Boca Chica Restaurant
11 Cesar Chavez St.
Saint Paul, MN 55107Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Boca Chica Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bocachicarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (651) 222-8499
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: We cater fiestas for birthdays, graduations, office parties, Grooms dinners, social gathering and many other special events. Let us help make your party a success! For smaller or more casual fiestas, we have the Party Tray Menu with a large selection of delicious food items you may choose to make your party special! For larger events such as weddings, anniversaries, quinceaneras or other formal celebrations, please call us to speak to our Full Service Catering manager Catering manager Jose Frias at (651) 222-8499.
- Private Party Contact: Jose Frias 651-222-8499
- Entertainment: Mariachi Flor y Canto performs regularly at Boca Chica every fourth Saturday of the month from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., and for special occasions Nicolas Carter(Latin harp)and Pedro Torres(guitar)perform regularly at Boca Chica every second Saturday of the month from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., and for special occasions.
A word from Boca Chica Restaurant
Boca Chica Mexican Restaurant has served the flavorful, authentic cuisine of Mexico since 1964. It was then that Guillermo and Gloria Frias opened the doors to their new restaurant that seated only 28 patrons. Today, Boca Chica has grown substantially and is rated "one of the best Mexican restaurants in the Twin Cities," according to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Magazine’s March 2009 issue. The authenticity of the food is maintained by making everything from scratch, the old-fashioned way, with fresh ingredients. Even the fiery salsa is still made with fresh tomatoes, chiles, and that special Frias family touch. Our menu includes some of the more traditional foods such as guisados, sopes, carne asada, chile rellenos, and tamales. Taste is never compromised. We also have a full bar featuring the city’s best selection of Mexican beers and premium tequilas. Voted "Best Margarita" by City Pages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Boca Chica Restaurant - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Boca Chica Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (33)kid-friendly (21)great for lunch (19)great for outdoor dining (16)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (13)great for brunch (8)hot spot (5)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Went to the Sunday brunch buffet. It was just ok, nothing great. Would not go back
- Boca Chica Great PlacetruthmessangerVIPDined on 11/16/2014Boca Chica has been my favorite Mexican Restaurant in the TwinCities for many years. The food is good and the service is friendly and attentive. I also find it to be a good value for what you get.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boca Chica is CONSISTENTLY delicious!ChristiVIPDined on 11/7/2014My favorite is (and will probably always be) the Platilla Acapulco (build your own shrimp tacos). You get a TON of food - you could easily share this entree with someone. The shrimp are plentiful and delicious, with that fabulous charred flavor you get on a fajita plate. I can never actually eat all of this, so I don't even really make the tacos...I eat the shrimp and veggies, along with the delicious black beans, some of the rice and some guacamole. My friend ordered chicken tamales and let me have one. They were very good too, but nothing beats those shrimp...I literally crave them. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/1/2014Despite a very busy Saturday night crowd, we received truly exceptional service - friendly, attentive and genuine. Our meals were great, and we'd especially recommend the delicious albondigas special. Menu is a good mix of authentic and tex-mex, with something for everyone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Love Boca Chica- the food is awesome and the service excellent- great lunch and brunch buffet and wonderful with a group- more authentic- and a great place to have fun!Special Features:
- oldbluDined on 10/26/2014Great place to enjoy a vast array of Mexican and Tex Mex foods. Well prepared dishes a congenial atmosphere and friendly staff add to the experienceSpecial Features:
- Awesome Win-Win !Only4herDined on 10/17/2014This is my girlfriend's favorite restaurant. This time we celebrated her birthday, needless to say Boca Chica is the easiest way to keep your significant other happy and at the same time chow down on some great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great South of the Boarder FoodPeleKoolAidDined on 10/10/2014Boca Chica is a great Mexican restaurant. The food was great and so were the margaritas. The restaurant was low in waitress, so we ended up waiting a bit to get our waiter attention.Special Features:
- Busy Friday night.CherDined on 10/10/2014It was busy so be sure to allow yourself plenty of time. Food was good and the waitress was nice.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood PlaceMexicanFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/10/2014Boca Chica's been around for a while, and that should tell you something right there. Food is good basic Mexican fare that is always fresh and tasty. The drinks are yummy (the viuda negra (Black Widow) margarita is my personal favorite). Service is usually quick and friendly, though on this particular visit the server was "distracted."Special Features:
- Did you forget about us?foodforthoughtVIPDined on 10/9/2014The food was good but our waitress was very forgetful. She forgot to bring our appetizer until we mentioned it. Our drink order came about 20 minutes after we sat down. Overall, the food was good but service brought the whole experience down a bit.
- RobertoDined on 10/8/2014We came to celebrate our daughter's birthday and we all had a laugh at the special attention she received. Our twenty-month-old granddaughter especially liked the decor. Serving staff can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- regulars reminding with guestsStPauliGirlDined on 10/5/2014If my husband had his way, we would only ever eat at Boca Chica. Thanks for your consistency. We brought new friends and you made new fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSDDADined on 9/26/2014The food and the margaritas were both so good we practically closed the place down because we just kept ordering - everything was tasty and the outdoor patio is lovely!Special Features:
- Disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014The seating is uncomfortable, the atmosphere is bland, and there's a noticeable odor by the bar and front door. I ordered huevos rancheros with black beans and "potatoes." When served, the plate was scorching hot. But the beans, which were in a separate little ramekin, were lukewarm and watery. The potatoes – those were just wedge french fries. The pork was in big chunks and the red and Verde sauces were okay, nothing stellar. My company ordered the chimichanga, and it was dry without heaps of guacamole and sour cream on top.Special Features:
- Great staff and very good food!BocagrandeDined on 8/29/2014Our servers were fun and attentive. Our food was good- especially the appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-wedding deliciousnesschamplinfoodiesDined on 8/22/2014We stopped in before a wedding at the Caves and enjoyed both our drinks and the cheese-stuffed fried shrimp. We are definitely going back for a full dinner! Especially nice choices of sipping tequilasSpecial Features:
- Old ReliableMexicanFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant continues to be a stable, reliable place to go for good Tex-Mex food. The wait staff is almost always friendly and prompt and accommodating. The bar is always busy. They have lunch specials and Sunday brunch, and a nice patio that is off the street, so it feels like a real patio. Drinks are tasty with plenty of kick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jill from WoodburyJill1961Dined on 8/14/2014We picked Boca Chica because it's close to the U of MN Centennial Showboat. We had tickets to their show for our daughter's birthday and she loves Mexican food. None of the 6 of us had ever been there. We were so delighted. The food was delicious and plentiful. Especially outstanding is the pork in the carnita. And the taco salad was bountiful. We had a wonderful table on the outdoor patio on a perfect summer evening. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What do you have?JeniBDined on 8/12/2014We have dined in the past at Boca Chica and really enjoyed it. We haven't been there for a couple of years and decided to host a friend's birthday dinner there. We made reservations for our party of six at 5:30 on a Tuesday evening. Our server was very polite and efficient. In the past my husband and I have always ordered their Carnitas, which are excellent. So, 4 of us ordered the Carnitas. Our server stated they only had one order of Carnitas left (mind you its 5:30 on a Tuesday evening-should they really be out of Carnitas?) And, our friend who did get the last order of Carnitas stated it shouldn't have been served. They were also out of Dos Equis beer and fried ice cream. I was disappointed as in the past Boca Chica has been great
- Our favorite neighborhood hangoutWestSiderDined on 8/8/2014We realized that we hadn't been to Boca for quite some time and decided that we needed to revive our Friday date night at Boca at least once a month if not more as we REALLY missed the great food. Boca is the standard to which we hold all other Mexican restaurants, Twin Cities or elsewhere - it's that good and consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican foodlageneDined on 7/30/2014Boca Chica has been my favorite Twin cities Mexican restaurant since it opened in the '60s. It has groan in size and in menu options but the variety and food quality remain top notch! Margaritas are wonderful! The weekday buffet can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 394 reviews are from the Boca Chica Restaurant reviews archive.
- mikeDined on 7/19/2014Just like mom's cooking in Mexico City! Choices are wonderful, the refried beans outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Mexican FareakadietcokeDined on 7/11/2014I had heard a lot of good things about Boca Chica, but the food was just 'ok'. Felt like it was more out of a can and assembled, than made from fresh ingredients. The service was prompt and attentive, but not personal or joyful.
- wonderful Mexican farelageneDined on 6/17/2014The weekday luncheon buffet is "mucho gusto"! Food items are plentiful, tasty and well a fine selection! Our group of five had a fine meal. We hope to come again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placecusoonDined on 6/14/2014This is our favorite place to eat. We bring all our friends here and Facebook when were are here. The food is top notch and service great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DutchieDined on 6/7/2014The food was excellent. The server was very friendly but was slow to take our order, maybe because it was busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and freshChancellorofchowDined on 6/5/2014We often discuss whether or not you can say Mexican food can be described as fine dining. It is really more like comfort food. It is either authentic and fresh tasting or it is not. Boca's food is always satisfying. Some at the table had tamales and thought they were too thick. Otherwise, everyone enjoyed their meals. We had a group of nine including three children, ages four to twelve. Service was great and even a couple of picky eaters were able to enjoy their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014We have never been dissapointed at Boca Chica! They have very authentic Mexican food and wonderful service!Special Features:
- A Real St. Paul IconBonBonDined on 5/2/2014We always love to go to Boca Chica. We have been going there for many years and have always had wonderful authentic Mexican food. This time was no exception-- delicious food and great wait staff. On Saturday nights they have a Mariachi Band that really is fun to hear and certainly adds to the ambiance. It's a great place to go for lunch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodjenna777Dined on 4/5/2014I have been to Boca Chica several times and it's always good. This restaurant gets really busy on Friday and Saturday night so, a reservation is highly recommended!!
- Boca Chica3moviegoersVIPDined on 3/27/2014We went to Boca Chica for the first time and enjoyed it very much. The food was terrific and the Margaritas were, too! I had my favorite Chili Rellenos con Carne - excellent! There was plenty of food and all very good. We were there at 5PM on a weekday and it was very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boca Chica Brunch-Yummy!SaxchuckDined on 3/23/2014I have been meaning to make my way to St Paul to experience Boca Chica, and I was not disappointed! We had the Sunday brunch, and it was just wonderful. The ambience is very nice-great murals surround you, lots of fun Mexican decor. The staff was very nice and attentive. The restaurant was busy, but not noisy. The buffet line moved quickly, and the staff seemed to be constantly replenishing the different dishes. The food itself was very good-the enchiladas and flautas were spot on! I especially enjoyed the scrambled egg station-a great variety of veggies and cheeses to put in your eggs. It reminded me of the resorts in Mexico. To finish, the flan was realy nice-creamy and a hint of vanilla-yum-o! Muy Delcioso!Special Features:
- Can't argue with 50 yearsEmilyDined on 3/9/2014Owned by the Frias family, this restaurant has been in business for 50 years! The food was delicious, portion size was generous and the free chips and salsa were neverending! We had a group of 11 and they handled our big number with ease.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in the Twin Cities !TimmDined on 3/7/2014This family owned Mexican Resturant is simply the best ! Everything is prepared beautifully ! Service is very nice by great people. We had 3 kids with us and the timing & food for them was just right. My family has been coming to Boca Chicago for at least 3 generations and it's always a treat !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Mexican diningDebbieKayDined on 2/23/2014The service was excellent, our waitress was so friendly and attentive. She did mix up our orders and our bills but it worked out just fine. Food was hot and delicious and perfect portions. Margaritas were very good but they only have one size and it would have been nice to be able to order a 'large' sized one. Everyone at our table loved what they ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Boca ChicaKrissKross68Dined on 2/15/2014I have and will always love Boca Chica..fast, friendly consistent service, great food!! They also have a great lunch buffet during the week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- been around for a very longMonivaDined on 2/15/2014been around for a very long time. It is dependable, the food is good. Some dishes are more authentic, some are more of the gooey-cheesy American Mexican fare. l entrees come with Sopa, a delicious tomato and I think chicken broth based noodle soup. The salsas are quite good, the hot being actually pretty spicy and flavorful. The mild is mostly tomato sauce,. The chips are very thin and yummy. The service was excellent, attentive The enchiladas suizas was odd,. Very cheddar-y, and no chicken in the enchiladas, and the sauce was a tomato gravy, not the cream based gravy as is typical. The menu described it as they served it, so I knew what I ordered, My husband got Mi Tierra and the mole was delicious.As was the sope. Go for that one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Job!SpecialNightOutDined on 2/14/2014Great food,service and loved the little extra having music performed at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We made reservations for a special Valentine's dinner without our children. We were seated in a cozy room with a fire, serenaded by musicians and had the best waitress we've ever had anywhere in the Twin Cities. It was a very memorable night and we will back to Boca Chica's again and again!Special Features: