Bocci's Italian Restaurant
158 Church St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bocci's Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boccis.com/
- Phone: 8437202121x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Chad Healey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bocci's Italian Restaurant
Involvement with the local community is very important. Bocci’s is proud to serve products that have been locally sourced and produced. In addition, Bocci’s is very involved with the “green initiative,” taking every available step to keep our planet a healthy one. The Bocci’s team strives to provide the perfect experience. Bocci’s Italian Restaurant, located in the historical downtown market area of Charleston, is locally owned and has been in operation since 1990. Over 20 years of business has made Bocci’s a staple for locals and visitors alike. Upon entrance, guests are swept away by the classic Italian, open air trattoria style décor. The menu provides the perfect balance of rustic, old world Italian favorites and creative, Mediterranean influenced specials. Featured items on the menu include the Tuscan Duck, Traditional Parmesans, Grilled Salmon Insalata, Chicken Picatta and made to order, 9 inch thin crust pie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Bocci's Italian Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Bocci's Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (37)neighborhood gem (35)special occasion (26)fit for foodies (20)kid-friendly (19)good for groups (18)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (8)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Italian FoodccriderDined on 9/19/2014Food was excellent with good friendly service. Arancine appetizer was a great start to our meal. Casual enough but very nice setting for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you can't say anything good...PatrickVIPDined on 9/16/2014In an area where a good Italian restaurant would do well this one doesn't. At least the wine was good.
- Thank you!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We had such a good time here the food was great and the service was very good. This is the second time I have eaten here and I loved it the first time but even more the second time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In LoveLuv2eatDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant is amazing love the food an serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014It was my wife's birthday and we had a great experience.Special Features:
- really gone down-hillJIDinerDined on 9/4/2014It's been several years since I've been to Bocci's and was completely let down. When I mentioned it to my friends, they all said "Oh yeah... you didn't know? It's gone down-hill!" I was greeted by a girl wearing khaki shorts and a tank top, immediately indicating that the restaurant was no longer up-scale. However, the prices surely are! We ordered off the restaurant week menu, and I would've been embarrassed to serve the food. The ravioli appetizer was drenched in oil and hard. The NY strip was a blob of fat. The mashed potatoes were cold. We didn't bother sending it back, as we saw the table next to us just as displeased. Obviously, this was the quality of food being sent out.
- All our food was wonderfulMommadeeDined on 9/3/2014Some if us got the special other ordered from menu . Everyone had plenty of food and it was yummy .spaghetti was my husbands favorite . I got the linguini with artichokes I thought it was amazing ! Will definite go again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good value in the MarketOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Had Salmon Piccata and Chicken Marsala. Both were very reasonably priced. Fish was fresh. Nice presentation. Served with Risotto and fresh wilted Spinach. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just sotravellerfoodieDined on 8/31/2014I know this restaurant from a long time ago, but had expected the same quality of food preparation than before. Beet salad was tasteless and decorated with 4 pieces of unseasoned Beets, needed vinegar and pickled beets. Main course Grouper was well presented but bland.Chicken Marsala sauce vinegary, no taste of marsala. Dessert a misnoma I know CASSATA as an Italien ICECREAM similarly to Napoleon and has pistachios. we were served a layered spongecake and returned it. yet very friendly and concerned service made up for it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Italian FoodseaducksDined on 8/30/2014If you're looking for good Italian food, Bocci's is the place for you. We have eaten there several times and never never had a meal that we didn't enjoy. That can't be said about the other Italian restaurants in the Charleston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FinddBeesKneesISdBuisnessDined on 8/30/2014Bocci is one of those places that you wouldn't think could deliver on the combination food, service, and ambiance. Yet, Bocci delivered all and did so with charm and style.Special Features:
- Always love this placePearsonDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant is always the best! I'm not super fond of the downstairs and I requested the upstairs on my reservation, but since the food is ALWAYS AMAZING I can't give it a bad score. Just request the upstairs and you'll love this place!Special Features:
- they need a good italian cookbookbgbytoysDined on 8/28/2014If you are looking for Italian skip this place. Just because some meals have a red sauce doesn't make it a Italian dish. The chef should either get a cookbook or watch some Italian cooking shows. If you like eating here and are offended by this review you don't know decent Italian food. Come north to chilly, ny, Boston. Then you will know.Special Features:
- Not as good as I rememberedTravelerDined on 8/25/2014Was there about 7 or 8 years ago and it was excellent. This time not as much so. The caesar dressing was not good. The chicken dishes (marsala and picatta) were dry. They should pound the chicken breasts to make them thinner and marinate them first. It was just like dry chicken breasts with sauce.
- MikeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Bread was not the best but overall the food was very good.Special Features:
- Delicious!DelishDined on 8/22/2014I loved my experience here. I brought my extended family that came from out of town to Bocci's for dinner and they loved it. I got the tortellini dish and had fresh cannolis for dessert. Everything hit the spot including the freshly baked rolls! Our waitress was very attentive as well. Would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014The waiter was very efficeint and courteous.. All guest with us really enjoyed the evening thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, awful foodEtruscoVIPDined on 8/21/2014The cook must have been ill the day we ate there and they must have asked the janitor to be in charge of the kitchen. The Caprese had no basil, the bruschette were made with chewy, soft bread, the pizza was uncooked in the middle, and the beet salad looked as though a squirrel had thrown up on the plate. As we say in Italy, una schiffezza!
- Bocci'sJimWDined on 8/18/2014Great food, good portions for the price. Good wine list! We were a group of 6 with two teens. Plenty of choices on the menu. Located close to everything in the Market Place area with easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was favorite restaurantWines2uVIPDined on 8/16/2014This restaurant is right around the corner from me and I've frequently eaten there. It's reasonable and usually good. recently I took out of town guests there and had a bad experience. First, they seated us upstairs, a first for me. It was brightly lit and plain. No candles or flowers on the sticky tables. My salmon was overcooked and my guests duck was undercooked. My replacement salmon was again overcooked. The manager was cavalier mentioning that they can't produce perfect meals 100 percent of the time. She did remove the cost of my meal at my request. I was sad that my out of town guests did not have a good experience their last nite in Charleston. It's difficult to find a place and NOT have a good meal in Charleston!
- BocciCnaicDined on 8/15/2014We had an early evening dinner at Bocci . The location and ambience are good and the service was good and friendly . The food however was disappointing . The calamari starter was not very flavourful. The sauce on the spaghetti bolognese was tasty but had not been sufficiently heated up and was only lukewarm . My wife had the duck special with risotto - the duck was well cooked and tasty but the risotto seemed badly reheated . All in all this could be a very good restaurant if they could just pay a bit more attention to the food side .Special Features:
- Very goodVpgirlDined on 8/10/2014The food was excellent and so was the service. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherMjt14Dined on 8/10/2014Do yourself a favor and pick another restaurant. There are so many wonderful places to eat in Charleston but this is not one of them. Our waitress was very nice. We ordered the fried calamari which was so overcooked you almost choked trying to swallow it, they did ask if everything was ok and I said no so they cooked another order of calamari, this time the rings were so rubbery you could not eat them. My husband ordered a seafood dish for $20, 4 tiny shrimp 61/70 ct and 5 tiny scallops 20/30 ct and 7 mussels, food cost for all = $3.00. The dish was flavorless. I had eggplant parm, sauce was "old" brown and reheated way too many times. Sorry to say this Italian restaurant does not care about the food they put out.
- Great RestaurantPrincessDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful little restaurant that I read mixed reviews about, but was very pleased. Was seated quickly, definitely glad I had reservations. My husband and I both had chicken parm which was very good. Appeared to be kid friendly, although we were alone. Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/7/2014We always enjoy the food and service. Always eat here when visiting Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014An enjoyable dinner. *************************************************************Special Features:
- DisappointingLuvsfoodDined on 8/1/2014We came to Boccis bc it had good reviews online, and while it was a nice atmosphere and our waitress was pleasant, most of our food was under seasoned and our appetizer of calamari was overcooked. I don't like giving negative reviews, but I was hoping the food would have been better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Very busy & noisy but it was Friday night. The food was ok, but the prices were reasonable. The resturant was cute & server was very helpful & attentive despite how busy it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What It Once WasGoodMeals4MeDined on 7/26/2014When we first discovered Bocci several years ago after moving to Charleston, we were impressed with the food, and the blend of their menu between "standard" Italian fare tempered with some innovative items that led us to try something that we might not have. It appears that, like other places downtown, they have jumped on the mainstream "tourist" traffic bandwagon, and their menu has followed suit...nothing out of the ordinary that can't be found at any other Italian restaurant, either on or off the peninsula. Not saying that we will never return, but it won't be our first choice. Nothing on the menu required any imagination in the kitchen.
- It was okayNMulvanyVIPDined on 7/24/2014You have to remember you are on the tourist route. The food was okay. I'd stick to appetizers and drinks next time. Under staffed from what I could tell. We thought it was nice. I wouldn't go again b/c this is not true Italian. Anyone that says it is can't have really eaten good Italian, traveled or much of a foodie.Special Features:
- Good experience overallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Food was good, service was good, ambiance was good. The mozzerella appetizer was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian Foodhappycamper8623Dined on 7/15/2014This restaurant was nice for a good Italian meal. The place is small and their is plenty of help there. Service was excellent and food came fast. The atmosphere would be better without the bright lighting. That took all of the ambiance away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic Italian FoodKDSPLUSDined on 7/12/2014Food was pretty good. Service was reasonable. Not the best Italian but not bad. Price is certainly right. A good alternative to high end establishments around the Charleston Market.Special Features:
- Love Italian FoodJeannieDined on 7/11/2014We come to Charleston every year and always dine at Bocci's. My husband looks forward to the rice balls all year. We always have good food and great service there.Special Features:
- missed the mark in customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/20141. we were 1/2 way through our appetizer and our entree came out, bad timing on the chef's side... 2. food lacked in taste 3. had to ask the server if we could have some bread 4. ordered 2 x double expresso, they came out luke warm...ugggghhh, mentioned this to the server, he thanked us for letting him know, but you would think he would have offered us a single expresso on the house...nope..... 5. we did go over all the above with our server and his only comment back was, "I was going to bring out your bread right before your entree....what? entree came out during the appetizer... 6. our bill was easily $150 for 2 people, this restaurant was way off the mark for the price
- Great food with good friendslinnie49Dined on 7/6/2014One of our favorite couples visited us last year and we took them to Bocci's. When they were planning their trip for this year, they specifically asked that we return! Although we arrived ten minutes early, we were seated promptly at the window table we had requested. The service was terrific! Frequent but not annoying, prompt to clear used plates, and no effort to rush our meal there. Our friends will be returning again, and we will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- Should have read recent reviewVisitorfromEPVIPDined on 7/3/2014Worst meal from this service ever. Last minute change and regret.
- DisappointingHHIfoodieVIPDined on 7/1/2014We went to Bocci's, based on OT reviews. What a disappointment. Our food was inedible; my tortellini was swimming in a pool of oil, with chunks of pancetta so hard I couldn't chew them. They were out of two wines we requested; their recommendation was swill. We left half a bottle in the table. We will not be back.
- Good Solid Italian Food!DJJPDined on 6/30/2014Our second time to Bocci's - both times were very good. Great value. Something for everyone. Kid Freindly. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- Still doing greatNomzieDined on 6/28/2014We have been here 10 yrs. ago and this place has gotten better, food is good, authentic Italian at a good price. The waitress was very nice and ver friendly.Special Features: