55 Webster Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bocanova.com/
- Phone: (510) 444-1233
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Bocaditos 11:00am – 4:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Monday - Wednesday
Lunch 11:30am – 3:00pm | Happy Hour 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Thursday - Friday
Lunch 11:30am – 3:00pm | Happy Hour 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 10:30pm
Brunch Bocaditos 11:00am– 4:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm– 10:30pm
*"In Between" menu 4:00pm – 5:00pm on the weekends between Brunch & Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Californian
- Executive Chef: John Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that can seat around 40 guests with the option of adding access to our patio as well.
- Private Party Contact: Matt Detert 510-444-1233
A word from Bocanova
Bocanova, located in Jack London Square, features Pan-American food in a lively and colorful setting. Available for all your dining needs, we offer intimate tables in our dining room, a number of communal dining tables for larger parties or if you're in the mood to meet new people, and counter seating up by our exhibition kitchen, when you're in the mood for a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bocanova reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (143)fit for foodies (140)good for groups (112)scenic view (106)special occasion (83)great for lunch (68)neighborhood gem (66)great for brunch (48)hot spot (46)romantic (45)vibrant bar scene (40)notable wine list (35)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (12)Show More
- Great for Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/24/2014They are very tapas (small plate) oriented, so if you want to meet friend(s) for cocktail/wine and share small plates...this is a great spot. That and being at Jack London Square makes it convenient to downtown Oakland...and after work get-togethers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & servicepH123VIPDined on 11/18/2014Foods and service remain good - now at my 6th visit in 5 monthsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLindaDined on 11/16/2014Great food, great drinks, great service, will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Latin fusion foodmarkoVIPDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant does latin american fusion food very well. They have great vegetarian dishes as well. It has some Peruvian influence, I think. Great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at BocanovaSavarinDined on 11/15/2014The place to be for day would be on the deck. Less reverberation and being on the water with view would have been great. Inside less so. Serving portions large & good at first d begin to overwhelm and seem a bit greasy after time. Martini' a bit less than optimal strength. Everyone helpful and we would have waited for an outside seating as offered but we were late due to an error that should be addressed by Bocanova. We used MapQuest and used 55 Webster Street as destination as it's their address, When we called the restaurant from Alameda to say we'd be late they advised us that you have to use 100 Webster instead of 55 Webster or you're whisked into Posey tube as we were. For people not familiar with the area it's easy to get stuck & end up in Alameda.Special Features:
- GeorgeDined on 11/12/2014It is very unusual to have 7 of 8 dishes near the top and 1 at least good. Attentive staff but not overbearing. Boca Nova is maintaining its style and quality in its sixth year. We don't go out often, but we've always enjoyed Boca Nova when we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014Most places come with side dishes, Bocanova not so much. I ordered the pork ribs and received 6 lbs of meat. No sides, who does that?
- On the waterfrontLeslieDined on 11/9/2014best of the Jack London Waterfront dining options. The outside deck and view has no peers. Food can be spectacular to okay. Best to order sharing dishes. You cannot reserve a table on deck, so you may wait. Happy hour has great deals and may be best option, but hard to find a. Better brunch or lunch location.Special Features:
- Brunch spotporkerDined on 11/9/2014Great spot to enjoy brunch overlooking the marina.
- Worthy biteCarlarocksDined on 11/8/2014Bocanova has several plates that impress. From the dungeness crab deviled eggs to the flavor-rich skirt steak the menu lived up to expectations. I thought the pear tart was particularly inspired. A bit pricey if you're trying out every course, but ample portions and vibrant seasoning choices will make you forget the cost and celebrate why you came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been better.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014We have had our group here in the past and enjoyed the food and service. However, this time, something was wrong with our initial waiter in that when we finally waved him down, we ordered drinks which never arrived. Finally another person came to us and asked if we had received our drinks and promptly brought them to us. Then she took our orders. One order was wrong, but was immediately retaken - no problem. Half of our 6 people liked their meal, the other half just said it was okay. My scones were undone in the middle, but I ate them. Otherwise, it was a nice experience. The setting is wonderful, but we noticed that several of the other restaurants along the waterfront were packed with people, while this one was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Been here a few times and have not been disappointed by food quality nor service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Time Hereluv2eatoutDined on 11/3/2014This was the second time I had eaten at this restaurant. I booked the reservation for a business dinner with three colleagues. The entire dinner was great from appetizers through to coffee. One of the guys in our group knew the owner, so he came over and said Hi to us while we were there. It was a very nice meal.Special Features:
- Boca Nova ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The food was great, service was really good and friendly. My friend and I consider ourselves to be gourmands and our palette's were satisfied. The bread pudding is an all-time favorite dessert that should not be missed!Special Features:
- Who me?BabygirlDined on 10/31/2014Attended the Halloween Party with a friend. Right from the beginning it felt like we were unwelcome guest. The 2 people at the opposite end of our table they served them then proceeded to serve everyone but us. We had to asked to be served. The maître D when he finally visited ours he asked was there anything we needed we told him. He said he take care talk to his staff. Which he didn't bc he went back to socializing with the other table.We asked our server and again were ignored. Judging the contest employees were included there was about only 50 people the judge didn't even bother to look in our directions. It would have been nice to be included. I was embarrassed this was my friends first time there and I had raved about the place.Special Features:
- Love this place.OakWorkersDined on 10/28/2014We love Bocanova - brought a group to celebrate a birthday. Their ceviche is always a favorite. The chocolate bread pudding was over the moon good. Everyone except our waitress was excellent - maybe she was having a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014First time to Bocanova, different takes on South American/American dishes. Excellent service from Miles. My girlfriend is allergic to coconut, so we asked about a ceviche on the menu. Miles told us it did not have coconut in it, so we ordered it. A few minutes later, after taking a bite or two, he came out and told us that the dish was prepared in the same area the coconut dish was. This was truly appreciated by us, he took this dish off the bill and recommended another option, which was actually better tasting!Special Features:
- A great Jack London optionKatieDined on 10/25/2014Bocanova remains a great place for a special dinner - the interiors are warm and open; the small plate menu is well prepared and interesting, even for vegetarians. The service was impeccable. Dining outdoors on the patio, which looks out onto the water, is an option. Look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Tasty but needs more veg foodsOkieintheODined on 10/24/2014I've been to Bocanova a few times and always enjoyed. The outdoor seating is something I want to try still Was too full on a Friday at 1pm to get an outside even though I had a reservation (that was not specifically for outside though). The food is fresh and tasty. I was disappointed they took the juarache off the menu. I wish they had more veg foor friendly options. This is California, and Oakland, ya know? I am vegan and I only had a couple salad options and appetizers. Jicama appetizer was tasty so was the beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Never disappointed when dining at Bocanova! Rick and Meredith and their crew are wonderful!Special Features:
- Service Needs TweakingJuror17VIPDined on 10/18/2014Bocanova is in a great location and I'd give the food a B+. The salted peppers are perfect with cocktails, and my ribs had a delectable spicy guava sauce that made me want to lick my fingers. However, pacing is off. Our drinks didn't arrive for 25 minutes and the appetizers arrived before we were served anything to drink. My cocktail was not what I'd ordered, although the waiter apologized and brought me a second drink. My friend's posole had great flavor, but was only lukewarm, as if it had been sitting too long. The waiter didn't bring our wine orders until we were 2/3 of the way through the entrees and we asked 2 busboys to locate him. We suspect he simply forgot us.The lackadaisical approach to service was a turn off.Special Features:
- Consistently great foodUkaricanFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Brought 4 out of town guests for dinner; as usual the seasonal changes were great. Ceviche with steelhead trout a great surprise. Octopus main course very nice. The only disappointment: a side delivered well after main courses didn't get eaten and there was no offer to make it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boca - nirvana!catsmeowDined on 10/17/2014The menu can satisfy any & all food preferences/needs - and they do it superbly. Be it vegan, gluten free, omnivore - all simply delicious & creative in a beautiful, warm modern setting with friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bocanovaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014The good was great as usual. The service was just okay, our server was more attentive to other diners, and did not check out us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JessicaDined on 10/13/2014We hosted a family birthday party and enjoyed Bocanova thoroughly. Everything was wonderful, especially the quinoa salad and the lamb. We will return there. PaulSpecial Features:
- Great small plates, nice atmospheregogirl1213VIPDined on 10/12/2014Bocanova surprised me with a sophisticated interior and inventive small plates (plus many entrees, but I didn't order one so it would be hard to comment). Service was a little stiff /forced but otherwise very pleasant overall!Special Features:
- Liked it!JillWDined on 10/11/2014This was a first time for us and really liked everything! The fish tacos were excellent, the roasted beat salad and grilled octopus was fabulous, the wine was great! Our waiter was friendly, but service was so-so. Still, I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, food not as goodEwokinOaktownDined on 10/10/2014We've eaten at Bocanova many times, this is the first time I thought the food was just okay. Service, drinks and atmosphere are still greatSpecial Features:
- Better menu and foodBillTVIPDined on 10/5/2014I had eaten at Bocanova many times when they first opened, and then stopped going back because I though the menu was expensive and the food wasn't that great. I heard they had changed chefs, and it shows - the men in interesting, and our party of 6 all had good meals. My steak was fantastic. Recommended since Jack London Square is happening, and they have great outdoor seating with views of the harbor.Special Features:
- goodkate21Dined on 10/2/2014should have more tapas, desserts, non alccoholic beverages, breakfast food, musicSpecial Features:
- Not what it used to beSorryToSayDined on 9/30/2014Food was cold, took forever and then all came at once. The halibut tasted old, Caesar salad and chile relleno were bland, and other dishes were just over sauced. View is still great but we won't return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/29/2014This place is a consistently fantastic! The ambiance, food, service, and cocktails are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our waiter gave good adviceoutandaboutDined on 9/24/2014Four of us for dinner. Started out with the padrón peppers, which everyone loved. Shared several plates including the stuffed plátanos, the octopus, spare ribs, heirloom tomato salad, beets with goat cheese, and chili relleno. On Wednesday, wine by the bottle is half off, so we split a red between three of us. We sampled three desserts and all agreed the crème fraîche cheesecake took the prize. Our guests loved the food, which made us happy, because we do too. Has an outside deck with heaters if you prefer alfresco. Bocanova has a large dining room and seems able to accommodate drop-ins. Minuses are noise level and low height of the banquettes relative to the tables. Service can be uneven, but on Wednesday our waiter was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative menu & well executedLetsEatDined on 9/18/2014due to construction/set up outside it was a bit loud, otherwise a good experienceSpecial Features:
- Dinner with New Orleans friendsEastBayOmnivore322Dined on 9/16/2014Friends were visiting from New Orleans and hadn't been to Bocanova, or Jack London Sq. in years, so hubby and I took them here. They're both sailors and liked the view, though it was chilly -- so wimps that we are, we ate dinner inside. Outstanding meal of scallops, ribs and chicken with black rice, plantain fritters and cerviche -- it did not disappoint our foodie friends. Plus, lovely waiter and a fine time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brillliant Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014Loved the wonderful small dishes (sharable by two) at manageable prices. The waiter was charming, knowledgeable, and was never missing when needed, but didn't hover either. Perfect. And the dishes offered truly expert blending of flavors and textures. We're looking forward to going back and exploring the menu further. Lovely place to sit outside near the water at sunset.Special Features:
- tri-tip?BrianDined on 9/14/2014Our one complaint is that the waiter described (a couple times) a tri-tip soup special and what showed up was a tripe soup. My 86 year old mother in law loves tri-tip but hates tripe!Special Features:
- DisappointingBonTonVIPDined on 9/12/2014Have been to Bocanova many times and was very disappointed in the quality of the food served on what was supposed to be a special occasion for a friend. Caesar with egg is not "caesar"; could not taste anchovies --egg dominated. Grilled octopus--swimming in oil, hardly any octopus on the plate bbq ribs were good, not fantastic; menu said was exorbitant charge for bread;ordered it anyway after finally finding the waitress who had disappeared; we were not charged--but it was a turn-off.Special Features:
- Great setting & foodBusinesslunchesVIPDined on 9/12/2014Shared tapas and a carafe, great experience. I hope to return soon.Special Features:
- Definitely Delicious DishesIamBMWVIPDined on 9/11/2014Took a group of ten visitors for a business dinner and elected to eat outside (we were unaware we would have to share benches, which was somewhat difficult). The menu offers an excellent variety of complex flavors, complementing each other while offering taste surprises. Every dish we had (with a group of ten we had A LOT!) was wonderful - attracting "ooohhhhssss" and "aaaaahhhhhssss". After an issue with a wine selection, which was definitely unsatisfactory - the GM brought a fabulous wine that pleased the group. Issue with service - poorly timed delivery of main courses (one of our group had to wait for five minutes for their plate), no secondary drink service offered after initial round - the only complaint was inattentive service.Special Features: