milk for cream! I swear I almost cried when I bit I to the vegetable korma that I have missed so. Amazing food, our waiter was great, and the ambiance is quite romantic. Will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian food in San Diego!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/15/2014We come here a lot and it is always great. Perfect service, energetic scene, lots if choices of different authentic Indian dishes and newer creations. Perfect for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the wait!!!!qluvah90Dined on 2/14/2014I made a reservation for vday @845 pm. Was not seated till 955. It was my first time eating here and I really wanted to give it a try. The food was delicious but portions were small. Beautiful decor and service once seated was sharp.Special Features:
- Valentine's Dinner at BombayBurgerGuyDined on 2/14/2014Both my girlfriend and I arrived at Bombay shortly after our reservation time and from the appearance, this place was magnificent. I have never been to an Indian restaurant before however my girlfriend loves ethnic cuisine and I could use a new experience. I work in 5 star hospitality and wanted the management to know that unfortunately the restaurant was completely understaffed for this holiday. Once seated 45 minutes after our reservation, each course took over 20 minutes and my water was left empty for quite sometime. It appeared that the restaurant had one server for 16-20 tables in the backroom along with one/two server assistants. If the service was up to par, this evening would have been perfect as the food was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great atmosphere but..Luv2eatoutDined on 2/14/2014Food and service was great but drinks service was awful. We were 4 in our party and we were celebrating St Valentine. We had to wait about 40 minutes to get the first drink. Then 25 minutes for the 2nd drink. So if you plan to really celebrate, this may not be the placeSpecial Features:
- V-Day OutingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/14/2014Went out with a few friends for a V-Day. food - delicious and the decor - beautiful. only complaint I have is that when I called earlier in the week to make the rez for V- Day, I asked the hostess if I can order off the regular menu. told her that my first choice restaurant said me I'd have to order from the pre fixe menu, so I decided not make the reservation there. I said, if I have to order off a pre fixe menu here, that I won't make the reservation at all. She said we could order off the regular menu. So I made the rez. When we got to the restaurant on V-Day, we were told we had to order off the pre fixe by our waiter. Upsetting because I don't want an appetizer or dessert. I hate being forced to pay for food I don't want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "new" location (new 4SDKevinDined on 2/14/2014The "new" location (new 4 - 5 years ago) is great. It's big and open with wonderful ambient lighting. It has an Indian style without being over-the-top. The floor-to-celing water fixture is stunning. Also, they have a belly dancer Friday and Saturday nights which is entertaining. We've had maybe 7 different entrees over our visits and none of them have disappointed.Special Features:
- valentine's day massacreDesignandDineDined on 2/14/2014If I had any notion that a Valentine's Day dinner with my wife at Bombay would be a romantic dining experience I was soon disabused of that notion. On arrival we were escorted into a freezing overflow room in the back where they were playing Bollywood films. Ick. Portions were small. The service was truly awful. Upon our request for a side dish of raita, our waiter Rony said "no problem, I'll take care of that." That's literally the last we saw of him until he brought the check. We were systematically ignored. I had to stop one of the servers rushing by to even get our water glasses refilled. Verdict: We'll never return. I can get much better Indian food with far superior service at half the price at Himalaya on Midway Drive.
- Great food, great service!roxjimDined on 2/14/2014Great food, great service! Will definitely have Valentine's dinner at Bombay again!
- Just OK...PaulDined on 2/14/2014We ate there on Valentine's Day. Have been there before, and thought the food was good enough. There was only a pre-fix menu on the holiday, with was a bit disappointing, but understandable. Price was very reasonable: $35 pp, but appetizer was just warm, not hot, and tasted very much pre-prepared. Salad was uninspired. Entrées were fine, and so was dessert. Waiter was nice, but seemed inexperienced. Ambiance is very good. If you're in Hillcrest, an feel like eating Indian food, you'll do OK here, but not worth going out of your way for.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wasn't greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014The food was really good; I think that everyone in our group enjoyed their meal. The service was slow, though, which made it feel like we were waiting for long periods of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014This is the 2nd time my husband and I went to Bombay for their lunch buffet. We were pleased the first time around, this time was exquisite. It's normally $9.99 which is a heat deal. Because it was Valentine's Day, they had a special buffet, only $5 more than the usual and we got am array of choices, all so yummy. My personal favorite are the samosas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, high priceSrephanie56Dined on 2/13/2014Food was delicious, but the price was a little too high for us to return or recommend to friends. Service was friendly and ambience was very nice.Special Features:
- Delicous!KayJayDined on 2/12/2014Food was amazing, drinks were worth the money and the staff was great! Even my picky boyfriend left happy.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceDaveinEverettDined on 2/11/2014So, I was in town in San Diego and love Indian food. I had the Lamb Madras which was good but I've had better in Seattle (Garam Marsala). The lamb was overpriced at $23. Not a good deal for the quantity and taste in my book. I would not recommend this restaurant but thought it was OK for a dining experience. The service was excellent and almost a bit much with the attention I received.Special Features:
- We had a 45th birthday partydancincamDined on 2/1/2014We had a 45th birthday party there, 12 people (6 couples). The ambiance was fantastic. The service was great, the restaurant had offered to create a special (somewhat limited) menu showcasing a variety of food. The thought was with a large party this would cut down the ordering time. We forgot to arrange this, however when it came time to order, we told the server to order for us and he did an excellent job choosing a variety of foods in different degrees of spice. Awesome experience all the way around. Many of our friends had never been to the restaurant and all said they would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!VeganfriendlyDined on 1/31/2014The food was delicious and since we are vegan, this place has those options. This place is romantic and beautiful to look at. There was a belly dancer with her fire and snakes the entire time of our visit. The music was pretty loud for a restaurant. None the less, the food, service, style and ambiance was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian food but priceyitsmeDined on 1/31/2014Had a groupon but would have been pricey without it. That being said the food was good and flavorful and the fire/snake dancer was entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South IndiansadhuDined on 1/24/2014Great to have the option of South Indian, in addition to north. Sambar was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend nightMotoRiderDined on 1/18/2014They had a belly dancer using fire and a snake. Pretty cool. It was a weekend night so service was a little slow but very nice staff and very attentive as well. I made a reservation for 830pm and at the last minute had to change it to 845pm and the hostess was really understating and made it happen. Going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceJamesDined on 1/18/2014I have enjoyed each visit to Bombay and will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.