815 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bombayclubdc.com/
- Phone: 2026593727x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:45pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Nilesh Singhvi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Piano music nightly beginning at 6:45pm.
A word from Bombay Club
The Bombay Club emulates characteristics of the old clubs of India. The elegant environment with pale pastels, ceiling fans, and a profusion of greenery is designed to create a warm and inviting gathering place for relaxation and regeneration. The cuisine is the finest of India, utilizing only the best quality ingredients to create a harmony of subtle flavors. Specialties prepared by Executive Chef Nilesh Singhvi, include tandoori salmon and green chili chicken. The sophisticated cuisine is enhanced by refine service and live piano music. Distinguished Restaurant of North America Award.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Bombay Club - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bombay Club reviews from OpenTable diners
379 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (220)fit for foodies (190)romantic (147)good for groups (78)great for lunch (78)neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (51)notable wine list (43)great for brunch (40)hot spot (23)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Brit-Indian Private Club SceneOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2014The ambiance is like stepping into a a colonial club, without feeling like a theme park. Elegant and formal, without being stuffy. Food was very good. Indian always a good choice if you a vegetarian in your group. Thali plates make a good presentation. Service was attentive. My out-of-town guest brought a single bottle of beer from the Orkney Islands, and they were gracious about pouring it without a corkage fee. Great for business lunch or dinner or a (quiet) special occasion. And, if you can't get into Rasika, this is a good second choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Traditional IndianRonGVIPDined on 10/25/2014The room is magnificent. The managers are welcoming. The service (Leo) is outstanding. The food is spectacular, in particular the fried kale appetizer. What's not to like? BTW, we will truly miss Christian, Simon and Jennifer from the Knightsbridge family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014We went as a group of 3 for dinner before a show. Our original reservation was for a group of 6 and had a last minute change to the headcount - the restaurant was very accommodating to make the change and seated us promptly. We liked the choice of food and beverage options and were very impressed with the service, presentation, food quality, taste and flavors as well as attention to detail. There was probably a wedding dinner rehearsal going on the night we went and although it was in a private area separated from the main dining room, the noise levels were somewhat elevated compared to what we would have preferred but that was not a big problem. Would definitely recommend this place and not hesitate going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Overall the location and the ambiance are nice. The food to me was average not spectacular.
- Good food, good serviceMcowan3Dined on 10/25/2014This is a return trip to this restaurant and it was just as good as the first time. Very professional staff and tasty food. Would definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Bombay club SpinachDesiDined on 10/24/2014Excellent food Had lunch at Bombay club and their second Rasika at DC had dinner on Sat and having lunch at Bombay club today Oct 2014Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchmgk4504Dined on 10/24/2014Had a group of eight, and the waiter recommend just the right sharing dishes and the right amounts. Had a very relaxed, delicious, and enjoyable time. Love the crispy kale!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Indian foodLisMVIPDined on 10/20/2014Delicious, well-prepared Indian food in a gorgeous setting. You truly feel like you are at a special place dining at Bombay Club- both in terms of the decor and the tasty food.Special Features:
- one of best meals in DCdiningmamaDined on 10/19/2014I've had a lot of overrated food in DC, but the Northern Indian cuisine at Bombay Club is excellent. Sophisticated atmosphere. We enjoyed a wonderful Sunday buffet brunch complete with live piano music.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I have been to many Indian restaurants before, but this is the first one I have truly enjoyed. Granted the prices are high, but if you want to treat yourself one night and have good Indian food this restaurant is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnersandraDined on 10/18/2014We had a party of 6 adults who wanted good food, good service, and the ability to have a conversation. The Bombay Club satisfied on all levels--excellent food, great service and a noise level that actually allowed us to talk to one another. It will stay on our list of great dinner spots.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/14/2014Great food and service. Our waiter, Nasser was awesomeSpecial Features:
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/14/2014Although the service was really slow (I think we were generally ignored in favor of larger groups), the food was fine.Special Features:
- Lived Up to Its ReputationJandwVIPDined on 10/14/2014We enjoyed every bit of an outstanding lunch, especially the Fried Kale Chaat Salad. Service was pleasant and timely, but never intrusive. My Club Thali, served on the traditional silver platter, was delicious as well as beautiful, and everyone in our party raved about his/her dish. Too often, highly touted DC places are simply part of the "see and be seen" scene, but The Bombay Club deserves every accolade for its food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2014I went to the Bombay Club because I love Indian food and had heard good things about the restaurant. Overall, the experience was good. The service was wonderful. The interior of the restaurant was really nice and up to date - it felt cozy but not cramped. My entree (dhaba murg) was good but not great. On the other hand, my husband enjoyed his entree (eggplant) and the goat cheese kulcha was delicious. We had a nice time, but I don't feel compelled to go back any time soon.
- Good restaurant but not amazingAureliaVIPDined on 10/12/2014The food is ok but not great. They do have good service.Special Features:
- Excellent placejct815Dined on 10/11/2014Great environment, great food. Took my wife to celebrate her new job and it was the perfect experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, amazing!bingata744VIPDined on 10/11/2014We had not been to the Bombay Club since it was redecorated -- lovely. For this visit, we approached our meal (4 of us) differently. From appetizers to dessert, we shared everything. Sharing gave us all the opportunity to taste a lot of different dishes. We will go back again, and soon. I always recommend the Bombay Club to visitors and to people who are looking for something they might not have tried before.Special Features:
- BeefeaterDined on 10/10/2014Excellent location, few metres from the White House; great indian food, very refined and traditional at the same time.Special Features:
- DrJohnVIPDined on 10/9/2014As usual this was a great experience but it seemed as though they changed menu. Made it hard to select favorite meal. Great anyhow. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish Indian ResturantSamMDined on 10/8/2014My wife and I had lunch here. Everyone was polite and friendly. Food was great and served in time. We enjoyed the afternoon. The seafood grill platter was nice so was the Bombay Thali for vegitariansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bombay ClubKenLee38Dined on 10/7/2014Unexceptionably good Indian cuisine, exceptional and quiet service that never hovers. And prices to match. We've been for lunch several times, always to quietly celebrate a few of life's victories. Consequently, the price has never bothered. The whole experience is delightful. Mid-week, especially if Congress is in session, the noise level is from the political and lobbying set. Always make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryPinehurstResidentVIPDined on 10/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Bombay Club celebrating our wedding anniversary! Great food, drinks, service, and atmosphere with lovely decor and live piano music in the dining room. We enjoyed some favorite Indian dishes and tried a few new ones. There are so many choices on their menu and wine list. We will be back when visiting in DC on business or vacation!Special Features:
- Quiet beautiful ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/5/2014We loved the food and service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Dissapointing Brunch BuffetMishPCVIPDined on 10/5/2014Dishes were all average, cheaper meats (chicken, egg, ok fish) were used, nothing made you go back for seconds. Food was also lukewarm. Not what you expect for 22 bucks a person, and not what I hhad a year ago at this restaurant.
- Consistent GemFoodforthoughtDined on 10/4/2014An adult restaurant. Special in every way. The food is very accessible, even to those who think they do not like Indian food, which was the case with one of our guests. The fish dishes are a real treat. As a Part-time Floridian very accustomed to good grouper dishes, the Bombay Club's take on it is the best I have ever had. And, if you are a salmon fan, ask for the salmon tandoori. It is rarely on the menu, but always available and excellent. The atmosphere here is terrific and service is impeccable. The Kistler Chardonnay at $120 a bottle tops the list of its white wine offerings. This is a real food enhancer at a very fair price, since it is often a $70 bottle retail. There are many other very good more moderately priced wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zibokVIPDined on 10/4/2014We have received exactly what was expected at this restaurant and service was really good and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnivore and vegetarian delightLizzieDined on 10/3/2014We celebrated my 62nd birthday here, mixing a family of vegetarians and carnivores, spicu foodies and non, and everyone was delighted. The meat dishes were so tender they melted, all of the naans were delightful, the seafood platter was excellent, spinach and lentils and biriyani likewise. Absolutely nothing could have been better, including the service. Thank you. We even tried a mint appetizer at the suggestion of the waiter that was exceptional. This is our second such celebration here and we will be back.Special Features:
- Love the Bombay Club!IlikewhatIllikeDined on 10/3/2014I really love the thali...you get a sample of a number of different authentic dishes. I've tried a couple of these and loved them all. Highly recommend the Bombay Club!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No drink order?RandomReviewerVIPDined on 10/3/2014The service is usually terrific, but I was surprised that we weren't asked about beverages before placing our orders for lunch. I don't need a push for a pricey glass of wine, as I've found at some places (never Bombay Club), but I think it was the first time I've dined here that the service was a little off. That said, everything else was fine. Normally I wouldn't mention something that may seem trivial, but it was a surprise given past service, and might have lowered the expectations for my dining companion who has there for the first time.Special Features:
- Good food... "choppy" service...FreddytVIPDined on 9/30/2014The Bombay Club offers reliably superior Indian fare in a refined setting, but the service can be irregular and disjointed. On a recent evening, our meal arrived five minutes after our cocktails were served... and a pre dinner bread course arrived just before our main course. Not good. The solution is to be very explicit with your server as to the dining "pace" you prefer -- and just to make sure you're not rushed, refrain from ordering your main course until you've had chance to enjoy your cocktails and bread course.
