55 Webster Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bocanova.com/
- Phone: 510-444-1233
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Bocaditos 11:00am – 4:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Monday - Wednesday
Lunch 11:30am – 3:00pm | Happy Hour 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Thursday - Friday
Lunch 11:30am – 3:00pm | Happy Hour 3:00pm – 6:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm – 10:30pm
Brunch Bocaditos 11:00am– 4:00pm | Dinner 5:00pm– 10:30pm
*"In Between" menu 4:00pm – 5:00pm on the weekends between Brunch & Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Californian
- Executive Chef: John Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that can seat around 40 guests with the option of adding access to our patio as well.
- Private Party Contact: Matt Detert 510-444-1233
A word from Bocanova
Bocanova, located in Jack London Square, features Pan-American food in a lively and colorful setting. Available for all your dining needs, we offer intimate tables in our dining room, a number of communal dining tables for larger parties or if you're in the mood to meet new people, and counter seating up by our exhibition kitchen, when you're in the mood for a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bocanova - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Bocanova reviews from OpenTable diners
331 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (223)fit for foodies (209)scenic view (176)special occasion (147)good for groups (137)great for lunch (118)neighborhood gem (104)great for brunch (95)romantic (75)hot spot (63)vibrant bar scene (63)notable wine list (58)kid-friendly (30)late-night find (21)Show More
- GREAT!GoodVIPDined on 8/26/2014Every time I have been here it has been great food and great service. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Second time's a charm.mbayogiDined on 8/25/2014I went to Bocanova twice in one week for dinner with different sets of coworkers. It's a great place for groups since the plates are designed to be shared. This means the plates are too small for one and you definitely need an appetizer or second entrée to be fully satisfied if you have a large appetite. I haven't tried anything so fast I don't like. There's more than a couple vegetarian options too, though they tend to be under seasoned compared to the meat dishes. The tables on the left side near the bar are busy so make sure to sit on the right of you want to be able to talk easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SumptousBarryDined on 8/22/2014Outstanding blend of flavors and foods. Whould definitely go back anytime.Special Features:
- Exceptional every time!Foodie13Dined on 8/21/2014Lovely evening on the patio, excellent ribs--fall off the bone delicious, corn--that you still think about days later. Bread pudding is a must order so save room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014One of my favorite spots for dinner with friends and business colleagues from Oakland or other spots. The grilled octopus that my dining companion enjoyed and my scallops with Brazilian curry sauce were both outstanding. Enjoyed the summer alternative to my always favorite quinoa salad w. stone fruit. The winter version w. duck confit is still best!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Food was too expensive for the quality and portions. Not coming back .
- PerfectGJice4thecoolDined on 8/16/2014Fresh, well made and tasty food. Service was great. We were outside in the early evening and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchtopsweeperVIPDined on 8/16/2014Four of us went for lunch/bunch on Saturday. Its nice that you have a choice of the lunch or brunch menu. Those stuffed deviled eggs are special!Special Features:
- Truly Remarkable Dining ExperienceCasualFoodieDined on 8/14/2014Bocanova had a wonderful menu full of South American inspired a la carte items. We ordered several dishes and shared them all. Each dish was beautifully prepared and tasted amazing. We dined on the patio and had a front row view of the marina. The inside of the restaurant was tastefully decorated as well. The server was attentive, but not overbearing and happily answered our many questions. I will definitely return when I am in the Oakland area again.Special Features:
- Bocanova small plates are SMALLOakwomanDined on 8/13/2014I love deviled eggs and Bocanova has CRAB deviled eggs. For $10, we got all of 4 halves, each with a half-teaspoon of pinkish cream sauce, which did not taste remotely of crab. We also had the Little Gem caesar salad; $13 got a small salad with very little dressing (hardly any taste of garlic or anchovies). I had the forbidden rice risotto with scallops. I love scallops! What I got was a small bowl of the rice (not bad, but not delicious), GARNISHED with a bay scallop (the small kind) cut into 4 tiny pieces. The mushroom escabeche was tasty, though tiny. The other dishes were just okay. Beautiful location, and I hear the drinks are good, but don't expect too much from the over-priced food.Special Features:
- TerrificTheMavenDined on 8/13/2014I've been several times. The food is generally very good although a couple of dishes disappointed - bt then the others more than made up for it. Don't miss the crab deviled eggs.Special Features:
- First time, GreatGaryVIPDined on 8/10/2014We heard about it in VIA mag, 8 of us for Sunday dinner. Great service, food and atmosphere. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- noisy but great foodVC99Dined on 8/9/2014We've never been disappointed in the food or the service when we've been here. We always find new dishes - some are just very good but there are always some that are truly outstanding. The service is great - seamless coordination between our server and the other staff to make sure we always had what we needed. The only drawback is the noise level which can be high when the place is packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pH123VIPDined on 8/9/2014excellent food based on eclectic mixture of LatinAmerican small plates. Big plates too are very good. Wine and bar drinks list is also good and varied. A glitch prevented our order from going through. To compensate and while we waited for our original order, they brought out several small plates. We ate everything, including what we had ordered. All was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!WendyDined on 8/9/2014Terrific and thoughtful menu! The handcrafted dishes are engaging and plating is impeccable. We had the special appetizer which was a soft shell crab in a light tempura batter with fried okra that was delicate and flavorful. Next came padron peppers which were super fresh and sauteed perfectly. I love the flakes of salt on top for extra crunch. My husband did get a super spicy one but that usually happens. The entree courses were next and we ordered the diver scallops and they were seriously caramelized so perfectly and silky inside. The only criticism for the vegetable pot pie was that it was just hard to eat and a bit of a soupy texture. We finished with the warm chocolate croissant pudding which is my favorite. I could eat two!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bueno BocanovaLPitmanDined on 8/9/2014Always so much fun to go with a group to Bocanova -- you get to taste a little of everything. We had six people. The octopus was to die for -- it might be my new favorite. The scallops (both dishes) were wonderful. So were the ribs, the corn, the flash-fried peppers, the heirloom tomatoes, the jicama, the chiles rellenos. But the bread pudding dessert with Mexican chocolate ice cream has got to be the most decadent food I ever tasted. Golly. It deserves a review all its own. Can't wait for Jack's Oyster Bar to open next door. It's Bocanova's new sister restaurant. Soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mix and MatchAnonymousDined on 8/9/2014Adventuresome menu. Not ideal for conservative eaters, although the menu could accommodate them. Small plates, so you need to put together your meal and do some sharing. Two in our party just relied on a salad dish and it wasn't very satisying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot Near WaterfrontOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Had a lovely dinner on the waterfront. Outdoor seating has effective heat lamps so even nighttime breeziness did not hamper outdoor dining. Food is sauced in creative and fresh ways without going too far. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- BocanovaCartersVIPDined on 8/7/2014Great place to go and fee special. Wait staff is knowledgable and does an excellent job of guiding you through the menu. For groups or just a romantic dinner for two this is your place.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicedijoedDined on 8/5/2014Celebrated my birthday here. Enjoyed the small plates and innovative offerings. Would like to return and try more of the interesting and creative cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant experiencen2foodDined on 8/2/2014Viewed restaurant menu on line, couple of the items I liked we're not on the menu at the restaurant, had the black rice risotto with scallop snd received 3 small pieces of scallops in the dish.the quinoa salad was good, the cheese cake was good , my partner had the pork ribs said it was good
- Fabulous diningnealisa93Dined on 8/2/2014We were here to celebrate our son and daughter-in-law's wedding anniversary. Devon, our waiter, couldn't have been cuter and very informative of the specials. The scallop ceviche was beyond delicious and so was the deep fried cauliflower, salmon and monkfish. Loved the entire experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Great spot for a cocktail and a nibble after returning from Angel Island on the ferry. Fun vibe and excellent food.
- Friendly Staff and Good FoodbetseyaDined on 8/1/2014Bocanova is one of those restaurants that really has "dining" right. They certainly make you feel as though their main purpose is that you have a good evening. And the food is delicious. One of our party has a variety of food "issues." The waiter was knowledgeable about the preparation of each of the dishes, so that she could determine whether or not it met her criteria. They were able to accommodate her needs with minor preparation changes. And seemed to do so willingly. My husband and I eat everything and were very happy with our braised lamb, vegetarian pot pie and cauliflower. (The fried cauliflower is really good, by the way!) I can highly recommend Bocanova for a good evening, and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsLuvyurpatioDined on 7/31/2014I have been dining at Bocanova since it opened and I have never been disappointed. When I was working in the Bay Area Ialways took my staff here for a special occasion lunch or dinner. I have recommended it to family and friends who live in the Bay Area ; and it has become one of their favorite restaurants. Last Thursday I had one of the best meals ever- the food, wine, service and ambiance sitting in the patio was just delightful. I am a customer for life.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014The food at Bocanova is exceptional. The outdoor patio is very nice. If you are seated inside, it is very loud and difficult to hear the others at your table; so this is not the best place if you want to have great conversations. The dishes are tapas style, so they do not come with any sides. Since they are small plates, you end up needing 2-3 per person, which becomes pricey. Overall, a great foodie experience, but I would save it for a nicer dinner where I want to pay up to $50/person.Special Features:
- amazing place!Jaon2424Dined on 7/29/2014The staff is always stellar! The food is great and I would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocanova is unique food/drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014We have been there twice (brunch and happy hour/dinner) and find the foods and drinks to be unique, interesting and flavorful. Deviled egg with dungeness crab, shrimp ceviche, steelhead ceviche, salmon entree, duck sliders, fish tacos, pork ribs, potted black cod, guacamole, pappas fritas--variety and very tasty. We enjoyed sitting outside on the covered patio over looking the marina and walkway. Dog friendly. Looking forward to our next visit. Service was excellent with good team work among the waiters, busboys, hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Oakland WinnerMobileaccessDined on 7/26/2014The setting for Bocanova, by the Bay at Jack London Square, is beautiful, but the real reason to go there is the food. All the plates are small, yet easy to share and wonderful to taste. The grilled day scallops with curry sauce were a real treat as was the Caesar salad with actual anchovies! The wine list is innovative, with very good offerings from Spain and Latin America - good advice from the bartender and the waiter got us just what we wanted. A place to come back to over and over again.Special Features:
- BigDaddyDined on 7/25/2014At a recent evening visit I and 3 others found the place uncomfortably noisy. The background music was unnecessary. Maybe we should of sat outside. Good food and service. Don't raise prices. They are high enough already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a treat!OaktownFoodieDined on 7/25/2014Good food; solid service; appealing atmosphere. We return to Bocanova quite often and always enjoy ourselves. It is one of our favorite restaurants in Oakland. We have also rented the side room for special occasions for large family celebrations and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- DELISH!LucyDined on 7/24/2014We love Bocanova... great cocktails and quick service! We prefer outdoor seating but there was an event so we sat indoors. We were happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hodor.HodorDined on 7/23/2014Hodor. Hodor. Hodor Hodor. Hodor Hodor. Hodor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocanova 7/23/14OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014We started with the cheese board. The portion was disappointing and the cheese selection boring. Hummus the same. The scallops and ribs got a good rating from our table. Pork chop and chicken were less exciting. Veggie sides were good. Very nice servers. Wine suggestions were good.Special Features:
- Fabulous - check it out!fabulous5Dined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed a lovely long and delicious anniversary dinner here We ate indoors and those tables felt more separate and special There could be nicer plantings/outdoor area so we were not tempted to eat outside Lovely softened industrial space Great creative drinks and food Wonderfully paced service Expensive but worth it Even the desserts were good and we are not huge dessert people and had not left a lot of room but they were worth having!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, service needs improvinghard2pleaseDined on 7/19/2014Loved the food! Wait service was pretty bad, you will notice 3-4 waiters laughing in one corner for a long period of time multiple times.Special Features:
- Nothing special...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014There are many tapas style retaurants that are better...1st time here...flavors were acceptable but not outstanding. Slow to serve after we arrived and coffees arrived after dessert was finished when ordered before.
- Poor ServiceGabyVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food is just ok, overpriced for what it is, tiny servings in tiny plates. Service is beyond terrible, the waiter would forget half of everything we'd tell him, every time they came to clear the table almost all forks and knives ended up on the ground, they spilled a full glass of wine on my husband's lap and replaced it with a half glass from the bar only after we asked for a replacement. I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- WinejelafDined on 7/16/2014wonderful eclectic selection of wines. great for exploring. food pairs well. service was very good. wonderful advice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant, poor serviceFromOaklandDined on 7/9/2014There is nothing worse about going to a nice restaurant and then having to constantly struggle to get the attention of the wait staff. It is even worse when the staff continually keeps their backs to you, stands around laughing and talking, and really does not appear to be particularly interested in doing their jobs. This, unfortunately, detracts from the restaurant experience a which is unfortunate because the location is great and the ambiance is nice. I love the location and style; the service needs to reflect the quality of the restaurant.Special Features: