1729 North Halsted
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bokachicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 337-6070
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily at 5PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lee Wolen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Boka Catering Company is available for holiday parties, private dinners at home, weddings of all sizes and corporate functions. Award winning Chef Giuseppe Tentori can design a custom menu to fit your needs. Please contact Abby at 312.238.9896.
- Special Events: To request more information, please visit http://www.bokagrp.com/eventsandcatering.php
or call 312.337.6070
A word from Boka
Michelin starred Boka Restaurant has been a fixture in Chicago dining since 2003. A new chapter of the restaurant begins with the acquisition of new Chef/Partner Lee Wolen. Lee who honed his skills at both El Bulli and Eleven Madison Park, was recently awarded a Michelin Star and 4 stars from Chicago Magazine for his work at The Lobby.He was also named Breakout Chef of the year by Time Out Chicago in 2013. Boka’s space was given a complete re-design by acclaimed designer Simeone Deary (Elysian Hotel) in January of 2014. In its 10 year history Boka's Chefs have received both Food and Wine’s coveted Best New Chefs in 2008 and Best New Pastry Chef in 2013. Boka's food features contemporary, American cuisine, focusing on seasonality and sourcing as many local ingredients as possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Boka reviews from OpenTable diners
292 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (250)special occasion (198)romantic (157)neighborhood gem (122)notable wine list (106)hot spot (81)good for groups (49)great for outdoor dining (35)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Never disappointsniki81Dined on 11/22/2014This was our second trip to Boka, the first being a couple of years ago. I had read that they had a new chef and new menu. I did not notice any remarkable differences, but sincerely loved the place both visits. The service is friendly and prompt. The food preparation is unique and elegant. We enjoyed the poached egg appetizer tremendously. I never knew a poached egg could be so delicious. I had the venison and it was prepared perfectly. My husband had a fish. I can't remember exactly what is was. I think it was a bit strong for him, but I loved it. Again, prepared perfectly. No dessert this trip, but again, always a classic favorite. We do not live in CHI, so I appreciate that Boka is not touristy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014I liked the atmosphere. I'll probably be back for a drink in the future, but not for dinner. I liked the duck entree I got, but we didn't get an appetizer or dessert because the menu wasn't descriptive at all. It's just a list of ingredients for each dish so nothing really jumped out at us. Wine list was good. It was affordable.
- Very strange vibe....OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/21/2014Our table request - by the "living wall" - was not honored. I don't think the Maitre D' could have sat us at a table any more removed from their famed "living wall". Service was very professional, obviously practiced speech, yet absent for notable periods of time. Food was excellent. Patrons ranged from a girl - and she was obviously a girl in her late teens-to-early 20s - seated with a man far too old to be her father....maybe another male relative who behaved rather curiously for a relative, to a group of frat-boy types with cougars in tow who were not there to dine that evening, but to keep adding alcohol to their already saturated livers. Overall, rather strange for a place that obviously is aiming for a different demographic, and of course, disappointing for diners like myself.Special Features:
- Fantastic birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/21/2014We made reservations for a friend's birthday and were blown away. The entire night was great, from service to food, we were very very impressed. Food presentation was gorgeous and hats off to Genie Kwon, the desserts were amazing. (Side note: there was an intoxicated couple across from our table that could not keep their hands to themselves, that was an eyesore during dinner but what can you do)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful eveningCBrowDined on 11/21/2014Went there for dinner to celebrate a birthday. The staff recognized it was a birthday dinner which was a nice touch. Service was good - very helpful and polite. Food was great! I had the venecin and chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service but value disappointmentTorontogalDined on 11/21/2014The service was excellent but the portions were too small for the cost. Poor wine selection even though they had a special wine by glass extractor. Too much sauce and there were no green/vegetable dishes! I was disappointed after the hype.
- Unforgettable - Just Really Superb In Every WayJustpassingthruAustinDined on 11/20/2014I don't know where to start. Everything- the greeting, taking of the coats, a personal escort to the table, presentation of the drink and dinner menus by the waiter, world class cocktails, almost invisible wait staff yet our water glasses were always full, wine glasses poured appropriately and never empty, impeccable service with an intimate knowledge of the menu and preparation......and then the food- W O W. It's easy to spend a lot of money here, but the value received makes an evening spent here seem like such a bargain. I am simply amazed and thankful I discovered Boka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but not worth a trip.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/20/2014The room is nice and the service is great, but the food is a bit rich and too many flavor contrast. My entree was fish and that's all there was, except for something that might have been mashed potatoes under the fish. Hard to tell, though, because there was so little of it.
- DisappointedfoodloverVIPDined on 11/20/2014We were so excited to come back - but the restaurant has changed a lot. Very disappointed.
- Great food, very nice placeDanielVIPDined on 11/19/2014Went to Boka with my wife and another couple. Great food, unrushed, super attentive service. Not a place I would bring my kids, but a great location for a romantic dinner. You could go casual or dressy very comfortably. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stimulating favorsTasteofOldTownDined on 11/18/2014This story at this restaurant is the complex and contrasting flavors in each dish. The chef combines contrasting flavors and textures of each dish to create a "playground" for your nose, mouth, and tongue. Sweet and sour, aromatic and dry, smooth and textured- It is an interesting and complex experience. The ambiance is pleasant and stff friendly and knowledgeable but if you go just for relaxation without some attention ton complex flavors, you are missing out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014Our server, Eric, was great. Before we ordered I was asking him about the ingredients in some of the entrees and it explained it was because I have a gluten intolerance. Without saying anything to me, he notified the kitchen of my allergy and they brought out a sampling of some delicious gluten free soup, and then some gluten free bread for me to have before my meal arrived. The atmosphere was perfect for a conversation but not too quiet where it felt super stuffy. Very cool restaurant and amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic DinnerGonzo70VIPDined on 11/15/2014Boka is one of our go to restaurants for a romantic, enjoyable, delicious dinner. So consistent; impressive cuisine and incredibly friendly service. Venison is one of my favorite foods and the version I recently consumed at Boka was about the best preparation I have ever consumed; amazing! Loved the octopus starter and the sunchoke soup as well. Already itching to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boka even better than beforeGraceBKVIPDined on 11/14/2014I have been a fan of Boka for many years. But this was the first time we have returned since they closed and reinvented themselves. The results are even better than before. Both of us agreed it was the best meal we have eaten in Chicago in some time. The roasted carrot salad is divine- I shared this with my husband but would have preferred it all for myself. Other dishes- the octopus, the walleye, our chocolate cake were all outstanding but the best entree was the venison.Expertly prepared and the flavor was excellent. It would be my choice for next time if still on the menu. Our waitress was great and the room is comfortable. As you can tell, I am already planning my return meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food, Service and DrinksLaurenDined on 11/14/2014This restaurant gave me a pleasant surprise. It was my first time dining here, and I loved everything about it. Loved the ambiance, the food and the wine was out of this world. The cocktails looked great, and the other people in our party had some good beer. Service was also spectacular. I would go back as soon as I am in Chicago again. Delicious all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The New BokaAgnes04VIPDined on 11/14/2014We truly enjoyed our Boka date night this past Friday. Service - impeccable. Matt and Kyle, managers, were very welcoming and truly cared about our dining experience. We chatted for a bit...they were both super nice. Bar - Tim, the bar manager, does a superb job on the cocktails. I had the Bee's Knees...perfectly balanced gin drink with honey and lemon. Tim is very personable and a great bartender...thanks again! Dinner - what an awesome experience! Chef Lee (who also came out to say hello) is super talented. We enjoyed: Heirloom carrot salad - what a creative take on a salad...the smoked goat cheese was a standout. One of the best salads I've ever had (and I eat a salad every day :) Ricotta Gnudi - pillowy soft and super flavorful Chicken - top 5 in the city for me (and I also eat chicken almost every day...lol). Loved the idea of brioche under the skin. Cool idea that adds so much flavor to the dish! Walleye - nice, subtle dish...loved the mushrooms. Desserts were great as well...overall a memorable dining experience. Boka is totally deserving of the Michelin start (congrats again). Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLnAdiningDined on 11/11/2014The hostess was cheery and happy to see us upon entering. The service staff was very knowledgeable and friendly and our server was professional but warm and was always there when we had a question about the food. The food was amazing! We did not have a bad course and we enjoyed the tasting menu which was 5 courses with pairings. My date and I left satisfied and would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service top notchTheaterFanaticVIPDined on 11/8/2014I keep reviewing Boka because they deserve the great ratings. Their wait staff excels in professionalism and efficiency. The food is just outstanding -- always an excellent vegetarian option (this time roasted broccoli). The chicken was fantastic and the Ricotta dish with mushrooms was imaginative and so good I had to share. The venison loin was beautiful and I tasted someone's heirloom carrots and hope it's on the menu the next time I am there. SO WORTH a reservation even if not for pre-theater dining.Special Features:
- This place is a gemjearossDined on 11/7/2014Found Boka after reading a blip about the chef in a food magazine. it was well worth it. The food, service and atmosphere were all phenomenal. There was an error with one entree and it was quickly corrected and some drinks were comped. This is a place anyone would enjoy. I work as a chef in Florida and am picky, I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not WonderfulDiningElleDined on 11/6/2014Very disappointed in the food. Heirloom carrot salad was good. Scallop dish was great but completely unmemorable. Tried the Monkfish, but left it on the plate, spit out the one bite of short rib because it was all fat ( but the favor was good). Favorite part of the meal was dessert of poached pairs, pistachios- delish! Ambience very interesting. Sort of traditional masculine with Art Deco touches. Booths are great. Service very good.
- Dazzled!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014We were in town for 2 days and I had read reviews here on Open Table and boy did it exceed our expectations. There were 2 of us so we split plates. The gnudi and the carrot salad were both incredible in completely different ways. Then we split both the duck and the chicken and can not say enough about how amazing they were. Service was fantastic as well. Would definitely go back again and recommend to everyone!Special Features:
- Huge DisappointmentnonameDined on 11/1/2014So so food, tiny portions, very pricey ... and a very noisy front room... We had some gnocchi that was below average in taste and texture, short ribs that were salty and fatty, some really nice sturgeon, an overpriced bottle of wine from a boutique vineyard that left a lot to be desired. The service was very good and very helpful. We were seated next to a very loud table and were graciously moved to a quieter spot, even though the table was set up for a larger party.
- Getting better with ageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Boka's dinning room has undergone a design makeover. The menu is also new. Both are excellent. I would recommend the foie gras appetizer if you are a carnivore and the carrots if you aren't. Venison loin, scallops and chicken were all cooked expertly and the desserts were to die for.Special Features:
- Amazing and SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Food is impecible, vibrant, well crafted, and tastes spectacular. Well worth the money you spend on wonderful works of art. Environment and decor are modern with darker tones for a romantic feel. The rooms may tend to get noisy but that is just the sound of conversation and people having a good time. I highly recommend trying this place because you will have food that tickles your tastes and sensations that you generally can't get anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great eveningAKNorseChickDined on 11/1/2014When we have a very special occasion, Boka is our favorite spot. From the quirky and comfortable surroundings to the exceptional service to the carefully prepared dishes, Boka delivers. We love it.Special Features:
- Oh, the tastes!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014The taste combinations were wonderful! The artichoke soup comes with the "dry" ingredients in the bowl and then the wait staff pours in the creamy liquid. The octopus was tender; we shared and they split it for us, keeping intact their exceptional presentations. My scallops and the husband's venison were both presented with interesting added bits of complementary ingredients that made the meal. It was a tasting experience more than any place I have been. We went to a play afterwards and were not stuffed, but satisfied. The entree price was reasonable but the starters seemed high. The service was incredible; management deserves kudos for how flawlessly the gears mesh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Boka birthdayYoungDined on 11/1/2014The ambiance and the corner table banquette was perfect since we had a lot to talk about. The service was excellent!! They were very responsive and attentive. The soups were to die for, the fois gras the best I've had. However, we were a little disappointed with the broccoli entree. The blue cheese was too over powering and also overshadowed the wonderful scallops we shared. The broccoli was not notable for $22.Special Features:
- good food, rushed serviceAlexDined on 10/31/2014Food was great. Service was a bit rushed and uncomfortable. The espresso and desserts weren't all that great. But the chicken, wow, the chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJCBTDined on 10/30/2014Awesome food - orginal menus and delicious! My guests from Latin America loved it! Service was great also.Special Features:
- Truly A TreasureHockeygalDined on 10/30/2014Every dish is excellent. Very different preparation, adventurous and gutsy puts this wonderful restaurant in a class by itself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food = Great nightBestinChicagoDined on 10/29/2014I read a review of Boka on line and since I was in Chicago for a few days, made a reservation. We arrived early on Wednesday Evening, and it was great. Not many people in the restaurant when we arrived, and that changed while we were dining. Our server, Kim (I think), was wonderful. She gave us a tour of the restaurant and was very helpful in choosing our meals. All in all, from start to finish, the food, ambiance, and the service were top notch. I would highly recommend Boka to anyone who was looking for a great restaurant in Chicago for a special occasion.Special Features:
- The best meal I've ever hadmymouthisgratefulDined on 10/26/2014Everything was unbelievable and the service was superb. I had the most amazing grilled short ribs; the texture alone was out of this world. My girlfriend had a fantastic chicken entrée and they went above and beyond with a nice gesture for her birthday. I must recommend the fluke to anyone interested in dining at this lovely place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boka revistedWellfedbutdisappointedDined on 10/26/2014I have been to Boka many times but not recently. It used to be my go to restaurant for fine dining. I had forgotten what a wonderful restaurant it is. The food is artfully prepared and very satisfying. Two of the four of us had dietary restrictions and they bent over backwards accommodating us. Our server was top notch. I have eaten at many fine restaurants lately but this one is the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening, Highly RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014We were visiting Chicago with friends from London and we were able to go to several well known restaraunts during the week. Our friends from London thought Boka was the best restaraunt we ate at all week! Excellent food and service!Special Features:
- EVERYTHING WAS WONDERFULGastronomicalgalDined on 10/25/2014The food is terrific, the staff is delightful, and the chef is a gem... All in all, a wonderful evening and a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic placejazzerdoctorVIPDined on 10/25/2014Boka was great! The food was delicious with innovative flavor combinations. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Just the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014Boka has secured its spot as my favorite Chicago restaurant. Saturday was my third visit and I brought my mother who was visiting from out of town. Our server was so fantastic—he provided great food insights and wonderful wine suggestions. AND he was fun. What I love about Boka is that the food is consistently inventive and delicious, the service is always wonderful, helpful, and adds to the experience, while the interior is lovely, cozy and not pretentious. It's a wonderfully warm and inviting spot with some of the best food I've had. I actually just want to thank Boka for such a wonderful and memorable and fun night with my mom. Next I'm bringing my sister which will be another guaranteed great night.Special Features:
- Fabulous Evening8OutDined on 10/25/2014We went to Boka to celebrate our anniversary, which was a gift from our children. I would have to say it was probably the best meal we ever had. The place was beautiful and everyone from the girl at the front door to the many servers that helped at our table, were terrific. They were nice. friendly and made it a fabulous evening. We had no complaints. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelleentKaty09VIPDined on 10/25/2014Boka continues to be one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago. I have never had a bad experience here. the renovation of the space and the menu earlier this year has continued the high level of innovation with the food and the wine. The service also continues to be stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everythihg terrificRickDined on 10/24/2014Recommended by close friends who live in Chicago, we were first time diners. Service was great, wait person informed about the food and wine, appetizers, main course and dessert all really good. We split scallop entrée for appetizer, then had both the short rib and duck, which was about as good duck as I have ever had. An olive oil cake was great dessert. Would come back any time. This restaurant is next door to Alinea, but doesn't share a chef or kitchen. Yet the chef, formerly at 11 Madison Park in NYC, is a craftsman in his own right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.