- Dinner at the Bombay ClubHilaryandTonyDined on 9/27/2014This turned out to be great evening meal and dining experience on our recent visit to DC. We are British expats and enjoy Indian food but we have been deeply disappointed with the food served in most of US Indian restaurants we have tried. We are very pleased to say that the Bombay Club is easily the "best in class" and would have no hesitation in recommending it to fans of good Indian food. Friendly staff and classy ambience made for a very good evening. Be sure to try the Bombay Club gin and tonic - as far as I know this is a unique spicy aperitif!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit of a Let DownLAtoDCdinerDined on 9/27/2014As a Rasika fan, I thought the Bombay Club would be a good second choice. When we arrived for our 7:45 reservation we were not seated until 8, despite visibly open tables. Our waiter was extremely slow and unfriendly-- far more attentive to the larger party next to us. The kale chaat was an EXCELLENT appetizer, as good if not better than Rasika's palak chaat. But the brussel's sprouts I ordered as a vegetarian dish were nothing special and the portion of naan was extremely small. The blueberry pudding the waiter recommended for dessert was not particularly good either. The decor and atmosphere of the restaurant was nice. Overall the food was only average and the service was poor. I'd order the kale chaat to go.Special Features:
- Decent Indian VegetarianAndrewMullenDined on 9/27/2014The Bombay Club is an elegant restaurant that harkens back to colonial India. See *A Passage to India*, and you'll know what I mean. The food, however, though tasty, did not live up to the hype of the Washingtonian's review. If you're a regular patron at ethnic restaurants, you may have discovered that, in the US, Thai, Indian, and other cuisines have been toned down for the so-called unsophisticated American palate. For example, Thai is less spicy (hot), and in this case, Indian is less spicy (spices). The flavors at The Bombay Club are fine, and many folks will find the food delicious, but I have eaten much more interesting Indian food in this area -- plates full of vigorous spices bursting with all that India has to offer.Special Features:
- Best Indian in town2dineoutDined on 9/27/2014Always love taking special friends to this restaurant. It has never let me down. It reminds me of the Rest Houses of India and Sri Lanka.Special Features:
- World class cuisine & its IndiantjssVIPDined on 9/26/2014It's offspring, Rasika gets the publicity and is the hot spot, but the quality of the food is better here, and the atmosphere is one of fine dining, romance and world class sophistication. And that's not when the piano player is at work!!!! It is world class sophisticated delicate taste, inventive cuisine, that happens to be Indian. Best Indian food you will find outside London or Mumbai. If you want the glamour go to Rasika; if you want the food and dining experience go to the Bombay club.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingParentsNightOutDined on 9/26/2014This was our third time there. We made reservations in advance. After realizing we would be late called and changed our time. We were still 5 minutes late and they accomdated us. Staff is friendly and knowledgable concerning their menu. If they offer the sticky toffee cake on the menu please try it!Special Features:
- Upscale & DeliciousChirsVIPDined on 9/26/2014Upscale and pleasant atmosphere. Delicious and inventive south Asian cuisine. Many vegetarian options. Tasty drinks. Considering the price point, the service could have been sharper on this occasion.Special Features:
- IndAmeri11Dined on 9/24/2014The food was great, so was the ambiance. The only suggestion I like to make is please do not sit your patrons near the windows. My party of 3 had a closed window to our left giving a bad taste in the mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIGHEND INDIANBillVIPDined on 9/23/2014Food is excellent, although portions are very small for sharing. Service was ok but a little staged. Good place for business dinner but not a special date.Special Features: