1729 North Halsted
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bokachicago.com/
- Phone: 3123376070x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily at 5PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lee Wolen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Boka Catering Company is available for holiday parties, private dinners at home, weddings of all sizes and corporate functions. Award winning Chef Giuseppe Tentori can design a custom menu to fit your needs. Please contact Abby at 312.238.9896.
- Special Events: To request more information, please visit http://www.bokagrp.com/eventsandcatering.php
or call 312.337.6070
A word from Boka
Michelin starred Boka Restaurant has been a fixture in Chicago dining since 2003. A new chapter of the restaurant begins with the acquisition of new Chef/Partner Lee Wolen. Lee who honed his skills at both El Bulli and Eleven Madison Park, was recently awarded a Michelin Star and 4 stars from Chicago Magazine for his work at The Lobby.He was also named Breakout Chef of the year by Time Out Chicago in 2013. Boka’s space was given a complete re-design by acclaimed designer Simeone Deary (Elysian Hotel) in January of 2014. In its 10 year history Boka's Chefs have received both Food and Wine’s coveted Best New Chefs in 2008 and Best New Pastry Chef in 2013. Boka's food features contemporary, American cuisine, focusing on seasonality and sourcing as many local ingredients as possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Boka reviews from OpenTable diners
318 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (243)special occasion (227)romantic (168)neighborhood gem (107)notable wine list (99)hot spot (71)great for outdoor dining (52)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- GreatcozmDined on 9/14/2014From the chilled corn soup with crab to the tuna and roasted cauliflower entrees to the funky wall with animal portraits to the attentive and pleasant staff, this Michelin starred restaurant is a gem! And for avery reasonable price. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okramqDined on 9/13/2014My expectations were pretty high since this was a Michelin star restaurant. While the ambience was really great, the food itself didn't hit the mark for me. We split a salt cod ravioli starter which was not bad. For the entree, I had the seared sturgeon - the fish itself was very good but the summer beans didn't make a good combination. My husband got the roasted leg of lamb which again while the meat was perfectly cooked, it lacked flavor. We didn't stick to ordering the crowd favorites but when you go to a restaurant like this, the expectation is that mostly everything is above average. Overall, I felt like we overpaid for a pretty average meal. With the number of great restaurants in Chicago, I wouldn't call this a "must-visit".Special Features:
- Wonderful remakeMameVIPDined on 9/13/2014Loved our delicious and creative meal. Will return for sureSpecial Features:
- DisappointingcachaDined on 9/11/2014Made a reservation and when asked to sit on patio, was promptly served attitude. Beet salad was a bizarre combination of textures and flavors that didn't go together; seemed like fish meets gravel, though the beets were good. Foamed celery sauce with the Dorade kept me burping all night long and I couldn't digest the fish - disgusting combination for $35. Chocolate ganache was great. Was disappointed to have made the choice to celebrate a birthday there…too bad.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!FriendofafoodieDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I went to Boka to celebrate our anniversary and Boka's staff spoiled us! From start to finish, it was a class act complimented by their beautiful new dining room. We will definitely be back to Boka, and soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A notch above the restOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Most well-rounded Chicago restaurant experience we have had in many years. Great bar scene with creative drinks and cool restaurant design, but more than anything, exceptional food from a menu that didn't overwhelm us with too many obscurities or choices. Loved Boka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fruit fly issueYaknireVIPDined on 9/6/2014The salads and starters were great, fish entrees were ok. Upon sitting down we were immediately circled by fruit flies. After ordering a nice bottle of wine even more showed up. Our server said they've had issues. One slipped into my husbands wine glass that was about half full. We then asked to speak to the manager as nothing was being done about this issue. The manager, seeming very annoyed, simply said the outside doors were open and that might be why. Which we all know is not the case. In the end if they had done anything, or even seemed a little concerned at all, we could have looked past this. Instead they made us feel like we were imposing on them in bringing up this issue.Special Features:
- GlobalGourmetVIPDined on 9/6/2014Once again superb. My dorade was tender beyond belief and subtle in flavor. My wife' lamb was equally good and our friend's vegetarian cauliflower creation was perfectly cooked, not too soft, not too hard and seasoned lightly. Lee maintains his high standards and the front of the house supports that workSpecial Features:
- Awesome!thepupDined on 9/5/2014We went to 5 of the top restaurants in Chicago during our visit and Boka was the overall best one out the five. Great food, great service, great vibe!Special Features:
- megreeneilDined on 9/5/2014Boka has amazingly good food, and we dine there all the time. We have tried nearly everything on the menu and it is remarkable. The bartenders are mixologists and are very knowledgeable and we love them. Their craft cocktails are delicious. Service is excellent. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreGKhanDined on 8/30/2014While the new interior is stunning, the service and food were mediocre the night we dined at Boka. We literally waited about 15 minutes for the waiter to come over and take a drink order; cocktails arrived about 20 minutes later. Not the worst thing that could have happened but 35 minutes for a few drinks? Other members of my party enjoyed, or at least didn't cringe, at their entrees. I will give props to the short rib that my wife ordered. My entree was rather, um, bad. I got the lamb that was tough -- extremely tough -- and flavorless. Desert was good, but it was frozen yogurt so nothing that interesting. Overall, an okay experience but the restaurant is mediocre compared to all the other great spots in the City.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerDinerVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great dinner after a performance at the Steppenwolf, though would gladly go back at any time. Great service and interesting foodSpecial Features:
- Relaxed Fine DiningsalcornVIPDined on 8/29/2014Of all the Michelin starred restaurants in Chicago, Boka must be one of the greatest bargains. For little more than the cost of a typical restaurant you can have a spectacular meal. And the cozy yet classy, relaxed yet professional atmosphere and friendly service make it a great choice for everyone. Our party of three was able to try the majority of items on the menu, and everything was terrific. Standouts were the carrot salad and foie gras starter. The duck was the best I’ve ever had, incredibly tender and moist, and bursting with flavor, even without the accompaniments. The wine list is filled with excellent choices. If you’re looking for a truly fine dining experience without needing to mortgage the house, Boka is a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Wonderful flavors, exceptional sevice, great bar sevice (mixologist Tim is top notch). We always enjoy it here. A bit pricey, but well worth it. You get your money's worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misterluv2dineDined on 8/26/2014Great food. A real gourmet experience at very affordable price for eating in downtown Chicago. Highly recommend you go here for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!MombestDined on 8/26/2014One of our very, very, very, favorite places! They do a wonderful job! Everything about Boka is special and distinguishing! The decor is special and interesting and the service is helpful and well informed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IntricateOpenMindDined on 8/24/2014My lamb dish had no fewer that 7 distinct flavors; making it harmonious was the challenge, and the chef achieved this exsquisitely! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Reservation was at 8 and we didn't get seated until 8:40. The bartender only came by once while we waited. Otherwise, food was great and our waiter was very good.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Gonzo70VIPDined on 8/23/2014I have had the privilege of dining at Boka many times and I always leave impressed and happy. Meal after meal and course after course is consistently top notch; perfectly executed, high quality food that is attractively plated. The staff here really elevates the experience into a top tier dining venue; so attentive, warm and engaging - they ensure you are well cared for and enjoying your meal. The space itself is so beautiful since the remodel. Fine dining quality food in a relaxing atmosphere without breaking the bank in a beautiful friendly space, perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in YearsSherlyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The new Boka is a treasure. Superb food prepared from fresh ingredients in novel ways. Everything was beautifully prepared and served. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the food preparation and helpful in making menu suggestions. Top notch service. Friendly and helpful staff. There wasn't any stuffiness that one might expect from a restaurant of this calibre and it was very refreshing. We eat in a lot of restaurants and haven't seen this level of food expertise and service in a long time. Bravo to the owners and staff on a job perfectly done! We can't wait to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!BeckyMVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is the first time we've been to the newly remodeled BOKA. It was a wonderful experience; the food was inventive, delicious and a visual delight. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Piper0804VIPDined on 8/22/2014The food, service and drinks are outstanding at this Michelin star restaurant. Our welcoming waiter was aware of our allergies upon arrival. We asked to be served slowly and change seats early in the meal, and both requests were heard and completed with graciousness. A lot of thought, talent, and experience has been put into the dishes. The cocktails are unique and the one glass of wine we had was exquisite. The only change I would make is to turn the music down and/or choose more soothing music. Initially we had to almost yell to hear each other over the frantic jazz. But loud music would not stop us from returning or recommending this restaurant for a memorable dining experience. Perhaps on a week night it would be more mellow.Special Features:
- theater goerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014First visit to this upscale yet totally friendly restaurant. Staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and paired our wine perfectly! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningJennVIPDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Boka. We were promptly seated and presented with a complimentary glass of champagne. What a nice way to start the evening! It just got better from there. Our server was friendly and helpful with recommendations from the menu. All aspects of the service was perfect actually, from food delivery to those clearing tables and bringing water, etc. Every course that came out was absolutely delicious. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fooddeliciosoDined on 8/18/2014One of the most decadent meals I've had. The extra tasters were fabulous, and the salads and entrees were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/18/2014There is only one way to say fantastic. FANTASTIC We noted that we were celebrating our anniversary and the minute we sat down we were celebrated with a complimentary glass of champagne. Our server was knowledgeable , efficient and wonderfully friendly. She loved her job and it showed. Cuisine extraordinaire!!! Every course cooked to perfection. Highly recommend for a cozy romantic dinner and a special celebration. Enclosed garden room lively ...main dining room sophisticated and sexy....either one is a winnerSpecial Features:
- Fabu!!!TCHAVIPDined on 8/16/2014Loved Boka. Everything about it was unique and perfectly matched. From the service to the decor to the food. Thumbs up. I had the roasted broccoli salad, grilled octopus and sturgeon. Every bite was flavored perfectly. The the real butter w/ the rolls...to die for. My date had the burrata salad, grilled octopus and roasted duck. Fantastic!!! Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Great carrotsvisitingladyDined on 8/15/2014Carrots were amazing. Don't miss those. Everyone else really liked the cauliflower dish. I had the duck which was good but the carrots were the highlight. Service was great. The basement bathrooms need light - somewhat spooky for a woman to go down there alone - that is my only criticism. All in all I would go to Boka again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!sugrlmpDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at BOKA. The chef, Lee Wolen came out to greet us and our waiter, Gil was extremely knowledgable! When he found out my husband was a Cleveland Indians fan, as is the chef's mom, he grabbed another waiter, Eric who had a nice chat with him about their favorite team. Every bite of food was delicious and the care and combinations of flavors were just splendid. I will be back soon!Special Features:
- BokaJohnBCVIPDined on 8/14/2014First time after remodeling, etc. Overall experience was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fantastic serviceSarahDined on 8/14/2014Came here for a celebratory business dinner with a colleague. First time dining at the restaurant. It was a Thursday evening and there were plenty of empty tables, but a lively atmosphere nonetheless. Everybody -- from the hostess to our waiter, to the people who brought our dishes, to the gentleman who refilled our waters -- was helpful and courteous. The portions are small, especially relative to the prices, but the food was really delicious. Lots of fresh and seasonal ingredients. Carrot "salad" with goat cheese was a must-try. Another highlight was the amuse-bouche chilled zucchini & mint soup. A special treat!Special Features:
- My favorite Chicago RestaurantGaryCoVIPDined on 8/13/2014I have eaten at most of the Michelin Star restaurants in Chicago & must say this is my favorite. The Cod Ravioli in sweet corn sauce, was exceptional and my Braised Beef Short Ribs were perfectly seasoned & cooked without the usual excessive marinate that typifies many other restaurant's preparation. The La Croix Poignant Sancerre & the Field Stone Cabernet Sauvignon were very reasonably priced & delicious. The service was top notch, attentive & very friendly but not interruptive as in many of the higher end restaurants like Spiaggia, Tru, & The Black Byrd. You can have an exquisite high end meal in this restaurant for less than $120 per person including 2 glasses of wine each. Run, don't walk to this great dining experience!Special Features:
- Transformed!engprofVIPDined on 8/12/2014Everything about this restaurant is dramatically improved; only the name remains. The food has gone from the "okay" category to the sensational. The decor is much more comfortable. We had one of the best meals we've had in Chicago in a while. The menu is fairly small, but various, and the items are interesting and brilliantly prepared. Foodies -- get ready!Special Features:
- Heaven on EarthJanelleDined on 8/12/2014From the moment we walked in to the moment we left, everything was exceptional. Loved the round booths, my boyfriend and I could sit close together. The ambience is refined and relaxing, which went well with the meal. The drinks: We like to try the signature drinks and we were not disappointed here! The food: our waiter Gil was nice and professional and knew his food. He recommended the carrot salad and it was off the charts! Remember that heaven thing I mentioned? And the chilled corn soup - also exquisite! The chef can pat himself on the back for that one as well. I would have liked to see more vegetarian - even vegan - options, but the cauliflower entrée was fantastic. Even better than the short ribs that my boyfriend ordered.Special Features:
- with visiting friendsduzdlzsDined on 8/9/2014friends were in from out of town and we chose BOKA because we like all the restaurants in the BOKA Group. Our server, Brian, was outstanding in both the food and wine service...obviously well-trained. The only weak spot of the evening was the amuse bouche, a zucchini soup, which was not particularly tasty or exciting. It needs some help or needs to be replaced.Special Features:
- Great place.marcin1979Dined on 8/9/2014It was our third time in Boka and definitely not the last. Food was great and they have quite big selection of wines. Bartender is a master of drinks and can get you anything you want. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Delish!RuthHDined on 8/9/2014Delicious food, amazing service, beautiful dining room. Can't say enough about this place - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!Special Features:
- LOVE!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2014This restaurant was amazing. The service was great, the food was awesome and the ambiance was perfect for a date night. It is a little pricey but other than than I would recommend it HANDS DOWN!!Special Features:
- My return gourmet diningwmacgoodinesDined on 8/3/2014I the city for a rural town 11 yrs ago. I had forgotten what a fine dining experience was and Boka reminded me of what I was missing. The restaurant's decor was modern but the dining experience had a classic European feel. One took ones meal slow so as to enjoy both the food and company. The meal consisted of courses picked from a single page menu divided into salads, starters and entrees. The pacing was excellent. I was able to take my time and enjoy the citrus overtones of my wine against the citrus and caramelized sugars in the Roasted Broccoli salad and to enjoy the smokey hints in the Grilled Spanish Octopus against the roasted pork broth, burnt orange and scallions. The portions were perfect and the service was extraordinary.Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/2/2014Good... Not great. Food wasn't hot enough. Service was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.