340 Ignacio Blvd
Novato, CA 94949Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocatavern.com/
- Phone: 415-883-0901
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday & Monday 5:00pm-9:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 4:00pm-6:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have several different options for your special event. Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Mia Johnson (415) 883-0960
A word from Boca Tavern
BOCA TAVERN welcomes you with wholesome American fare. Our local, in season dishes will give our guests the opportunity to visit us time and time again‚ always discovering something unique and delicious. Simple preparation made from the freshest locally sourced ingredients will be the focus of each plate using our wood fired grill and oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Boca Tavern - Best Restaurants in Novato ›
Boca Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (46)neighborhood gem (41)special occasion (29)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (13)romantic (13)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wine Day!BigAlVIPDined on 10/21/2014On Tuesday bottles of wine are half off. A chance to have a premium wine at a decent price. My salmon was outstanding. So good that I even went to the kitchen to compliment the chef.Special Features:
- Awesome...but...DisappointedDined on 10/15/2014My wife, friends and I are regulars at Boca and have been for years. We always can count on a fantastic meal and we have never been disappointed until yesterday. The wine was excellent as was the service and all of the food except for the New York Steak I ordered. I love this place for the wonderful flavor of their meat selections but after forcing my steak knife through that tough steak for 20 minutes, I gave up. The seasoning and steak sauce were great but when it takes me 20+ chews to break down one piece enough to swallow, well, I think a review is warranted. The quality of that meat was something I would expect from $12 steak from Safeway, not a $32 prime cut I count on from Boca. They need to have a word with their supplier.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Great outdoor dining. The food was excellent - we both had one of their special salads.Special Features:
- DisappointedMikeDined on 9/27/2014I was so looking forward to eating here after hearing so many good things. The experience did not live up to the hype though. I did enjoy the Mai Tai. My issues 1. Prime Rib - went on a Saturday and knew the prime rib would be limited due to the note in the menu. Asked the server if I needed to reserve one before ordering. She said no that there was plenty. She later came back to offer me the last one which was an end cut that was well done. Who wants that? Server should know the exact # before coming to the table. 2. Ranch - They have no ranch dressing. What kind of place does not have ranch? Like a bar not having Budwesier. 3. They could not figure out how to serve a small side of mac and cheese 4. My filet mignon was overcooked.Special Features:
- Great food, service and prices.katiemDined on 9/18/2014We went for a family birthday and we were fully prepared to go for it on the menu with appetizers, drinks, and dessert. The waiter who gave us excellent service.Special Features:
- service suckedmaringuyDined on 9/13/2014food was just ok.. we went for the red meat.. it was tasty but presentation left a lot to be desired.. Service was sucky, either there weren't enough servers (wait people or they have too many tables). The waiter for the table next to us, continued to stand with his back to me, as I was eating, when he could have stood on the empty side. Inconsiderate. Our waitress was good, but we waited perhaps 15 minutes after being seated for her to show up and take our order. The wine glasses were purely awful. I brought a bottle of red ($75.00 bottle for the red meat). The wine glasses did nothing to help enrich the wine. In general This place is probably great for lunch, but is typical rip-off land for fine dining in Marin.
- DissapointedLuv2eatoutDined on 9/13/2014I'm sad to say I probably won't ever go here again. After finding a long black hair in my green beans, I informed the waitress who didn't offer to do anything about it. And then on top of that, charged me in full for my meal. I used to work in the restaurant business so I understand how important it is to take care of the customer. I didn't feel this way. Beautiful building inside and out but need to look at the type of service they provide for their customers
- Gretcha1VIPDined on 9/10/2014My favorite! We come from Sonoma at least twice a month. Always delicious, fun and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handy spot for our stay during raceIndyCarFanDined on 8/23/2014Starting coming here when it was a steakhouse and loved it then because it was more for special occasions. Service was more formal too. New ownership now and more family friendly. Food is good and nice outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeNovatoBobDined on 8/23/2014trouble checking in; never looked at OpenTable res. Very slow; brought entrees before salads, had to have redone; Wedges poor, seemed over-stretched--and for a 6:30 reservation on Sat.
- LOVE OYSTER WEDNESDAYS!MouseVIPDined on 8/20/2014This is the second time we've made it to oyster Wednesday. They are so fresh and good. Will definitely make time to do it a few more times before the fall weather descends upon us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/18/2014There are not a lot of steakhouses or finer dining in northern Marin so this is one where you feel like it is a special occassion.Special Features:
- Outdoor Dining at BocaBMKfoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014I've had 3 meals there in the last 3 months and they consistently disappoint. While I love the ambiance on their patio I can't seem to get a decent meal. The Filet Mignon was "just ok." At $32.00 I want more than "ok." Accompanying baked potato was not cooked through. Their cheesecake is really wimpy...lacks the flavor cheesecake is supposed to deliver. They need a new chef. I was with friends who said that their meals were "just ok" as well. Not an impressive culinary experience, unfortunately, as Novato could certainly use that.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014We'd dined here under the old management. The layout doesn't appear to have changed, but the food was improved. I had one of the very best filet mignon's I've ever had, and came with a choice of three sauces. The green pepercorn sauce was my favorite. The veggies were tasty, but I'll aks for the Duck fries next time. My wife ate their hamburger and enjoyed it, and the Duck fries. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kim CherninveryhappydinerDined on 8/15/2014I go to the restaurant frequently and always find it outstanding. Of course, I have my favorite foods, but I nibble from my friends' plates and can say with this borrowed-authority that nothing has ever disappointed us. My favorites: ribeye steak and crisp chicken, both of them as good as any I've eaten anywhere (including Buenos Aires, steak capital of the world). I love eating outdoors, even as the weather cools and they light the fire. I just love this place, I regret going anywhere else when I do. And therefore, mostly I don't.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014Went with two friends for dinner on a Tuesday night (half price bottles of wine!). Normally we don't order meat but that night we had a filet that was fabulous, a new York that was delicious and ribs which were tender and juicy. Our waitress was darling and attentive. It was a lovely reunion with the food and wine completing the evening in fashion!Special Features:
- Always good...Tony44VIPDined on 8/9/2014We enjoy our regular dinners at Boca Steak. One of the only places in Marin where I know I can consistently get a phenomenal filet. The staff is always attentive and professional and the food wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always like this place!luvaniteoffDined on 8/2/2014The empanadas are delicious. My husband really enjoyed his filet mignon, and I enjoyed my Pacific Snapper. The key lime cheesecake was the perfect end to the meal. Our server was very friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant!LMCMDined on 7/31/2014We have been several times and most recently took family there. Everyone had something different and everyone was very pleased. I had a link cod with crab special and it was absolutely delicious. The seafood linguine is fabulous. All of the wait staff are attentive and professional. I feel lucky to have this restaurant just ten minutes from home. Haven't tried their happy hour yet but plan to.Special Features:
- Tried twiceSantaRosa2Dined on 7/25/2014My first time here was for dinner a couple of weeks ago. It was very good, so I met a friend there for lunch recently. Meal was medicore: salad was heaped with less than flavorful ingredients. Dressing was ordinary. My take-away is that dinner was better than lunch, even though the menu was the same. I would explore other restaurants in Novato before going back.
- Boca NightBearDined on 7/23/2014A really excellent dinner. The Fish and Duck fries were extraordinary. The Skirt Steak (don't miss the peppersauce sauce} and Hamburger (Perfectly cooked as ordered) were also outstanding. This was a successful birthday celebration, there was great value all aroundSpecial Features:
- Better Than EverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2014We've been going to Boca occasionally for years. Though there have been some changes, it's better than ever! Food was all amazing, from appetizers to dessert, and the service was just impeccable. Best service of any restaurant I can recall lately. Prices are not bad for a steakhouse, the food was definitely worth it. Definitely recommend for a nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so hotdiner123Dined on 7/20/2014Hostess provided warm and friendly greeting, as did server and bus staff. The restaurant was not busy, our reservation was for 6:30pm. However, it took over an hour to be served our meals and when they finally arrived, they were room temp. One dish was fish, which tastes awful unless it is hot. The other was an off menu special that would have been good had it been served hot. The other dish was a misconstrued version of a shrimp louis salad. Awful. No excuse to serve room temp food after waiting nearly an hour for it. Don't plan to return anytime soon, unfortunately. It was a birthday dinner celebration that was a food downer.
- Unfortunate dinnerin2goodfoodDined on 7/20/2014This was meant to be a nice dinner for four. We ordered three of the dinners on their early bird special. My soup was fine for the first two spoonfuls and then the third spoonful was so hot it took the skin off my palate. The waitress noticed I didn't eat the soup and asked if I was unhappy with it and I told her that my mouth had been burned. One of our party ordered the scampi dish and the shrimp was like rubber. We shared our dinners with him so he actually did have some food. The vegetables were overcooked, the dessert was over sauced. There were no inquiries or apologies nor compensation for any of it. We were ignored! The backup staff were more friendly and helpful than the wait staff. We won't be going there again.Special Features:
- Just okLovetoeatDined on 7/20/2014Steaks are just ok. Had to send back two under cooked steaks. Came back and were good, average but good. Back before they changed to "tavern" they were awesome and we came frequently. Second try in this version and probably the last. Do not try fish and chips. I know it's a steak place... A couple of pieces were very fishy and could not eat. Fish was piping hot Fries were cold. It was early evening and not crowded so cannot understand the lack of attention to prep. Pickles use to be free. Cheap now at 3 bucks but not so good anymore. Mushy and over spiced. Ate hardly any and we use to want refills. Maybe they sit too long now since they are not free and nobody orders them.
- Special DinnerKenAnneDined on 7/16/2014Very good service. Surprising ambiance. Dinner salad and main course were both good. String beans were al dente which is French for not cooked... Dessert was chocolate syrup over brownies. OK if you like chocolate but we don'r. Had just the sundae. Open table note re special occasion (wife's birthday) was not recognized??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Patio for LunchsedonaVIPDined on 7/15/2014Their salads and sandwiches are great for lunch. Very nice patio that is covered. Lots of nice appetizers for a light dinner. Very good menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some old standards are back!MouseVIPDined on 7/9/2014I'm so happy to see that some of our old favorites made it back onto the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Patio SpotNorthBayDinerDined on 7/9/2014Patio was covered, and was very comfortable on a hot day for lunch. Service was good. I had a salmon nicoise salad, Salmon was cooked perfectly, dressing was forgettable. My companion had the salad with grilled shrimp. She said it was very good, but the chips that were served in the salad were awful. So hard that they hurt her teeth. We mentioned it to the server, and he said he would pass it along. Never heard anything again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityHappydiners2Dined on 7/7/2014Outstanding food, lots of choices, variety of tastesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service, or lack thereofLarryVIPDined on 7/6/2014We arrived for our 5:15 reservation Sunday 7/7. There was one other couple in the dining room. We immediately got our water but waited over 10 minutes for a server to appear=Absolutely Unacceptable! I finally got up and went to the Hostess on my way to the bar to (finally!) order drinks, and directly mentioned to her that there doesn't appear to be any service in the dining room. Attentive Bartender had our drinks delivered to our table. Server finally arrived and was attentive. The Water/Bread Server, Mario, I believe, was incredibly attentive=the highlight of the evening. This is the 2nd such mediocre service experience here. I doubt we will return. This is in contrast with the Boca Pizzeria which always has excellent service!
- KayJVIPDined on 6/30/2014As always we had a great time at Boca Tavern. I have been going there for years and am so happy it is open for lunch again....Since I live in the area it is very convenient.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Excellent setting for business lunch with the exception of noise level. Service consistent and attentive. Menu good selection of items to eat and talk, i.e., salads.Special Features:
- ExcellentColtie000Dined on 6/29/2014Boca is great. The drinks, service and food are excellent and there's something for everyone. I had the skirt steak - delicious. Others had ribeye, chicken and snapper. Not one complaint. The butterscotch pudding is a real treat if you're in the mood for dessert. And the covered patio is perfect outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 159 reviews are from the Boca Tavern reviews archive.
- Bday bash!KristinohDined on 6/21/2014A group of 11 of us came for a surprise birthday. They were very accommodating. They decorated the table for us with decorations I dropped off. It was great. We had a fabulous time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2014Classic wedge, clam chowder to get started, both just right. Waiter was knowledgeable and polite. Water and drinks replenished often. Steak was done to order, dipping sauces always the treat. Sour cream for the baked potato was very tasty, a cut above the usual toppings. All in all, a favorite place for a good meal. I "might" use less salt on the baked potato :-)Special Features:
- Organized And TastyFeedMeDined on 6/14/2014Like a well run machine. They have all the parts working well: pleasant reception and seating, broad menu selection, carefully prepared entrees, unobtrusive waitstaff. Try the asparagus soup - da bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50% OffBigAlVIPDined on 6/10/2014Tuesday is 50% off all wines. Yea!!!! Let's me enjoy a great bottle at a realistic price. The grilled salmon was outstanding and I like that they don't bring you bread unless you ask for it. Helps with the waist line.Special Features:
- Never going backguiguinetteDined on 6/1/2014Ordered a glass of champagne to start the evening, did not have a chance to take a sip before the food already arrived on the table. Looking at the plate and tasted it, I strongly believe that the plates were all ready to go and microwaved before serving. Too salty, pork not warm in the inside, just terrible
- Disappointing change of menuNovatogalDined on 5/25/2014We have been to Boca 5 times before this and have always enjoyed superb service and attentive wait staff and amazing food. This time, there is a new chef bringing menu changes and some of our favorite items were gone. The Gaucho Steak, which my husband and I always share was the biggest loss and they also got rid of the Bernaise (sp?) sauce. Plus, we were bringing my sister-in-law who was Argentinian and she was looking for the Argentinian version of chicken fried steak (mellanaisa or something like that) and the waiter said they used to have it but not anymore. The food remained excellent even so. However, they forgot part of our order, didn't refill our water glasses or bring us more bread as they said they would.Special Features: