Bocado Tapas Wine Bar - Providence
60 Valley Street
Providence, RI 02909Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Bocado Tapas Wine Bar - Providence
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nichehospitality.com/
- Phone: 4012706080
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bocado Tapas Wine Bar - Providence
Bocado Tapas Wine Bar- Modern. Chic, Bold, Sexy. A journey of tastes and flavor inspired by Mediterranean Cuisine served through a savory mix of tapas plates and extensive wine flights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Bocado Tapas Wine Bar - Providence - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Bocado Tapas Wine Bar - Providence reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)good for groups (59)neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (45)special occasion (39)vibrant bar scene (28)hot spot (27)romantic (20)late-night find (18)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fun nightloalDined on 9/13/2014Bocado is lively and great fun. Lots of choices for tapas, all Spanish wine list, proper rice in paella, good service. Highly recommend for a fun night out in Providence but I suggest you order in stages, not all at once, for a better pace to the meal.Special Features:
- Great food!AndrewVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great food. Get the fried goat cheese, it's the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Out of the ordinary, excellent food! Delicious, authentic paella!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious tapasRIFoodSnobDined on 9/12/2014This was my 3rd visit & this time I had a Groupon. The experience for two is TONS of food but great if you like good paella. So far the MUST-haves are: pheasant sausage & manchego (Charcuterie & Queso), the duck leg with pistachios, the rabbit, fried risotto balls & veal-stuffed piquillo peppers. The best part is that the menu still makes me want to visit again. It's got so much to offer & I have yet to have a bad meal here. So excited they came to Providence!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was goodclickmatchDined on 9/12/2014I suggest ordering a la carte, as we were full after the appetizer portion. Of course we're generally light eaters, besides the fact that I am allergic to shrimp, so 3 of the 4 paellas were off the table. The service was good, but they say us kind of sandwiched between two other couples and it was a bit tight. That particular table was in the corner, so both of us were kind of facing the other tables, which was a little weird due to proximity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagRIFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014There was no A/C on this muggy 87 degree day. That put a damper on the whole meal. Some of the tapas that were served were yummy. Some were boring and the octopus was like rubber. The paella was tasty but not the best I've ever had and it was made with tiny shrimp a few calmari rings little necks and mussels and some peas and carrots. The bill for 4 people with only one pitcher of sangria was $200. While the tapas bar idea is fun, a better meal can be had elsewhere for the price.
- NoiseSVB63Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful restaurant ....if they could just do something with the level of noise. Maybe some sound proofing on the ceiling?Special Features:
- Nice addition to Prov food sceneBeachGirlRIDined on 9/3/2014This is a great industrial space, lots of seating, nicely designed. The wait staff was excellent. The sangria was too sweet and disappointing. The food was good, but not fabulous. That being said, we only tried 8 tapas dishes and there are lots more to explore. The best were the small peppers stuffed with veal---they are a 10. The shrimp were fresh but lacked flavor. The vegetable terrine was okay, I think I'd preferf that one hot and it was bland. When I think of great tapas, I think of Dali in Cambridge, where shrimp arrive in bubbling olive oil with cloves of roasted garlic and bread for dipping, pork tenderloin is topped with gorgonzola sauce and duck legs are bathed in fresh berry sauces. I'm hoping Bocado gets to that level soon....Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceHappy2EatDined on 8/30/2014My friend and I both enjoyed the listed "experience for 2." It was a really fun experience and the food was delicious! The highlights were the pheasant sausage, the patatas asadas, and the churros and chocolate. The house red sangria was also fantastic; it was just the right subtle hint of sweetness. Another highlight was the service. Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. Our waitress, Rachel, was simply outstanding. She was incredibly knowledgable about the menu and she cheerfully walked us through the options, making suggestions about both the food and the experience. I look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A diamond in the roughBurmaDined on 8/29/2014Wow was the review I had read about this Resturant and it was right on. We had a fantastic meal and service was as good as the meal. Just make sure when you check in you mention OPEN TABLE. I received an email that I did not show up when actually I showed up 15 min early. It took sending a copy of my receipt to get it worked out but all is good now. The food renaissance in Providence continues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2014We ate at Bocado Friday night and were bowled over by the food and the service! The quality and variety were outstanding! We look forward to returning in order to try more options, and have already recommends it to a number of our friends!Special Features:
- great dinnerlhspg3140Dined on 8/26/2014I had a groupon n had been to the one in Worcester. the prov one is more open & has better food. the only 2 complaints, squid was slightly over cooked & we ordered the flan for dessert but was given churillos instead. all the rest of the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!RInewbieDined on 8/23/2014Fairly new to Rhode Island and I came across Bocado via Yelp. The reviews were great, the menu looked even better so I took a chance and picked it for a first date. The food was fantastic, we say at the bar and Nate out bartender was funny, attentive and just a good guy! I'll definitely be returning and telling lots about this place.. Oh and btw the date went very well also! Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in all respectsacbiiiDined on 8/23/2014Lots of choices. We were 4 people and ordered the fixed price option, taking selections from each part of the menu. The two problems - 1) we did not get to try everything we wanted and 2) it was more food than the four of us could eat. Each selection was well prepared and an appropriate size for our group. The service was friendly and unhurried. With all the courses and small plates, the 2 1/2 hours we were at our table flew by. We plan to go back again to order some of the items we missed and to reorder those we particularly loved - like the fried goat cheese and the shrimp burgers.Special Features:
- Fortunate mistake!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014We actually booked this by accident, thinking it was another area restaurant with a similar name, and we were extremely glad that we kept the reservation! It was a fantastic evening. Both the wine & food menus are extensive. We particularly enjoyed the "flight" options for the wine/cava. Nate, the bartender, was fabulous. He spent time explaining the menu options, offering suggestions and opinions when asked. Hope to visit again soon.Special Features:
- MarioDined on 8/22/2014We had a great time. The Tapas were excelent, and plenty of posssible selections.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food mediocre at best. Cheese plate was nothing special, tuna carpaccio was dry, paella was like rice-a-roni, desert no worth a mention Honestly, felt like I was eating at the Spain exhibit at Epcot. Also, our party of 4 was never served all at once. Thru each course, there was always 1 plate that lagged behind. Also, while sangria was good...served w waaaay too much ice. Watered the taste down within a few minutes of being served.Special Features:
- Great date night.JeffishungryDined on 8/21/2014Bocada was a great place. Our waitress was friendly and attentive, the food came out within a reasonable time. I had the dinner for 2 which was given to us a lower price because of a special they are having. (not sure how much longer that's running for) The only thing i wasn't crazy about was the chocolate sauce for the Churros, it was a very (watery) thin consistency but i'm not sure if that's how its suppose to be. Other than that The paella was great and so were the small plates we chose.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundnickysticksDined on 8/21/2014Fantastic food and excellent service. Only complaint was the table/chair seating is not very comfortable (even though the heavy padding on the chairs might suggest otherwise, they're just a bit awkward). They accommodated our request to move to a booth as soon as one was available and we thoroughly enjoyed the Bocado Experience for 4. Servers were knowledgeable about the menu and the food just kept on coming. Looking forward to a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseinsearchofgreatfoodDined on 8/17/2014This has the potential to be a gem in Olneyville. We did the Bocado experience and tried 8 different items, all of which were expertly prepared. The Sangrias were also delicious. This may be our new favorite restaurant in providenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperliciousLbeau61VIPDined on 8/16/2014First time at Bocada. The experience for 2 was fantastic . Need to go back to try the things we didn't have. Everything tasted fresh and delicious! Very nice choice of wine and the sangria in any flavor u like was also excellent! Management waiters bartenders all extremely friendly. Some people have said the area in providence not the best but we felt comfortable and they have valet parking. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great spot!Tonysdaughter87Dined on 8/16/2014My boyfriend and I just moved here from New Jersey and we had some friends and family coming to visit us for the weekend. We went from a group of 4, to 3, then to 5 and Bocado was super accommodating in letting us change our party size and reservation time. Our server, Dean, was awesome! Explained the entire menu for us and gave us a few of his faves. We decided to try the "Bocado Experience" for 4 people as well as one additional selection from the a la carte tapas. It was the perfect amount of food! We also tried a pitcher of the mixed berry sangria and it was fabulous and refreshing. I would definitely come back and recommend this place to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wanted to try this placeJenncheatmealDined on 8/15/2014Not as good as I expected. We ordered the "experience" which as 2 choices from meat/cheese plates, 4 tapas, one rizzotto and a dessert. None of the food was outstanding...In fact the meal was meh...I put in a special request for gluten free when I ordered. No mention of it when we sat down for dinner. The fried goat cheese was ok, the duck was eh, the rabbit was eh, the salad was ok, the eggplant was ok...the vegetable rissotto was awful and the peaches and cream was something my kids could have thrown together. The best part of the night was that there was a pig roast outside with different alcohol vendors showcasing their products. The waitress was also good...unfortunately though, won't be going back.Special Features:
- new (tapas) kid in townterryhDined on 8/9/2014easy to find -large open space with a long bar- gets noisy. making it hard to hear the pleasant soft- spoken waiter at times. -one whole 2 sided drink menu-sherry flights, sangrias, wine flights and many, many wines by taste, glass or bottle, plus cocktails -and then a 2 sided food menu-tapas-fun to mix and match-the bluefish was outstanding and the fried goat cheese was second -so many choices-enjoyed it all-this place is going to really be hopping once it is discoveredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine!upside8Dined on 8/7/2014My girlfriend and I ordered the experience for two and let me say, there was so much food! With so many delicious options, it was hard to choose for each course. She got the wine flight and loved how the wines were ordered from old world to new. All in all, the atmosphere is relaxing, great service and the food is tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice tapas placeRob1764VIPDined on 8/6/2014Great choices of tapas, seafood dishes, Spanish fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, hip, and fun!AmyBVIPDined on 8/2/2014The menu is massive and portions are true tapas portions, so you get to try many dishes in order to fill up...but our party of four had maybe 10 dishes and our bill was only $60 per couple...so it was very inexpensive for providence. We liked everything we ate and we even really loved several of the dishes. The yummy brownie for dessert was even quite satisfying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/2/2014Came with a group so we ordered the Bocado experience and the food was great. It was nice to have a break in between all the courses but the break between the tapas and the paella went too long and we didn't really feel like having the paella by the time it got to the table. We had ordered the vegetable and the classic and the vegetable was dry but that was the only issue we had with our food. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- connVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great food and service. All the tapas we have tried, we would order again! I also like the monthly specials. We will return!Special Features:
- Not impressedEmilylovDined on 8/1/2014I was looking forward to going there because of the good reviews but was disappointed. The food was below average, not authentic, and very noisy because of high ceilings and the floor plan is very open. Service was good in the beginning but later just had to wait forever for the tapas to come. And then got over charged on the bill. Overall a disappointing experience, would not recommend to my friends.
- Find another tapas barOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014We went to Bocado hoping to find that there are two good tapas restaurants in Providence. We were wrong. It's a shame really because while off the beaten path, the space is nicely designed and large. So much potential, but the food is just not very good. And it's more like small plates than traditional Spanish tapas. We won't be coming back.
- Less than ImpressedPVSBVIPDined on 8/1/2014We arrived at Bocado ethusiastic about the environment. Built into a converted mill, Bocado has a high-ceiling open kitchen environment and has all the promise of a terrific restaurant. Unfortunately, the slow service coupled with the bland food left us wanting. We ordered the "experience for two" which provided a charcuterie plate, 4 small plates and an order of paella. To start, this is entirely too much food for 2 people. We noticed the waitress having to spend 3+ minutes at each table just trying to explain the menu design to befuddled customers. The only small plate worth mentioning was the prok meatballs. The lamb chops were entirely unseasoned. We tried the paella the next day and it too was underseasoned.Special Features:
- Flavors!captainmattDined on 8/1/2014We have been to Bocado in Worcester a few times with a group, another couple, and as a couple alone. We have enjoyed it each time. We decided to try the Providence location when a Groupon popped up (we had not realized they opened one there). The food was just as good, if not a little better. I wasn't too excited about the open floorplan seating, but it didn't bother me, either. I personally think it is a very fair price for the quality of food you receive. Everything is very fresh, wonderfully seasoned, and well presented. Kudos to all of the waitstaff for being able to comment or recommend dishes on such an expansive and non-traditional menu. We enjoyed all 4 courses, but the Bacon-wrapped scallops were truly amazing! *****Special Features:
- good startlasalaDined on 7/29/2014I really enjoyed: the authentic Spanish music, comfortable seating, authentic menu items with foodie appropriate/fancy twists (like the croquetas de pollo - best I have had). The wine list is quite good and pretty extensive. They touch on many of the amazing Spanish grapes there are, though adding Txakolina would make it even better. I went at an early time on a weeknight, so I don't know how the ambiance changes with the time of night. The restaurant stands out in its location in that it is the nicest thing around - it may be a changing neighborhood, but it still seems a bit incongruous.Special Features:
- New Trendy Tapas RestaurantNashvilleNewbyVIPDined on 7/27/2014This is a nice new restaurant in a a region of Providence that is not known for its restaurant atmosphere. The newly opened establishment is chique and trendy. The atmosphere is relaxed but appears upscale and well done. The Tapas portions are appropriate, with lots of different choices. The paella was only ok. Overall, I enjoyed this new trendy restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed this restaurantKarenDined on 7/26/2014Great tapas and service! We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ErraticTheConstantDinerDined on 7/26/2014We LOVE tapas and had high hopes for Bacado. Overall the night was mixed. Dinner for 4 took over 3 hours. We thought our server had entered the witness protection program... The room is nice- industrial chic. The food was up and down. The cheeses , flan and shrimp were wonderful. The scallop special was not even edible. The dates had such a frozen taste we left them. The paella was fair but unseasoned. I gave the restaurant 3 stars based mostly on potential. If you know tapas well, Bocado will not impress. If you are new to tapas, you likely will have fun and overlook the flaws. We will wait a few months and try again. Hopefully the management will make improvements as Bacado ages. I hope so. Providence needs a restaurant like this.Special Features:
- luckytofind!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014I was so impressed from start to finish! The service was fantastic, the wine was delicious, the food just kept coming and every dish was more delicious than the last! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Tapas for TwoTXMCDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I took advantage of Providence Restaurant Week to try a new place at the former home of Cuban Revolution. Bocado is a great tapas experience, and they are continuing to offer the restaurant week special through the summer as a way to introduce themselves to the area. Try Bocado if you are looking for a group experience or a nice foodie date night. The sangria is a good choice, but there are many fine Spanish wines to choose from. The bone marrow and the duck with pistachio apricot glaze tapas were my favorite, while my wife enjoyed the foie gras with garbanzo puree and fried goat cheese offerings. Everything we tried was prepared well and served with the appropriate timing by our attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad they're closer!KittenCaboodleDined on 7/12/2014We are a huge fan of Bocado in Worcester so when we moved it became a bit of a hike - mainly reserved for special occasions. So glad to find them in Providence now. The menu is the same. The food is the same. The service was great especially for only being open for a few weeks. The must-haves are the fried goat cheese, clams and chorizo (ask for bread to soak up the sauce!), lamb lollipops and the sangria. There are a ton of options - literally something for everyone here. Plus, they know how to serve tapas: they offer assistance with the menu, they don't rush you, they bring out the plates in a logical order and stagger them so that you're not inundated. Oh, valet parking a plus too!Special Features: