478 Green Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boccecafe.com/
- Phone: 4159812044
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday - Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Lunch: Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Ramon Yosun 4157560065
- Entertainment: Every Friday and Saturday, Bocce Café offers live music, including jazz, Bossa Nova, old classics and some surprises thrown in every now and then.
A word from Bocce Cafe
Bocce Cafe brings the taste of Italy to North Beach. At Bocce, we try to offer a variety of choices, including a new surprise on our menu weekly! With a full bar open every day, you can be assured that you will be able to enjoy your special drink or maybe a favorite wine from our first class wine selection. From the appetizers to the dessert, we want you to feel like you are in Italy here at Bocce Cafe!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bocce Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- good local- food is questiablenewfoodieVIPDined on 7/20/2014Dined there for the first time on Sunday, happy hour food was too salty, tri color pasta dish oily and without flavor. The chicken appetizer was under cooked- had to send it back and service was not at all attentive. Nice location but food and service needs great improvement. They had a bit of entertainment there, she was nice as she came to each table to thank us for our business but she sang for a bit, stopped, then sang another bit of a tune and stopped again?? Strange. The whole experience was just off. I work at a four star hotel in union square and I would be hard pressed to recommend this restaurant to any of our guests. Wasted my hard earned "open table" check at this establishment.
- jacqjacqDined on 7/15/2014I was looking forwarded to this restaurant, but sadly cannot give a good review.
- interesting ambianceScarlettDined on 7/6/2014We made a reservation for lunch on a Sunday, which, we really didn't need as we were the only party in the restaurant ! However, the decor is quite unusual, food was really good, service excellent ( they even held our left-overs for us until the matinee performance of BBB was over !) Great neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 223 reviews are from the Bocce Cafe reviews archive.
- If you can't say anything good....NineIningzDined on 6/29/2014The reviews were good and the entry to this North Beach restaurant was promising. However, our meal fell apart after that. In a large dining room that looked like it would teem with activity for a sporting event, we were the only guests on a Sunday night at 7:00 - accompanied by one other party that sat on the patio. The bread was dry, the pasta nondescript, and the service perfunctory. Overall, very disappointing.
- Bocce CafeAmadaVIPDined on 6/23/2014Parking was not a problem! Lots of street parking, with or without a meter, which ends at 6pm. The restaurant was virtually empty (we had a 5 pm reserv), but whatever...we had great service, food and a quiet place to talk! I ordered spaghetti with meatballs, a spinach salad, and had a really delicious tiramisu! I know the reviews were up and down for this restaurant...but I had a good experience here at Bocce Cafe.Special Features:
- Great for kidsIvanDined on 6/20/2014Accomodating and friendly, Bocce Cafe always has an open table and VALET parking in North Beach. Recommended for families with kids. Food is fresh, but won't win any awards as the menu is 20 years old. Linguini with clams is a decent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdrsistersDined on 6/20/2014The food lacked in everything, prep, taste and presentation. We should have gotten the hint when we walked in 6PM and there were only 4 people in the place. No Italian sourdough. They offer French bread. Had to ask for grated cheese, which they provided from a shaker-type container, no fresh grated parm? No fresh grated pepper? We ordered linguini with clams in white sauce. We got linguini and clams swimming in a clam juice, tasty, but doesn't work. The chicken parm came with linguini and thankfully we asked for the sauce on the side; which was not fresh and tasted from a jar. The waitress never cracked a smile, let alone a welcoming atmosphere. The one plus: the restaurant is clean. Bypass this one.
- Great date night spot!jvolkDined on 6/5/2014I work in SF but live in the East Bay so my wife and I meet in the city for dinner every once in a while. We love Italian and gave Bocce Cafe a try. We loved it! Awesome atmosphere, tucked away in North Beach. It is pretty good size, though you wouldn't expect it when walking by the front entrance. Food was delicious. I went with the tortellini with marinara sauce and we also got mussels to share as an appetizer. We'd definitely recommend for family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocce CafeMariaDined on 5/22/2014The chicken was chewy and the meatballs were awful. Did not taste fresh.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerHcoateDined on 5/9/2014I went to celebrate my birthday in North Beach and decided to start with a nice Italian dinner. The table for 10 was set up when I arrived in an ample-spaced area as requested on my reservation. I also mentioned it was my birthday and the kitchen sent out a special appetizer. Food was very well priced and waitstaff was polite and patient. Quieter place with a piano player and trendy environment. Overall very nice experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locals spot in North BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/1/2014This is place is fantastic for a great Italian dinner at a great price without the hype. Its down a small alleyway, so, tourists don't know about it, and its not exactly a place to be seen at, but it a sanctuary of great food and drink. I take people here all the time and they love the homey north beach insider feel it exudes. They have valet parking too, which is critical.Special Features:
- Nice and CozyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014This was a nice little restaurant off the main tourist drive in North Beach. My boyfriend and I went here on a date night. The prices were right for our budget and there was a wide array of food options to choose from. I got the linguini with clams. I thought the pasta and clams were cooked just right, and the white wine and garlic sauce was good, but maybe a little on the watery side. My boyfriend got the spinach ravioli and really like it. The serve was very good, considering they were short staffed and got slammed right after we got there. I would definitely recommend this to friends, but would probably recommend as a place to go with a group, not if you want a romantic date night. The ambiance was more lively than romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Teenage Birthday DinnerNadineKDined on 3/9/2014We had a group of 14 for my daughter's 15th birthday dinner. We went early Sunday evening and the place was empty, easily accommodating the 7 kids, aged 9-17. The entry is quaint and the decor and food is old-school italian comfort food. the food was good, not great but everyone found something they liked. Very well-priced. The service was good, not at all rushed, and they brought out the birthday cake I brought and we cut and served it ourselves. Overall, a very fun evening for a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food while you can catch upSandyDined on 3/8/2014This place is 2 blocks from Columbus Street where the main tourist spots are,hence it is less crowded. We went on a Saturday evening and although we had reservations, I could see that they still had enough open tables. There was nice background piano music (not live) and the noise level was not too high, so you can still talk and hear each other. The food is good and very resonably priced: not the very high prices of Columbus street. Good drinks list also. I would recommend this for family gatherings and as a place to have a good meal with friends.Special Features:
- piano and service trump ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014good appetizers good food good choice on menu wine list is tiny but there are a couple of decent whites and 2 good reds servers were delightful accommodating with a table move to distance from kids and approximate pianoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be good service (wentDavidDined on 2/14/2014Used to be good service (went regularly for years) but really bad experience on Valentine's day and they had lots of empty seats so should have had plenty of staff. Waited 40 minutes for food which was less than mediocre. No apologies or on the house anything. Will be my last visit.acydgod
- Nice , but drabOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/7/2013The food was very tasty and service reasonable. However the the atmosphere was drab. I was there in December and the dining room was cold. Additionally, they had beautiful ornate wall fixtures, but the the surrounding walls are a pink-yellow discolor and bring down the overall atmosphere. The restaurant has potential of being a beautiful spot if the would get an interior designer to help them with the wall color and lighting scheme of the place.Special Features:
- Missed opportunityOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/17/2013Disappointment. We were considering this venue for a family party. It has a nice outdoor area and attractive ambience. The food was without any imagination or anything special. The menu as quite ordinary but one would think that some effort would be made to have a well made Italian dish. Given the venue they could do a whole lot better with a new chef. We did not hang around for dessert but I did notice that three of them came with the exact same sauce, fresh strawberry sauce. Lack of imagination??
- DissapointedSteveVIPDined on 11/8/2013There was a lot of potential but it did not meet with the recommendation we received from the fellow at Nordstrom. Steak was stringy, pasta was passable.Special Features:
- Safe spotMikeDined on 11/1/2013Bocce Cafe is a 'safe spot'. The menu is as you'd expect from an Italian restaurant with traditional dishes. The quality of the food is good. The atmosphere is nice and open, with some live music. Overall, a good safe pick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the RoughJennDined on 10/19/2013I've been to this restaurant twice now and the food is fantastic. They have a good variety on the menu, so there are plenty of options for foodies and picky eaters. The restaurant itself is completely tucked away so you feel like you're far away from SF and instead experiencing one of this city's hidden treasures. I made a reservation and wasn't seated until FORTY minutes after my reservation time. A total bummer. It was the night before the Nike women's marathon so finding an Italian restaurant open anywhere to carbo-load was tricky. I will DEFINITELY return to this fun little hideaway in north beach, but if it looks too busy, I might weigh my options with the million other Italian restaurants down the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Reservation Didn't MatterDineSFDined on 10/19/2013Made a reservation but still had to wait more than a half hour to be seated. The restaurant did not manage their reservations. We were seated in a second patio with a number of large groups away from the main dining room were all the ambience was. The service was pretty good. If the food had been great, the wait would have been worth it.
- Had not been to this restrauntSgreerDined on 10/15/2013Had not been to this restraunt in 10 years. Had a work dinner and know that it's has the space to accommodate larger groups. The restraunt looks very dated and not very clean, definitely needs some upkeep. Staff was friendly. Foid and wine list was was not that impressive. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- good but quieteatersDined on 10/14/2013We were not quite sure why there were no people at the restaurant. Even though it was Monday, we noticed other restaurants were full. Great food.Special Features:
- Disappointing experience with staffMar2014Dined on 9/20/2013This happened today 3/29/14. We had a reservation at 1pm and were coming from SF to have lunch with my mom who is 75 and lives in St. Helena. It poured today and we got there late. 9 minutes beyond their policy and we were told we would have to wait 1 hour to be seated. We used to come here on every special occasion but today we were mistreated by 2 very young and attractive women who probably have no appreciation for the words customer and loyalty. Let's not even throw in the fact that we have an elder person with us. This is just NOT COOL! Our family gathering turned into a discussion and we were left with no place to go - thanks for Farmstead's staff. Way to go and treat regular customers and folks who have lived in SH for over 45 years.
- Good Service Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2013We had a party of 16 people for dinner. Most of the group was visiting from Albuquerque, NM. They are able to accomodate large groups easily. The restaurant was quiet on a Monday night. The waiter was attentive and nice. All the dishes were a good and decent in portion size. They have a very affordable wine list and the helped serve a limoncello cake that was made. Would have a team dinner here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local North Beach Italian.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2013Great local North Beach Italian. Somewhat like the old Basque/Italian family style restaurants that used to be prevelant in North Beach's Italian community (Bring back La Pantera). Food was reasonably priced (i.e. cheap compared to some North Beach restaurants) and Italian pasta was excellent. Wine list has a sufficiently # of reasonably priced Italian and California wines. The entrance is not easy to find (keeps out the day tourists) and the tables are big enough for groups (with reservations). Definitely recommend for a "locals" experience. Also, for those rare warm days and nights, has a nice outdoor patio/eating area. Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good traditional Italian spotMariniteDined on 8/10/2013I picked this restaurant off Open Table since it was Saturday night and we wanted to be sure we had a place for dinner. Choices were limited and when we first arrived the restaurant was not very full which made me a little nervous. However, we had a very good meal, good service, and spent a good two hours plus enjoying dinner, live music, and conversation. On our way out we found this was the former site of the Old Spaghetti Factory which we remembered from our first years in San Francisco. The restaurant is just off Grant and Green so just a little bit off the main track, and had a pleasant corrider that led from the street to the front door. I would recommend this restaurant for a traditional Italian North Beach dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden patiothewaterratDined on 7/30/2013This place has a lovely patio tucked away under glittering xmas lights and trees growing through the deck. Although no views, it is great to sit and focus on the people you are with. Excellent food, great service.Special Features:
- sat outside, there was noOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2013sat outside, there was no ambience aside from natural setting, flowers on each table would have been nice. It didn't feel like a restaurant. It might have been because we were the only patrons, but it felt awkward.
- Poor service led to poor expierenceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2013A group of 5 had dinner on Thursday night. Should have known something was amiss with only four other tables of seated guests. The waitress was cold / unfriendly, regularly forgot to bring the drinks we ordered, and had a shocked look on her face when I suggested coffee after dinner... Even though she had already brought the check. Will try again in another couple years.Special Features:
- BocceSteveDined on 6/23/2013We were a bit disappointed frankly. No table clothes, a shaker of cheese, no ground pepper, paper napkins. We were one of maybe two or three guests and they still got my meal wrong. Love the area, didn't care for the restaurant.
- Bocce - big, loud and busyGallowglassDined on 6/15/2013Late making a reservation for a group of 8. Have not visited in 10+ years and has not changed much. Big open room with seating for 80-100? And boy does it get loud. Piano playing in corner - why there at prime time dining time as its already too loud to really hear the person across the table. He who shouts loudest wins. The service was average, rushed us off table for 'next group coming thru' food was better than I remembered and overall a 2.5/5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid basic old school ItalianSaildocmeisterDined on 5/18/2013Solid basic old school Italian that was an easy dining experience for my four younger kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitMurdocDined on 5/16/2013This was our first visit to Bocce Cafe. We were very early (6:00 PM) and only a few other dinners were present. Thus the service was good. The food was good, not great. I had linguine pesto. The sauce was thicker than I like it and did not have great flavor. My wife had Eggplant Pargimana. She reported it was very good. The restaurant is very nice inside and overall we had a pleasant experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food comes pretty fast, onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013Food comes pretty fast, on top of appetizers, Noise level high hard to hear across table.Special Features:
- Cool neighborhood gemWhimmleDined on 5/11/2013Great place or groups and a unique ambiance in the heart of north beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I came a few years ago & lovedBriWDined on 4/28/2013I came a few years ago & loved everything. This time I brought my mom for her birthday & was very disappointed. The service was very good but the food was nothing I would be back for. The pizza and pasta were mediocre and we sent the dessert back. Even the coffee was cold. It was very unfortunate because I had been raving about the food to my family.
- A secret that's been kept.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/13/2013A secret that's been kept. A delightful, affordable hideaway tucked away in a quuet corner of North Beach.Valet parking, live jazz and an outdoor patio? Belissimo!Special Features:
- Great classic Italian dishes,delightfulVIPDined on 3/2/2013Great classic Italian dishes, well prepared, and unbelievably affordable for North Beach I've lived 4 blocks from this gem for 4 years, and regret this was my first visit. I'm going to have to make up for lost time! Such great service, too, and remarkable decor.Special Features: