340 Ignacio Blvd
Novato, CA 94949Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocatavern.com/
- Phone: (415) 883-0901
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday & Monday 5:00pm-9:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 4:00pm-6:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have several different options for your special event. Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Mia Johnson (415) 883-0960
A word from Boca Tavern
BOCA TAVERN welcomes you with wholesome American fare. Our local, in season dishes will give our guests the opportunity to visit us time and time again‚ always discovering something unique and delicious. Simple preparation made from the freshest locally sourced ingredients will be the focus of each plate using our wood fired grill and oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boca Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)great for outdoor dining (35)special occasion (22)good for groups (22)fit for foodies (18)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (13)romantic (12)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Better than everOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 11/18/2014Been dining here once or twice a year since their opening. My most recent experience was the best yet. Crispy calamari, fish taco and rib apps made the best of their respective feature flavors. All entrees very well prepared. Grilled salmon served with their version of fresh Lima bean succotash full of surprising flavor and complex texture. The bar serves ample and well crafted cocktails. Tuesday night half off on all wines! Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time back since changeDDDDDined on 11/7/2014This was our first time back at this restaurant since they changed from Boca Steak to Boca Tavern. It seems to be very similar to what it was before. We had the empanadas as an appetizer. They were great. I had a dinner salad and my wife had a pasta dish. Both were very good. We were in a smallish side room to the main room, and I liked that very much. It was quieter than the main room (which was quite noisy), and made conversation much easier. We will be back.Special Features:
- Perfect meeting placeRustymom64VIPDined on 11/1/2014We dined here with friends who live in San Anselmo, we live in Sonoma. It was a perfect location to meet for dinner. We all had a great meal and the appetizers were excellent as well. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Very nice!adiechouDined on 10/31/2014The calamari was perfect - Both the Thai noodle dish and the Stroganoff noodle dish were delicious… very generous portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingKayJVIPDined on 10/31/2014I found that sitting at a table for two and having a table for six right opposite you is horrible. You cannot hear your friend speak and you feel very confined with people yelling and talking loud right next to you. I will not sit there again for sure. There should be a place for two people out of the way of big parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menunmhteacherVIPDined on 10/28/2014When we went in, there was some fear that the noise, coming from the bar area, would be overwhelming, but we took the option of dining in the outdoor area (heating available but not necessary the evening we were there), and there it was quite pleasant, the noise being distant. Service was prompt and timely. I especially liked the variety of options available on the menu. And the price was right. Recommended for sure.
- Five Stars for Boca Tavern, NovatoJollySwagmanDined on 10/27/2014On arrival, we were congratulated on our 57th Anniversary and shown to a perfectly located booth. We had avoided Boca for many months due to poor food, so-so serrvice, etc. but things have changed! Our dinners were fabulous, the service was outstanding and prices were appropriate. Wine list is average but our bar drink was superior. A celebratory complimentry drink or dessert might have been a nice touch but all in all the dining experience rates up there with the best in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- Inside BocalilypersimmonDined on 10/27/2014The staff at Boca were very accomodating and friendly. And the service was good. The outdoor seating was very comfortable and quiet so you could talk comfortably to your companions. I found the food I chose to be mediocre but the menu itself had many other choices. I like that they had a full bar with some signature cocktails. It was a comfortable place to be but since it is quite a drive from where I live in Marin, I would not make it a point to go back a second time. I am glad that I checked it out.Special Features:
- Wine Day!BigAlVIPDined on 10/21/2014On Tuesday bottles of wine are half off. A chance to have a premium wine at a decent price. My salmon was outstanding. So good that I even went to the kitchen to compliment the chef.Special Features:
- Awesome...but...DisappointedDined on 10/15/2014My wife, friends and I are regulars at Boca and have been for years. We always can count on a fantastic meal and we have never been disappointed until yesterday. The wine was excellent as was the service and all of the food except for the New York Steak I ordered. I love this place for the wonderful flavor of their meat selections but after forcing my steak knife through that tough steak for 20 minutes, I gave up. The seasoning and steak sauce were great but when it takes me 20+ chews to break down one piece enough to swallow, well, I think a review is warranted. The quality of that meat was something I would expect from $12 steak from Safeway, not a $32 prime cut I count on from Boca. They need to have a word with their supplier.Special Features:
- SO glad we found Boca Tavern!Chicago2367VIPDined on 10/9/2014We landed in Oakland at 7:30 & decided to stay in Novato before a weekend in wine country. Our server Amine was fantastic - knowledgeable of the wine & food! We had a delicious dinner & great wine pairing. It was almost 9:00 when we arrived and so glad to have found this place and the NOT be rushed out on a quite Thursday evening when we were the last couple in the restaurant. Looking forward to returning on future visits to the bay area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Great outdoor dining. The food was excellent - we both had one of their special salads.Special Features:
- DisappointedMikeDined on 9/27/2014I was so looking forward to eating here after hearing so many good things. The experience did not live up to the hype though. I did enjoy the Mai Tai. My issues 1. Prime Rib - went on a Saturday and knew the prime rib would be limited due to the note in the menu. Asked the server if I needed to reserve one before ordering. She said no that there was plenty. She later came back to offer me the last one which was an end cut that was well done. Who wants that? Server should know the exact # before coming to the table. 2. Ranch - They have no ranch dressing. What kind of place does not have ranch? Like a bar not having Budwesier. 3. They could not figure out how to serve a small side of mac and cheese 4. My filet mignon was overcooked.Special Features:
- Great food, service and prices.katiemDined on 9/18/2014We went for a family birthday and we were fully prepared to go for it on the menu with appetizers, drinks, and dessert. The waiter who gave us excellent service.Special Features:
- service suckedmaringuyDined on 9/13/2014food was just ok.. we went for the red meat.. it was tasty but presentation left a lot to be desired.. Service was sucky, either there weren't enough servers (wait people or they have too many tables). The waiter for the table next to us, continued to stand with his back to me, as I was eating, when he could have stood on the empty side. Inconsiderate. Our waitress was good, but we waited perhaps 15 minutes after being seated for her to show up and take our order. The wine glasses were purely awful. I brought a bottle of red ($75.00 bottle for the red meat). The wine glasses did nothing to help enrich the wine. In general This place is probably great for lunch, but is typical rip-off land for fine dining in Marin.
- DissapointedLuv2eatoutDined on 9/13/2014I'm sad to say I probably won't ever go here again. After finding a long black hair in my green beans, I informed the waitress who didn't offer to do anything about it. And then on top of that, charged me in full for my meal. I used to work in the restaurant business so I understand how important it is to take care of the customer. I didn't feel this way. Beautiful building inside and out but need to look at the type of service they provide for their customers
- Gretcha1VIPDined on 9/10/2014My favorite! We come from Sonoma at least twice a month. Always delicious, fun and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handy spot for our stay during raceIndyCarFanDined on 8/23/2014Starting coming here when it was a steakhouse and loved it then because it was more for special occasions. Service was more formal too. New ownership now and more family friendly. Food is good and nice outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeNovatoBobDined on 8/23/2014trouble checking in; never looked at OpenTable res. Very slow; brought entrees before salads, had to have redone; Wedges poor, seemed over-stretched--and for a 6:30 reservation on Sat.
- LOVE OYSTER WEDNESDAYS!MouseVIPDined on 8/20/2014This is the second time we've made it to oyster Wednesday. They are so fresh and good. Will definitely make time to do it a few more times before the fall weather descends upon us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/18/2014There are not a lot of steakhouses or finer dining in northern Marin so this is one where you feel like it is a special occassion.Special Features:
- Outdoor Dining at BocaBMKfoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014I've had 3 meals there in the last 3 months and they consistently disappoint. While I love the ambiance on their patio I can't seem to get a decent meal. The Filet Mignon was "just ok." At $32.00 I want more than "ok." Accompanying baked potato was not cooked through. Their cheesecake is really wimpy...lacks the flavor cheesecake is supposed to deliver. They need a new chef. I was with friends who said that their meals were "just ok" as well. Not an impressive culinary experience, unfortunately, as Novato could certainly use that.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014We'd dined here under the old management. The layout doesn't appear to have changed, but the food was improved. I had one of the very best filet mignon's I've ever had, and came with a choice of three sauces. The green pepercorn sauce was my favorite. The veggies were tasty, but I'll aks for the Duck fries next time. My wife ate their hamburger and enjoyed it, and the Duck fries. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kim CherninveryhappydinerDined on 8/15/2014I go to the restaurant frequently and always find it outstanding. Of course, I have my favorite foods, but I nibble from my friends' plates and can say with this borrowed-authority that nothing has ever disappointed us. My favorites: ribeye steak and crisp chicken, both of them as good as any I've eaten anywhere (including Buenos Aires, steak capital of the world). I love eating outdoors, even as the weather cools and they light the fire. I just love this place, I regret going anywhere else when I do. And therefore, mostly I don't.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014Went with two friends for dinner on a Tuesday night (half price bottles of wine!). Normally we don't order meat but that night we had a filet that was fabulous, a new York that was delicious and ribs which were tender and juicy. Our waitress was darling and attentive. It was a lovely reunion with the food and wine completing the evening in fashion!Special Features:
- Always good...Tony44VIPDined on 8/9/2014We enjoy our regular dinners at Boca Steak. One of the only places in Marin where I know I can consistently get a phenomenal filet. The staff is always attentive and professional and the food wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always like this place!luvaniteoffDined on 8/2/2014The empanadas are delicious. My husband really enjoyed his filet mignon, and I enjoyed my Pacific Snapper. The key lime cheesecake was the perfect end to the meal. Our server was very friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant!LMCMDined on 7/31/2014We have been several times and most recently took family there. Everyone had something different and everyone was very pleased. I had a link cod with crab special and it was absolutely delicious. The seafood linguine is fabulous. All of the wait staff are attentive and professional. I feel lucky to have this restaurant just ten minutes from home. Haven't tried their happy hour yet but plan to.Special Features:
- The following 174 reviews are from the Boca Tavern reviews archive.
- Tried twiceSantaRosa2Dined on 7/25/2014My first time here was for dinner a couple of weeks ago. It was very good, so I met a friend there for lunch recently. Meal was medicore: salad was heaped with less than flavorful ingredients. Dressing was ordinary. My take-away is that dinner was better than lunch, even though the menu was the same. I would explore other restaurants in Novato before going back.
- Boca NightBearDined on 7/23/2014A really excellent dinner. The Fish and Duck fries were extraordinary. The Skirt Steak (don't miss the peppersauce sauce} and Hamburger (Perfectly cooked as ordered) were also outstanding. This was a successful birthday celebration, there was great value all aroundSpecial Features:
- Better Than EverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2014We've been going to Boca occasionally for years. Though there have been some changes, it's better than ever! Food was all amazing, from appetizers to dessert, and the service was just impeccable. Best service of any restaurant I can recall lately. Prices are not bad for a steakhouse, the food was definitely worth it. Definitely recommend for a nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so hotdiner123Dined on 7/20/2014Hostess provided warm and friendly greeting, as did server and bus staff. The restaurant was not busy, our reservation was for 6:30pm. However, it took over an hour to be served our meals and when they finally arrived, they were room temp. One dish was fish, which tastes awful unless it is hot. The other was an off menu special that would have been good had it been served hot. The other dish was a misconstrued version of a shrimp louis salad. Awful. No excuse to serve room temp food after waiting nearly an hour for it. Don't plan to return anytime soon, unfortunately. It was a birthday dinner celebration that was a food downer.
- Unfortunate dinnerin2goodfoodDined on 7/20/2014This was meant to be a nice dinner for four. We ordered three of the dinners on their early bird special. My soup was fine for the first two spoonfuls and then the third spoonful was so hot it took the skin off my palate. The waitress noticed I didn't eat the soup and asked if I was unhappy with it and I told her that my mouth had been burned. One of our party ordered the scampi dish and the shrimp was like rubber. We shared our dinners with him so he actually did have some food. The vegetables were overcooked, the dessert was over sauced. There were no inquiries or apologies nor compensation for any of it. We were ignored! The backup staff were more friendly and helpful than the wait staff. We won't be going there again.Special Features:
- Just okLovetoeatDined on 7/20/2014Steaks are just ok. Had to send back two under cooked steaks. Came back and were good, average but good. Back before they changed to "tavern" they were awesome and we came frequently. Second try in this version and probably the last. Do not try fish and chips. I know it's a steak place... A couple of pieces were very fishy and could not eat. Fish was piping hot Fries were cold. It was early evening and not crowded so cannot understand the lack of attention to prep. Pickles use to be free. Cheap now at 3 bucks but not so good anymore. Mushy and over spiced. Ate hardly any and we use to want refills. Maybe they sit too long now since they are not free and nobody orders them.
- Special DinnerKenAnneDined on 7/16/2014Very good service. Surprising ambiance. Dinner salad and main course were both good. String beans were al dente which is French for not cooked... Dessert was chocolate syrup over brownies. OK if you like chocolate but we don'r. Had just the sundae. Open table note re special occasion (wife's birthday) was not recognized??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Patio for LunchsedonaVIPDined on 7/15/2014Their salads and sandwiches are great for lunch. Very nice patio that is covered. Lots of nice appetizers for a light dinner. Very good menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some old standards are back!MouseVIPDined on 7/9/2014I'm so happy to see that some of our old favorites made it back onto the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Patio SpotNorthBayDinerDined on 7/9/2014Patio was covered, and was very comfortable on a hot day for lunch. Service was good. I had a salmon nicoise salad, Salmon was cooked perfectly, dressing was forgettable. My companion had the salad with grilled shrimp. She said it was very good, but the chips that were served in the salad were awful. So hard that they hurt her teeth. We mentioned it to the server, and he said he would pass it along. Never heard anything again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityHappydiners2Dined on 7/7/2014Outstanding food, lots of choices, variety of tastesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service, or lack thereofLarryVIPDined on 7/6/2014We arrived for our 5:15 reservation Sunday 7/7. There was one other couple in the dining room. We immediately got our water but waited over 10 minutes for a server to appear=Absolutely Unacceptable! I finally got up and went to the Hostess on my way to the bar to (finally!) order drinks, and directly mentioned to her that there doesn't appear to be any service in the dining room. Attentive Bartender had our drinks delivered to our table. Server finally arrived and was attentive. The Water/Bread Server, Mario, I believe, was incredibly attentive=the highlight of the evening. This is the 2nd such mediocre service experience here. I doubt we will return. This is in contrast with the Boca Pizzeria which always has excellent service!