Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood
219 East Houston Street
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bohanans.com/
- Phone: 2104722600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Bohanan / Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Enjoy live entertainment from South Texas Jazz on Friday & Saturday Evenings!
- Cross Street: Navarro or Saint Mary's
- Public Transit: Bohanan's is located in the center of downtown San Antonio; walking distance from most downtown hotels and conveniently located to city's public transportation.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Curbside valet available. Valet service will be added to the final bill.
A word from Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood
Bohanan’s fame is founded on sublimely tender prime beef grilled over fragrant mesquite wood. Enjoy extraordinarily delicious Akaushi beef, Chef/Owner Mark Bohanan’s large custom cuts of prime aged corn-fed beef, succulent seafood flown in fresh daily, and spectacular table-side desserts flambé. Imbibe a classic cocktail at the first-floor Bar at Bohanan’s, then join us upstairs for the best steak you’ve ever eaten. Located in a historic building in downtown San Antonio about a block from the River Walk. AAA Four Diamond rating and Wine Spectator’s Best of Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (259)romantic (202)notable wine list (186)fit for foodies (112)vibrant bar scene (75)good for groups (68)neighborhood gem (49)hot spot (46)scenic view (37)late-night find (25)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great RestaurantDiningInDallasVIPDined on 10/17/2014Well worth it for fine dining in San Antonio! Food was superb and the service was outstanding. The pace of the meal was perfect, and everything was great. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great foodTori28Dined on 10/14/2014We went for my husband's birthday per recommendation from a friend. And it lived up to expectations. For appetizers we had the crab cake and foie gras, both delicious. The cocktails were good as well. My husband got a ribeye that was quite tender with great flavor. Too bad we didn't have enough room for dessert; they sounded delicious. Definitely will be back. Do note that you can pay for your valet parking on your bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Good ExperienceDsakpaDined on 10/12/2014Overall my wife and I had a very good experience. The food was excellent and we had no complaints about the meal or drinks. The service was attentive, friendly and did an overall good job. What amazes me is we've eaten at many fine dining restaurants and there are a few basic serving rules that many do not follow including this restaurant. Food eaten with a fork is served from the left and food eaten with a spoon is served from the right. Ladies are always served first. It's also nice if they clean the table with a crumb cleaner/scraper after the entrée is removed. We don't mind paying for fine dining restaurants but our expectations change when we get to this level. They need to train the wait staff to make them a little more "polished".Special Features:
- Bohanon's is second to none!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Our second visit and for sure will be a repeat every time we visit the Alamo City! Great dining atmosphere, service and of course food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of the triprmvisserDined on 10/11/2014It was the highlight of the trip food wise! Our server was OUTSTANDING and very knowledgeable about the foods and wines. They did not rush us through service which provided us a relaxing, top notch service. (Personally, I cannot stand when a server either talks too much or brings plates before you even had a chance to digest your previous course) The food was FANTASTIC! I think the 2 things that lowered the rating was the salad was excellent, but nothing unique, and I didn't care for the stuffed shrimp. However, the rest of the meal appetizers, steak, sides, desert, right down to the cup of coffee was the best I ever had. I would highly recommend this restaurant. It is pricy but worth every penney!Special Features:
- Truly amazing placeMasterMindDined on 10/10/2014There aren't very many words to describe the wonderful attentive service given at Bohanan's, every time we've visited the service is superb. The food is amazing, Steaks literally cooked to perfection every time & the wine list is quite extensive to fit an wine drinkers appetite. We came in for 7 year anniversary and we felt like King & Queen; Luciano took care of us and did a phenomenal job, he gave some excellent recommendations to us on starters and wine and assisted in a great dessert pick for us. We are from out of town and we make it a point to visit Bohanan's every time we're in town, I highly recommend that you do too, the atmosphere is great its a very elegant New York style steak house you truly feel like a king here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drdukVIPDined on 10/10/2014great steakhouse-------we are from Chicago and this matches up just as well as gibsons, hugos etcSpecial Features:
- Best steak ever!206SportyDined on 10/10/2014What a great meal! Best steaks ever with great service! May be a little pricey for some.Special Features:
- Surprise FindSteakLoverDined on 10/10/2014I took my husband here for his birthday based on TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. Everything about our experience was first rate. The service was excellent and the servers were attentive and friendly which I don't seem to get very often when dining out. The steak was delicious! perhaps the best I have ever had. We were still talking about it 2 days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They've been so much betterPalmer1Dined on 10/9/2014Waitress lost our order. SUPER SLOW SERVICE. Potatoes under cooked(crunchy). Reservations 2 weeks out and we are stuck in a tiny side room out of the action. I've eaten here before and it was great. This last visit was VERY DISAPPOINTING. For the prices they charge PERFECTION IS EXPECTED.Special Features:
- Not for solo dinerssolomidwesternerDined on 10/8/2014Like many business travelers, I often have dinner alone. Usually I sit at the bar and order dinner. Unfortunately, Bohanan's "real food" menu is not available at the bar or in the bar seating area; only the limited bar menu is offered. Waited 20 minutes past my reservation time and was finally seated in a back corner booth that was large enough for a party of six when there were tables for two available. A steak is a steak and there was nothing memorable.Special Features:
- Great steaks !bmrdocDined on 10/8/2014Great steaks ... prompt and attentive service, but pricey and a real push to run-up the tab! It was also very obvious that online reservations are "pushed" into early or late time slots to afford more last minute dining opportunities. There were plenty of open tables at the 7pm slot which was not available two weeks earlier....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic from beginning to endnotafan1234Dined on 10/7/2014This is a go big or go home dining experience. Don't go on a budget, don't skip any courses and enjoy what they have to offer. Their food is fabulous, and their service is impeccable. The menu is extensive, but really you must have their steaks. Go ahead of your reservation so you can enjoy a drink at the bar, and their nightly jazz offering, then enjoy the atmosphere of their beautiful dining room. Service is outstanding, special mention to head waiter Joshua. But honorable mention to all the wait staff who work so well together to deliver just an amazing overall dining experience, in a fun lively setting. Fine friendly dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special birthday night outjulesDined on 10/7/2014We wanted a really nice dining experience for our son on his birthday and Bohanan's did not disappoint! The food was delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- RobijVIPDined on 10/7/2014Bohanan's is usually the best place in town for a great meal and superb service. We eat here all the time. Well, there is always a chance for a hiccup. Service was a little off. Wait staff wasn't as attentive as usual. Food was excellent although the steak temperature was missed badly. Manager came by and comped the appetizers. I will always go back to Bohanan's because of the food and atmosphere. It's always a special evening when you're there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised...not pleasantlyTexas37Dined on 10/5/2014My wife and I went to Bohanan's to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. The restaurant is fantastic visually. The wait staff is amazing. Our waiter informed us that their "best" cuts of meat are not listed on the menu and proceeded to show us a selection of meats that sounded amazing from his description. We decided to order a porterhouse that was supposed to be "above prime". It looked great when it arrived. The meat was no better than you can get anywhere else for 1/3 the price. It was chewy and didn't have much flavor. I was very disappointed.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Food was just great! Staff was very friendly. I would recommend Bohanan's for special meetings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Special OccasionsTraveler31Dined on 10/5/2014We celebrated our anniversary here while visiting San Antonio. We were greeted with comlimentary glass of champagne, and rose petals on the table. We had a table next to window with a view of the city street below. Wine list is extensive and impressive. Wait team of 3 were very knowledgeable and attentive. Serving sizes were generous. We had Caprese salad, Lamb tenderloins, rib eye with quail, Potatoes Au Gratin, and goat cheese mashed potatoes, Creme Brule. Everything was delicious and prepared as ordered. Very spendy but worth it for a wonderful dining experience and great memories.Special Features:
- Great Food with Amazing Service!CuddlyGuyDined on 10/5/2014My wife treated me to dinner here on our 1st anniversary. She had been wanting to go for awhile because her co-workers highly recommend Bohanan's and it was great! We'd heard of steaks that taste so good they did not need anything on them, but this is one of the few times it has been true. They were cooked perfectly to order. The sides were large enough to share and the dessert was great. We started the night off with some really good cocktails. Everything was expertly made and presented. The staff was very courteous and attentive. I am sure we will go back on another special occasion.Special Features:
- it was okVegasboundDined on 10/4/2014We were celebrating our wedding anniversary here. I ordered the Chateau stack, LOTS of mushrooms and spinach, not much meat and lobster. Very overpriced for what I received. My wife had the filet which was good. The service was very slow as our waiter was spending a little too much time with another table. Our coffee was gone well before the desserts were delivered. We booked online indicating it was our anniversary and nothing was mentioned, though there were rose petals on the table. All in all, I wouldn't return, I'm working here from Las Vegas. My wife flew into town for our special day and we have top rated restaurants in Vegas that would blow this place away, Sorry, I was not impressed. Dan ArcottaSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Food was great, service wasn't the best but I wouldn't call it bad. We were going to order dessert but waited so long after being given the menu's that we decided just to get the check and have dessert elsewhere.Special Features:
- dgirl3Dined on 10/4/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Bohanan's. We were celebrating our 24th anniversary and this was noted by the staff throughout our evening. The food and service were impeccable. The lighting could have been more romantic - a bit too bright, so there wasn't that "cozy, secluded" feel. Overall though it was a very special evening.Special Features:
- Excellent SteakJayinSADined on 10/4/2014Seriously, 50 characters! I am not a writer. The food was good, the restaurant was clean, and I would go back. Enough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014This restaurant experience was phenomenal!! Everything from the hostesses to our waiter and the food was far better then I was expecting!! My steak was one of the best steaks I have ever had!! It is a little pricy but well worth the money. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delish dining at Bohannon'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Food was great, wine was wonderful service was great as always at Bohannon's. Followed by great jazz entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great!M3MikeDined on 10/3/2014Bohanan's is a local favorite in SA, fantastic food and service. Filet was cooked to order and delicious, only wish the side portions were a bit bigger.Special Features:
- First visit; highly recommendedpublisher73VIPDined on 10/3/2014The food and service were impeccable. Worthy of its reputation as one of San Antonio's finest.Special Features:
- Variety of patronsMimineVIPDined on 10/2/2014The restaurant upstairs is quiet and perfect for people watching. Service is precise and attentive. Food is not top level in taste but well executed. The bar downstairs has a large array of spirits and cocktails. The music is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing AgainNelsonDined on 10/1/2014This restaurant never disappoints. It gets better and better each visit!!!Special Features:
- 25th anniversary dinnerNuketroopDined on 9/30/2014We were greeted at the door and they wished us happy anniversary which was nice then when we got to our table it had rose petals on it and they pulled the table out for us to sit in a circular booth which was really cool.The service was very attentive without being intrusive. Our experience was memorable and the food was awesome. The ambience in the bar was warm and comfortable looking even though we did not go there it makes us want to return. Overall it was a great experience for our 25th wedding anniversary and we thank the staff for making it special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksTravelerDined on 9/30/2014Being in the food service industry I have been to plenty of steak houses but this one by far is the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014Our favorite place!!!! Service is always outstanding the the food can't be beat!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014The food is such a treat! Everything is very good! We always try an appetizers & we share each others entrees, and dessert, we want to try as many things there as we can. Its wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find Near River WalkwardDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I selected Bohanan's for our 28th anniversary since we were staying in San Antonio. We made the selection off the internet based upon other reviews, and we were not disappointed. Frankly, we were quite pleased. Service was likely the best we have had in years (even living in Houston for 20 years) and that made the evening so enjoyable. Manager greeted us at the bar and made us feel very special and Luciano was just great. Steaks were very good and the sides were very good was well. We will definitely go back for another visit when we are in San Antonio and Bohanan's is highly recommended.Special Features:
- DinnerShellyDined on 9/27/2014Steak was $60. It was "ok", not great! Not juicy. Service was fair....we had reservations for 700. We were not seated until 730. When we were told our table was ready, the person had motioned us toward the elevator, and told us to hit the button to go to the second floor. She walked away before we were even in the elevator. We waited for each course quite awhile, including dessert. However, the Bananas Foster was very good!
- Wondererful!!ScobieDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I had an absolutely wonderful birthday dinner at Bohanan's! Steak and seafood were of the best quality and freshness, cooked to perfection the first time out. Awesome waitstaff catering to your every need. Jazz downstairs afterwards put the icing on the cake! I can hardly wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and foodWookiebaby1Dined on 9/26/2014Highly impressed with the fantastic food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoshDined on 9/25/2014Overall, our experience was ok. The lighting in the bar was appropriate, and there were areas for just about any occasion. Obviously, there was a bar, but they also had tables and comfy leather chairs. When we got upstairs, we were put in the "new room". Having never been in the other part of the dining area, I can't compare the two, but we were pretty disappointed. Although the servers were accommodating, their communication was not great. We were asked several times about the same things. The steak was a great cut, but was overdone (MW instead of MR). The salmon was fantastic. The atmosphere was alright. There was a large group of doctors next to us, so that made for a less special, intimate evening that we were hoping for.
- A tale if two halvesGraemeBDined on 9/25/2014Very much a 50:50 experience. My wife and I are from the UK and travelling through various towns and cities in Texas. We booked this restaurant months in advance because of the excellent reviews Both our starters (crab cocktail and French onion soup) were excellent, so far so good..... Our "tale of two halves" refers to the main course. My steak was easily the best steak I have ever had, and at 54 years old, I have had a lot! However, my wife ordered the halibut which, although beautifully presented, was overcooked ( a big mistake for such an "high end" establishment) and too salty for her taste. However, if we are ever in San Antonio again, would give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt and eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAntinoos12Dined on 9/24/2014My date and I had a great time. Inside the energetic dining hall, we were able to still have, what seemed to us, a very intimate experience. Rose petals on the table elevated the entire mood. The service was great and 2 days later, my date is still speaking of Bohanan's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.