Boca Grande Cantina Mexicana
564 Washington Blvd
Jersey City, NJ 07310Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Boca Grande Cantina Mexicana
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocagrandenj.com/
- Phone: 2016266646
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 1:00pm - 6:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Serafin Sardoy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether planning a corporate lunch or a baby shower, Boca Grande can accommodate any-sized crowd at any-sized budget. We offer drop-off and set-up service as well as a catering wait-staff, or just packed up to-go for Sunday football.
- Private Party Facilities: Boca Grande is extremely flexible in accommodating private parties of any size. Food packages can include buffet-style service, or a prix fixe menu tailored specifically for your party, or a build-your-own taco station, among other options. Any package can be tailored to include or exclude alcoholic beverages. All private dining areas have direct access to the outside patio. The bar area can comfortably seat fifty people, and is ideal for private cocktail parties.
- Private Party Contact: Keith Mannino 2016266646
- Entertainment: Boca Grande hosts an open mic every Wednesday night, starting at 9:00pm. On Thursdays the bar runs a comedy night. Friday evenings are reserved for a traditional jazz band, and on select Sundays we hold a Salsa night, complete with free salsa lessons and a DJ until midnight. Coupled with our art gallery show openings, and local guest bands on Saturdays, there is always a fun show to catch after dinner.
- Cross Street: Newport Parkway
- Public Transit: Boca Grande is one block north of the Newport Path station, and two blocks north of the Newport light rail station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Boca Grande validates parking in the Newport parking lots next to, and across the street from the restaurant.
A word from Boca Grande Cantina Mexicana
Boca Grande Cantina Mexicana is a relaxed, urban alternative to traditional Mexican casual dining, with a slew of exotic cocktails, all fresh ingredients, and an extensive vegetarian menu. Located in the Newport neighborhood of Jersey City, the restaurant/bar hosts a local rotating art show, great live music, and a spacious gaming area. The restaurant can accommodate large or small private parties in its intimate gallery space, and can take the party anywhere with its pro catering services. Home of good food and great service, Boca Grande is the place to get cozy or get wild, and all are invited.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boca Grande Cantina Mexicana reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance2.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Tamale was pretty gross and burrito was mediocre ....rather just goto qdoba in the mall Dirty tables and bad service on top
- okay foodVDShDined on 7/29/2014nothing special...do not think i would go back. The food was okay, was really dark in the restaurant as well (was difficult to read the menu)
- The following 11 reviews are from the Boca Grande Cantina Mexicana reviews archive.
- DisappointedmbakerDined on 3/14/2014We went there with a bunch of ladies. Happy hour and the band were great. When we sat down for the food, it was a big disappointment. Was not sure what I was eating in the fish tacos. My friend had the shrimp fajitas which tasted a lithe better. We had hoped for some good mexican food and it didn't happen.Special Features:
- Always great!StephDined on 2/14/2014Special Valentine's menu never disappoints! We love this place. Always great service and a really cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in NewportStephDined on 2/14/2013Amazing food at great prices. I did not expect it to be as wonderful as it was. Our service was outstanding and the atmosphere was perfect for dinner. I will be going back time and time again.Special Features:
- Great guac, fun decor & lively crewLizJ13VIPDined on 8/3/2012At 5:15 on a Friday this place was already loud and the bar area was filling up. Love the design and funky decor! Looks like a neighborhood hotspot and great place to meet people with the pool table and arcade games in the corner. Crowd seemed in the 20-40 age range. Completely enjoyed our guac and chips-don't pass on adding the guac! Our entree, steak fajitas, was excellent. Too much for the two of us to finish so we used it for lunch the next day and it reheated beautifully. Appetizers were disappointing - the ceviche was not what we expected (fruity instead of tomatoey) and was lukewarm. Wings (stupid heat level) were not flavorful OR hot and were dried out. I'd come back for the guac and their awesome meals, but hope they fix the wings!Special Features:
- No bueno.kjrst9Dined on 6/29/2012Food was certainly edible but nothing even approaching authentic. Service was below average. Drinks were the same price as Manhattan drinks but 1/2 the size. Waiter offered to bring guac to go with our chips without mentioning they'd be $9. Fries weren't delivered to the table with the rest of the meal, we had to ask, and it took a while yet again to bring them. Check came with mistakes, had to be sent back and corrected. Little dipping sauce (salsa, actually) for fries cost extra. Not recommended.
- I had booked my table on memorialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2012I had booked my table on memorial day. The system allowed me to make a booking at 1:00 . The restraunt was opening at 3 .Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I went hereFoodieVIPDined on 3/2/2012My boyfriend and I went here for dinner. It was pretty noisy, due to the live music, but we sat in the gallery and it was a little better. I had a peach margarita, chorizo empanadas, and the tamales. All were delicious! The service was a little slow, but it wasn't a big issue since we weren't in a rush. I'd definitely come back here again!Special Features:
- Interesting Ambiance. HadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/10/2012Interesting Ambiance. Had a little bit of everthing going on. Knicks game televised at the bar. Next to the bar a two-man Jazz duo. I think people were shooting pool on the otherside of the restaurant. But I have to say the food was very good. I especially loved the Tostones Rellenos.Special Features:
- Great Place check it out.NoahVIPDined on 11/23/2011Great Place check it out. They had a jazz band playing on Wednesday night.Special Features:
- My friend and I came hereFoodieVIPDined on 11/21/2011My friend and I came here for dinner. I had an appetizer sampler that was quite delicious, and we shared a churros dulce de leche dessert that was yummy as well. The portions were good, and I had plenty for leftovers. I would definitely come back here again.Special Features:
- This place may have been underOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2011This place may have been under remodeling - also did not help that I visited this restaurant the day after Halloween and it was a complete disaster - did not look very clean... -The service was okay and the food was really good so overall I think it balanced out! :)