331 S Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Bar / Lounge / Bottle ServicePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bodega331.com/
- Phone: 8015324452
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Comfort Food, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brandon Cagle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is offered in our Library. We also offer private event options. Pricing varies. Please contact for more info.
- Private Party Contact: Sara 8015324452x
A word from Bodega
Bodega is a convenience store that offers to-go beer, tobacco, and sundries. It annexes Utah's smallest tavern, that serves our exclusive El Borracho IPA on tap, and $2 whiskey and tequila shots. Discover The Rest for yourself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Bodega - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bodega reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)late-night find (29)hot spot (25)romantic (25)vibrant bar scene (23)special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (8)notable wine list (6)Show More
- Better Than ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Heard about this place but thought it may be a kitschy novelty place. It was unique in decor but the ambiance was very refined. Food and service were outstanding and they know the proper way to make a martini!Special Features:
- The Rest is a new favorite!patina801VIPDined on 10/17/2014The Rest at Bodega is absolutely a new favorite for special occasions and ‘to impress’. This is easy to do if you follow the rules and make a reservation. This is not a club, and if you are expecting to ‘stand around’ and mingle by the bar, this is not going to happen. Every patron has a seat, thus the reservation. This is a very energetic and fun experience from the time you walk into the tiny Bodega until they take you to your table in the ‘secret’ back area to your table. The ambiance is impressive and unique. The drinks are unique and the food is amazing. The pork belly was done with an impressive rye glaze and the scallops were equally delicious. I’m very excited to return, I’m sure will be amazing!Special Features:
- used to like it moreLyssDined on 10/8/2014The first time I went to "the rest" it was a really amazing experience. My date surprised me and I thought we were in just a bodega/convenience store but he sneakily got the key and took me to an unmarked door that led to an underground chic restaurant...it was exciting and like nothing I'd ever experienced! The food was even better! The chorizo corn dogs were incredible and the service was on point! When I went this time it was completely different. Since you got your full bar license it has lost its magic. .the upstairs doesn't fool you into thinking its just a bodega..its boring and too laid back..this type of restaurant should put more importance on putting the mystery back in! I miss the original!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Current fave in SLCMorphHDined on 10/3/2014The speakeasy 'gimmick' is fun, but this place is outstanding. the varied menu is all good (wonderful Scotch eggs, amazing pickled shrimp), and the cocktails are clever, interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- Horrible Experience!!MuffDined on 9/26/2014Experience was very poor! Have been several times and this time it was the worst. Food was poor, service was very poor, they were sold out of the dine o round, poor attention to the table, appetizers took almost 40 minutes, drinks werent refilled. Just really a sad experience for a potentially cool place.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingFeedMeDined on 9/23/2014After reading other reviews, I was really excited to try the Rest out and booked a reservation for my husband's 40th birthday. When we arrived, the bartender opened the side door and gave us directions on where to go - no mystery at all, which I was kind of hoping for to add to the whole 'speakeasy' vibe. There was another couple behind us who didn't have a reservation. When we arrived, the couple who didn't have a reservation was seated before us which I thought was strange. Overall the food was OK we ordered the beer cheese and paella - not sure if it was worth the hype or the price. I did enjoy the atmosphere, and the beignets were delicious. I think this would be great for cocktails and apps.Special Features:
- Very COOL experience!RadrodenVIPDined on 9/19/2014Ok, when we first walked in we said this is just a small little bar. Then we were taken downstairs. WOW! Really cool vibe, music and drinks.Special Features:
- Good PaellatoscanaDined on 8/30/2014The Bodega and the restaurant downstairs is a fun find. A young vibe and good food. Good food, good variety, lacks good wine, but the wait staff was very friendly and fun. I think this place really appeals to a twenty something crowd. Must be over 21 to get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool find, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014They have two person plates that were a pretty good deal. Recommend the beer can chicken or paella! The Service was overall subpar, nothing in particular, just could have been a lot betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious CocktailsginhoundDined on 8/23/2014Some of the best cocktails i have had in quite some time. But the food was great as well. Nothing on the menu really grabbed us when we where ordering but once we started eating it was all great. Especially the scalp fritters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bodega Oozes Swanky CoolnessfoodnoobDined on 8/16/2014This was the second time I've been to Bodega/The Rest. The tap room is hip, but The Rest is where the true magic is. This place just oozes swanky coolness. From the second you walk in you know you're somewhere special. The service, atmosphere and general ambience of this place creates an experience unlike any other you'll find in SLC. And the food, oh the food. We had the Scottish Eggs and Scallop Fritters for apz, and the Beer Can Chicken for the main course. It was all absolutely amazing. High End libations and very friendly and knowledgable service staff all makes for a great experience, especially if it's a special night or maybe just one you where you want to impress. It's different, but not so much it's not accessible. Try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cool place, bad serviceSLCdinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant is relatively small, a and the decor is pretty funky - not a typical Utah place. When our reservation was ready we could not take the drinks downstairs or transfer the tab, which was very annoying. They had a nice selection of original cocktails, but the wine selection was terrible, only three options with no indication of what type or brand it was. If you're a wine drinker, this is NOT the place for you. Our waitress didnt take any notes and then forgot the order so she had to come back. Once the food arrived my wife's gluten free order had bread crumbs on it, and then one appetizer never showed up until we reminded her half way through the meal. Overall, I'm not sure I would go back, but it was fun to try out.Special Features:
- BodegaDarlingDined on 8/7/2014Our experience with Bodega was spectacular. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was unreal, and the staff was great. And when we got the check I was honestly surprised at how inexpensive it ended up being.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiggerDined on 8/6/2014The restaurant had a great ambiance, wonderful menu, appetizers were great/pickled shrimp and bruschetta. The pork belly was devine as was the paella and beer can chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food was amazing and the drinks were unique. The atmosphere was like nothing else in the salt lake area.Special Features:
- come here for the ambiancejrod212Dined on 8/2/20143rd time coming here. tip: get the beer can chicken. that was good.Special Features:
- A Taxidermy DelightDrMJDSDined on 7/26/2014First time at the Rest, and let me say it was a fantastic experience. I actually felt I could imagine myself in a SpeakEasy (although I am basing that on movies I have seen, not my age). The decour was late Victorian, with vinyl records playing on a turntable. The noise level was really too high for folks to easily hear each other, but that was the only deficiency. Next time I will wear my hearing aid (GRIN), and drown out the background noise. Ford and drinks were tasty and unique...well worth the experience. The prices were moderate, and not too expensive. I had anticipated a higher bill, but was pleasantly surprised at the prices.Special Features:
- Unique salt lake experienceGr84funDined on 7/12/2014Went here for a special celebration! Good service and atmosphere! Food was ok, took a bit longer then I would thing to reach the table. But over all it was a great "out of SLC" experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightSlimDined on 7/12/20141st time at the Rest. The food was really good. Great for light bites. Very unique and fun cocktails. Would recommend to friends. A must try. However the service is very slow. Waitstaff and kitchen. Just allow time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Nice place. Our server Tristan was fantastic. The OpenTable reservation system was screwy. Because of its inflexibility it said no tables were available after 5:30pm forcing us to come at an awkward time. Judging by what we saw inside that was definitely not true.
- bar food with a price tagabcpoetDined on 7/9/2014lots of cheap ingredients (onions, potatoes, fritters) deep fried to appeal to the crowd that eats fast food and relatively small portions for the price--the paella contained tiny bits of meat, mostly rice-- i wouldn't go back
- For Hipsters OnlydfurstDined on 7/8/2014Our party of 5 went on a Tuesday night, very slow in the bar and restaurant. A NYT article peaked our interest..forget it. Very poor service, food was not good, we listened to a very loud Prince/Aerosmith albums during dinner which cancelled out any intelligent and meaningful conversation. Tatooed and pierced bodies rule the underworld there, it was dim and dark; too much to appreciate the decorated surroundings that were written up in the NYT. I cannot understand why we had to finish drinks in the hot stuffy bar space before venturing downstairs, so we left full glasses to escape the heat. If you are over 35, do not expect the norm. If you are over 40, it will be very uncomfortable for the price paid.
- Always a good timeJINSHDined on 7/3/2014This was my second visit. The feel is very urban, comparable to restaurant/bars found in cities like LA and NYC. Keep up the great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!hhowtonDined on 7/3/2014Amazing place with great food! You feel like your in New York City. The music is great, the service is great. Everything about this place is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014The Rest lives up to the speakeasy reputation and exceeds expectations for food. Limited seating ensures a quiet dining experience with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome, butSteinstyleDined on 6/27/2014The resturant has amazing atmosphere however the food is unsatisfactory. Please change the menu! How can such a great place have such bad food choices. Seriously could not find anything that sounded nor tasted good. Left and went to Eva's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 20 reviews are from the Bodega reviews archive.
- Fun and eclecticVbchickDined on 6/21/2014This is a fun and different restaurant. It's a great addition to SLC . I thought the place was unique and the food was very good. The only disappointment was the service and other staff. They were very nice, but not very helpful and they didn't make you feel comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool find!CharleeDined on 6/21/2014The ambience and experience made the night! The food was really good, too! Tucked away in a basement with neat décor, it's a great find! I'll be back! I've told all my friends about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome exceptSteinstyleDined on 6/19/2014The food. This place. Is so cool but the menu blows. Really amazing atmosphere but don't eat there. Change the menu please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun and great chicken!BlueBoarFanDined on 6/10/2014I had no idea what to expect so was incredibly happy. I loved the atmosphere and really though the beer selection was one of the best in Utah. That beer can chicken could quite possibly be the best thing I have ever eaten. I will go again.
- Great secret spot2foodiesDined on 5/31/2014This little hideaway made us feel like we had left town. Downstairs from the quickie mart/beer bar upstairs, is THE REST. Great ambiance and décor, love the music - played classic albums on turntable. Delicious cocktails. The food was awesome and the service was friendly and punctual. The wine list was simple, red or white and your choice of cheap, good or great. We chose good, and it was. Great little conversation nook in back for people to lounge, drink and I guess, wait for a table. A bit pricey for a dinner and a bottle of wine, but next time we'll bring our own bottle and try the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cool atmosphereSaltLakeFoodiesVIPDined on 5/31/2014Nice atmosphere but check-in procedure is a little gimmicky and I could do without the taxidermy collection. I love the vinyl they've got spinning. Nice small plates menu. Beef tartare was very good and the marinated olives were outstanding. The entrees were also quite good with an emphasis on local ingredients. I'd highly recommend the pork belly, but I think it was a temporary thing. Emphasis on taste over portion size. Limited wine list but great cocktails and some good high point non-local beers. The alcohol is a little overpriced, though, compared to the food. The service could use some improvement. Server not knowledgeable and bartender a bit rude when my wife sent her cocktail back. Overall, though, a good experience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- I'm glad I found this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014The beer can chicken was amazing and their unique cocktails were excellent. The ambiance was the best.Special Features:
- Quiet and hip.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2014I think this is great for a date, quiet friendly, sharing options on the menu. Very different from most experiences in SLC.Special Features:
- Interesting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Great place to try something new and interesting. All was good but serving sizes. We ordered a meal for two but what was actually served wouldn't feed a small child. The cost isn't worth it. Stop at McDonalds before going to dinner at The Rest.Special Features:
- set menubboopDined on 5/3/2014The food was good but it was a set menu where you had to have all three courses. The first course was very limited and if you are a vegatarian you only have one option.Special Features:
- Loved It!FoodPleaseDined on 5/3/2014We had a group of 6 to celebrate a birthday. The ambiance was awesome and all the servers were very friendly. We loved the food - delicious and unique. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Crafted CocktailDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 5/1/2014Best French 75 ever - not a fan of the prix fixe menu, howeverI would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerRegulardinerDined on 4/25/2014The food was mediocre and it took almost 3 hours to be served three courses. Time between courses was incredibly long and the wait time didn't make sense as the place wasn't that busy and the food wasn't that complicated. It seems as if they wanted you to stay longer and drink more. The waitstaff wear name tags of authors but one of the staff had no idea who his famous author was. He said he arrived late and didn't have an option to chose. I would go back to this place for a drink but not for dinner. Also being handed a key to get in and then handed it back when you are downstairs seems a bit stupid. Perhaps they should just open the door for you? Seems like this is place is trying hard to be something it is not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The set price menus limitingUtRedGDined on 4/25/2014We reserved a table for four. We enjoyed our meal, service, and the ambiance. I read a few reviews before going and had my heart set on a menu item not offered to people with reservations. Thought that was odd. Felt a bit penalized for planning ahead. Otherwise great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.