55 Webster Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bocanova.com/
- Phone: 510-444-1233
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Bocaditos 11:00am – 4:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Monday - Wednesday
Lunch 11:30am – 3:00pm | Happy Hour 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Thursday - Friday
Lunch 11:30am – 3:00pm | Happy Hour 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 10:30pm
Brunch Bocaditos 11:00am– 4:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm– 10:30pm
*"In Between" menu 4:00pm – 5:00pm on the weekends between Brunch & Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Californian
- Executive Chef: John Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that can seat around 40 guests with the option of adding access to our patio as well.
- Private Party Contact: Matt Detert 510-444-1233
A word from Bocanova
Bocanova, located in Jack London Square, features Pan-American food in a lively and colorful setting. Available for all your dining needs, we offer intimate tables in our dining room, a number of communal dining tables for larger parties or if you're in the mood to meet new people, and counter seating up by our exhibition kitchen, when you're in the mood for a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bocanova reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (174)fit for foodies (154)scenic view (128)good for groups (117)special occasion (96)great for lunch (80)neighborhood gem (73)great for brunch (63)hot spot (54)romantic (52)vibrant bar scene (46)notable wine list (38)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (14)Show More
- Love this place.OakWorkersDined on 10/28/2014We love Bocanova - brought a group to celebrate a birthday. Their ceviche is always a favorite. The chocolate bread pudding was over the moon good. Everyone except our waitress was excellent - maybe she was having a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014First time to Bocanova, different takes on South American/American dishes. Excellent service from Miles. My girlfriend is allergic to coconut, so we asked about a ceviche on the menu. Miles told us it did not have coconut in it, so we ordered it. A few minutes later, after taking a bite or two, he came out and told us that the dish was prepared in the same area the coconut dish was. This was truly appreciated by us, he took this dish off the bill and recommended another option, which was actually better tasting!Special Features:
- A great Jack London optionKatieDined on 10/25/2014Bocanova remains a great place for a special dinner - the interiors are warm and open; the small plate menu is well prepared and interesting, even for vegetarians. The service was impeccable. Dining outdoors on the patio, which looks out onto the water, is an option. Look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Tasty but needs more veg foodsOkieintheODined on 10/24/2014I've been to Bocanova a few times and always enjoyed. The outdoor seating is something I want to try still Was too full on a Friday at 1pm to get an outside even though I had a reservation (that was not specifically for outside though). The food is fresh and tasty. I was disappointed they took the juarache off the menu. I wish they had more veg foor friendly options. This is California, and Oakland, ya know? I am vegan and I only had a couple salad options and appetizers. Jicama appetizer was tasty so was the beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Never disappointed when dining at Bocanova! Rick and Meredith and their crew are wonderful!Special Features:
- Service Needs TweakingJuror17Dined on 10/18/2014Bocanova is in a great location and I'd give the food a B+. The salted peppers are perfect with cocktails, and my ribs had a delectable spicy guava sauce that made me want to lick my fingers. However, pacing is off. Our drinks didn't arrive for 25 minutes and the appetizers arrived before we were served anything to drink. My cocktail was not what I'd ordered, although the waiter apologized and brought me a second drink. My friend's posole had great flavor, but was only lukewarm, as if it had been sitting too long. The waiter didn't bring our wine orders until we were 2/3 of the way through the entrees and we asked 2 busboys to locate him. We suspect he simply forgot us.The lackadaisical approach to service was a turn off.Special Features:
- Consistently great foodUkaricanFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Brought 4 out of town guests for dinner; as usual the seasonal changes were great. Ceviche with steelhead trout a great surprise. Octopus main course very nice. The only disappointment: a side delivered well after main courses didn't get eaten and there was no offer to make it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boca - nirvana!catsmeowDined on 10/17/2014The menu can satisfy any & all food preferences/needs - and they do it superbly. Be it vegan, gluten free, omnivore - all simply delicious & creative in a beautiful, warm modern setting with friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bocanovaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014The good was great as usual. The service was just okay, our server was more attentive to other diners, and did not check out us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JessicaDined on 10/13/2014We hosted a family birthday party and enjoyed Bocanova thoroughly. Everything was wonderful, especially the quinoa salad and the lamb. We will return there. PaulSpecial Features:
- Great small plates, nice atmospheregogirl1213VIPDined on 10/12/2014Bocanova surprised me with a sophisticated interior and inventive small plates (plus many entrees, but I didn't order one so it would be hard to comment). Service was a little stiff /forced but otherwise very pleasant overall!Special Features:
- Liked it!JillWDined on 10/11/2014This was a first time for us and really liked everything! The fish tacos were excellent, the roasted beat salad and grilled octopus was fabulous, the wine was great! Our waiter was friendly, but service was so-so. Still, I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, food not as goodEwokinOaktownDined on 10/10/2014We've eaten at Bocanova many times, this is the first time I thought the food was just okay. Service, drinks and atmosphere are still greatSpecial Features:
- Better menu and foodBillTVIPDined on 10/5/2014I had eaten at Bocanova many times when they first opened, and then stopped going back because I though the menu was expensive and the food wasn't that great. I heard they had changed chefs, and it shows - the men in interesting, and our party of 6 all had good meals. My steak was fantastic. Recommended since Jack London Square is happening, and they have great outdoor seating with views of the harbor.Special Features:
- goodkate21Dined on 10/2/2014should have more tapas, desserts, non alccoholic beverages, breakfast food, musicSpecial Features:
- Not what it used to beSorryToSayDined on 9/30/2014Food was cold, took forever and then all came at once. The halibut tasted old, Caesar salad and chile relleno were bland, and other dishes were just over sauced. View is still great but we won't return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/29/2014This place is a consistently fantastic! The ambiance, food, service, and cocktails are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our waiter gave good adviceoutandaboutDined on 9/24/2014Four of us for dinner. Started out with the padrón peppers, which everyone loved. Shared several plates including the stuffed plátanos, the octopus, spare ribs, heirloom tomato salad, beets with goat cheese, and chili relleno. On Wednesday, wine by the bottle is half off, so we split a red between three of us. We sampled three desserts and all agreed the crème fraîche cheesecake took the prize. Our guests loved the food, which made us happy, because we do too. Has an outside deck with heaters if you prefer alfresco. Bocanova has a large dining room and seems able to accommodate drop-ins. Minuses are noise level and low height of the banquettes relative to the tables. Service can be uneven, but on Wednesday our waiter was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative menu & well executedLetsEatDined on 9/18/2014due to construction/set up outside it was a bit loud, otherwise a good experienceSpecial Features:
- Dinner with New Orleans friendsEastBayOmnivore322Dined on 9/16/2014Friends were visiting from New Orleans and hadn't been to Bocanova, or Jack London Sq. in years, so hubby and I took them here. They're both sailors and liked the view, though it was chilly -- so wimps that we are, we ate dinner inside. Outstanding meal of scallops, ribs and chicken with black rice, plantain fritters and cerviche -- it did not disappoint our foodie friends. Plus, lovely waiter and a fine time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brillliant Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014Loved the wonderful small dishes (sharable by two) at manageable prices. The waiter was charming, knowledgeable, and was never missing when needed, but didn't hover either. Perfect. And the dishes offered truly expert blending of flavors and textures. We're looking forward to going back and exploring the menu further. Lovely place to sit outside near the water at sunset.Special Features:
- tri-tip?BrianDined on 9/14/2014Our one complaint is that the waiter described (a couple times) a tri-tip soup special and what showed up was a tripe soup. My 86 year old mother in law loves tri-tip but hates tripe!Special Features:
- DisappointingBonTonDined on 9/12/2014Have been to Bocanova many times and was very disappointed in the quality of the food served on what was supposed to be a special occasion for a friend. Caesar with egg is not "caesar"; could not taste anchovies --egg dominated. Grilled octopus--swimming in oil, hardly any octopus on the plate bbq ribs were good, not fantastic; menu said was exorbitant charge for bread;ordered it anyway after finally finding the waitress who had disappeared; we were not charged--but it was a turn-off.Special Features:
- Great setting & foodBusinesslunchesVIPDined on 9/12/2014Shared tapas and a carafe, great experience. I hope to return soon.Special Features:
- Definitely Delicious DishesIamBMWVIPDined on 9/11/2014Took a group of ten visitors for a business dinner and elected to eat outside (we were unaware we would have to share benches, which was somewhat difficult). The menu offers an excellent variety of complex flavors, complementing each other while offering taste surprises. Every dish we had (with a group of ten we had A LOT!) was wonderful - attracting "ooohhhhssss" and "aaaaahhhhhssss". After an issue with a wine selection, which was definitely unsatisfactory - the GM brought a fabulous wine that pleased the group. Issue with service - poorly timed delivery of main courses (one of our group had to wait for five minutes for their plate), no secondary drink service offered after initial round - the only complaint was inattentive service.Special Features:
- Very disappointing service.NancyDined on 9/8/2014We have brought two sets of out of town guests here recently. The first time the service was rough, but BN was busy. Monday night, September 8, was not at all busy. Our first server was nice enough but gave perfunctory explanations of dishes. Food service was haphazard. Main courses were brought before the salad. When we asked for two plates (which we had asked for in the order), server just clattered them onto our table. We had to ask twice for bread. We got dessert menus, but had to ask for the dessert! In the end, my husband had to walk around the restaurant to find someone to give us our check. I like this place but don't feel I want to recommend it.Special Features:
- Happy SpiceHavePalateWillTravelDined on 9/5/2014Go for the interesting Central and Sourh American flavors. Fun drinks. Has a "big restaurant" feel but more attractive, comfortable food. This is not a foodie choice, it is a relaxed fun choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food & very good serviceJesseplaceDined on 9/5/2014We've eaten here may times and have never been disappointed. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014We had a group of 7pp and we thought service was slow. We loved the food!Special Features:
- Keeping Jack London Square AliveSecondhalf9Dined on 9/4/2014We had fun at Bocanova. Friendly service, great food, nice outdoor dining area overlooking the boat slips. Inside would be fun in the evening--very large dining room with an interesting layout. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDuckleheadDined on 9/3/2014Duck Carnitas Taco's were amazing, same goes for the crab deviled eggs.Special Features:
- So close to great...but notPaigeVIPDined on 9/1/2014We returned to Bocanova after a long absence; our last brunch visit was so disappointing that we wrote a bad review based on bad service. The manager invited us back on their dime, which I totally appreciated...we have long had Bocanova as our #1 date spot. The food was fantastic as always, but again we waited over 25 minutes for a cocktail to arrive (ordered when we had jicama and didn't arrive until the third wave of food) and felt like the staff was in the weeds the entire time. I think this is a staffing issue - one bartender for a full patio and full bar, plus 10 tables inside is clearly NOT enough. Thanks to Bocanova's generosity, we weren't as disappointed as last time (hard to hate •free•)...but still see service as a BIG problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!pickypalateDined on 8/30/2014From first bite to completion, our evening at Bocanova was perfect. We arrived with a small group of friends and our waitress guided us through the menu impeccably. Cocktails were superb followed by a number of shared plates ... cauliflower, sweet corn, scallops, melt in your mouth rib eye, tasty green peppers, fantastic sweet potatoes, and a watermelon salad that cleansed and refreshed our palates. We loved every plate and every bite. The chocolate bread pudding topped off our feast ... and, can easily be shared. The waitress and staff didn't miss a beat ... suggestions and service were A+. Bocanova provided the backdrop for a wonderful evening ... we will return soon and look forward to another memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLunchbunchDined on 8/29/2014I would recommend this restaurant for quality, ambience and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BocanovaOakosDined on 8/29/2014The food was very good and so was the service. The large windows providing lighting and the generous spacing between the tales made it easy for two of our group's members to navigate unassisted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!GoodVIPDined on 8/26/2014Every time I have been here it has been great food and great service. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Second time's a charm.mbayogiDined on 8/25/2014I went to Bocanova twice in one week for dinner with different sets of coworkers. It's a great place for groups since the plates are designed to be shared. This means the plates are too small for one and you definitely need an appetizer or second entrée to be fully satisfied if you have a large appetite. I haven't tried anything so fast I don't like. There's more than a couple vegetarian options too, though they tend to be under seasoned compared to the meat dishes. The tables on the left side near the bar are busy so make sure to sit on the right of you want to be able to talk easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SumptousBarryDined on 8/22/2014Outstanding blend of flavors and foods. Whould definitely go back anytime.Special Features:
- Exceptional every time!Foodie13Dined on 8/21/2014Lovely evening on the patio, excellent ribs--fall off the bone delicious, corn--that you still think about days later. Bread pudding is a must order so save room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014One of my favorite spots for dinner with friends and business colleagues from Oakland or other spots. The grilled octopus that my dining companion enjoyed and my scallops with Brazilian curry sauce were both outstanding. Enjoyed the summer alternative to my always favorite quinoa salad w. stone fruit. The winter version w. duck confit is still best!Special Features: