Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India
3960 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bombayrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192977777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Buffet: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Ashley Popat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Monsoon Group Catering
- Entertainment: Bellydancer belly dancer every friday and saturday night!
- Special Events: http://www.bombayrestaurant.com/sapphire-room
A word from Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India
A fanciful curtain of monsoon rain, visible through floor-to-ceiling glass doors, is a friendly greeting as guests enter the spacious and elegant dining room at Bombay restaurant. Aromas of exotic spices promise a feast of flavors. The kitchen serves to satisfy expectations and the attentive wait staff ensures a delectable dining experience that you'll want to repeat over and over again. Flavorful, mysterious fruit drinks and cocktails along with a variety of wines complement the spices of magical India.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (15)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (11)great for lunch (8)good for groups (7)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not GoodbillVIPDined on 9/12/2014I previously thought this was one of the best and most authentic Indian restaurants in San Diego. But the food was not good during my last visit.
- Food great service not so muchadambritVIPDined on 8/31/2014We sat on the patio (the only couple there) and were ignored. I went to the bar to order a bottle of wine. The server did not even notice. Water glasses empty many times . Lack of service all together. Unfortunate as I love the food here even thought $23 for a few pieces of chicken in the curry may not be worth the price! I will come back and hope for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner with familyBellydancinginSanDiegoDined on 8/29/2014Looks fancy, the prices are not too bad. Make sure if you are a curry regular you do not let the waiter pick for you because its either too mild or too hot. I loved the belly dancer and the snake. The waterfall fountain and environment made the meal. Great place for reunion with family. My daughter who is 9 loved the belly dancer but it isnt for the churchly types.. This is for those who are worldly and open to culture. LOVE THIS PLACE best dinner of my San Diego Trip.Special Features:
- Tired - WAY past its primeWillieQVIPDined on 8/9/2014We hadn't been here in maybe 2 years. It was a little dated then, we figured, let's give them time to refurb and refresh. FAIL. Upset stomach within 12 hours. Not from spiciness. 3 advertised beers on tap. One was unavailable, one was substituted for Bud light and the 3rd - Kings Lager - is what I ordered. In case anyone over at Bombay was wondering, you put a beer in a tap to allow the aroma and the flavor to excel. I get a beer filled to the very brim with no head at all. Who taught that clown how to pour a beer. Food tasted OK, but see above, if it is leaving in a haste after a short stay, maybe you shouldn't have invited it to be your guest in the first place. Saag Paneer, Chicken Masala, Tandori Chicken, Naan bread. We don't be back.
- Wait, wait, wait!breakfastloverDined on 8/3/2014Service was very poor. Waiter was almost non-existent. Food wasn't made like we ordered it. Also another couple that arrived after us was served before we were. Very disappointing experience. Will not be going back.
- Made my husband's birthday speciallovedeverythingDined on 8/1/2014We celebrated my husband's 63rd birthday at your place and while the service was not so hot- the food was fabulous and our waiter and the dancer came to our table and sang to my husband and that lovely lady took pictures with him. Made his day!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice...Babs4316VIPDined on 7/30/2014We come here at least once a year to enjoy the feeling of sitting inside with the sense of being outside... the room is lovely, and with all the big doors open, the water falling, the crystal twinkling, it is so nice. Perhaps we ordered poorly this time, but our dinner was just okay... service was very good however, so nothing to complain about. Nice cold Kingfisher beer on tap, minty Naan to eat.Special Features:
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014The food quality was below average, the quantity was very very less and the amount very high.. Will never come back nor ever recommend this to anyone
- India in HillcrestsunnyfoodieDined on 7/27/2014Bombay is a wonderfully exotic atmosphere. From the servers to the decor to the delicious cuisine you are swept away to a foreign land that makes you feel like you have left the country. The water wall creates an amazingly relaxing ambiance and adds to the nearly spiritual experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't change a thing!AudreyroseDined on 7/17/2014My hope is that this restaurant doesn't change anything. The servers are good, polite and friendly, food is delicious, great ambience and love the hat display! This was my 6th visit and I return every chance I get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/10/2014Wonderful food, amazing ambiance, and great service. If you like Indian food, this is the place to go.
- Bombay is a Great Night OutGlazedVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food is best Indian food in San Diego. The modern-day atmosphere and great belly dancer entertainment make for a great night out. Prepare to spend 30-40 per personSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch and a movielyndaDined on 6/25/2014If you are going to the Landmark Theatre, Bombay is a great place for lunch before or after the movie. It is conveniently located across the streetand you can park in the theatre parking lot! The lunch buffet is a bargain and the sag is delicious. They even give you your choice of hot nan for the table. There are Bollywood dance movies of the monitors and an inside waterfall!!Special Features:
- Monday BuffetMikesDined on 6/23/2014My wife and I went 630pm on a Monday. Not yet crowded and discovered a buffet til 9. Great service and food, especially the chicken tikka masala. Very reasonable price at $15. We will be back.. Note- Groupon does not apply to a buffet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoliDined on 6/23/2014The food was delicious. The servings could be a little more and should come with the bread.Special Features:
- ok but not amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014The food was good but took a long time. The buffet seemed more popular a choice. Staff was friendly. The wait for food was the worst part. Not a great place to go for parking either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014The service was excellent an so was the food! Everyone there was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and delicousSnowbirdDined on 6/19/2014The food was wonderful! My husband grew up in India so he can be a tough critic and he thought the food was very good. The decor was elegant, the indoor waterfall especially nice. The only complaint was no one refilled my water and I was totally out. Also they didn't ask if we wanted dessert (I have a love of sweet rice) They bought the bill and we had to ask for a dessert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waterfall!!ajh2Dined on 6/18/2014The waterfall and decor are beautiful. The wait staff were very attentive without being annoying. The spinach with paneer was delicious. The tandoori chicken was very dry, but the seasoning was good. The music was a bit loud when we entered. We asked if it could be turned down a bit which they did with no attitude. That was greatly appreciated. Also, in most restaurants, you're ignored after the bill has been paid. Not here. The waiters kept coming around filling our glasses. We did not feel rushed. Overall, it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bombay remains a favSD4BrianVIPDined on 6/5/2014We really love this neighborhood rest. and its always a treat to dine there. I've lost count of how many times we've eaten here but it really is good. Don't, however, be in a hurry as the service is often less than fast or on task to keep drinks filled. Nonetheless, you will be rewarded with a delicious mealSpecial Features:
- Love the waterfalldpkraftVIPDined on 6/5/2014This is a really nice place with excellent service, the food is fresh and a great place to take that someone special for a different type food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodfoodfreakDined on 6/2/2014everything was very good. I highly recommend the Monday night buffet. Nice selection. Very clean presentation. Food was very good. Could have had some spicier selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 305 reviews are from the Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India reviews archive.
- Awesome Experiencejcook2303Dined on 5/16/2014A small group of us, 6 people, went to Bombay the other night for dinner. Overall it was a great experience! Our server was extremely friendly and accommodating and the food was delicious. We got a few different plates, with her input and suggestions, to share among each other and it was just the right amount of food!Special Features:
- Second time to come in a week!jcpinwehoVIPDined on 5/10/2014Second time to come here. Food was great along with service! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better lunch than dinnerHillcrestfoodieDined on 5/9/2014We came here for dinner for the first time. Lunch has always been a good experience for us. But at dinner the service was slow (it took nearly 20 mins to get our drinks!). The food was a bit overpriced and there was a belly-dancer/snake handler that was just weird. Won't be coming back at dinner time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food WIZARDS??FeedMeSeymourDined on 5/6/2014Before I ate at Bombay, I thought I had been enjoying delicious Indian food. It turns out I was enjoying LIES. How can anything even claim to be good Indian food when THIS exists?? I didn't see rainbows listed in any of the dishes, but I'm pretty sure every one of them is made entirely of flavor rainbows. I now have a problem. I am going open a separate savings account just so I can eat there more often. If you find yourself wondering if this review is sarcastic or exaggerated, then you CLEARLY haven't eaten at Bombay, and now I just feel sorry for you. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unlikely to returnNLandLLDined on 5/4/2014This was the first time we had gone to this restaurant in its current location. We are unlikely to return. The food was very good, but the service was terrible from start to finish. No one approached us for a long time, then it took quite a while to get our soup and beverage, and at the end the waiter brought the bill but took a very long time to come back for our payment. It was frustrating since they seemed too short-handed, so there usually wasn't anyone else close by to ask for help. Our waiter did say "sorry" when he picked up the credit card (knowing it had been a long wait), but there really should be no excuse for such bad service. It appeared that other diners were experiencing similar situations.
- Great date nightmellDined on 5/3/2014Something different, very tasty, and the exotic dancer was excellent.Special Features:
- GreatGspringaDined on 5/1/2014Our experience was very good, food was great, and service good
- Groupons not welcome?ChickenGirlDined on 4/28/2014Everything was amazing save for our waiter Roni. After we got our food, he disappeared. We had to ask other staff for a box for leftovers and for the check because our waiter would walk by without looking at us. We will definitely come back but I don't think I would want him as my waiter again. The food was amazing though!! I recommend the Mango Chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at BombayEatitupDined on 4/27/2014Eating at Bombay is a pleasure. The service and food are great. Food is delivered to the table hot and each dish is has a unique flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Microwave heated food is betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014After a > 45-minute wait for our food, the server brought out almost cold food. It was definitely not hot or fresh tasting. It tasted as if they had been trying to thaw it from the freezer all day instead of actually making a fresh curry dinner. The long wait for the food was definitely not worth it. I would never return and I almost wanted to recommend to people walking into the restaurant at the same time I was leaving that they choose somewhere else.
- What's Up with the Belly DancerBallplayersdVIPDined on 4/18/2014I really like this place but don't understand the indifferent belly dancer and the ballywood program displaying on TVs above the bar in plain view of all the diners.
- An Absolute Gem!Bambido12Dined on 4/16/2014My friend and I found this restaurant through an online deal as we are not from the area. Everything was absolutely fabulous from the delicious food to the indoor waterfall! Our server was attentive and knew the menu well. I highly recommend this restaurant and will be coming back next time I am in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing ambianceKatieADined on 4/15/2014beautiful restaurant. our server rony was informative and very nice but had a huge section and was pouring his own drinks as well. I'm a bartender and server in fine dining and I think that the limited interaction and delayed greeting detracted somewhat from the overall experience. but the food was amazing, the price overall was very reasonable and the ambiance of the room was awesome! A fantastic date night, I will return, thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bombay cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/15/2014Terrible service! Terrible server! It wasn't a pleasant time to go even on a Tuesday night.
- OverallgastronomoDined on 4/15/2014As always, the service, setting and food were excellent. Presentation, appearance, taste, texture were right on.Special Features:
- Yummy foodmamalovestoeatDined on 4/12/2014Had a delicious romantic dinner with my husband. Food was delicious. Would have totally given it 5 stars, but service was slow. We waited 15 minutes for our check with a baby sitter waiting, so that was a bummer. Overall, highly recommend. Great gluten free choices. Great vegetarian choices, too. Eggplant dish is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor!FoodieDined on 4/12/2014Was expecting the food to be better than it was, after hearing rave reviews. The decor was very nice, love the waterfall. Might go back for a drink but definately not in a hurry to eat here again.Special Features:
- Best Indian Food I've ever tasted.abouttownDined on 4/5/2014My husband and I can't wait to go back to Bombay Exotic Cuisine of India. Everything about the place; the ambiance, service, selection, the food, the food, the food. Next time we are going back at lunchtime so we can taste other delicacies. Truly outstanding food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.