59 S Orange Ave.
South Orange, NJ 07079Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 9733789222x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 11:00am - 10:30pm
Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Lunch for Private Events only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Sicilian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Carlo Carbonaro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Off-Premise Catering available - please inquire about menus
A word from Boccone South
Welcome to Boccone South! We bring a Modern Mediterranean flare to South Orange, NJ's hottest new old fashion Italian restaurant. Host: Silvio CarusoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boccone South reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (14)romantic (12)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Local ItalianViretarmisDined on 8/23/2014We've all had Italian (you're from New Jersey, right?) This is a step above. From the warm personal greeting by maitre'd to the smart and hip waitstaff, this place is worth a trip. Great menu, which changes with the seasons. Reasonable prices, home made pasta and BYOB. What are you waiting for?.Special Features:
- A South Orange GemTioPeteVIPDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful food, service and abidance at very reasonable prices. A great place to dineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BebeDined on 8/14/2014Everyone enjoyed their food. The service was very good. An enjoyable evening! We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedScarletDined on 8/12/2014Perhaps it was late in the day for lunch but the food was not at all presented well and was drenched in sauce and left much to be desired. The cappuccino tasted like sweet hot milk.....awful..... It will be a long time before returning, for lunch anyway.
- DennisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The owner was very friendly came to table a few times to see how everything was if we didn't see what we wanted on menu he would make it for us food was good service was good and price was also good would and will come backSpecial Features:
- mimiannemimianneDined on 8/8/2014This place could be reallly great - the owner and servers were very nice - but they very much need to figure out what kind of restaurant they're going to be. Some of the food was good but some of it was really mediocre. And, though there are new owners, they are still serving food off the old owners menu! Which wasn't that good to begin with. So they need to work on finding their own identity. If they do that this could turn into a really solid neighborhood choice.
- Good food, great serviceMagnumVIPDined on 8/3/2014Have dined here at least 6 times and food is always good. It won't knock your socks off but it is reliably tasty and quick. bYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Discovered Boccone South! A "must go" restaurant for delicious Mediterranean cuisine. Silvio made sure we received gracious "on point" service. Our savory dinners included the Tilapia Provinciale and the Veal Saltimbocca. Our desserts were delicious and to our surprise we were also served a complementary portion of "zabaglione with fresh strawberries"...DELICIOUS...made by Silvio. The ambiance, service and Italian cuisine has you coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OwnerMariaVIPDined on 7/17/2014While the food here is very good and we frequent Boccone numerous times, the manager/owner never came to our table to ask if we enjoyed our meal. There weren't many diners there when we went, yet he went to all the other patrons and asked and never once came to ours. Its very special when the owner takes the time to ask if we enjoyed our food and when that doesn't happen, you really want to never go back there again.Special Features:
- A favoprite place for us to dineTioPeteVIPDined on 7/17/2014Wonderful food, service, ambiance at very reasonable prices. The home made style tiramisu I had was the best ever!!!Special Features:
- barbaraDined on 7/12/2014Food and service were both good, but the restaurant was practically empty at prime time on a Saturday night. Made it a little less fun, but I'd go back and others should try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local favorite with broader appealSolidGVIPDined on 6/27/2014We eat here often and always enjoy it. We have brought friends from in and outside of NJ and to a person they remark on how good it must be to have such an excellent restaurant so close to home. BYOB with a liquor store just a two short blocks way. Excellent pizza and they will change some ingredients if you prefer something different. Even if something isn't top notch (get the Thai, not the regular, calamari - the regular is a bit bland), the owner, Silvio off-sets any little issue with his friendly disposition and his desire to make everything work for you. Leave room for dessert. Family-friendly but can also work for a romantic dinner. It is a shame the place is nearly empty weeknights but that can be to your advantage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Orange Winnerluv2dineVIPDined on 6/20/2014Enjoyed dinner on Friday evening for the first time at Boccone South. The wait staff was attentive,but not intrusive. Our wine was handled in an efficient way. We ordered a salad special, and spedini to share. Both were tasty. We also had chicken fantasia and another chicken special . Portions were plentiful. Silvio, the owner, was very personable and present. Our dessert of bread pudding and ice cream was very good. A nice addition to the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, service, overallM2MeDined on 6/8/2014The food was incredible. The owner stopped by our table and we just HAD to give him rave reviews. Will definitely be stopping by again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A South Orange GemTioPeteVIPDined on 6/8/2014Wonderful food, service, ambience and reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- Very yummymomofthreeDined on 6/7/2014Had a delicious meal at the restaurant...Salad was really fresh and extremely large portions. Had a special parmesan crusted halibut over fava bean risotto which was out of this world. I could eat that dish everyday. Was a bit disappointed with dessert but the meal was fantastic..Will definitely go back...very quiet restaurant and the service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Italian restaurantOrangeSquaredDined on 6/5/2014The quintessential Italian restaurant experience is at Boccone South. Appetizers, entrees, and desserts are fresh and delicious, each with a signature twist making it unique. It's hard to imagine a more welcoming and warm staff, from owner Silvio to the servers. Silvio's authentic Southern Italian polenta with mushrooms is a gastronomic delight. Veal saltimbocca was luscious. Homemade tiramisu capped a perfect meal. We live in the area and can't count the Italian restaurants within easy reach, but Boccone's has become ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014The owner was warm and welcoming. BYOB helped to keep the tab down. Service was excellent. Portions were ample. Food was average.
- Desserts need worksuchafoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014The tiramisu was one of the worst I ever had which is unfortunate because the food otherwise is generally quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A South Orange GemTioPeteVIPDined on 5/24/2014great food, service and prices! It's a favorite place for us to dineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceDrCarolDined on 5/23/2014We had a party of 9. Celebrating a graduation. Great service, even the owner was a wonderful presence. Different food tastes. Some had food allergies. Everyone was happy with the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a pleasure to be able to have our food tastes and needs met!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy4diningDined on 5/18/2014Silvio, the owner for six months, has maintained the fine quality from his predecessor. Food is very good with excellent variety - from pizza to lamb chops, from steak to pasta. We've dined at least dozen times and it always pleases.Special Features:
- Perfecto!setonhallgradDined on 5/17/2014My family came to South Orange from Pittsburgh this weekend for my graduation. We were looking for a good restaurant to have dinner after the ceremony, and a professor of mine recommended Boccone. It turned out to be an excellent suggestion! Not only was the food outstandingly delicious, the service was impeccable. Our server was extremely friendly, upbeat, and knowledgeable. The entire staff of the restaurant appeared to be the same way, greeting us with smiling faces. The food was authentic Italian and it was one of the best meals I had in a long time. I was so pleased that we chose to dine here because it provided my out-of-state family members with a great and memorable experience in South Orange. I'll definitely be back to Boccone!Special Features:
- New Name Still Very GoodTerp330Dined on 5/17/2014Nice Italian BYOB. Pizza Margarita is closest to real Napoli we've found in NJ. Had swordfish special and fish plus risotto were just right.Special Features:
- My sons Communion Party/lunchRomanticSpotDined on 5/17/2014My family and friends had a wonderful time. Silvio and his entire staff were very attentive and the food was amazing.. Kudos to Buccone south for being incredible. That Flambé was outstanding... We are all coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014Food was delicious- service was great- we had a wonderful time!Special Features:
- Superb service...good foodTDPEACHESDined on 5/11/2014The owner Silvio and his staff must be commended for the service. They go above and beyond to insure that every need is met and we never felt rushed. I have frequented this place under a few names and a few owners and my favorite waiter Reuben is still there providing excellent service. The restaurant has been remodeled very nicely. Food presentation was appealing and portions were ample. Other than the calamari (like rubber bands), the food was good and the prices were very reasonable. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Meh....LUVFOODTRVLVIPDined on 5/10/2014Were seated promptly on a Sat. night. Waiter recites specials and leaves for 20 minutes. We gave him the order and ordered a pizza well done. When the pizza came out it was barely cooked. An ordered soup came out chilled- except it was clam chowder. A pedrigal of dumplings came out with ice cold interiors over hot (and very bland) vodka sauce. A main of chicken scarp. was enjoyed by one of our party. A veal salimboca had 0 taste and the side mashed came out cold. All in all, we won't be coming back. And did I mention when out waiter did come back to take our order he wreaked of cigarette smoke?
- Always a treat.casanitaVIPDined on 5/10/2014From the moment you walk in and are greeted by your host, Silvio, you know you are going to have a great meal. Wonderful food, good service and nice ambiance. AND BYO to boot. What could be better!Special Features:
- BYOB with very good food82NdchefDined on 5/10/2014Made a last minute reservation and arrived late. No problem. Very personable service with good food to boot. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambitious Italian that misses.TrilliniteVIPDined on 5/10/2014The restaurant is in a space that hasn't completely lost the hard surfaces of the ice cream shop it once was. Maybe because of that, we found the noise level a little off-putting. The menu tries to be out of the ordinary and it's reasonably priced. I ordered the spinach balls in a vodka sauce to start, and the black linquini with shell fish as an entrée. The spinach balls were bland with the sauce providing most of the dish's taste. The pasta dish was well prepared but also lacked distinctive flavor. Same for my wife's veal chop. We ordered 3 deserts and liked the strawberry zabaglione the most. For me, it was too much zabaglione and not enough strawberries. I would probably give the place another try, but not for a special occasion.
- The following 142 reviews are from the Boccone South reviews archive.
- Love the restaurantIKSouthODined on 5/3/2014The food at Boccone is excellent. I wouldn't call the decor fancy, but it's very nice. The people in our party of 6 all had salads, pizza and pasta. The salads were very fresh with creative ingredients. The pasta was al dente, perfect and the sauces are also fresh and delicious. The pizza is very thin, crispy crust with lots of variety of choices. That was the only problem we had with the restaurant, they have only one small, pizza oven so our pizzas came at different times. It would also be nice if wine was served. It's BYOB, which doesn't fit with the higher end feel of the atmosphere and menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood ItalianMagnumVIPDined on 5/2/2014Have dined here on a number of ocassions and the food is reliably good and price is on a par with other restaurants of this caliber. Service is always friendly and professional. Even when they make an error, they make efforts to corect it ASAP. No liquor license so ByOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Outstanding Meal at BocconeKevinDined on 4/30/2014I have now been here about 6 or so times, and every meal has been absolutely fantastic! This evening, I had a Spinach Dumplings and Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms as appetizers, Pepper-Crusted Tuna (rare) with Shrimp Risotto for my main course, and the Croissant Bread Pudding for desert. Every course was served exactly as ordered and was excellent! The Bread Pudding was decadent. Has to be the richest bread pudding I've ever had! In addition to the excellent meal, we were entertained by Vince Torrell, a wonderful singer specializing in Frank Sinatra and other crooner songs. I have heard him a few times previously with the Infernos, and he is always great! Perfect night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Italian foodRomanticSpotDined on 4/29/2014BYOB, Silvio, & his Flambé are incredible. His home made Lasagna are like the old Country. WOW. Ask him to make what ever you like. He will accommodate. What a place.. I love it and go at least 2 times a week... Thank you for coming to South orange... You must go for his lunch. What a value. Portions are huge so be prepared to bring home a doggie bag!Special Features:
- Very good local placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2014Host was charming. Most of the food was delicious. Servings were large. Sat in the back where it was pretty but unfortunately very noisy. Service was very good. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulEmmieDined on 4/20/2014We ate at Boccone South on Easter. There was a nice crowd enjoying the holiday. As always, the food was wonderful: zucchini blossoms - yum; nice big salad; pan seared mahi mahi and rack of lamb were both delicious; and ended with bananas flambe made at the table by the owner, Silvio. Can't say enough about the service. The staff is attentive but not in an interfering way. Silvio has a great personality and ensures that everyone is having a good experience. FYI - it is a BYOB. Looking forward to returning for Sinatra night on Wednesday, April 30th.Special Features:
- A South Orange GemTioPeteVIPDined on 4/19/2014Excellent food, service and ambiance at reasonable prices. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another GREAT meal!Italian1979Dined on 4/13/2014Boccone South is never a disappointment! Silvio and his team are always introducing new dishes. This time they added two more great HOMEMADE deserts! First being Bananas & Strawberry Flambe cooked table side. The second new desert is a Strawberry Zabaglione! My table had to try both and let me tell you they were AMAZING! I highly recommend you try them. I can't wait for our next visit to see other new exciting items Silvio and Carlo will come up with next! BUON LAVORO!Special Features:
- KimballVIPDined on 4/12/2014Best pizza around! Unique combinations that were mouth watering!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.