Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood
219 East Houston Street
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bohanans.com/
- Phone: 2104722600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Bohanan / Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Enjoy live entertainment from South Texas Jazz on Friday & Saturday Evenings!
- Cross Street: Navarro or Saint Mary's
- Public Transit: Bohanan's is located in the center of downtown San Antonio; walking distance from most downtown hotels and conveniently located to city's public transportation.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Curbside valet available. Valet service will be added to the final bill.
A word from Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood
Bohanan’s fame is founded on sublimely tender prime beef grilled over fragrant mesquite wood. Enjoy extraordinarily delicious Akaushi beef, Chef/Owner Mark Bohanan’s large custom cuts of prime aged corn-fed beef, succulent seafood flown in fresh daily, and spectacular table-side desserts flambé. Imbibe a classic cocktail at the first-floor Bar at Bohanan’s, then join us upstairs for the best steak you’ve ever eaten. Located in a historic building in downtown San Antonio about a block from the River Walk. AAA Four Diamond rating and Wine Spectator’s Best of Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood reviews from OpenTable diners
322 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (267)romantic (215)notable wine list (186)fit for foodies (110)vibrant bar scene (74)good for groups (64)neighborhood gem (50)hot spot (44)scenic view (40)late-night find (24)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014The food is such a treat! Everything is very good! We always try an appetizers & we share each others entrees, and dessert, we want to try as many things there as we can. Its wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find Near River WalkwardDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I selected Bohanan's for our 28th anniversary since we were staying in San Antonio. We made the selection off the internet based upon other reviews, and we were not disappointed. Frankly, we were quite pleased. Service was likely the best we have had in years (even living in Houston for 20 years) and that made the evening so enjoyable. Manager greeted us at the bar and made us feel very special and Luciano was just great. Steaks were very good and the sides were very good was well. We will definitely go back for another visit when we are in San Antonio and Bohanan's is highly recommended.Special Features:
- DinnerShellyDined on 9/27/2014Steak was $60. It was "ok", not great! Not juicy. Service was fair....we had reservations for 700. We were not seated until 730. When we were told our table was ready, the person had motioned us toward the elevator, and told us to hit the button to go to the second floor. She walked away before we were even in the elevator. We waited for each course quite awhile, including dessert. However, the Bananas Foster was very good!
- Wondererful!!ScobieDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I had an absolutely wonderful birthday dinner at Bohanan's! Steak and seafood were of the best quality and freshness, cooked to perfection the first time out. Awesome waitstaff catering to your every need. Jazz downstairs afterwards put the icing on the cake! I can hardly wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and foodWookiebaby1Dined on 9/26/2014Highly impressed with the fantastic food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoshDined on 9/25/2014Overall, our experience was ok. The lighting in the bar was appropriate, and there were areas for just about any occasion. Obviously, there was a bar, but they also had tables and comfy leather chairs. When we got upstairs, we were put in the "new room". Having never been in the other part of the dining area, I can't compare the two, but we were pretty disappointed. Although the servers were accommodating, their communication was not great. We were asked several times about the same things. The steak was a great cut, but was overdone (MW instead of MR). The salmon was fantastic. The atmosphere was alright. There was a large group of doctors next to us, so that made for a less special, intimate evening that we were hoping for.
- A tale if two halvesGraemeBDined on 9/25/2014Very much a 50:50 experience. My wife and I are from the UK and travelling through various towns and cities in Texas. We booked this restaurant months in advance because of the excellent reviews Both our starters (crab cocktail and French onion soup) were excellent, so far so good..... Our "tale of two halves" refers to the main course. My steak was easily the best steak I have ever had, and at 54 years old, I have had a lot! However, my wife ordered the halibut which, although beautifully presented, was overcooked ( a big mistake for such an "high end" establishment) and too salty for her taste. However, if we are ever in San Antonio again, would give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt and eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAntinoos12Dined on 9/24/2014My date and I had a great time. Inside the energetic dining hall, we were able to still have, what seemed to us, a very intimate experience. Rose petals on the table elevated the entire mood. The service was great and 2 days later, my date is still speaking of Bohanan's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic eveningEEEEVIPDined on 9/23/2014Every aspect of our dining experience was stellar, superior or outstanding.... so take your pick. Take note...the 100+ year old building's dining room lacks sound buffers thus it was difficult to communicate across the table at normal volume. I inquired if the wait staff was required to be able to lip read when taking orders! Aside from the noise level the evening was a grand slam! Fabien Jacob, the sommelier, was the most personable and knowledgeable ever encountered. He is a wonderful ambassador for the house!! If you like premier beef, immaculate service and superb wine and spirits this is THE place in San Antonio.Special Features:
- JGulleyVIPDined on 9/23/2014We had a great experience from the time we entered until we left, the staff, food and wine were all excellent, I highly recommend.Special Features:
- wonderful experiencenana2girlsDined on 9/20/2014We very much enjoyed our 25th wedding anniversary dinner and drinks at Bohanan's. The experience was top notch. The dining room and bar staff exceeded our expectations- very skilled and welcoming. Both food and drink menus are extensive and creative. My one negative thing- the web site showed a dress code, that most of the diners adhered to(including us). We were there celebrating a special occasion and it was annoying to be seated in between one table with men wearing golf shorts and another table wearing faded blue jeans. If they advertise a dress code- it should be enforced.Special Features:
- Another great meal!keithbDined on 9/20/2014Duck bacon appetizer was awesome! Always enjoy the bar and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable EveningDavidDined on 9/20/2014Every moment of our dinner was absolutely memorable. The excellent service and menu is well worth the price. You will not regret this superb dining experience. Definitely try the daily specials. We had a giant prawn added to our steak that was absolutely delicious. Bohanan's holds it's own with any upscale dining experience in New York or major big city. A very special touch - we were celebrating a birthday and Bohanan's had added rose petals on the table. We will definitely be repeat customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not be going backSESreviewDined on 9/20/2014I selected Bohanan's due to its reputation. In my opinion the meal wasn't a "WOW" I could have gone to Saltgrass for the same quality of food. I nor my wife are wine drinkers so when we didn't order their expensive wine I got the feeling that I was being rushed to open a table for the next guests. Lastly, when we arrived we were seated at the very back of the dining room near the kitchen door when only two other couples were in the room. So my romantic view was of a mirror and the kitchen door. As for my over all review I have had my first and last meal at Bohanan"s.
- Outstanding food and servicelovemysteakDined on 9/19/2014I have dined at most all exclusive restaurants in various big cities throughout the county. I thought Bohanan's was one of the best for combined food quality and service. The table service was some of the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Still my favorite steak place...butrasamataz74Dined on 9/19/2014The plethora of people greeting us was too much, let the primary server greet us and guide us through the evening. This was the first time I encountered the demonstration of "off menu" items...not a plus for me. Let the lead server ask if we're interested in such offerings before having someone go through a full demonstration. I recommend more of a "Paris" approach...where servers strive to be are almost invisible, anticipating and meeting needs without interrupting the interaction of the diners. Don't misunderstand...the staff was very professional and we appreciate it, but when you're bringing in friends for the first time, you want to have opportunity to visit without interruptions. As always, food was awesome.Special Features:
- missed the markBigDwonderwomanDined on 9/18/2014first time here and not only was the service slow, two of us were finished eating by the time the third persons food showed up. the management was very nice to take care of her dinner, but we were disappointed that my birthday experience was not as glowing as others had told me it would be. will try again, but make sure they are not at capacity and can actually HEAR our orders..Special Features:
- # 1 Steak house in San Antonio!Love2travelDined on 9/18/2014My husband got a filet medium rare it was perfect. I got the quail which were to die for. Cocktails & wine were both wonderful. We have a 2 year old and they catered to us to make our evening super special with her. We stayed at the Embassy Suites and it was an easy walk for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchesVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great food, as usual. We had to ask for the rolls (which everyone else had at their table), not sure if having to ask for bread is a new thing? otherwise, excellent, as usual. Especially now that that rude Asian gentlemen wasn't working this day.
- Great food & service, but pricey!HardtoPleaseVIPDined on 9/17/2014Had a great meal with great service, but be ready to pay for it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JayJayDined on 9/17/2014The staff was very professional and attentive. We enjoyed the evening very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joaddisonDined on 9/16/2014We live in Boerne and get to San Antonio only on occasion. We keep going back to Bohanan's because it is amazing. It never disappoints.
- Good EveningsteakloverDined on 9/15/2014I have eaten at Bohanan's several times and it never disappoints. The service and food were great as usual.Special Features:
- 5 Star Restaurant!Dstringy1979Dined on 9/14/2014The best steaks, atmosphere, friendliness and attentiveness by far. Expect to pay generously, but it's worth every cent. Our wait staff was incredible! Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experience2foodloversDined on 9/14/2014Although it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive, we chose Bohanan's to celebrate a milestone birthday. The entire experience was everything we'd hoped for. We shared a divine Caprese Salad, each ordered a steak, & shared 2 sides. The steaks were wonderfully flavored, even without the Bearnaise Sauce we ordered. The Lobster Creamed Corn is delicious, unique & not to be missed! As much as we would have loved to try a dessert, we had to pass. Next time, we'll share only 1 side (the corn!), & save room for a dessert, The wine list is extensive, & the wait staff superb. Truly a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryLittletDined on 9/13/2014Perfect anniversary dinner for my wife & I. Our guest loved the food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You wont be disappointed!!CherylDined on 9/13/2014We went to Bohanan's after a disappointing visit to another neighborhood "steak house". Bohanan's was 110% hands down. The candied jalapenos over whipped cream cheese complementary appetizer was so good we have Googled how to make it! We had the Akauski beef filet mignons (well worth the money), creamed spinach and au gratin potatoes. Topped off with table side made bananas foster. If you are in San Antonio, take the time to eat here.Special Features:
- Amazing!!!!FooMannChewDined on 9/12/2014Amazing doesn't really do Bohanan's justice, but it is as close as I can find. My Wife and I went here to celebrate our 5th anniversary and were blown away by the service, the food, and everything overall! We had an amazing meal, with a dry aged steak that was ridiculously good, asparagus and sauteed mushrooms that were to die for, and finished it off with strawberries imperial (Dinner and a Show!!) I cannot say enough great things about our experience at Bohanan's. Just awesome! After dinner we were on our way out, and found a live band in the bar that we had to sit and enjoy while having a few drinks, and found the same level of service in the bar as was in the dining. What a great night!Special Features:
- Bone in NewYorkgevoDined on 9/12/2014Bone in New York, Best steak I've ever had, and I've had some great ones. My wife had the AKAUSHI New York. It was excellent, but a bit underwhelming. Our server, Michael, was extraordinary. I also had an Old Fashion cocktail made with Templeton rye.... sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be great!xburbVIPDined on 9/12/2014We were in San Antonio overnight and decided to eat on the River Walk so we chose Bohanan's and we were very pleased. I had the ribeye and my wife the mahi, both were fantastic. The only problem was with the service, it was not worthy of anything but a fair review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014When on vacation we rely on open table to choose the restaurants we eat at. Bohana's had awesome reviews. So glad we were able to experience such great atmosphere, service, dinner and dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local doesn't mean goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/10/2014Decided to try this steakhouse over The Palm Steakhouse because it was local. I was traveling on business, so luckily cost wasn't much of an issue. The steaks were fair at best. We both ordered the bone-in ribeye ($20 more expensive than The Palm next door) and the flavor was bland and ordinary. On the other hand, service was very good and Chimay on tap was good. Went to The Palm the next day for lunch because I was so dissatisfied.Special Features:
- 11oz filletNelsonVIPDined on 9/10/2014Cooked rare to perfection as requested. What a beautiful piece of meat from the Allen Bros. folks. The wife had oysters, lightly breaded, and absolutely mouth-watering. The servings are large here. A little loud in the dining room but we could carry on a conversation with our friends. Our server(s) were very attentive and took great care of us. Thank you for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I went here for her birthday. Outstanding. Crab cake was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambombDined on 9/6/2014We absolutely loved the atmosphere and scenic view of the restaurant. The food was outstanding, especially the filet mignon. It was just as the server described-it literally melted in my mouth. The servers were very friendly and attentive. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- My Favorite Restaurant!EvanDined on 9/5/2014My experience was spectacular! We were greeted by the hostess,headed upstairs to our table (which was the best seat in the house)which was recently remodeled.Once we finished dinner our waiter comes by with a cart for the banana fosters. While I was busy recording the finale of the flame, our waiter was getting the dessert prepared on the plate at this time I was too busy posting on my social media to not even notice the BIG FINALE that would be the happiest day of my life! My boyfriend grabbed this beautiful box got down on his knee and began to express his love and asked me to marry him! Of course I said yes and the entire restaurant went in an uproar!Now I know that the entire staff was helping my now fiancé plan this wonderful night!Special Features:
- We were in town from boston andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014Wanted a great meal and we were not disappointed. Unbelievable service, awesome food and a great wine list. One of our waiters, Patrick was exceptional - he made the evening a dining experience that we will remember. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goldken1Dined on 9/4/2014The Caesar salad was wilted and small. The steaks were outstanding. Worst thing is we had to wait almost an hour between the salad and main course.Special Features:
- Great PlaceThefoodDined on 9/3/2014Love this place I would recommend it to everyone. . ........ ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerYesenia35Dined on 9/2/2014Had the best steak. Great place for a romantic dinner date. Great service, probably the best service I've had and will definitely be back again. Mr. Mo was super attentive to us. Cory the bartender made us delicious drinks. Think you guysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.