804 Davis St.
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.boltwoodevanston.com/
- Phone: 8478592880x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Huston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Boltwood
Boltwood is a farm-driven, seasonal restaurant with a menu that is as diverse as the community around us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Boltwood - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Boltwood reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (153)neighborhood gem (99)hot spot (85)special occasion (58)good for groups (42)notable wine list (27)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014service was very disappointing, very loud food was highlightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost In LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/12/2014Everything about the restaurant was pretty wonderful, with one exception--the prices. I went with a friend, each of us had 2 drinks, we shared one entree, & 2 appetizers. Leaving a 20% tip, we each paid about $70.00, which is pricey for a "neighborhood" joint. Although I really enjoyed it, I probably won't be returning soon, although, I could have lived without the 2nd drink (should I have to?).Special Features:
- SuperbMackDined on 9/11/2014Top nitch dining on the North Shore! Chef Brian Huston had just changed menu to their fall seasonal selections...quite a variety and impressive preparations. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious...kale on toasted cheese bread, pickled zucchini, grape salad, mussels and beef preparation (think it was a tri tip). Great selection of wine, unique cocktails and beer. Price was on higher end, but we we're more than happy to pay for this selective, highest quality, fresh food (and great service). Service was very attentive and took care of us. Numerous waiters and also Host were just fantastic! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & creative3friendsDined on 9/10/2014My two friends and I dine together once a month at different restaurants in the city and northern suburbs, and Boltwood provided one of the best meals we have had in a long while. All three of us like to cook, and we typically order a range of dishes and share each one, along with a bottle of wine. Our pretty, friendly waitress gave us good advice, which we needed given the unique combinations of ingredients and flavors. We loved the grilled trout with bits of smokey pork, and the crunchy roasted potatoes and dipping sauce. These were complemented nicely by a light, citrusy salad of edible flowers that almost looked too good to eat. All in all, a delicious meal, and the ambiance was pleasing, if a bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyBosnianVIPDined on 9/9/2014We had a very pleasant time, enjoying both the food and the service. The menu is not extensive, typically offering one choice in enough categories to have something for everyone. The room is open and attractive, but can get noisy when fully crowded -- which it often is. The staff was very helpful in explaining the menu, which can be confusing about portion sizes. Offerings change frequently, which encourages return visits. The Garlic-Schmaltz potatoes are dangerously addictive.Special Features:
- not worth the moneydanboyVIPDined on 9/7/2014Pretension in and of itself is not a bad thing. the effort was there, but the tastes were mixed and the bill was just too much.Special Features:
- Lots of potentialBladerunner123Dined on 9/6/2014We had a nice but not great dinner. Some really great dishes like the sea bass and bush beans and some that were really disappointing like an overly salty bowl of potatoes fried in schmaltz. Service was spotty and felt rushed. Nice reasonably priced wine list. Hooe the rough edges getter smoothed out.Special Features:
- Boltwood good!SusanDined on 9/6/2014Creative food, great wine list, not too packed in, lively but quiet enough to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A meal to rememberfreak4funflavorsDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic food! Absolutely love the flavor combinations and the farm fresh ingredients! A definite heavenly foodie experience with knowledgeable and friendly wait staff. Restaurant is a bit loud but fun atmosphere. Buy the cooks a six pack and hear the bell ring!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatGWBrownDined on 9/5/2014The food is great, here. Really interesting menu, including sweet breads, which were delicious.Special Features:
- had a great timejdwhittemoreDined on 9/5/2014Great food, service was excellent and the wine was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ButieDined on 9/5/2014Food is excellent. Noise level is unbearable. Service and all personnel exceedingly gracious and helpful.Special Features:
- We find Boltwood really overpricedfoodieVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food is tasty but the portions are really small. We ordered a $24 steak "entree" that came sliced into 6 tiny pieces - could not have been more than 4 ounces of meat, 6 ounces at best. My husband and I shared it but we could have each had our own - and several more courses on top of that. The smoked sable "salad" was tasty but tiny and had no greens except for some flat parsley. At $14, not a good value. I will say, they have done a lot to mediate the unbearable noise problem they had at opening, and if the food was at a more reasonable price point for the tiny portions, we would return. But for our money, we'll go to Found Kitchen for farm-to-table small plates and a nicer ambience.
- lovetodineDined on 9/3/2014The squid was outstanding...wish you bottled the sauce it was served in. Spicy and so flavorful!Special Features:
- Will try again...but needs workVisitorVIPDined on 9/3/2014Ok, this is a new restaurant. It has new restaurant feel. We liked the space and location. The polenta was good. The perch was good. The cocktail was good. But the timing of everything was off. It has some good bones though, and quite popular; we want it to succeed so we will try again in a month or so.
- Hated this restaurantterryPVIPDined on 9/2/2014Let me count the ways I hated this restaurant: 1.Very limited menu. 2. What I call foo-foo- food (things that don't sound like food on the menu and need translation from waitperson. 3. What they call 'small plates" are just an excuse to charge a lot of money for a very little amount of food. 4. Very pricey 5. I don't mind paying good money for good food - but these 'small plates" that they say are for sharing are not big enough to share, only as an appetizer, but they are not indicated as such.
- Fabulous foodGoodeatsDined on 8/30/2014Truly talented chef-it was an amazing meal. We loved all of our courses. Small, insignificant bumps to be expected with a new place, such as placing our used cutlery on the table rather than replacing, removing all of our cutlery before we were done eating, and a desire for a bit more sauce on our plates ( because it was that good). Can't wait to return. Looking forward to many more fabulous meals here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie4lifeDined on 8/30/2014The beet and grapefruit salad, the potatoes, and the chocolate torte were divine. Halibut was very good. The peach pie was not worth the calories. Crust was not great, though the fruit was delicious. Spanish red wine was enjoyable and well priced. Service was friendly and very efficient. Overall, we enjoyed the experience very much and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NittiVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food is very fresh and very tasty. selection changes daily. At first look , prices seem reasonable but you need to know that the portions are very small. Noisy and not very comfortable chairs. i guess we expected a more upscale place, but it is very casual neighborhood kind of place. worth going for the food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJDSGDined on 8/29/2014Menu language is obscure even to experienced diners. Choices were very limited and were unappealing. The larger plates have a small portion and the medium plate (squid) was very small in relation to the price. We will not be back.
- papagenaDined on 8/28/2014the food was great, especially the cauliflower appetizer and the salad. The entrees were very good and the blueberry desert was outstanding. But - there was one drawback -- The noise level is really high. My friend and I had to keep repeating ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What did you say?!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Noise level impossible. Need to shout to be heard. Makes it hard to enjoy the generally good food or your companions.Special Features:
- This place is fantasticgenesDined on 8/26/2014Brian and John have done a fantastic job with the farm to table concept. I've met many of the growers that Brian uses and they are very serious about quality, variety, and sustainability. What Brian Huston prepares from these fine local (if you consider La Quercia in Norwalk, IA as sort of local) ingredients is great. Boltwood may be a little noisy for some, but your mouth should be doing something beside talking while your there.Special Features:
- Attentive serviceRoditaDined on 8/26/2014Tasty food, but the noise level made conversation impossible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second visitfredDined on 8/24/2014On our 1st visit we found a problem of a high noise level. On this visit we noticed new noise cushions installed on the ceilings. This seemed to work & lower the noise level significantly. My only suggestion now would be to monitor the sound level of the music played over the speakers. The waiters & support staff were very aware of the needs of all of the patrons. We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- RandomRunnerDined on 8/23/2014Be prepared to wait for your reserved table, your drinks, and your server. The bar and service floor were way under staffed the night we visited (a Saturday). The food was great but I'm not sure it made up for having to wait 45 minutes for my first drink (ordered at the bar upon arrival and not served until we finally got to our table). I understand tables flipping a little slow, but if a customer has to wait, don't make them wait drinkless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Evanston!JilloVIPDined on 8/22/2014Whole branzino with Itallian greens- delicious! Charred squid- delicious! Brick chicken and short ribs- very good! Fried potatoes and marinated eggplant- delicious! The desserts were the weakest part of the meal- the chocolate cake was dry, but accompanies by fabulous gelato. The peach & blackberry pie was ok- the fruit wasn't the tastiest, but liked that it wasn't too sweet. The mascarpone cream accompaniment was delicious but didn't brighten up the pie- some more of that great gelato would have been better. Will go back soon, but beware - VERY noisy! Noise abatement has been promised for near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, but challengingTBCEVIPDined on 8/22/2014The kitchen at Boltwood is terrific, the food is great, and the hard-working chefs are fun to watch. You will need that viewing pleasure because the noise is so loud, you can't talk, and the service, while cheerful, is slow and disorganized. Once your food is ordered, it will come promptly. But good luck placing that order or getting a drink - both simple tasks took an hour. Yes, one hour.Special Features:
- Trixe and BevoTrixie40VIPDined on 8/22/2014No hostess to greet us, others having to wait outside as the hostess desk is 3 feet from the front door. Once seated at a table the size of a cocktail table, in-line with other diners, we waited 10 minutes for a waiter. The noise level is crazy. The diners seating next to us left the restaurant after 15 minutes because of the noise level and not being able to chat with their guests. The food and service was far below our expectations. We chose Boltwood in order to book a small gathering with friends from out-of-town; however, we will not consider Boltwood for a group, nor for the two of us. Cheese board (a joke), short-ribs were thin slices of dried meat, sirloin was presented as two small squares of meat without seasonings.
- Just OkayMAC1Dined on 8/22/2014Early seating, but noise level still excessive by end of meal. Cocktails and wines priced high for amount of pour. All food tasted great. Rabbit with sausage, cream corn and kale worked well together. Side of potatoes was outstanding. Beef short ribs Korean preparation was delicious, but ribs were cut across the bone so amount of meat was very small. Ask for the bread....you'll enjoy it's texture and freshness.
- Better than goodgplattinumDined on 8/22/2014Sweetbreads were fabulous as was the beet &grapefruit salad. We also had the rabbit. It was good but not amazing. Portions were reasonable instead of excessive. Wait staff was nice but service was a little slow. Would definitely go again !Special Features:
- Ate there , don't need to go backMmmmmVIPDined on 8/21/2014We began poorly. They told us they couldn't find our reservation, I showed them the printed confirmation. They took it from me, told me I had no reservation but they'd find a table for me. We were seated at community table next to kitchen, so loud couldn't hear conversation across table from me. Child sitting next to me pounded on table with spoon entire evening. Food while delicious was overpriced for what I was getting.My husband ordered "Sand Dabs". After picking out 20 bones(yes he counted), he decided it was too much work and stopped eating. For this "caliber" restaurant/price the fish should've been fileted better. The gnudi was wonderful but expensive for what it is and portion size. May be POPULAR spot on North Shore but not for me!Special Features:
- Delicious and friendlySsuthsDined on 8/21/2014Fresh, interesting food and very friendly staff. Noise level is medium. Excellent dishes, drinks and desserts. Yum!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014The food was great but the wait staff didn't seem to have their act together and there was little coordination between the kitchen and wait staff and people clearing tables. We ordered a bottle of wine and before we even got the wine someone attempted to take a wine glass from the table thinking that it was used. This sort of thing happened multiple times throughout the night. There also wasn't any introduction of the food as it arrived on the table - the food was just dropped off. This happened even with the cheese course and we had to ask what the 3 different cheeses were. Then we also had to ask for bread as the cheese course arrived with no crackers or bread to eat it with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PurslanePercyDined on 8/20/2014Innovative foodie dishes prepared and presented thoughtfully. Upbeat, knowledgeable personnel. Great place for dinner, but it gets loud, and drinks are a touch on the stingy side. Overall, a welcome addition to the Evanston restaurant mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/20/20142nd time there. first time so-so food and painfully deafening. 2nd time it was apparent that they were working on the sound issues, and i thought the food was delicious.....also a nice switch from the original bread. definitely will go back againSpecial Features:
- Does not live up to its billingChidinerVIPDined on 8/19/2014While the flavor combinations of the food were very interesting (among other things we had the perch and duck), the chef's imposition of his heavy salted food distracted from what should have been excellent dishes. For a restaurant trying to position itself as a high-end option, the high noise level, uncomfortable seating (the chairs are horrible), and less-than-attentive service make it feel more like a fast-food restaurant. Without any improvements Boltwood is one of the most expensive restaurants in Evanston providing a barely above-average experience in food and atmosphere.
- Fun New PlacePeggyVIPDined on 8/19/2014The place was buzzing on a Tuesday night!! Our waitress was bright, friendly and attentive. One main course was fabulous, one was terrible. To their credit, we were not billed for the one bad meal. We would definitely return. It's evolving into a great place!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014Great service. Our witress was very knowledgeable about the menu and the wines. She was also very freindly. The food was creative but extremely salty. We most likely won't go back.
- Fantastic!GDotDined on 8/17/2014We celebrated my mom's birthday at Boltwood and loved the restaurant. Great staff and amazing food, especially Hanger steak and those incredible potatoes!Special Features: