BOKX 109 American Prime
399 Grove Street
Newton, MA 02462Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
BOKX 109 American Prime
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.newtonbokx.com/
- Phone: (617) 454-3399
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5pm-10pm | Friday & Saturday: 5pm-11pm
Bar & Lounge: 4pm-1am Everyday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jarrod Moiles
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from BOKX 109 American Prime
Welcome to BOKX 109 American Prime, where exquisite dining and professional service work together like Sea Salt and cracked black pepper. At BOKX, we take the most local farm to table ingredients and choice selections of all natural meats and fish, focusing on humane, sustainable farms, and celebrate quality recipes that will leave you satisfied, healthy and eager to return. Under the watchful palate of Executive Chef Steve Coe, BOKX 109 comes alive with a careful blend of culinary creativity and consistency that you can rely on.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BOKX 109 American Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (6)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- JoeyweitzDined on 11/15/2014Food was ice cold when it arrived, also very very salty.
- Jen29momVIPDined on 11/6/2014The sauce on the grilled shrimp tasted like they poured it out of a jar. The fries were delicious though.Special Features:
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmedMSB222Dined on 10/25/2014Based on the prices this restaurant ($50 for a steak) should be one of the finest steakhouses in the city, comparable to Capital Grill. Instead, we ended up with a big bill and a disappointing meal. Plus the music in the restaurant was a bad 80s soundtrack that ruined the ambience. And it was brightly light like a supermarket. Maybe good for a drink and appetizer, but stay away for any serious dining.
- Boxx notKnowswhathelikesDined on 10/2/2014Service was overly casual bordering on rudely aggresive. Portions too small, prices too high. For $100/person go to a real restaurant, not a suburban hotel pick-up joint--unless, of course, you are looking for a suburban hotel pick up joint.
- girlfriendsDined on 9/26/2014Great place for steaks. Live music at the bar. Modern space with lots of tables. Serve you cotton candy for the table at the end of dessert. Fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great place to eat and drinkLuvdininghereDined on 9/9/2014Excellent food, excellent bar, love going there. The service is outstanding, never have had a bad meal or experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The service was good but the prices were terrifically inflated.
- Great all aroundDaniLDined on 8/30/2014I was looking for a great way to spend a summer day and found it at Bokx 109. Not only does it have a lovely pool with attentive staff, but the restaurant was fantastic. Although it's a touch pricey, the service and atmosphere were worth it to me. I am hoping for one last summer hurrah before fall descends on us all, and I will be coming right back here! :-)Special Features:
- Outstanding Prime Rib at BOKXNewOrleansFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/25/2014Had a wonderful meal at BOKX. The waiter suggested a prime rib dinner presented three different ways. Delicious! Ask for Kevin S. He was terrificSpecial Features:
- The following 659 reviews are from the BOKX 109 American Prime reviews archive.
- not so goodTomasDined on 7/17/2014This place came highly recommended, however, my salmon was over cooked and my friends meat was not so tender so I don't think we will be dining there again.Special Features:
- HorribleMw02Dined on 6/15/2014When we arrived there was no hostess (10am) and there was a woman in a concert t shirt and short shorts cleaning the bar. She never looked up to help or call a hostess to seat us. We were finally seated. The food had no taste at the brunch and they ran out of everything. So my husband and I ordered off the menu after we tasted the dry bland eggs. We both got omelets. They were so over salted I went thru 3 glasses of water. The kids had the brunch. The food was sparse. The table the brunch is on is so high you can barely look into the serving dishes. There were no condiments. The bread for the buffet was just sitting in the bag. Everyone was reaching in pawing all the pieces. To round it all off, the didn't serves alcohol at brunch!Special Features:
- EmbarassedMoBeeVIPDined on 5/30/2014My best friend & I have been to BOKX 109 many, many times & have always enjoyed it. This was different! We brought a friend to celebrate her birthday. The Caesar salad, generally delicious, had very little dressing. We were not asked if we wanted anchovies, they were just put on the salad. I had a cheese plate, I needed to ask the server to tell me what the cheeses were. He was a bit uncertain. No coffee refill was offered. We asked for a surprise special dessert to be brought for our friend's birthday with 'happy birthday' written on the plate. The server acted as though he had no idea what we were talking about. All in all, what has always been a lovely dining experience, was anything but!!!
- Bokx 109KEELDined on 5/17/2014It was my first time dining there. The atmosphere was nice with plenty of spacious tables. The service was terrific. I had to send my steak back because it was under cooked. Then it came back overcooked. The sides were delicious . I would give this another chanceSpecial Features:
- Not so good birthdayBusyMomDined on 5/17/2014First, our server was great. Service was slow but I don't think it was him, I think it was the restaurant. I had made a reservation through Open Table for my Husband's 50th Birthday. They called to confirm the Birthday the day before and then NOTHING when we got there. No acknowledgement at all. Appetizers were good. My husband and son's steak was good. Mine was not at all good. Overcooked and way too much fat. I ordered the same thing as my husband. His was great. Not mine. Desserts were good. Sides were good. Very expensive steaks were hit or miss.
- DisappointingBusybeeDined on 5/11/2014We've had diner here, so decided to try it for the Mother's Day brunch; what a disappointment! The menu was prefixed with odd to impossible items to pair from the first and second courses. First courses mainly lunch type while second courses were mostly egg based. We don't particularly care for a combination of seared tuna followed by eggs Benedict with short ribs, for example. The food itself was bland, very average, making it way overpriced. We could've had much better omelettes at our local diner for a fraction of the price. Not to mention that it was strange just to offer "complimentary" champagne to the mother and not per adult. We've been to other brunches and definitely won't be coming back.Special Features:
- great celebration dinnertotalcounselorDined on 5/1/2014great location to celebrate a very special birthday for a dear family memberSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and the drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/5/2014Excellent food and the drinks at the bar were great. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday dinnerKathyVIPDined on 3/30/2014I made a note in my Open Table reservation that it was my mother's 76th birthday. The staff could not have been more congratulatory! From the hostess, to the wait staff and even the manager stopped by. They made the whole experience delightful for me and my mom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happening placemerrDined on 3/28/2014Feels like a happening place. Mostly young adults. Very noisy. The food is really good. No disappointments in any of our 4 meals. The restaurant overall is great. However, it is located in an old, tired building of a hotel that is very off-putting when you drive up . Actually, the hotel looks abandoned. Glad we went in because the restaurant was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014I took my son to this restaurant for his birthday dinner as he was looking for a good steak dinner. The restaurant is nicely decorated and there is an active bar scene. It was a bit noisy, but manageable. My son chose the surf and turf which when it came was undercooked. He needed to send it back and when it returned it was better, but sill a bit on the rare side. He did not want to return it a second time and made do. I had the pork chop which was tasty, was quite salty. I would have preferred much less salt. The dessert of chocolate molten cake was disappointing. It was not warm as described. Service was only ok and our waiter was a bit unkempt, not what you would expect at this higher end restaurant.Special Features:
- Always consistentMcDocDined on 3/6/2014You get exactly what you pay for - Good Cocktails, Good Wine, Great Steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will not go back!FairVIPDined on 2/28/2014This place needs to be rebranded and acquire a new Chef and identity. I hate those stupid paper bag menus which you can't read, POOR food descriptions, EXTREMELY limited and pretty expensive menu ~ $43.00 for a 14 oz NY Sirloin which came with NOTHING, The average side was $10.00 add to that a couple of drinks, tax, tip, valet gratuity, and you have spent $175.00 for something pretty average. Not a fan of ala-cart menus like this. Overpriced, well below my expectations for food quality, menu variety and overall value. I'm done with this place.
- Delicious SteakTrenewtonDined on 2/16/2014This location has amazing food. The service was great! The drinks were superb. The seating areas are gorgeous! High-end Boston feel in Newton MA with plenty of free parking as it is attached to Hotel Indigo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timePaulDined on 2/15/2014My girlfriend and I enjoyed a very good night of amazing food and drinks and will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- stay awayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014The waiters description of the food was so far off what we actually Got. The fish was over cooked and the steak was under cooked. We don't mind spending good money for food good and a good experience, but we felt like we threw away our money. I will never go back
- Disappointing Valentine's DinnerViolet3Dined on 2/14/2014My fiancé and I, we were quickly disappointed when we saw there was a fixed menu. I have food restrictions and there was no chicken on the menu. I was allergic to the two appetizers and was told I could not have the green salad instead (it was on the menu). Is it that big of a deal to give a green salad instead of the other options? The desert was essentially a muffin. Had we known the menu would be so restricting and our server so inflexible, we would not have picked this restaurant to share our Valentine's dinner. In fact, we will never eat here again, not so much because of the food, but the server who refused to substitute the appetizer with a simple green salad. There are plenty of other restaurants that want our patronage.
- Best food, service and wine list!!LuvdininghereDined on 2/11/2014The best food and service!1 Love your restaurant!! Will send anyone I know here. Have been coming here for years. Great Bartenders!! Thank you for great service..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Beet Salad Ever!DebraDined on 1/25/2014If you are a fan of beet salad - Bokx 109's will blow you away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine but....TNeilVIPDined on 1/7/2014Everything was ok but nothing stuck out as special enough to warrant another visit any time soon. The waiter was adequate and the steaks were fine and the sides were average (except the mushrooms which were dried up / shriveled) but the prices are similar to Del Friscos and Abe & Louie's such that I expected to be impressed...but came away just contented.Special Features:
- Food was great when it came.SarahcdVIPDined on 1/6/2014Food was great when it came. We were a party of 6 on a Monday night it took forever to served the food. When it arrived it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/31/2013Caesar salad is exceptional and Rib Eye on the bone was very flavorful. The cookie experience for dessert had really good chewy cookies that we were able to dip in warm chocolate sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous dinner for two!MeaganVIPDined on 12/6/2013Most of my time spent at Bokx is for corporate functions during the week. However, my fiancé and I decided to hit Bokx for a Friday night date night. We had a wonderful night. Our server was fantastic and the food was out of this world. The best steak tartare and carpaccio I have had yet and amazing fries. We will def. be going back to Bokx.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Facility problemsWillow21Dined on 11/29/2013Red glasses to wide for many hands. Very hard to hold. Dining chairs too low for tables. Booth benches also too low. Dining chairs too hard to move in and out. Need glides or casters. Menus are too stylish and not very patron friendly. Ditch them for something easier to navigate. They are also difficult to read because of the poor lighting. Classy lighting is no good if the guest cannot read the menu. Food very good and beautifully presented. Just fix the other stuff and you will have a really nice place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, OK foodLMF101Dined on 11/26/2013Went to Bokx 109 for a birthday dinner. The waiter was exceptionally good, the overall service was excellent, the grilled calamari was great but the meats were good - nothing special. Excellent chocolate cake for dessert though.
- Was good. We will not be goingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2013Was good. We will not be going back. Just don't think the cost = the food quality.Special Features:
- fine but not amazingMarshaDined on 10/27/2013Was this the best 35 dollar steak I'd ever had? No. Was it perfectly nice? Sure. If you want a fairly nice meal with easy parking and a fairly convenient location, this is a good choice. Probably would be good to impress parents with conservative food tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only averagePumpkinHeadGalDined on 10/18/2013While the service was ok, our server, kept trying to upsell everything we ordered. Mind you both my husband and I ordered $48 entrees, and we didn't ask for recommendations. He also balked when I ordered a non alcoholic drink, oh the horror I didn't order wine with my surf and turf! Sometimes people may be on antibiotics, maybe even pregnant and can't order booze. Don't ever question it. I would just be reiterating everything else some of the recent reviews mentioned, so I will spare you all from a long review. Overall, the food was good. However, they are seriously over priced and you must valet ($7) which is inconvienent considering it's located in Newton, not Back Bay. Don't think we will be going back anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fair - price was high!AlanKDined on 10/14/2013Went on Monday of Columbus Day weekend. Restaurant was less than half-full and the service was still awful. Big wait was between appetizers and dinner. The apps were excellent - Caesar Salad and antipasto. Dinner was fair. My parents ordered the surf and turf and scallops. The lobster was tough and not sweet, and the meat was not cooked to requested temp. The scallops were fine. My girlfriend and I had the $38.00 lobster cauldron, of which Legals makes a Cioppino, which is better and cheaper. The mashed potato trio, which I like so much, was lukewarm and dry. After dessert we waited at least another 10 minutes for the check, which of course left an impression. Although I've been there before, I'm not certain I'll be rushing back.Special Features:
- A place ofr good steakP2EEDined on 10/2/2013We went there for steak. It was above average, not the best I've ever had but much better than "average". Price was reasonable.Special Features:
- TypicalEatoutalotVIPDined on 9/25/2013Pretty typical hotel restaurant, but there is no place else near to this hotel. Good for conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.