55 Webster Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bocanova.com/
- Phone: 510-444-1233
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Bocaditos 11:00am – 4:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Monday - Wednesday
Lunch 11:30am – 3:00pm | Happy Hour 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Thursday - Friday
Lunch 11:30am – 3:00pm | Happy Hour 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 10:30pm
Brunch Bocaditos 11:00am– 4:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm– 10:30pm
*"In Between" menu 4:00pm – 5:00pm on the weekends between Brunch & Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Californian
- Executive Chef: John Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that can seat around 40 guests with the option of adding access to our patio as well.
- Private Party Contact: Matt Detert 510-444-1233
A word from Bocanova
Bocanova, located in Jack London Square, features Pan-American food in a lively and colorful setting. Available for all your dining needs, we offer intimate tables in our dining room, a number of communal dining tables for larger parties or if you're in the mood to meet new people, and counter seating up by our exhibition kitchen, when you're in the mood for a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bocanova reviews from OpenTable diners
291 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (204)fit for foodies (187)scenic view (157)good for groups (124)special occasion (121)great for lunch (96)neighborhood gem (90)great for brunch (74)romantic (59)hot spot (56)vibrant bar scene (51)notable wine list (43)kid-friendly (30)late-night find (19)Show More
- Dinner with New Orleans friendsEastBayOmnivore322Dined on 9/16/2014Friends were visiting from New Orleans and hadn't been to Bocanova, or Jack London Sq. in years, so hubby and I took them here. They're both sailors and liked the view, though it was chilly -- so wimps that we are, we ate dinner inside. Outstanding meal of scallops, ribs and chicken with black rice, plantain fritters and cerviche -- it did not disappoint our foodie friends. Plus, lovely waiter and a fine time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brillliant Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014Loved the wonderful small dishes (sharable by two) at manageable prices. The waiter was charming, knowledgeable, and was never missing when needed, but didn't hover either. Perfect. And the dishes offered truly expert blending of flavors and textures. We're looking forward to going back and exploring the menu further. Lovely place to sit outside near the water at sunset.Special Features:
- tri-tip?BrianDined on 9/14/2014Our one complaint is that the waiter described (a couple times) a tri-tip soup special and what showed up was a tripe soup. My 86 year old mother in law loves tri-tip but hates tripe!Special Features:
- DisappointingBonTonDined on 9/12/2014Have been to Bocanova many times and was very disappointed in the quality of the food served on what was supposed to be a special occasion for a friend. Caesar with egg is not "caesar"; could not taste anchovies --egg dominated. Grilled octopus--swimming in oil, hardly any octopus on the plate bbq ribs were good, not fantastic; menu said was exorbitant charge for bread;ordered it anyway after finally finding the waitress who had disappeared; we were not charged--but it was a turn-off.Special Features:
- Great setting & foodBusinesslunchesVIPDined on 9/12/2014Shared tapas and a carafe, great experience. I hope to return soon.Special Features:
- Definitely Delicious DishesIamBMWDined on 9/11/2014Took a group of ten visitors for a business dinner and elected to eat outside (we were unaware we would have to share benches, which was somewhat difficult). The menu offers an excellent variety of complex flavors, complementing each other while offering taste surprises. Every dish we had (with a group of ten we had A LOT!) was wonderful - attracting "ooohhhhssss" and "aaaaahhhhhssss". After an issue with a wine selection, which was definitely unsatisfactory - the GM brought a fabulous wine that pleased the group. Issue with service - poorly timed delivery of main courses (one of our group had to wait for five minutes for their plate), no secondary drink service offered after initial round - the only complaint was inattentive service.Special Features:
- Very disappointing service.NancyDined on 9/8/2014We have brought two sets of out of town guests here recently. The first time the service was rough, but BN was busy. Monday night, September 8, was not at all busy. Our first server was nice enough but gave perfunctory explanations of dishes. Food service was haphazard. Main courses were brought before the salad. When we asked for two plates (which we had asked for in the order), server just clattered them onto our table. We had to ask twice for bread. We got dessert menus, but had to ask for the dessert! In the end, my husband had to walk around the restaurant to find someone to give us our check. I like this place but don't feel I want to recommend it.Special Features:
- Happy SpiceHavePalateWillTravelDined on 9/5/2014Go for the interesting Central and Sourh American flavors. Fun drinks. Has a "big restaurant" feel but more attractive, comfortable food. This is not a foodie choice, it is a relaxed fun choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food & very good serviceJesseplaceDined on 9/5/2014We've eaten here may times and have never been disappointed. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014We had a group of 7pp and we thought service was slow. We loved the food!Special Features:
- Keeping Jack London Square AliveSecondhalf9Dined on 9/4/2014We had fun at Bocanova. Friendly service, great food, nice outdoor dining area overlooking the boat slips. Inside would be fun in the evening--very large dining room with an interesting layout. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDuckleheadDined on 9/3/2014Duck Carnitas Taco's were amazing, same goes for the crab deviled eggs.Special Features:
- So close to great...but notPaigeVIPDined on 9/1/2014We returned to Bocanova after a long absence; our last brunch visit was so disappointing that we wrote a bad review based on bad service. The manager invited us back on their dime, which I totally appreciated...we have long had Bocanova as our #1 date spot. The food was fantastic as always, but again we waited over 25 minutes for a cocktail to arrive (ordered when we had jicama and didn't arrive until the third wave of food) and felt like the staff was in the weeds the entire time. I think this is a staffing issue - one bartender for a full patio and full bar, plus 10 tables inside is clearly NOT enough. Thanks to Bocanova's generosity, we weren't as disappointed as last time (hard to hate •free•)...but still see service as a BIG problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!pickypalateDined on 8/30/2014From first bite to completion, our evening at Bocanova was perfect. We arrived with a small group of friends and our waitress guided us through the menu impeccably. Cocktails were superb followed by a number of shared plates ... cauliflower, sweet corn, scallops, melt in your mouth rib eye, tasty green peppers, fantastic sweet potatoes, and a watermelon salad that cleansed and refreshed our palates. We loved every plate and every bite. The chocolate bread pudding topped off our feast ... and, can easily be shared. The waitress and staff didn't miss a beat ... suggestions and service were A+. Bocanova provided the backdrop for a wonderful evening ... we will return soon and look forward to another memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014I would recommend this restaurant for quality, ambience and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BocanovaOakosDined on 8/29/2014The food was very good and so was the service. The large windows providing lighting and the generous spacing between the tales made it easy for two of our group's members to navigate unassisted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!GoodVIPDined on 8/26/2014Every time I have been here it has been great food and great service. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Second time's a charm.mbayogiDined on 8/25/2014I went to Bocanova twice in one week for dinner with different sets of coworkers. It's a great place for groups since the plates are designed to be shared. This means the plates are too small for one and you definitely need an appetizer or second entrée to be fully satisfied if you have a large appetite. I haven't tried anything so fast I don't like. There's more than a couple vegetarian options too, though they tend to be under seasoned compared to the meat dishes. The tables on the left side near the bar are busy so make sure to sit on the right of you want to be able to talk easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SumptousBarryDined on 8/22/2014Outstanding blend of flavors and foods. Whould definitely go back anytime.Special Features:
- Exceptional every time!Foodie13Dined on 8/21/2014Lovely evening on the patio, excellent ribs--fall off the bone delicious, corn--that you still think about days later. Bread pudding is a must order so save room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014One of my favorite spots for dinner with friends and business colleagues from Oakland or other spots. The grilled octopus that my dining companion enjoyed and my scallops with Brazilian curry sauce were both outstanding. Enjoyed the summer alternative to my always favorite quinoa salad w. stone fruit. The winter version w. duck confit is still best!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Food was too expensive for the quality and portions. Not coming back .
- PerfectGJice4thecoolDined on 8/16/2014Fresh, well made and tasty food. Service was great. We were outside in the early evening and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchtopsweeperVIPDined on 8/16/2014Four of us went for lunch/bunch on Saturday. Its nice that you have a choice of the lunch or brunch menu. Those stuffed deviled eggs are special!Special Features:
- Truly Remarkable Dining ExperienceCasualFoodieDined on 8/14/2014Bocanova had a wonderful menu full of South American inspired a la carte items. We ordered several dishes and shared them all. Each dish was beautifully prepared and tasted amazing. We dined on the patio and had a front row view of the marina. The inside of the restaurant was tastefully decorated as well. The server was attentive, but not overbearing and happily answered our many questions. I will definitely return when I am in the Oakland area again.Special Features:
- Bocanova small plates are SMALLOakwomanDined on 8/13/2014I love deviled eggs and Bocanova has CRAB deviled eggs. For $10, we got all of 4 halves, each with a half-teaspoon of pinkish cream sauce, which did not taste remotely of crab. We also had the Little Gem caesar salad; $13 got a small salad with very little dressing (hardly any taste of garlic or anchovies). I had the forbidden rice risotto with scallops. I love scallops! What I got was a small bowl of the rice (not bad, but not delicious), GARNISHED with a bay scallop (the small kind) cut into 4 tiny pieces. The mushroom escabeche was tasty, though tiny. The other dishes were just okay. Beautiful location, and I hear the drinks are good, but don't expect too much from the over-priced food.Special Features:
- TerrificTheMavenDined on 8/13/2014I've been several times. The food is generally very good although a couple of dishes disappointed - bt then the others more than made up for it. Don't miss the crab deviled eggs.Special Features:
- First time, GreatGaryVIPDined on 8/10/2014We heard about it in VIA mag, 8 of us for Sunday dinner. Great service, food and atmosphere. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- noisy but great foodVC99Dined on 8/9/2014We've never been disappointed in the food or the service when we've been here. We always find new dishes - some are just very good but there are always some that are truly outstanding. The service is great - seamless coordination between our server and the other staff to make sure we always had what we needed. The only drawback is the noise level which can be high when the place is packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pH123VIPDined on 8/9/2014excellent food based on eclectic mixture of LatinAmerican small plates. Big plates too are very good. Wine and bar drinks list is also good and varied. A glitch prevented our order from going through. To compensate and while we waited for our original order, they brought out several small plates. We ate everything, including what we had ordered. All was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!WendyDined on 8/9/2014Terrific and thoughtful menu! The handcrafted dishes are engaging and plating is impeccable. We had the special appetizer which was a soft shell crab in a light tempura batter with fried okra that was delicate and flavorful. Next came padron peppers which were super fresh and sauteed perfectly. I love the flakes of salt on top for extra crunch. My husband did get a super spicy one but that usually happens. The entree courses were next and we ordered the diver scallops and they were seriously caramelized so perfectly and silky inside. The only criticism for the vegetable pot pie was that it was just hard to eat and a bit of a soupy texture. We finished with the warm chocolate croissant pudding which is my favorite. I could eat two!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bueno BocanovaLPitmanDined on 8/9/2014Always so much fun to go with a group to Bocanova -- you get to taste a little of everything. We had six people. The octopus was to die for -- it might be my new favorite. The scallops (both dishes) were wonderful. So were the ribs, the corn, the flash-fried peppers, the heirloom tomatoes, the jicama, the chiles rellenos. But the bread pudding dessert with Mexican chocolate ice cream has got to be the most decadent food I ever tasted. Golly. It deserves a review all its own. Can't wait for Jack's Oyster Bar to open next door. It's Bocanova's new sister restaurant. Soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mix and MatchAnonymousDined on 8/9/2014Adventuresome menu. Not ideal for conservative eaters, although the menu could accommodate them. Small plates, so you need to put together your meal and do some sharing. Two in our party just relied on a salad dish and it wasn't very satisying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot Near WaterfrontOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Had a lovely dinner on the waterfront. Outdoor seating has effective heat lamps so even nighttime breeziness did not hamper outdoor dining. Food is sauced in creative and fresh ways without going too far. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- BocanovaCartersVIPDined on 8/7/2014Great place to go and fee special. Wait staff is knowledgable and does an excellent job of guiding you through the menu. For groups or just a romantic dinner for two this is your place.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicedijoedDined on 8/5/2014Celebrated my birthday here. Enjoyed the small plates and innovative offerings. Would like to return and try more of the interesting and creative cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo BocanovaHillfolksDined on 8/2/2014Over the last 4 years I've been to Bocanova many times. I've never had a bad meal or bad service, instead I've always had a great experience at all levels of food, drinks, service and ambiance. I can unequivically recommend this wonderful restaurant for any meal and any occasion. Their new seafood raw bar place nextdoor, Jack's, is excellent as well.Special Features:
- Restaurant experiencen2foodDined on 8/2/2014Viewed restaurant menu on line, couple of the items I liked we're not on the menu at the restaurant, had the black rice risotto with scallop snd received 3 small pieces of scallops in the dish.the quinoa salad was good, the cheese cake was good , my partner had the pork ribs said it was good
- Fabulous diningnealisa93Dined on 8/2/2014We were here to celebrate our son and daughter-in-law's wedding anniversary. Devon, our waiter, couldn't have been cuter and very informative of the specials. The scallop ceviche was beyond delicious and so was the deep fried cauliflower, salmon and monkfish. Loved the entire experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Great spot for a cocktail and a nibble after returning from Angel Island on the ferry. Fun vibe and excellent food.