Boll Weevil Cafe & Sweetery
10 Ninth Street
Augusta, GA 30901Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Boll Weevil Cafe & Sweetery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebollweevil.com/
- Phone: 7067227772
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Harrison
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our catering services are box lunches, sandwich trays, and whole desserts, as well as full and half sheet cakes.
A word from Boll Weevil Cafe & Sweetery
Our approach to dining is to provide a totally unique, high quality experience with fresh breads, home baked desserts, and great tasting, chef prepared dishes at casual dining prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boll Weevil Cafe & Sweetery reviews from OpenTable diners
- Overwhelmed Servers. What??OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/9/2013Upon entering the "NOT VERY BUSY" Boll Weevil Cafe, We were greeted and seated by a less than friendly hostess at a table so close to the door and the hostess stand that I was able to hear and could have greeted the next two parties that came in.I asked the hostess for a table further back in the dinning room (rememebr we are by the hostess stand) where we could have some better atmosphere other than the front door. The hostess told me that this was the only table she could seet us, because the server in this section was "next". Her words were "if I seat too many tables in one sections it will overwhelms the server." Are you kidding me? We sat down waited for 10 mins for service of ANY kind. We finally left, dissapointed!
- I love Boll Weevil. I enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013I love Boll Weevil. I enjoy the unique sandwiches and soups, but I crave the desserts! Wonderful place!Special Features:
- The pasta salad was horrible,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013The pasta salad was horrible, but the sandwiches were scrumptious! The desserts are what people go to Boll Weevil's for that is for sure!Special Features:
- This is a good place for dessertjolieivyDined on 2/14/2013This is a good place for dessert but I wouldn't go back for dinner... maybe lunch. But, on Valentines Day when we visited, they were out of ALL chocolate centered cakes.... which is what we wantedSpecial Features:
- A Charleston experience in AugustaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/22/2013Wonderful selections of desserts. A must visit in Augusta.
- 2nd visit this is restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/23/20122nd visit this is restaurant and will return a 3rd time soon.Special Features:
- our soup was barely warm,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2012our soup was barely warm, had to send it back to get microwaved, other than that a good experienceSpecial Features:
- Service was friendly. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012Service was friendly. Our group of seven ordered a variety of dishes to include dessert and everyone was pleased with their choice. The 7th heaven chocolate cake was to die for. I definitely would return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- This restaurant has gone downOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/12/2012This restaurant has gone down hill in terms of food and service. It took almost 30 minutes to get our lunch (and it was not even crowded) and then the register broke down and the waitress couldn't get us our check. She was very nice and professional; the slow service was not her fault. There was nothing special about the food. As it took so long to get our food, we did not get any of the sweets. I won't go back.
- Sweetery Only!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/1/2012Only go here for dessert! We were placed at a small table for 4, everyone had their salad/soup plus we ordered an appetizer-with drinks the table was crammed and there was no room for "sharing" plates. The main dish was out before we finished our appetizers and when food was tasted the rice and beans were refrigerator cold but the meat was hot. The waiter took the food back to the kitchen where they heated the rice-but did not remake the meat. This probably wouldn't have been too big of an issue except two people ordered the same meal and they couldn't tell us whose was whose. They comped the meal that we didn't eat-and served us wonderful desserts that we paid for. Desserts were wonderful.
- Our order consisted of: friedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Our order consisted of: fried green tomatoes, apple topped chops with a house salad, Havana chicken with potato soup, & strawberry cake. The fgt were good, but nothing to rave about. The tomatoes would have been better with more crisp & if they were homegrown! House salad & potato soup arrived after the main meal, so this was barely touched. The apple pork chops with feta and Havana chicken was really good & moist, but not much of it!! As for the environment, I didn't like it. It had so much more potential. The booths are very bad seating. I ended up leaning against the far wall just to keep comfortable. If you go here, stay away from the booths or bring a pillow!Special Features:
- We had a group of 4 for dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2012We had a group of 4 for dinner. For appetizer, we shared the Fried Green Tomatoes and Spinach Dip. Both were fantastic. We tried the Seafood Bisque and Tomato Apple soups. The Seafood Bisque was very good. The Tomato Apple really just tasted like a chunkier Campbell's tomato soup, you couldn't really tell they were apples instead of tomatoes. Our table ordered the Curious George, the Lumberg Club, the Jambalaya, and Havana Chicken. Everyone was happy with their meal. The bread on the sandwiches was amazing. We got desert to go, since we were stuffed from our meals. We tried the Red Velvet Cake and the Key Lime Pie. The Red Velvet Cake was amazing. The Key Lime Pie was good, but a little too sugary and not tart enough.Special Features:
- Charming resturant and theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2012Charming resturant and the food was good. The fried green tomatoes sauce was to die for!Special Features:
- I needed a place to meet upOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012I needed a place to meet up with dear friends where we could visit while our kids could be kids (ages 5 to 14) and the food was not fried. Tasty, reasonably priced meals with ridiculously large, delicious cakes! The fountain outside and close proximity to the river walk were a bonus! Oh, and the server was friendly and treated us very well - even was great with the kids.Special Features:
- Fabuloua desserts!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2012We went to the Boll Weevil in an effort to find a family friendly non-chain restaurant in Augusta. Bottom line--save room for desserts, they are fabulous. We had the chocolate cake with the cheese cake in the middle (called 7th heaven I think) and it was superb. We also had the fire roasted fugi apple tomato soup which was very tasty. My husband liked his burger and our son liked the gumbo. The restaurant is in an old cotton warehouse which had numerous fires. The old, old beams are charred so it has a very interesting vibe. The levee next to the restaurant has a lovely brick walkway so after the fabulous desserts you can take a walk!Special Features:
- I'm so glad I finally tookOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2012I'm so glad I finally took everyone's advice and had a chance to eat at The Boll Weevil! It was amazing! Endless variety of wines, great food and AMAZING desserts!Special Features:
- We were just passing throughBartolottaFanVIPDined on 6/27/2012and happened for find them on OpenTable. Dynamite desserts! Leave room - if you can - for the 1/4 cake-sized piece of any of the desserts. Our table of four each ordered a different variety and no one was able to finish their own, despite how delicious they were.
- The food (sandwich, soup,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/24/2012The food (sandwich, soup, salad) was good & basic. The cakes are delicious. The restaurant needs to be better maintained...floor swept and tables cleaned.
- I would refer the Boll WeevilOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2012I would refer the Boll Weevil as eclectic. It was small with several different rooms, but felt very friendly. It had a limited menu, but I thought the food was good, especially the dessert, which it is noted for. The waiter was efficient and the service was good and timely. We will go back again.Special Features:
- GREAT RESTURANT ! FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012GREAT RESTURANT ! Fabulous menu, with lots to choose from. wonderful desserts- so if you don't have time to eat there, grab a dessert to take homeSpecial Features:
- Great place for traveling through.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/3/2012I always love looking for the little home town places when traveling and this is just that. It is set off of downtown and in a perfect spot for tourist but it looks also like a place the locals will go. The price was amazing for the food. I would have paid more for what I got because it was so delicious. The waitress was really nice and friendly.Special Features:
- Food was good but for a placeDisappointedDined on 5/29/2012Food was good but for a place known for desserts, the Tiramisu was the worst I have ever tasted. It looked pretty but they forgot the ingredients.Special Features:
- Tropical DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2012Good food and excellent dessert as always! Tried the Tropical Dream cake for the first time and it truly is a dream! Absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- great desserts if you likeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2012great desserts if you like big slices of cake and the key lime pie has a taste of Key West
- Entrees left some to be desired,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012Entrees left some to be desired, ie they were flavorful but by the time they got to the table food was not hot. However, desserts were amazing!!! Selection and portions of desserts were quite impressive!Special Features:
- Great selection of regionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012Great selection of regional microbrews, excellent service, the only place I will eat fried green tomatoes!Special Features:
- Great dessert, otherwise so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2012The entrées were decent, but nothing too memorable. Also, the service was lacking. Server wasn't knowledgable about the wines or the beer they carried. On the positive side, the dessert was unbelievable. I would recommend going elsewhere for dinner, then hitting this spot for dessert!
- Boll Weevil Cafe & SweeteryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/22/2012Boll Weevil Cafe & Sweetery provided a nice relaxed touch with tasty food. I especially enjoyed the tomato apple soup. My server mentioned that it was her favorite soup and that people either loved or hated it. I asked to sample it, received a sample from our server, and then proceeded to finish it in no time! We bought sandwiches that we enjoyed. Oh yeah, we sampled the fried green tomatoe appetizer. Be sure to get it! We took home (which was about 3 hours away) two normal slices of cake - Hummingbird and Lemon something. They are moist, not too sugary, and yummy.Special Features:
- Nice Hidden GemLarryDined on 4/7/2012Good food and good service. Nice menu choices and great desserts. Would definitely revisit.Special Features:
- Wonderful food. We stumbledOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2012Wonderful food. We stumbled upon this place and were very pleasantly surprised. The desserts can't be beat!Special Features:
- We were so happy with ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2012We were so happy with our decision to try the Boll Weevil Cafe!! We enjoyed our meal very much and we had a great server. he was so kind and special. We don't remember his name, but he's been there a couple of years....Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/3/2012We really enjoyed our dinner at the Boll Weavil. The southern food did not disappoint. Our only complaint was that our server must have been new and couldn't answer any of our questions about the food menu (and seemed unwilling to really help).Special Features:
- Worth a tryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/3/2012The Boll Weevil is a one-of-a-kind Augusta tradition. The Boll Weevil is always delicious...always worth a visit...Try their unique tomato apple soup! Leave room for dessert...they are legendary. The Boll Weevil is a family favorite!Special Features:
- The food was delicious. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/1/2012The food was delicious. The desserts were delicious and oversized. One slice could easily be split for two people. We splurged and ruined two peoples diet with two desserts. Shrimp and grits came out cold but delicious. I still would eat there again and is worth trying.Special Features:
- It is fairly simple: SkipOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2012It is fairly simple: Skip the dinner menu and go straight to desserts. Shrimp and grits were OK, but bland. Steak looked like it was straight off a buffet line. Chicken and spinach sandwich was tasteless and terrible. Server was marginally attentive, but not very knowledgeable. Desserts, however, were top shelf. From the 7th Heaven to the strawberry cake, the sweets make the place worth a visit - after you eat dinner somewhere else.
- Since my friend and I areFINEDININGCAPVIPDined on 3/25/2012Since my friend and I are not from Augusta, and my GPS was of no help, we ended up calling the restaurant for directions. They were very patient in explaining how to get there. The food was good and plentiful. Pretty location near Augusta's riverwalk. We have already recommended the Boll Weevil Cafe to others who will be traveling through Augusta.
- This establishment is so blah.DawnDined on 3/19/2012This establishment is so blah. It has absolutely no ambiance. It is decorated to the bare minimum. Bare tables; paper napkins with very cheap silverware. The wait staff were not dressed professionally; casual street clothes at best. Very very disappointed. We did not stay for dinner. We were so unimpressed that we had one glass of wine and an appetizer.
- The food was very good. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2012The food was very good. We had the nachos as an app and both of us had fish for dinner. Enjoyed it all! Our waiter was fairly attentive, which I appreciated.
- My husband & I stopped overnightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2012My husband & I stopped overnight in Augusta the evening after we got married almost seven years ago. We ate dinner at the Boll Weevil on the recommendation of a friend, so it has happy memories for us. When we recently revisited the Boll Weevil, the hostess was delighted to seat us in the same place. If the food is great, the desserts are legendary. When I posted a picture on Facebook, I was inundated with comments from others who had dined there. My sister remarked that it made her wish that she could teleport a piece of cake! If you like "off the beaten path" type of places, this is a gem you shouldn't miss when you're in Augusta.Special Features:
- Entree's did not impress.BeedonDined on 2/18/2012Entree's did not impress. The desert menu is amazing.