1415 Washington St
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bomarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175362662
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from BoMa
Here at Boma Restaurant + Bar we are creating an experience for the diner that is both casual and ﬁne. We use only fresh local produce and meat, ﬁsh and cheeses. I want to make our guests dining experience shine with no wasted or superﬂuous elements. We will have an emphasis on local New England seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BoMa reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (3)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)romantic (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Pacing needs workBadtimingDined on 6/20/2014We had a great table and our server was excellent. The food was also good, although the Caesar salad is enough for three people to share as an appetizer. However our experience was ruined by the kitchen. Dishes were completely backed up. We waited nearly an hour between salads and mains, and it was the same for dessert. Our server Tiffany was fantastic and apologetic, but if the kitchen doesn't get their timing together we won't be back. Will give it one more try.
- Great Food, not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The food here was very good. The service on the other hand was not which is really a shame.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014I was nervous when we walked in because it seemed pretty quiet and my girlfriend and I were hoping for more of a night on the town. It was so nice out this weekend that I'm sure people were just home grilling or on a roof deck, because otherwise they should have been here. We had Dave, and he was nothing short of spectacular. He guided us through the menu even asking what we had already eaten that day to give us a more well rounded diet. We got the mussels and tuna tartare and finished with the kale salad. The mussels were outstanding. Not your typical white wine and garlic combo which id probably why I loved them. Drinks were great too!! If you like spice, be sure to try Don't Be A Peach. BoMa was simply fabulous!! Thanks again, Dave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the big open windowsJaneDined on 6/6/2014great food as always (chicken is awesome as well as the mussels!) and perfect night to have all the big windows open to the street and view of the cathedral. food was slow to arrive, but we were given a nice dessert to compensate. wonderful manager takes great care of people.Special Features:
- The following 137 reviews are from the BoMa reviews archive.
- Long nightSouthEndDinerDined on 5/30/2014We went to dinner at Boma the other night and don't have much good to say about it. Service was terrible, waited about an hour and a half for our food. At one point, the table next to us had a moment of silence for the waiter because "he must have been dead". When the food came out, it was as if they spent the entire hour and a half charing the meat - well done is an understatement especially when you ordered medium rare. We ended up sending both meals back and didn't have the patience to wait for anything new so just went home hungry. It was a pretty terrible experience.
- Good not great.KL24Dined on 5/28/2014Went here for an after work dinner mid-week. We were the only people seated in the dining room & there were only a few people at the bar. Despite this service was extremely slow. I highly suggest their cocktails which were original & delightfully flavorfull. Appetizers were disappointing with crab rangoons that were little more than a fried piece of empty dough. My fiance was happy with his burger, stating it was basic & hit the spot for the night but was nothing to come back for. I would have to agree with their flatbread, vegetarian one, was OK, nothing special. I found it too over loaded with toppings and the crust was not cooked nearly enough. For 1,000 pts I would go back, the atmosphere was good, just don't expect an grade A dinner.
- If you haven't been, go!AfterWorkDined on 5/27/2014Four of us went. Our waiter was excellent. Knew his stuff and served us well. Two of us had the scallops - perfectly cooked and a more generous portion than other restaurants. The other two had the steak - again, delicious! We shared the duck fries (a must) and the mussels. Really good. It was a quiet night as the weather was rainy and raw, but I would suggest making a reservation. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland, overpriced, badHungryGirl71Dined on 5/11/2014Well. The food itself was fine. Drinks were best part. Service was whatever. Were there for a special occassion but it was mothers day so they had a special ($$$) menu. The place was dead aside from one other big party. Our bill was quite expensive. We left a 20% cash tip. Then we find out the next day that the bill INCLUDED a 20% tip yet no1 told us. We had 5 ppl! Usually its 6ppl+ for added tip and ive always been kindly told beforehand to avoid this exact problem! On top of this super damn shady tip scheme we found out the next morning they charged my father 2x & for different price totals. The bank who said this was literally fraud. I was disappointed with the meal but now much more so and HOPE they refund my dad his $.Special Features:
- Wonderful Family DinnerBerkleeGradMomDined on 5/10/2014We selected BoMa for our Son's Graduation Dinner with relatives, up to age 88, from around the country. The New Orleans and Portland OR crowd are "foodies" for sure. Everyone was delighted with the atmosphere, service and quality of food. We felt welcomed and cared for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic menu all @ a high standardCkayeDined on 4/26/2014I was recommended BoMa by a friend, when I saw the mix of foods on the menu I was unsure how good it could be but each person at my table loved their meal from lamb shoulder in a fig jus to the Thai red currySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South End RestaurantNorthshore44Dined on 4/19/2014Our party of 4 went to BoMa last Saturday night. It was our first time. We made a reservation and were seated immediately. Service was solid although the served my wife the wrong dish...stuff happens. The food was good not great. No regrets but where underwhelmed a bit.Special Features:
- BbBostonDined on 4/17/2014Not bad..just not amazing. Would definitely come back to grab drinks at the bar and maybe a flatbread to share..but menu/food was underwhelming. Vision was confusing too..vibe/ambiance/decor left me confused. Overall: it was "okay"
- Delicious and Interesting foodkassaDined on 4/17/2014The food was delicious. We got the brussel sprouts, Thai tacos and the Scallops with grapefruit, parsnip and balsamic vinegar. The combinations were surprising and amazing. When we raved about the parsnip puree the server brought us another little bowl of it. We practically licked it clean. Will definitely go again. I didn't give a 5/5 for service only because once we had finished our meal it took a long time to get the check, otherwise the server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food!christinaDined on 4/17/2014great place, good location! would go again with my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great. Our waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014The food was great. Our waitress was a bit slow and kept forgetting who ordered what. Another waitress came by and fixed everything. Overall, a great experience. I would go back and would recommend this place.Special Features:
- Our server was friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Our server was friendly and helpful. It's always nice to find a restaurant that will accommodate vegetarian requests without giving me grief. Everyone loved the meal and the creative tequila based cocktails.Special Features:
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Food was great, but the way they sat the tables on an early Saturday night did not make a lot of sense. They grouped 4 tables all together, which made it tough to have a conversation. Quality of the food was very good, but they were out of a few of the menu items (for a 6:30 reservation on Saturday night??) and did not have any specials or additions. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at BoMaTwoNeighborhoodGuysDined on 3/28/2014Friday night reservation at 8:30pm. We needed to wait a bit for our table, but were able to have a drink at the bar. Once seated, we were lavished with attention and we had a leisurely dinner. Started by sharing the vegetarian flatbread. Great flavors mixed together. I'm not an eggplant fan, but this we done very well. Then it was followed by salmon for me and scallops for my friend. Both were cooked very well and were quite flavorful. The staff was very attentive and even fun. Though the noise level when I first arrived put me off and made me wonder if I would ever return, the food won me over for a revisit.Special Features:
- T.V.'s are a scourgeLocalDined on 3/22/2014Great location but a terrible use of the space. Cheapo furniture. Seats uncomfortable and wrong size for high tops. Televisions are too big and inescapable! Service was good. Drinks were good. Food was was fine but not knock your socks off. Restaurant needs interior design help, needs to get rid of the t.v's and to tweak its food prep. There are so many restaurants in the South End to choose from, BoMa needs to do better than this.
- yum!JaneDined on 3/21/2014The chicken with brussels sprouts is awesome. Love the ambience here and Shane the host is incredibly gracious. Good service and lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem!FortheLoveOfLoxDined on 3/16/2014We come each year for the Boston Seafood Show. Lots of dining with high end prices and OK food. I wanted to get away from show crowd and didn't want to wait for hours to get a table. Found BoMa on Open table. Yum, yum, yum. I work for a French Chef whom I brought to dinner with me. He did not have an criticism. Usually he politely tells me what was prepared wrong and why. Loved it so much I brought my hubbie back for dinner last night of the show. He ordered the scallops. Perfection. Crab appetizer was the only thing not wonderful, but it was due to the quality of the crab, not the preparation.This is an undiscovered gem, but not for long. I want a seat next year in March. I think I will book now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visited at 6:30 PM Thur. EarlyBostonLocalDined on 3/6/2014Visited at 6:30 PM Thur. Early dinner and had time for a drink at the bar. The bartender knew her wines and beer, very good start. Convienant location, scenic view across from the Catholic Cathedral. Fun atmosphere and bar. Tiffany was our server, did not expect professional level waitstaff in a casual fare restaurant. Not only was she knowledgeable about the full menu and able to accurately describe subtleties of each item, but she wowed the table with her knowledge of wine pairings. She recommended a Malbec wine that drew out and complimented the delicate spicy undertones in the flank steak beyond perfection. Have never met her before, but will ask for her upon return. Such a genuinely pleasant and knowledgeable server, will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around greatGilGirl57Dined on 3/2/2014If you're looking for a light relatively inexpensive meal that is nicely prepared without a lot of ingredient negotiation, this is a perfect choice! Tuna entree was far better than expected -- tuna was high quality and perfectly seared. Burgers and salads -- also high marks. Don't overlook BOMA as a good dining option.Special Features:
- The best spot in the neighborhoodDavidDined on 3/1/2014the service is great, the menu changes all the time, the manager knows everyone that comes in...it's our go-to place in the South End.Special Features:
- Neighborhood night outBigCDinerDined on 2/22/2014BOMA is a great neighborhood restaurant as the atmosphere is inviting and friendly without being stifling with overcrowding and blaring music. The food is wonderful, at least the sample my guest and I had. If duck fat fries, vegetable risotto with roasted pulled chicken intermixed and a blackened salmon strike your interest, then this is a place for you. The libations followed suit tasting wonderful and refreshing. The thai basil cucumber vodka concoction notably stands out. The service is accommodating and attentive to the point where our server was never pushy, but always around if we needed something. Overall, BOMA is wonderful for smaller groups or the little romantic evening. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very nice night outccbeads213Dined on 2/22/2014We had a very nice night out with the family. The food was very good and the service was excellent. This was our second time there And will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, menu and drinksmd7716Dined on 2/19/2014Really nice evening. Cool menu in a great setting. Everything was very good. Definitely recommend.
- Great service and ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Great service and ambiance, very disappointed in the food.
- Valentines unhappy surpriseCarolynDined on 2/14/2014I came with a friend from out of town. While I understand some restaurants have special menus for Valentine's day, I expect a)the regular menu would also be available and b) an indication of a limited menu would be on the website. Neither happened which was pretty annoying since I'd selected the restaurant based on the menu I THOUGHT I would be ordering from. The food was fine but the service was awful. We had to remind the waiter we were waiting on our next course multiple times. The final straw was when we had waited for dessert for about 30 mins. My friend had given the waiter her credit card wanting to make sure dinner would be her treat. He then brought the check before our dessert arrived (which we had to remind him about again)!
- Disappointing Valentine'sOutoftownerDined on 2/14/2014Booked BoMa for early-ish Valentine's dinner since most other places were already booked a week out. Had heard about BoMa on blog sites and always thought it would be good. It turned out to be very disappointing--biggest problem was sticker shock--a forced prix fixe menu at $65 per person that WAS NOT worth it--no mention on the website this menu was the only one offered. They also skipped courses and gave us the wrong entrees, and we didn't see the waiter for like 45 minutes to tell him of the errors, so they brought dessert, took it away, gave us course #1 they had skipped, and then dessert again. The food was okay, but nothing outstanding, and not worth the high prices. They need to work on their kitchen/ordering system...Special Features:
- a little cold, but good foodFavabeanDined on 2/8/2014Went to BoMa over the weekend. apps were delicious -- had the mussels in a honey broth -- different but good. crab rangoons were great. the "pumpkin patch" app was okay. My husband had the tuna tartar while I had a burger. both were good. one complaint was that every time the door opened, it was a bit cold. service was okay.Special Features:
- Great service, fun foodDrjalexiaDined on 2/1/2014The menu is small and creative. The food was eclectic, but not for vegetarians (which I am not). The food was very flavorful. The servers were extremely accommodating, especially with our changing plans and group composition. The restaurant is in a great neighborhood. My group loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had high hopesFirstTimeReviewerDined on 1/31/2014Based on the menu online, I had hopes that this could become a frequent dinner spot given its perfect location. But I was disappointed in the experience. It was hugely expensive for what we got especially given the ambiance. I probably made a mistake trying to build a meal by combining certain appetizers. I focused on tuna tartare as my protein. But it was just a couple of tablespoons of a simple diced tuna. I ordered "extra" tuna which came out quickly and without the rest of the presentation. Only later did I realize that I was charged for a whole second order. A mesculin salad which could have come from Foodies next door was a whopping $10. Every single thing I ordered was about $10 each and I found that truly lacking in value.
- should be busiersouthendloyalDined on 1/29/2014It's surprising that this restaurant has not gotten more traffic. With one minor exception, our dishes were really good; the service was great; it was easy to talk and the atmosphere was welcoming and warm. The menu is interesting and it's easy to eat light or more substantially, with or without drinks. Certainly worth a try; brings another choice to the neighborhood, which is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've lived in the South EndSE3289Dined on 1/18/2014I've lived in the South End for many years and I've seen restaurants come and go...I think BoMa has what it takes to be around for the long haul. There is a great mix of comfort food and healthy options. The staff is friendly, waitstaff attentive and I never had to ask for my water glass to be refilled. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoMA was Great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014BoMA was awesome. All 4 of us had great dinners. Scallops were spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was really good,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014The food was really good, some unusual choices (harvest pumpkin patch appetizer was really attractive looking and tasted high-end) atmosphere was nice and not too noisy. We were there on a Friday night around 7, so I was surprised it wasn't very busy. I imagine things pick up later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OK dinnerPaulDined on 12/21/2013The really good service made the evening. Felt very well taken care of by the professional staff. Food, however, was OK at best -- not bad, but nothing special that would make be return to this restaurant with all the choices in Boston.
- Great experienceInCollectDined on 12/21/2013Very cool place. Great vibe. Great food. Salmon was perfectly done as was the risotto, flank steak was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little Restaurantmattcbos91Dined on 12/8/2013Food was great, service was quick and sincere. Fun ambiance, patriots were playing, but wasn't disruptive, I'm not a football fan but it had me excited too. Strong beer selection on tap and the cocktail menu is great. Definitely a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.