59 S Orange Ave.
South Orange, NJ 07079Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 9733789222
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 11:00am - 10:30pm
Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Lunch for Private Events only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Sicilian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Carlo Carbonaro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Off-Premise Catering available - please inquire about menus
A word from Boccone South
Welcome to Boccone South! We bring a Modern Mediterranean flare to South Orange, NJ's hottest new old fashion Italian restaurant. Host: Silvio CarusoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Boccone South - Best Restaurants in South Orange ›
Boccone South reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (20)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (12)romantic (10)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- A South Orange GemTioPeteVIPDined on 10/26/2014We love this place!! Even though there were two very large (10+) dining parties when we arrived, service was prompt. As usual, the food was just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimballVIPDined on 10/25/2014The food was flavorful. There was a wonderful variety of specials to choose from. Our waiter was attentive and charming. A very nice dinner experience!Special Features:
- BobDDined on 10/24/2014Just a bit better than ordinary. The risotto was less than average. The tuna was cooked perfectly.
- Gem of a placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/22/2014This place has everything going for it - location (central and right by the train and arts center), charm, service, and delicious food. Great for business, romantic or social. Thank you Silvio, we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Dinner with friends from new yorkMyrannDined on 10/18/2014Had dinner with friends from new york city who eat out a lot. The salads (excellent and generous portions) were shared and pre-split by the staff. We ordered two veal dishes (one not on the menu) and they were well prepared. The pasta with shrimp was very good. I had a special (monkfish with risotto) and it was excellent. Desserts were large and shared. Service was excellent and since this is a BYOB the price was right. Overall the dining experience was rated very good.Special Features:
- good food very slowlarbushDined on 10/11/2014Food was very good but the wait was long. Waitress very nice but it took forever to get our salads and then main course. Must have had problems in the kitchenI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindKenSDined on 10/11/2014We chose to eat here because it was close to SOPAC and because it had better reviews than some of the other, nearby dining establishments. It turned out to be a great choice.Special Features:
- a nice place for dinnerlivetoeatfoodVIPDined on 10/4/2014Boccone is a nice place for dinner, not the best Italian food I've ever eaten, but certainly good, well prepared. Portions were the correct size or even a bit large, but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming and deliciousFoodieMamaDined on 10/3/2014From the moment we walked in the staff was very welcoming! We came with 3 kids (ages 6, 8 and 7 months) and they loved the food, our server, and watching the pizzas be made in the oven. Everything we ate from the roasted garlic olive oil to the specials and the gelato was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience from L.HallbellaDined on 9/24/2014Had a wonderful experience! Decor was simple, yet sophisticated. The food was superbly and meticulously created to stimulate all the senses. Loved the pasta with delicious eggplant appetizer; so unique and tasty! The stuffed pork was cooked to perfection with the wine sauce adding the perfect complement to the dish; artfully arranged with creamy mashed potatoes. Dessert was phenomenal...the owners original bread pudding was to die for... so delicate, warm and light! Cafe latte presentation: enticing with shavings of chocolate onto a dollop of homemade cream served with the perfect temperature. We felt welcomed in a relaxed atmosphere. Thank you for the experience! I would recommend Boccone South for a pleasant night out or family gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AvonguyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Real solid medittaranean cuisine in south orange! Definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to dine REGULARLY!TioPeteVIPDined on 9/21/2014Excellent food, service and ambiance. What more could you ask for??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchGoodDined on 9/6/2014We had a fabulous dinner here. The food and service were both amazing. The menu is extensive and the wait staff, including the owner, were very attentive. Didn't love the decor - really wasn't remarkable. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceMaterbaMeDined on 9/5/2014Second time dining there, confirming our first impression: Very good. The restaurant is very appealing, with a fresh look and pleasant atmosphere. Our meals were excellent, selected from an interesting menu and presented very nicely. Service was very good- our glasses never lacked for wine or water, and the staff was well prepared in the ingredients and special elements in each dish. BYOB- quick to service the bottles. The deserts are spectacular as well... try the Tiramisu w/gelato on the side. We will return often, and sample the entire menu. We highly recommend this restaurant- an enjoyable evening for sure.Special Features:
- A FAVORITEbellaDined on 9/4/2014Boccone South has the culinary know-how along with an impressive menu thanks to owner, Silvio.The warm greeting assures your needs will be met graciously. Our appetizer was delicious, salad was creative, especially enjoyed with fresh peaches. Stuffed pork medallions were bursting with chopped raisins, apricots and prunes tenderly seated in red wine reduction sauce. ABSOLUTELY SUPERB! WOULD ORDER THIS ENTREE EVERY TIME I DINE HERE! As with the seared yellow-fin tuna over shrimp risotto, served to PERFECTION! Both mouthwatering! High class presentation with gold star taste! Silvio's homemade bread pudding with side of gelato and cappuccino...HEAVENLY! Classy Mediterranean restaurant to impress your date or celebrate with family and friends!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian MealHopeforbetter7Dined on 9/1/2014The family and I really enjoyed our dining experience at Boccone South. The owner visited our table and made recommendations that were superb. The food was fresh, rich and filling. We highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Local ItalianViretarmisDined on 8/23/2014We've all had Italian (you're from New Jersey, right?) This is a step above. From the warm personal greeting by maitre'd to the smart and hip waitstaff, this place is worth a trip. Great menu, which changes with the seasons. Reasonable prices, home made pasta and BYOB. What are you waiting for?.Special Features:
- A South Orange GemTioPeteVIPDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful food, service and abidance at very reasonable prices. A great place to dineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BebeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Everyone enjoyed their food. The service was very good. An enjoyable evening! We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedScarletDined on 8/12/2014Perhaps it was late in the day for lunch but the food was not at all presented well and was drenched in sauce and left much to be desired. The cappuccino tasted like sweet hot milk.....awful..... It will be a long time before returning, for lunch anyway.
- DennisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The owner was very friendly came to table a few times to see how everything was if we didn't see what we wanted on menu he would make it for us food was good service was good and price was also good would and will come backSpecial Features:
- mimiannemimianneDined on 8/8/2014This place could be reallly great - the owner and servers were very nice - but they very much need to figure out what kind of restaurant they're going to be. Some of the food was good but some of it was really mediocre. And, though there are new owners, they are still serving food off the old owners menu! Which wasn't that good to begin with. So they need to work on finding their own identity. If they do that this could turn into a really solid neighborhood choice.
- Good food, great serviceMagnumVIPDined on 8/3/2014Have dined here at least 6 times and food is always good. It won't knock your socks off but it is reliably tasty and quick. bYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden TreasurebellaDined on 7/18/2014Discovered Boccone South! A "must go" restaurant for delicious Mediterranean cuisine. Silvio made sure we received gracious "on point" service. Our savory dinners included the Tilapia Provinciale and the Veal Saltimbocca. Our desserts were delicious and to our surprise we were also served a complementary portion of "zabaglione with fresh strawberries"...DELICIOUS...made by Silvio. The ambiance, service and Italian cuisine has you coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OwnerMariaVIPDined on 7/17/2014While the food here is very good and we frequent Boccone numerous times, the manager/owner never came to our table to ask if we enjoyed our meal. There weren't many diners there when we went, yet he went to all the other patrons and asked and never once came to ours. Its very special when the owner takes the time to ask if we enjoyed our food and when that doesn't happen, you really want to never go back there again.Special Features:
- A favoprite place for us to dineTioPeteVIPDined on 7/17/2014Wonderful food, service, ambiance at very reasonable prices. The home made style tiramisu I had was the best ever!!!Special Features:
- barbaraDined on 7/12/2014Food and service were both good, but the restaurant was practically empty at prime time on a Saturday night. Made it a little less fun, but I'd go back and others should try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 162 reviews are from the Boccone South reviews archive.
- Local favorite with broader appealSolidGVIPDined on 6/27/2014We eat here often and always enjoy it. We have brought friends from in and outside of NJ and to a person they remark on how good it must be to have such an excellent restaurant so close to home. BYOB with a liquor store just a two short blocks way. Excellent pizza and they will change some ingredients if you prefer something different. Even if something isn't top notch (get the Thai, not the regular, calamari - the regular is a bit bland), the owner, Silvio off-sets any little issue with his friendly disposition and his desire to make everything work for you. Leave room for dessert. Family-friendly but can also work for a romantic dinner. It is a shame the place is nearly empty weeknights but that can be to your advantage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Orange Winnerluv2dineVIPDined on 6/20/2014Enjoyed dinner on Friday evening for the first time at Boccone South. The wait staff was attentive,but not intrusive. Our wine was handled in an efficient way. We ordered a salad special, and spedini to share. Both were tasty. We also had chicken fantasia and another chicken special . Portions were plentiful. Silvio, the owner, was very personable and present. Our dessert of bread pudding and ice cream was very good. A nice addition to the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, service, overallM2MeDined on 6/8/2014The food was incredible. The owner stopped by our table and we just HAD to give him rave reviews. Will definitely be stopping by again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A South Orange GemTioPeteVIPDined on 6/8/2014Wonderful food, service, ambience and reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- Very yummymomofthreeDined on 6/7/2014Had a delicious meal at the restaurant...Salad was really fresh and extremely large portions. Had a special parmesan crusted halibut over fava bean risotto which was out of this world. I could eat that dish everyday. Was a bit disappointed with dessert but the meal was fantastic..Will definitely go back...very quiet restaurant and the service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Italian restaurantOrangeSquaredDined on 6/5/2014The quintessential Italian restaurant experience is at Boccone South. Appetizers, entrees, and desserts are fresh and delicious, each with a signature twist making it unique. It's hard to imagine a more welcoming and warm staff, from owner Silvio to the servers. Silvio's authentic Southern Italian polenta with mushrooms is a gastronomic delight. Veal saltimbocca was luscious. Homemade tiramisu capped a perfect meal. We live in the area and can't count the Italian restaurants within easy reach, but Boccone's has become ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014The owner was warm and welcoming. BYOB helped to keep the tab down. Service was excellent. Portions were ample. Food was average.
- Desserts need worksuchafoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014The tiramisu was one of the worst I ever had which is unfortunate because the food otherwise is generally quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A South Orange GemTioPeteVIPDined on 5/24/2014great food, service and prices! It's a favorite place for us to dineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceDrCarolDined on 5/23/2014We had a party of 9. Celebrating a graduation. Great service, even the owner was a wonderful presence. Different food tastes. Some had food allergies. Everyone was happy with the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a pleasure to be able to have our food tastes and needs met!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy4diningDined on 5/18/2014Silvio, the owner for six months, has maintained the fine quality from his predecessor. Food is very good with excellent variety - from pizza to lamb chops, from steak to pasta. We've dined at least dozen times and it always pleases.Special Features:
- Perfecto!setonhallgradDined on 5/17/2014My family came to South Orange from Pittsburgh this weekend for my graduation. We were looking for a good restaurant to have dinner after the ceremony, and a professor of mine recommended Boccone. It turned out to be an excellent suggestion! Not only was the food outstandingly delicious, the service was impeccable. Our server was extremely friendly, upbeat, and knowledgeable. The entire staff of the restaurant appeared to be the same way, greeting us with smiling faces. The food was authentic Italian and it was one of the best meals I had in a long time. I was so pleased that we chose to dine here because it provided my out-of-state family members with a great and memorable experience in South Orange. I'll definitely be back to Boccone!Special Features:
- New Name Still Very GoodTerp330VIPDined on 5/17/2014Nice Italian BYOB. Pizza Margarita is closest to real Napoli we've found in NJ. Had swordfish special and fish plus risotto were just right.Special Features: