39 East 19th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boccanyc.com/
- Phone: 2123871200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: James Corona
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bocca
On June 25th, 2007, Alessandro Peluso together with his friends and family, opened the doors of Bocca with a celebration and an evening of food and wine. This Roman restaurant has been bustling with patrons ever since. Our Chef James Corona is excited to offer a roster of creative Roman dishes to New Yorkers. Chef James uses only imported Italian DOP (protected designation of origin) products and is a proud supporter of the Union Square Green Market. Our meals are complimented by an extensive wine list, an elegant and cozy yet casual dining environment, and a friendly and courteous wait staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bocca reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)romantic (21)special occasion (20)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (14)good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A little Italy in NYKimberlyZDined on 8/24/2014Bocca is one of those places you're so glad you found after your 1st visit. The 50% off wines on Sunday first attracted me to the restaurant and after reading the menu, I knew this was the place for us to try during our NYC visit. Bread and sun-dried tomato dipping sauce was a good indication of what was to come. We ordered the carpaccio di vitello tonnato (exquisite, paper-thin slices of veal melts in your mouth), insalata di cavolo nero (crisp kale with dried cherries, goat cheese and almonds), orecchiette con cavolo nero e salsiccia di agnello (orecchiette, Tuscan kale, spiced lamb sausage VERY tasty) and tonno in padella (seared tuna, fregola rossa, basil-citrus emulsion). Perfectly cooked, perfect service, a perfect gem of a restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014I really wanted to like the food but it was lackluster at best. I appreciate what the vision for the food was but it was poorly executed. The service was a pleasure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Amazing food . Great choice for restaurant week .It was worth the trip from Ohio .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week LunchLove2WineNDineVIPDined on 8/4/2014The food was Very Good and the Wine List has a nice selection of Italian Wines. The specialty cocktails were GREAT! I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Restaurant Weekbritsmith86Dined on 8/1/2014Great food and wine list. Portions were a little small and service was okay, at best. We loved the atmosphere and cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going BackNextChapterDined on 8/1/2014Was in New York City for my birthday. Had dinner here on my birthday and it was amazing. First really nice decor and attentive service. The food was amazing. Had salmon andit was just right. Would go back on my next visit to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bar - small but tasty menuKiwMaxDined on 7/31/2014A firm neighbourhood favourite - small friendly bar, small outdoor space but on a quiet street (beware of the mosquitos...) Menu is limited but tasty - service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best White Sangria EverBestBbkDined on 7/31/2014Nice Italian restaurant but what I loved the most was the sangria. Perfectly done and it was perfectly decorated. I had the cannoli for dessert and it was ok nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutJudiDined on 7/31/2014During restaurant week, we had a great time, the staff was very attentive, our waitress recommended an excellent bottle of wine to go with our dinner. The lamb meatballs were excellent. And dessert was luscious. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Bocca. The pastas were delicious and the white and re wines we chose were very too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite rightDissedDined on 7/22/2014Waitress came by to push desert on us, not realizing we still hadn't received the entrees. Then when it was time fir desert, delivered some if it 20 min before the rest. All in all over-priced and not very imaginativeSpecial Features:
- MeloVIPDined on 7/21/2014Wonderful experience, panna cotta excellent, good service and very pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:
- BoccaLuv2eatDined on 7/18/2014Went here after Buddakan would not accept us being late-) It was great, great food! The sausage pasta , my husband would not stop talking about it, the seared tuna was awesome as well...Special Features:
- Great Italian in GramercymikmDined on 6/19/2014Been to Bocca many times and always have a great meal! Highly recomendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerPastaLoverDined on 6/14/2014Bocca was recommended by the concierge of our hotel. I had a mozzarella & tomato salad which may be simple but it was well done and I really enjoyed it. My husband had veal meatballs (don't remember the name of the dish) and was pleased with his choice. For my main dish I had a pasta dish prepared at the table. At first I thought it was a small portion but it is very rich and it was definitely sufficient and also very good. My husband had a salmon dish with carrots. He was very happy and thinks it was one of the best salmon dishes he has ever had and told that to the waitress. We had no wine or dessert so I can't give my opinion on that. The place is not inexpensive but it isn't ridiculously expensive either. We are very glad we ate here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre AppsHL1989Dined on 6/12/2014The appetizers were over-priced. Tuna tartare was the worst I've ever had. The entrees were all delicious - tried multiple pastas and lamb special. Wine was fine and cocktails looked good and unique.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok Service a Little AggresiveRobLVIPDined on 6/11/2014Had dinner a few night ago. Overall all, eh. Restaurant is nice looking. We were seating and the assault to order drinks began. 2 different people asked 3 times before we relented. Do not like the hard sell. Then the drinks took 10 min. or more to get... poor timing. My drink - ridiculously small and not special. We were talking and were told specials before even opening a menu. The place was not jammed so I am unsure why the pressure. Food was good. Bread mediocre with some sort of AMAZING dipping sauce that nobody attempted to explain what it was. Still a mystery. My pasta was solid (w shank meat) but nothing stood out about it. My companions duck was good. Dessert menu uninspired.
- A bit of a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/6/2014Went to this restaurant based on a referral from a friend - the cheese wheel pasta. That was good, but all of the other food was just average. This was also a special occasion (which we let them know about) and our server was awful. Lack of interest, attention and even messed up several things. Really brought down the celebration of the evening.
- UnevenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014Starters were good, especially mozzarella salad and osso bue, Pasta dishes were uneven. I liked the ravioli with beet and goat cheese, but some may find it too sweet. The cavatelli neri pasta dish was nicely spicy. The linguini con rici di mare was just lacking in flavor at all. The cheesecake for dessert was excellent. The wine we chose was not good at all; it was on the lower end of the bottle prices, which are not inexpensive. I think they could find a better wine at that level and still have the profit margin they need.
- Best three course lunch ever!labellasenoraVIPDined on 6/3/2014I love coming here for their 3 course lunch menu. The food is delicious!Special Features:
- Great, As UsualjsmsVIPDined on 6/1/2014Sat outside at Bocca last Sunday. The food was great as usual, and the service was too. We can always rely on Bocca for a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantKmoneyDined on 5/31/2014My boyfriend and I come here once a year. We've made it a tradition. And everytime we absolutely love it! I was a little sad to see that they took away the matches from the bathroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014i met an old friend who lives out of town last Saturday night and I always hate recommending a restaurant, but I wasn't disappointed. The staff is just wonderful and very attentive. The bartender was so sweet a real gem and the food was delicious.. It's nice to go to a restaurant and be treated like your business matter to them.Special Features:
- Standard ItalianCaitieVIPDined on 5/29/2014Bocca is good. Located in a nice area, good ambiance, GREAT bartender, and the service is nice. The food was good, but to me, fairly standard Italian. You can't go wrong with what you order here, but the prices are a bit high. I would go back if someone else wanted to go here but I wouldn't go out of my way to come here again. Maybe for a drink at the bar, but that's it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical red sauce Italian.casanitaVIPDined on 5/25/2014Consistently fine, authentic Roman cuisine. Great pastas and the half price wine list on Sunday makes it a real value.Special Features:
- deliciousssnycDined on 5/24/2014Dinner was delicious. All four of us were very happy with our meals, from the pear salad, to the duck or risotto, to the nutella bread pudding. Must have: the tonnarelli!Special Features:
- Quiet and AuthenticJWrennDined on 5/16/2014I discovered this place roughly four years ago for a birthday dinner for my husband and have been returning sporadically ever since. The service is outstanding and the pasta is made in-house.Special Features:
- SuperbOnegr8restaurantDined on 5/16/2014The whole dining experience was just superb. Would definetly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is divineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants a in the city. The spiral pasta with sweet sausage and buffalo mozzarella is a dish I have been addicted to for at least 4 years. Love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best cacio e pepeRalphDined on 5/9/2014Everything ordered was delicious. The cacio e pepe is probably the best I've ever had in the city. We would return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing and neglectedJaneDined on 5/7/2014I had heard good things about Bocca in the past, but maybe its time has past. The menu was uninspiring. There were two specials which did not distinguish themselves and my guest and I did not even consider them. The salad was overdressed, the antipasto boring, and my entree -- hand made pappardelle was a bowl of mush. Great location for a restaurant, but the chef and the ownership need to pay more attention to the place. It seems neglected.
- The following 1001 reviews are from the Bocca reviews archive.
- Sunday night specialfood4thoughtVIPDined on 4/27/2014Don't miss the Sunday night 1/2 price bottles of wine or the Tonnarelli cacio e pepe!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceSouthernersinNYCDined on 4/19/2014Atmosphere is warm and welcoming. Dining experience fit for royalty. Food amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Union SquareFranDined on 4/18/2014Everything at Bocca is first-rate—the food, the ambience and the wait staff! And the $17.95 prix fixe three-course lunch is not only delicious but a total "steal"! If you are looking for a great dining experience at both lunch and dinner as well as a GREAT PLACE FOR A BUSINESS LUNCH, do not walk to Bocca—RUN!Special Features:
- Great lunch special!labellasenoraVIPDined on 4/10/2014Food is amazing! I must if you are visiting the Chelsea/Flatiron district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended!labellasenoraVIPDined on 4/8/2014The food is always delicious and service with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork sampling quite goodHHellerVIPDined on 4/7/2014My husband tried the special pork sampling which was really good and 3 huge portions.Special Features:
- This was a first time @ Bocca.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2014This was a first time @ Bocca. Food was OK not great. Pasta portions not adequate. Service was slow. It took the food server over 10 minutes to take a drink order or drop bread & butter. Would not return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd visit not last!FrequentNYCdinerDined on 4/5/2014Over the past few years, have enjoyed a meal at Bocca each time my friends and I have visited the city. We love the atmosphere, food, wine and intimate size of Bocca. If you're GF, you can even have a selection of a couple of GF pastas, although I chose the Long Island duck and was very pleased!Special Features:
- Fish dishesAnidoreDined on 4/3/2014The fish dishes are fantastic. Salmon or Bronzino, hard to decideSpecial Features: